CDW

Updated September 28, 2014
4.0

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 66 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family (in 17 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Simply amazing, the very best company i've ever worked for. Great Company!!!

Current Employee - Associate Engineer  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at CDW full-time for less than a year

Pros

CDW not only cares about their coworkers they care about their coworkers families and friends. They recognize your potential locked inside of you and brings it out using their own business strategy and true leadership. They don't know management they know leadership. CDW doesn't lay employees off they empower their employees to overcome their weaknesses and works with their employees to empower themselves. This is a great company to work for.

Cons

The only Cons for workings for CDW is not working for CDW.

Continue the culture of CDW being the best. Continue remembering your employees being equal to or greater than your customers.

Extraordinary company!

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Wonderful people, great culture, fast paced, high energy, get it done mindset, exciting industry. This company does not have the arrogance found in other, similarly-successful companies I've seen. People are genuine and focus on culture and values is equally genuine.

Cons

If you are looking for a staid, slow paced, never-changing organization full of arrogance and deceit this is NOT the place for you.

Keep the focus on culture. It is the secret sauce

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

coworkers are given every opportunity to succeed.

Cons

sometimes the pace is too fast.

backfill positions quicker, and increase compensation. remove underperforming coworkers

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cares about the coworkers more than any company I've every worked for.

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Work life balance
    - Work from home

Cons

- Upward mobility can be a challenge

- Better leverage the talent by bringing together silos

Sales Capability

Current Employee - Sales Capability  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Capability in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CDW is the best company to work for. The training and onboarding programs, as well as wide array of resources, provide employees all the tools to be successful. The pay, promotions, benefits, perks, values, and culture, make CDW the best company to be apart of.

Cons

I do not believe there are any cons to working at CDW

Great company. Great resources. Great people.

Current Employee - Field Account Executive  in  Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Field Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Complete IT portfolio: Hardware, Software, Professional Services, Networking Services, Cloud Services

Cons

Preconceived ideas of CDW.

Career paths are a must.

Awesome

Former Employee - Branch Office Administrator  in  Ada, MI
    Former Employee - Branch Office Administrator in Ada, MI

I worked at CDW full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Perks, great coworkers, great work environment.

Cons

Corporate management not familiar with field positions and how field offices work

Industry best training enables sellers to succeed in a sink or swim environment, and make a ton of money!

Current Employee - Senior Medlar Account Manager  in  Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Medlar Account Manager in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Industry Best Training
    Tons of lateral and vertical career opportunities
    Food, events and perks are constantly provided
    For those willing to work hard and swim in a sink/swim environment, the compensation is fantastic

Cons

Very large company - sometimes you feel "like a number"
    Sink/swim environment - those not willing to work very hard will make very little money - not enough to "get by"

In regards to the compensation plan: Upper Management needs to recognize that as a sales organization, sellers need to be put first. While we understand that a publicly traded company is focused on EBITDA - we also understand that human beings go through ups/down in life and in a sales role, the downs sometimes affect work performance. Dealing with outrageous goal hikes and making half as much money as the previous year due to goal-penalties leads to poor morale of what is sometimes top talent, rather than compensation being a motivating factor. More times than not, compensation becomes a "fear factor" rather than a "motivating driver" for many new CDW sellers.

If you work hard you can go far in this company.

Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor  in  Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best thing about this company is the way they develop their employees. There is a world of knowledge that can be learned and easily accessed. I have been in the Sales industry for almost 25 years now and never received the kind of training that CDW offers to their employees.

Cons

The biggest challenge to overcome working for CDW is often compensation. There is a lot of incentive if you are doing everything you can to close deals, but the biggest battle comes from fighting the internal processes in order to make money. The constant fight to keep your deals profitable is easily the most daunting aspect of joining a sales team at CDW. That being said if you learn the system and leverage the right partner relationships the overall experience can be very rewarding.

Treat your employees like the individuals they are and try to avoid alienating the company's best resource in the shuffle of corporate minutiae.

Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This company is a great company it's a place where you get rewarded for hard work - through help from superiors and/or through higher wages you earn from your hard work through sales. In my experience you are not micromanaged and I often times go days without seeing or speaking to my manager. This largely due to the fact that I work extremely hard and he hasn't have to motivate me to work.

Cons

Mediocrity is too commonly accepted. Unfortunately there are far too many people that do not work hard or put in the needed work to truly be successful. This isn't really a CDW thing, however as I'm sure this is common at most places in the country.

I don't have much to say here as I think most things are in a good place. I'm in sales, so I'll always say that the commission plan should always be higher!

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!