CDW

Updated Jun 2, 2014

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards

Thomas E. Richards

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company and corporate culture

Inside Sales Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsComing in on the ground floor does not mean that's where you'll stay. Most field and management sales positions are filled by internal promotions rather than outside hires. There is also flexibility to change your account territory after proving your competence.

Cons-Low base pay, but that shouldn't matter to sales working on commission.
    -Luck of the draw on account territory - The hiring class will tell you what segment your territory will be (med/lar, state/local gov, federal gov, education, ect.), but it's luck of the draw on accounts. You will be given a set of named accounts that could be full of potential or locked out of doing business, and the expectation is to grow that set while bringing on net new customers. This means working on multiple complex projects simultaneously, so time mgmt. is key.

Advice to Senior ManagementCDW's IPO has only slightly changed the corporate culture's dynamic. Focus on retaining the coworker talent that got the company back to IPO.

Salary

Herndon, VA

Prosgood place to work; great environment

Consbase is too low;commission structure not strong.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease gross profit percentages.

Emotional roller-coaster filled with learning and relationships.

Corporate Account Manager (Current Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsThis company can offer you some invaluable experience especially right out of college. The training is amazing with free certifications and the people you will meet are incredible. You will be placed in front of companies that value your business and will sponsor lunch and learns, raffle prizes and give you incentives to selling their products. You will certainly be successful with this company if you utilize your resources correctly and have the ability to network.

Absolutely a great company to come to right out of college or high school if you have the skills to learn, listen and communicate effectively.

ConsCDW is not for someone who is trying to support a family with absolutely no source of income coming in or money saved in the bank already. I say this because it takes time to create and maintain these relationships with these businesses, so you have to have patience and a strong determination to succeed. If you are a parent or in a bad financial situation coming to this company expecting to make a stable paycheck immediately is unlikely, but has happened in the chance of luck and a lot of skill. Make sure to be prepared for the unsteady months of consistent pay because for some the journey to a comfortable lifestyle will be long unless you don't stop and work smarter and harder than your peers!

A lot of people would picture this company as an EXCELLENT job for people who are still living at home with their parents or this is just fun for them because their bills are paid. A lot of tenured account managers whom started with the company 7+ years ago, they will openly tell you to give the job a year and then you'll start to see the potential. For some people you can't wait a full year when you have bills piling up now!

High turnover rate because of $25k base, commission is not the greatest.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEO needs to think about offering a higher base so that coming into the company isn't a regret, but the best decision a person ever made. People will come in and give their all, and still won't make a dime until months down the line. There are other companies that offer a decent base salary and and uncapped commissions with resources like ours, so to make your employees feel valued lets compensate them for their strides and efforts!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic place to work. Great culture and happy employees!

Senior Consulting Engineer (Current Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsIn my first month at CDW, I saw/heard more employees smiling and wanting to tell me how much they enjoy working here. Over the following year, I've realized why. The company, while focused on providing a great service to our customer,s believes that happy coworkers provide better customer results. They do the little things that they don't have to. Scheduled and unscheduled bonuses when you perform well, stock options, great discounts and buying programs on computer equipment, flowers when your wife (who doesn't work there and they've never met) is sick, recognition of a job well done, downtime from customer work to explore new technologies or new training avenues, working from home, etc.

ConsUnderstanding all of the various roles and titles are still a but confusing to me. While I know I have lots of different avenues for advancement within the company, its sometimes hard to define exactly which roles are vertical and which are horizontal.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing. Don't let the fact that we are a public company again change your values. Shareholders can be quite influential so you have to be strong. Great earnings for the long term are generated from happy, repeat customers. don't get overly focused on quarter to quarter earnings and keep looking at the long-term horizon. Keeping those customers happy means keeping coworkers happy. Thanks for everything you've done so far.

Work hard and no pay!

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Herndon, VA

Pros-Happy Hours and lunches
    -Free bees given out by vendors
    -Make friends

Cons25K bases salary. Zero commission check unless 80% of quote is attained 3 months in a row. quote is unfair and not equal for everyone. 60 Cold calls or 3hr talk time on the phone is required daily or be written up. Micromanaged and harassed by the managers. Managers doesn't understand the systems and not very supportive. Just get it done attitude! Required to do training that are not relevant. Commision plan keeps on changes in the benefit of the company not the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some managers that know how to manage a sales team and respects their employees. Increase base and better comm plan.

CDW Government

Program Management (Current Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsCDW Government is a company that operates with integrity from the CEO down. When the company has a good year everyone is given a bonus; not just upper management. CDW believes in helping the community and sponors events throughout the year to raise money for charities. Also, employees are give a day off per year to volunteer.

ConsGoverment Program Management has no room for growth unless you're willing to wait 7 - 10 years.

Large company but doesn't care much for the well being of their employees.

Herndon, VA

ProsThere are a lot of perks from vendors. Large company so you can work out of different offices if needed.

ConsBase salary is much too low for cost of living in VA. If one of the "backbone"/support staff makes an error that costs the company money, the account manager gets penalized.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the base salary to decrease turnover with new employees.

Great starting point

Herndon, VA

ProsNon micro-managed. You make the most of it. Great resources.Lots of perks!

ConsBase pay 25k does not cut it in Northern VA

Advice to Senior ManagementPay us more base than you did in 1988!!

Lots of lunches and free gear

Account Manager (Former Employee)
    Herndon, VA

ProsAmple training tools at your fingertips
    Limited Micromanagement
    Lots of free food

ConsGoals tied to old anomoly years result in unattainability
    Account placement randomly seels initial fate
    Continuing resolutions, budget negotiations, budget cuts

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to add, those who want to be very successful will stick it out and do their time.

satisfactory

Senior Executive Assist (Current Employee)
    Herndon, VA

Prosfeeling of family and belonging to an influential organization

Conssalary is inconsistant with local similiar businesses.

Advice to Senior Managementconsider other similar/comparable salary ranges of other companies and include everyone in bonus pool and have accouant managers share their bonuses with the support teams.

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!

CDW Videos

CDW – Why Work for Us?

​​Companies today are only as strong as the technology that supports them. That's where we come in. At CDW, we go far beyond delivering high-tech products. We provide customized services. And we deliver solutions… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CDW reviews and ratings in Herndon, VA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CDW CEO Thomas E. Richards. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by CDW employees.