CDW

Updated August 27, 2014

4.0

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 59 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 33 reviews)

• There is sometimes quite a bit of turnover among the inside account managers (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to build a career

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager  in  Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Because of CDW's uncapped commissions, people who put in the time and effort can see serious paychecks after a couple of years. Vendors will also constantly bring in food and host happy hours and other events. I also enjoy a great deal of control how I build my business- I get to decide which customers I want to work with and which technologies I want to talk about.

Cons

The pay early on can be difficult, but what I dislike most about CDW is how arbitrary and inconsistent account growth can be. While a coworkers success is ultimately decided by their skill and effort, it can be frustrating to see people on one team get great accounts reassigned to them, while being on a team where there are very few accounts to go around.

Good place to work

Former Employee - Solution Architect  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Solution Architect in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at CDW full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

large company that has many opportunities. Has both an inside team and an outside field team that work well together in Indiana. They take care of their people well. Good opportunities to work with many different technologies. there is a good level of communication from management to the field.

Cons

there are limited paths for advancement, Compensation might be a bit on the low side. The ability to deliver on solutions is excellent in some areas but is lacking in others, I don't see this changing soon.

I would not presume to give advice, I don't have the big picture. Things are what they are and there is no place that is perfect to work.

Great Culture/a little light on compensation

Current Employee - Field Account Executive
    Current Employee - Field Account Executive

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very innovative, excellent support and resources and wonderful work environment

Cons

Still a little committed to inside model while build field. Models are not compatible

Rather than push inside management to field roles, bring in some new blood for fresh perspective. No doubt successful inside personnel deserve advancement but field management should have field experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

nice

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than a year

Pros

great environment lots of growth

Cons

low salary, month to month business is like a rollercoaster

work from home privaledges

It is excellent, great experience

I have been working at CDW

Pros

The professional experience that you gain in this internship is amazing. Meeting with department heads and other higher ups at the school as a student is a wonderful experience

Cons

The pay is constant no matter what. You work around other peoples schedule and it is hard to get hours some weeks

Overall, a good place to work.

I worked at CDW full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of career opportunities. Newly-posted positions, including management roles are often filled from within.
    The company takes employee learning and development seriously (though the execution varies a bit from manager to manager).
    A dream team of IT industry experts works here (at least in the S3 division), so it's a great place to work if you are eager to learn about the industry.

Cons

Very sales-oriented company. This is not necessarily a con, but it permeates everything and is a big part of the culture. Even if you don't work in a sales role per se, you have to understand and embrace the philosophy or you will not get anywhere.
    Some politics and infighting between divisions (about as much as you would expect for a company of this size).
    Competition for internal management positions is incredibly tough, especially for anyone wants to make the leap to management from individual contributor (again, what you might expect at a Fortune 500 company).
    Mentoring is encouraged but spotty at best -- if you want a mentor other than your immediate supervisor, you really have to network and hunt for one on your own.
    Work/life balance varies a lot. Some roles work much longer hours than others.

CDW- Good stepping stone

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Herndon, VA

I worked at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Self starter environment, opportunity to make good money, nice people to work with

Cons

Don't expect great training initially or any additional training, extremely low base salary, Account Managers are expendable.

Find ways to retain your better AMs.

Great Sales Experience

I worked at CDW

Pros

High ceiling for growth and income

Cons

Defined territories make it a waiting game as there are a finite number of accounts out there in most territories. Many lazy people there 5+ years sit on accounts without growing them, while many younger reps are chomping at the bit to grow any account they can get.

Good Company

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at CDW full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Too long to get promoted

Give ability to junior acc managera to grow

Is What it is

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time for less than a year

Pros

Coworkers are independent and given the opportunity to make their own success however that is extremely difficult with the tiny commissions on sales., it can be down though with the right personality.

Cons

HR is pretty much non-existent and really do not care for employees, policies or conduct. Although an industry norm, its overwhelmingly male dominated which is good depending on how you take it.

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!