CDW Reviews

Reset
4.0
CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • Management tries to be flexible with work life balance (in 71 reviews)

• Some flexibility concerning work from home (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers did not care about work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

1. Featured Review

It is a fast-paced, winning culture that allows you to positively affect many people, both personally and professionally

Current Employee - Manager, Strategic Solutions & Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager, Strategic Solutions & Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

1. The People - At CDW, relationships matter...with Customers, Partners, Community and each other 2. The Culture - Every day is different, and there is never a dull moment 3. The Values - Everything we do revolves around the Customer. Success means never being satisfied and we operate our business with passion and integrity.

Cons

The pace of change in our industry is, at times, overwhelming, and we are often asked to do more with the same amount of resources...or sometimes less. But, with the right mix of time management, prioritization and communication, successfully navigating constant change is achievable.

Advice to Management

Within a performance-based culture, such as CDW's, the focus on success is important. Allowing our Coworkers to maintain a positive work/life balance is also important to prevent overload and burnout.

CDW Response

May 6, 2015 – Senior Manager

CDW is a high performing organization with a record of delivering results. We know this wouldn't be possible without the dedication of our coworkers, our supportive culture and our unwavering ... More

BEST PLACE I HAVE EVER WORKED... Hopefully the last place I will ever work!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CDW hires and trains the best people and teaches a culture that can not be beat. I look forward to coming to work each day because of great people I get to work with. CDW has great leadership, who set clear goals and expectations, and who then give the tools and resources to achieve them. CDW is highly respected in our industry(IT) by our Partners. Our strong reputation with our partners leads to more business and better service to our customers The pay and benefits are excellent(though it takes time to build your sales and thus your income.) One of my favorite benefits, which never makes it into the benefits section of the job description, is the way we are cared for in the office. We are constantly being fed, clothed(vendors provide work polos and pullovers) and entertained(outings, happy hours, trips and other events.) We are better trained and better prepared than any of our competitors which shows to our customers and helps us to win their trust and to earn more business from them... which in turn helps me make more money We build strong relationships with our customers, with our partners, with our community and with each other. As an Account Manager, I love the account ownership model and the fact there is no cap to commissions. CDW puts a great deal of trust in its account managers and allows us to run our business as we see fit(with in reason) Lastly this is the one place I have ever worked where when the management says they want to see work life balance, they mean it. I have never had an encounter with anyone who asked me to put my job before my family

Cons

THIS JOB IS BY NO MEANS EASY, It requires a lot of hard work, but does come with its rewards(see above) From time to time there are process put in place that do not make sense, at least from my perspective, and those are usually easily resolved, or at least explained with satisfaction. We have a large number of products and work with a great number of vendors so it can be daunting to learn to work with all of them and to get them to work together. Lastly financial success at CDW takes time. Early in my career I did not make a lot of money. I had to work and be patient to get my book built up to the point where I needed it to be... It was however very clear that if I stuck to it I would exceed my expectations.

Advice to Management

Please consider a ramp up period for new account managers to help them make more in the early stages.

People Who Get IT!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

Strong focus on coworker engagement and skills development. The IT market for technology is hot, and CDW is in the right place to serve the needs of our customers. Coworkers in the office care about each other, community involvement, and projecting a successful brand.

Cons

Not much to say here. Love my career, love my coworkers, love the challenge in front of me.

Advice to Management

Always remember to listen to coworkers, customers, and partners. The market will lead us to the right places to invest.

5. Account Manager - AZ

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great environment to work in, fun company culture. management very invested in personal career growth. great place to grow professionally and network in the IT industry. very lucrative if you are dedicated and willing to work hard.

Cons

takes time to build book of business, first 6 months to a year is very intense.

6. CDW-G Campus Inter

Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Great Networking Opportunity Staying Engaged on Campus Learning beyond the classroom Gain Communication Skills

Cons

Can be challenging, but this only leads to strength and improvement!

Advice to Management

Keep creating opportunities for interns to interacts and continue to encourage them!

7. CDW Intern

Current Employee - Campus Intern in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Campus Intern in Richmond, VA

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Some of the pro's of this internship is the opportunity to learn about the fundamentals of business and how it applies to modern technology. Along the way, you will meet a lot of people who can shed important light on your career and assist you in both your personal and professional development.

Cons

One of the major Cons of this internship is the school/work balance. Although it is communicated that school comes first, at times it feels as if the expectations are a bit high to maintain a healthy school load.

Advice to Management

Communicate the job duties a bit more clearly. At point of hire, it is stated that this role is primarily research oriented, which is true, but there are a lot of sales generation techniques that are expected, and you do need to be comfortable with both the generation and the recognition of when a potential opportunity is in front of you.

8. Campus Intern

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at CDW

Pros

A lot of experience which you will not be able to find hardly anywhere as an intern. While most internships have the stigma of just being a fetcher, this internship has allowed me to expand my business skills and interact with customers regularly.

Cons

It can be difficult at times to streamline communication when you live in a different state, but this is hardly ever an issue.

9. Inter field account rep

Current Employee - Inter Field Account Representative in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Inter Field Account Representative in Norman, OK

I have been working at CDW

Pros

This job is very beneficial and will help me with whatever job i choose in the future. It has really opened my eyes to getting a job involving technology. The thing I enjoy most about it is that technology is always changing. Another pro is that you get to build a lot of relationships around campus. These connections help you more than you think. Also by meeting with different customers around campus it has helped me build my public speaking skills while also learning some key characteristics I need to take to my job in the future. Overall the biggest pro to this internship has to be How flexible it is. I love being able to make the meetings on my own time. This makes it easy to have an internship while also being able to stay focused on school work.

Cons

There really are no cons to this job!

Advice to Management

The management here is great. They are always very helpful and will always help you when you have questions.

10. Big Company that doesn't feel big

Current Employee - Business Development in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Business Development in Madison, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

visibility of and access to top leadership. I am only a supervisor, yet I routinely have opportunities to interact with SVP's and executive leadership. The culture not only allows for change, it promotes change... fixing things that are "broken" is typically impossible in companies this size; that's not the case at CDW... There is an sentiment here that, while things are very good, they could be better - and we are all responsible & empowered to change things & fix things.

Cons

health benefits are mediocre. Growth of the services segment is coming mainly through use of more contractors, which limits some of the "team" atmosphere to services groups. Being public equates to the classic Q-end push to sell anything that's not bolted down

Advice to Management

Services segments need to grow even faster if we expect to hold onto profit margins. This isn't unreasonable given the size of the sales force. Continue to stay visible & approachable.

11. Corporate Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

1) The training. Very in depth, you basically go through 3 separate phases of training for about 6 months until you are released to work with your team. They have a great structure. Training focuses on learning the technology they sell, how to sell, and how to utilize the wide immense of resources CDW has. 2) Culture- having worked in multiple different positions, it was refreshing to be somewhere where there was no office politics going on. Everyone seems to get along, and they do a great job of establishing a positive atmosphere. Managers don't micromanage (unless you get a rare one that does) 3) Perks- So many benefits and perks that come with working here. From discounts, to networking events, to constantly having partners and CDW supply food for their workers. Prizes for selling certain things as well. 4) Definitely the best inside sales job in the market. It is relationship-consultative selling, so after a year-2 years most of the job is just servicing your accounts. 5) Opportunities to move into different roles (if you are goof at your job obviously)

Cons

It is fairly stressful at first, lot of information to learn and can be information overload. They pay your first 3-5 months is going to not so good, but if you have the patience to learn and become eligible for commission, you will start seeing the rewards With there being so much food offered, it can add up quickly.

Advice to Management

better starting salary

RSS Feed </> Embed