CDW

Updated January 29, 2015
3.9

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 71 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

People don't leave companies, they leave managers...

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Great Company Culture and Strong Guiding Principals (The CDW Way)
    - Endless Sales Resources... at time, it can be difficult to navigate the waters
    - Health Insurance is very competitive, but dental is subpar at best
    - Excellent Management Team who were instrumental in my career development

Cons

- "Process Improvements"... as soon as you learn a new operational process, it's changed and classified as a Process Improvement. I completely understand that businesses need to change, adapt and improve, but constant changes with guise of "improvement" to things that weren't even broken makes it very difficult to run a business smoothly.
    - In general, people don't leave companies, they leave managers... direct managers tend to have the most influence/impact. When reading through this and other reviews on this site, please keep in mind that they may have had a terrible manager. I was blessed with amazing managers, who have helped me develop as an individual.

Stay the course

Love working for CDW

Current Employee - IT Architect in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - IT Architect in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits package. The onboarding process is very streamlined. Coworkers are eager to help new employees get up to speed. Managers allow you to explore and learn the first 90 days without micro managing your daily schedule. You are encouraged to walk around and say hello to coworkers and learn the business. Many opportunities to learn about new technology and trends. I was allowed to use a decommissioned server blade for testing at home. I felt that I was a part of my team the first week. If I had an issue gaining access to something my coworkers and immediate manager worked quickly to address it. Senior management took time to introduce me to key professionals across the IT organization. I find the work culture is great and responsive to the business. Their are many online training courses available for free and technology companies come into headquarters to discuss there latest software and hardware products.

Cons

I can't think of any negative issues through my first 90 days. Love the work environment so far.

Keep developing talent for future growth. Sky is the limit.

Great company

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Culture, People, learning center, management and pretty much everything else you can think of.

Cons

Low starting salary compared to industry.

Keep doing a great job.

CDW is an awesome company that has a great culture

Current Employee - Field Account Executive II
    Current Employee - Field Account Executive II

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CDW coworkers at every level of the organization have an opportunity to grow and prosper if they fit into the culture. CDW has a good structure and framework for growing their employees. Training is a constant. CDW has a culture that works hard, gives to charities, encourages team work, provides its people the opportunity to build strong networks, and wants everyone to be successful. The leadership and management are very accessible. As an organization, there is a solid support infrastructure for both customers and coworkers. If you are willing to put in your time and have a desire to learn, there are opportunities to do well and grow. The company as a whole has great values and very talented people who are committed. You become a part of the CDW family.

Cons

Just like every organization, CDW does have some quirks. You will need to learn how to navigate within the organization. It can be a very big company and keeping up with change can be daunting. Compensation ranges from "average" to "can be good" for most people. For a very few amount of people, the compensation can be considered "awesome" which leads to the fact that there are many organizations that may pay better. These terms are all relative however if you're a top performer no matter your position, you may then begin to question your compensation. The trade off maybe better monetary compensation verses a great support infrastructure. You are now a part of the CDW family.

Invest and grow resources in the expansion markets faster. If you build it, business will accelerate and grow. Customers love CDW because of the friendly mid-west culture, the people, and vast resources that will help their businesses prosper. They will leverage more if more and better resources available.

Ten years and counting

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Excellent work environment and they care about the progression of their employees.

Cons

Not all employees can work from home, but some departments can.

CDW a great place to work.

Current Employee - Smartnet Sales in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Smartnet Sales in Appleton, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many nice little day to day perks such as work from home, flex scheduling and the occasion snack or lunch on the company. Fair compensation. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Leadership tends to get out of touch once in a while. Communication with direct supervisors could be better. Nothing not typical a large company.

Get a better grasp on " who does what". Overall this is an awesome place to work, but occasionally I feel like the people doing the bulk of the work get over looked for a few that play the game better.

Great Company

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Great people. Fast paced working environment. Culture of winning. High standards. Competitive compenation packages. Flexible work from home arrangements.

Cons

No real cons. I have had a great experience thus far

Interviewing Process

I have been working at CDW

Pros

-Went smoothly
    -Kept well informed
    -Clear communication
    -Kept commitments through the process

Cons

Benefits are not quite as good as past employment.

Impressions about the culture have been very positive through the interview process and on through the beginning of my employment. This was a key differentiator during the decision making process on my part.

Solid Company

Former Employee - Associate Consultant Cisco UC
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant Cisco UC

I worked at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, the people are bright, and the overall mood just feels right. There are almost too many benefits to list.

Cons

The company overall has little to no cons, but each individual branch and manager has theirs. The CDW way is preached, but not always practiced, and there are some things that were overall disappointing, such as the wrong people in the wrong positions.

Practice what you preach and meet your own expectations.

It was a very beneficial experience.

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at CDW

Pros

There were a ton of resources. This company has a lot of means to get done what they needed to do.

Cons

There seemed to be a lot of red tape. Sometimes it took a really long time to get things done.

Make the office space a little more "fun/creative"