CDW

Updated September 17, 2014
4.0

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 69 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Telemarketing

Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

free things, great relationships and what not--- thats about it

Cons

No oppurtunities in small business

help your employees move up in the company

Marginal

I have been working at CDW

Pros

cool people, good accounts to work with, easy to get time off.

Cons

Horrible base pay. Large amount of favoritism.

higher base pay

Good place to learn the ropes... and that's about it..

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

As a new college graduate, CDW was very good to me in regards to training and teaching me how to successfully work in the IT industry. After 2-3 years at CDW as an Account Manager I had become very marketable to other IT companies in the industry. (Manufacturers and competitors)

Cons

Staying past LOS 24 was a waste of my time.. (for the non-CDW folks, they measure their employees Length Of Service in MONTHS not years.. very telling).. CDW continuously decreases commissions by raising goals and/or trimming your account base by 20%.. They always give a good organizational reason for the changes but the net effect is always the same, less money in your pocket.. After 2-3 years I knew everything I needed to know to move to a competitor in the area that doesn't play games with compensation & accounts.

Stop playing games with Account Manager's goals and customer bases.. You are encouraging your best and brightest Account Managers to leave.. They will rebuild their success over and over again until they eventually realize they can get off the CDW treadmill and rebuild somewhere else.

fd

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Mettawa, IL

I worked at CDW

Pros

Inside sales is always good. Free food - bagels, coffee, etc. Decent co-workers.

Cons

Management is always watching and listening to your conversations, some co-workers take sales from you. Management doesn't help you.

Learn how to manage people - help them don't scold them.

CDW is a sinking ship, get Krasny back and Zeman, they know how to motivate people and take care of the employees.

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

You have an opportunity to earn a lot of money in sales. Other positions are average pay.

Cons

No work life balance
    No matter what the goals is, your never there
    They keep changing compensation
    They keep taking accounts from Sales
    Directors, Sr. Directors, Bill Weaver are very disconnected from what has made CDW great
    They are turing the place into a bunch of average to below average sales people
    It looks like HP and Dell from an inside perspective
    People are leaving in huge numbers and Management does not care

start rewarding people, stop cutting compensation. Wake up, were losing tenured account managers every day and they are taking their accounts with them. The economy is impacting our business and give some people goal relief. Sr. Management has killed the moral of the sales people. WAKE UP, morale is at the lowest level in history! Your paying people in non sales positions a lot of money to do nothing. Pipeline, meetings and spreasheets don't produce sales. The Berbee integration was a joke and no one in upper management will be held accountable. (just blame account managers, than write them up and fire them) Alienate your best account managers, then justify why they leave ,as a good!

Hard to get started, but potential if you stick around and enjoy cold calling

I worked at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, friendly atmosphere, and the potential to move up and make money. Lots of freebies given out and there are some amazing training programs for various technology systems you can take advantage of. Definitely, take advantage of the certs. Also, building relationships with your clients and helping them out with their IT needs is a rewarding experience. I tended to go out of my way just to make my consistent clients happy; that's a great feeling.

Cons

There is a lot of cold calling to begin with, and if you're not comfortable with that, this is not the place for you. Being successful really depends on the region you are in and the support from your team when you first arrive. I, unfortunately, was lacking in both of those arenas and my temporary team leader was not all too helpful in terms of training, support, and being able to effectively progress our personal business with the clients. I felt more like a telemarketer rather than a salesman. CDW hires A LOT of people right out of college and the turnover rate is enormous. Six months in less than half of my initial training team was there and morale was pretty low. That's how they weed people out (and find their talent). Also, territorial disputes between your own team members is pretty common. Many coworkers on my regional team had this, "I have mine, I don't care about you" attitude on the team. They were focused more on making their money on their paycheck (commission) rather than trying to build a stronger team.

Smaller training teams would be vastly beneficial and more direct connect with your actual team. If they focused more on sales training and ways that we could effectively sell these products, I probably would have stayed longer. There just wasn't any real, tangible or meaning support.

Misleading, Waste of your time

I worked at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CDW is a great company to be apart of. They really take care of their employees and make you feel very welcome.
    Training program is very good. Looks great on resumes.

Cons

It's like being in kindergarten. You will find a lot of drama if something slips up. This includes just having conversation at lunch with an co-worker, if it gets out, expect to be brought into a conference room and yelled at.

The base pay is 25k and there is really no potential to make any commision. The accounts are tapped out. You will find yourself cold calling accounts that a previous account manager called a week ago. It is not unlikely for you to be told to "F-OFF" when you call or just blatenly get yelled at by these companies. Stay AWAY FROM MED-LAR Segment. Get into small business where you are just receiving calls from customers and taking orders. Guaranteed commission that way. The guys right out of training were making 35-40k just by answering the phone and placing orders. No cold calling.

Like I said stay away from Med-Lar, they have currently implemented a new program, where if you do not hit your sales quota, there's a box, fill it up and leave, your fired.

Accounts are tapped out!!!! I can't emphasize this enough. You may get lucky and find a diamond in the rough, but it is very unlikely.

Insite and Dell are you biggest competitors and they will destroy you when it comes to a price battle!!! If you are going up against these companies in a quote, you will lose. You will have to sell the product at negative margin. CDW's prices are out of control and there is no room to compete. They train you to sell the services that CDW offers. SELL THE VALUE THEY TELL YOU! Well, they aren't that great because Insite and Dell piggy backs off CDW'S business model, lets them spend all the money to implement new services, copies it and adds it to their own. It's pathetic.

The only thing I can recommend since its a great company to be apart of is, stick out your 6 months- a year on the sales floor and transfer within the company. I wasn't told that this was possible until my exit interview. I was like thank you guys, would have loved to of stayed with the company but not through sales.

Enough of the kindergarten atmosphere with the she said he said garbage. It doesn't matter when your a fortune 500 company placing millions of dollars of orders a day. Employees will talk to one another, get over it and focus on your job.

Sales focused company

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Mettawa, IL

I worked at CDW

Pros

Interesting work environment. Sales team is very young and energetic. Decent salary overall. Access to a lot of new technology straight from the vendors.

Cons

the only decent salary is made through a low base pay and bonus structure to make up for it. Not much vacation time. Very Sales-centric company. CDW used to be a great place to work. It has since gone downhill

take some time and listen to your non-sales roles. look at why your company made the top 50 places to work for so many years ago.

If you work hard you can go far in this company.

Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about this company is the way they develop their employees. There is a world of knowledge that can be learned and easily accessed. I have been in the Sales industry for almost 25 years now and never received the kind of training that CDW offers to their employees.

Cons

The biggest challenge to overcome working for CDW is often compensation. There is a lot of incentive if you are doing everything you can to close deals, but the biggest battle comes from fighting the internal processes in order to make money. The constant fight to keep your deals profitable is easily the most daunting aspect of joining a sales team at CDW. That being said if you learn the system and leverage the right partner relationships the overall experience can be very rewarding.

Treat your employees like the individuals they are and try to avoid alienating the company's best resource in the shuffle of corporate minutiae.

Great experience

Former Employee - K12 Sales in Mettawa, IL
    Former Employee - K12 Sales in Mettawa, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay
    Time off
    Discounts
    Great management
    Excellent benefits

Cons

Not much room to move up into management