CDW

CDW Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards

Thomas E. Richards

Pros:
  • "There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer"
    in 55 reviews
  • "Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is sometimes quite a bit of turnover among the inside account managers"
    in 32 reviews
  • "Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Chandler, AZ - Great place to work

Chandler, AZ

ProsI have been employed with CDW for 7 years and love coming to work each day. The Chandler office has a great culture –fast paced and results driven. Hard work is rewarded and top performers in sales earn a lot of money. The company offers a great classroom training program and ongoing curriculum for leadership and personal development. Coworkers are dedicated to improving the business and our corporate environment. It’s common to see your peers volunteer their time to increase opportunities around work/life balance and professional development. Lots of fun opportunities to give back and volunteer with a variety of charities. CDW offers tuition reimbursement, vacation time, free lunches/outings, subsidized gym memberships, dry cleaning delivery, mother’s nursing rooms, and a free dietitian. Overall the people and our leadership teams that work here are fantastic!

ConsSales is not for everyone. This is a culture that requires a strong work ethic and you are responsible for your performance.

Great Work Life Balance

Eatontown, NJ

ProsCulture in the office is great. Work life balance is the best I have seen in my career.

ConsNot a lot of growth potential locally unless you relocate to IL

Great coworker environment; very positive growth within the industry and for the individual too.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsLarge company that has the perks of a close-knit smaller company as well; great benefits and knowledgeable management; great learning environment and development opportunities.

ConsNone that I have seen so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the fantastic work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrific organization with tons of opportunities.

Sales (Current Employee)
    Cherry Hill, NJ

ProsIf you want to be a career “sales guy” and you stick it out as an Account Manager, you can make a ton of money. It certainly takes a ton of hard work, dedication, and perseverance, but it has been proven to work time and time again. Pretty much every “sales class” that comes through has a top performer clearing 6 digits after about 3-4 years. There are certainly people who don’t do very well and don’t “make it”, but that is usually due to a lack of dedication and/or laziness. And yes, the average person makes a good living and sees continued income growth, it just takes longer to make the big bucks.
    Between the vendor rewards, the free food, the give-aways, team outings, etc. there are hundreds of reasons to love this place while you bust your butt each day to earn your commission. If you don’t want to just stay in sales, there are tons of opportunities to go to other groups and/or departments. The key is that you need a good 3 years of sales success under your wing first.

ConsThis is a sales job. There is cold calling. You do need to do a ton of research and prospecting in order to find qualified leads. However, success does come to those with patience and those who keep truly working hard. It is not for everybody, but if this is the type of sales job you want and/or you love technology, CDW does it the best, gives you the best resources, and gives you the best chance of succeeding.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, I think the Management is great. I certainly hear some Managers are better than others. But overall it is a good crew. My only advice would be to “stay humble and continue to learn”.

Account Manager

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGood position to get entry level experience. If in small business get in and get out. Free outings and happy hours. Many times you get free lunch hosted by company partners. Young environment and you get to wear jeans on Friday. You also get to work downtown in the loop.

ConsLow base salary, strict management who don't understand for 25K base salary many people simply don't care. Getting stricter and more micromanaging, including pipelining, forecasting, and monthly meetings with boss.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the base salary. If you really value employees pay them better and give them more flexibility. Don't micromanage.

Good ol' Boys club in full action

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary potential is great if you can execute. Diversity of products and overall portfolio is exceptional in the industry.

ConsIf you are not part of the inner circles of the management team you will go nowhere. No matter how hard you work and execute butt kissing is still the key to advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire the legacy executive team and get people in who know how to value an employee

Plenty of career opportunities within CDW to advance in your career

Senior Manager Business Systems (Current Employee)
    Vernon Hills, IL

ProsThe company is constantly pushing the envelope on getting results and because of that most of the years I've been here we've been successful, have exceeded our numbers and get recognized for that as well. Even as the company has grown significantly it still feels like a small business with a family owned feel to it. There are also many opportunities to expand your career whether that's to other teams within your same department, switching to a different department all together or progressing up the chain in your department. Also, the ability to have a flexible schedule to meet work and family needs helps tremendously.

ConsThe CDW culture is a unique one and at times can be grueling between the extra hours of effort that are needed to make sure things get done and the political landscape that has to be executed just right.

This is a very Exciting change

Network Voice Engineer (Current Employee)
    Glendale, CA

ProsJuast started so not sure completely but the support is awesome.

ConsNot setup all the way initially, but gave me plenty of time to review policies and process's.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and have the new hire completely setup before coming on board

Flag Review
    CDW Senior Manager responded to this review May 30, 2014 EditDelete
    Thanks for your review. Welcome aboard!

Great experience

K12 Sales (Former Employee)
    Mettawa, IL

ProsPay
    Time off
    Discounts
    Great management
    Excellent benefits

ConsNot much room to move up into management

The people and the culture are the best in the industry!

Corporate Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe people! They really want to help you. The culture truly promotes the coworker and you do have a say in a large company.

ConsLarge company with information all over the map. Needs to be centralized per dept. and position. It takes months to learn the back-end. This would save many hours for every coworker.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees and please keep sales to push the services. This is where we will survive in the long run.

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!

CDW Videos

CDW – Why Work for Us?

​​Companies today are only as strong as the technology that supports them. That's where we come in. At CDW, we go far beyond delivering high-tech products. We provide customized services. And we deliver solutions… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CDW reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CDW CEO Thomas E. Richards. All 585 reviews posted anonymously by CDW employees.