CDW Reviews

Reset
4.0
CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • Management tries to be flexible with work life balance (in 71 reviews)

• Some flexibility concerning work from home (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers did not care about work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

1. Featured Review

It is a fast-paced, winning culture that allows you to positively affect many people, both personally and professionally

Current Employee - Manager, Strategic Solutions & Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager, Strategic Solutions & Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

1. The People - At CDW, relationships matter...with Customers, Partners, Community and each other 2. The Culture - Every day is different, and there is never a dull moment 3. The Values - Everything we do revolves around the Customer. Success means never being satisfied and we operate our business with passion and integrity.

Cons

The pace of change in our industry is, at times, overwhelming, and we are often asked to do more with the same amount of resources...or sometimes less. But, with the right mix of time management, prioritization and communication, successfully navigating constant change is achievable.

Advice to Management

Within a performance-based culture, such as CDW's, the focus on success is important. Allowing our Coworkers to maintain a positive work/life balance is also important to prevent overload and burnout.

CDW Response

May 6, 2015 – Senior Manager

CDW is a high performing organization with a record of delivering results. We know this wouldn't be possible without the dedication of our coworkers, our supportive culture and our unwavering ... More

Senior Account Manager

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Run your own business, with the power of a $12B company to support you! If you're motivated to learn and make money, this is the place for you! CDW also strives hard to develop a great corporate culture. Every day on the job is different - you won't get bored.

Cons

The technology industry is constantly changing, and the sales industry demands continuous improvement. Not everyone is willing to put in what it takes to keep up.

3. I feel lucky to work here

Current Employee - Executive Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Chance to make fantastic money, top notch "family-like" culture, great job opportunities within the company, great benefits, great leadership.

Cons

Not many. If you work hard CDW absolutely takes care of you, as do the people. All the cons I think of are day to day things you'll deal with at every job/employer.

Advice to Management

Continue to interact with AM's as much as possible. It's motivating to have top notch execs spend time with AM's and show they really do care about how we're doing.

BEST PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED... Hopefully the last place I will ever work!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CDW hires and trains the best people and teaches a culture that can not be beat. I look forward to coming to work each day because of great people I get to work with. CDW has great leadership, who set clear goals and expectations, and who then give the tools and resources to achieve them. CDW is highly respected in our industry(IT) by our Partners. Our strong reputation with our partners leads to more business and better service to our customers The pay and benefits are excellent(though it takes time to build your sales and thus your income.) One of my favorite benefits, which never makes it into the benefits section of the job description, is the way we are cared for in the office. We are constantly being fed, clothed(vendors provide work polos and pullovers) and entertained(outings, happy hours, trips and other events.) We are better trained and better prepared than any of our competitors which shows to our customers and helps us to win their trust and to earn more business from them... which in turn helps me make more money We build strong relationships with our customers, with our partners, with our community and with each other. As an Account Manager, I love the account ownership model and the fact there is no cap to commissions. CDW puts a great deal of trust in its account managers and allows us to run our business as we see fit(with in reason) Lastly this is the one place I have ever worked where when the management says they want to see work life balance, they mean it. I have never had an encounter with anyone who asked me to put my job before my family

Cons

THIS JOB IS BY NO MEANS EASY, It requires a lot of hard work, but does come with its rewards(see above) From time to time there are process put in place that do not make sense, at least from my perspective, and those are usually easily resolved, or at least explained with satisfaction. We have a large number of products and work with a great number of vendors so it can be daunting to learn to work with all of them and to get them to work together. Lastly financial success at CDW takes time. Early in my career I did not make a lot of money. I had to work and be patient to get my book built up to the point where I needed it to be... It was however very clear that if I stuck to it I would exceed my expectations.

Advice to Management

Please consider a ramp up period for new account managers to help them make more in the early stages.

6. Good Company

I have been working at CDW

Pros

CDW takes great care of their employees. Great people

Cons

Warehouse can get very humid or hot

7. Good atmosphere. Tough to make money

Former Employee - Account Manager in Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Shelton, CT

I worked at CDW (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy hours. Fun people. Lot of free lunches and happy hours. Easy quota. Lots of fun events and trips

Cons

It can be difficult to make money. Can be very boring at times. A lot of pretending to work. Low base salary

Advice to Management

Don't micromanage your employees so hard because it comes off as annoying and distracting. Give employees more opportunities.

People Who Get IT!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

Strong focus on coworker engagement and skills development. The IT market for technology is hot, and CDW is in the right place to serve the needs of our customers. Coworkers in the office care about each other, community involvement, and projecting a successful brand.

Cons

Not much to say here. Love my career, love my coworkers, love the challenge in front of me.

Advice to Management

Always remember to listen to coworkers, customers, and partners. The market will lead us to the right places to invest.

Account Manager - AZ

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great environment to work in, fun company culture. management very invested in personal career growth. great place to grow professionally and network in the IT industry. very lucrative if you are dedicated and willing to work hard.

Cons

takes time to build book of business, first 6 months to a year is very intense.

10. Great people

I worked at CDW (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great division. Would go back!

Cons

Changed a little when they went public

11. CDW-G Campus Inter

Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Great Networking Opportunity Staying Engaged on Campus Learning beyond the classroom Gain Communication Skills

Cons

Can be challenging, but this only leads to strength and improvement!

Advice to Management

Keep creating opportunities for interns to interacts and continue to encourage them!

RSS Feed </> Embed