CDW Reviews

736 reviews filtered by
3.9
CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 71 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

1. Great first job

Current Employee - Account Manager in Eatontown, NJ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Eatontown, NJ

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Office culture is great. Great coworkers. A lot of fun to go to work. Tons of room for growth.

Cons

Base pay is very low. Commish structure is tough too. Keeps your salary low for the first 4 years.

Base pay and commission structure needs to change in order to keep employees longer.

Inside Sales Account Manager review after 3.5 years

Current Employee - Executive Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Executive Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is truly a great company and it is what you make of it! Showing up to work every day doing the same thing over and over again will not get you very far or get you to where you want to be financially. You've got to be very ambitious, hard working, free thinking and quick on your feet - unfortunately most people in this country do not meet any of these....especially the hard working part! I came into this job with a determined attitude and told myself I'm going to work harder than anyone else. I typically spend 12-14 hours a day working - not because I have to, because I want to...I want to beat my competition! Unwillingness to work outside of 9am-5pm is a reason so many do not find success in this position. By my third full year here I positioned myself to earn a substantial amount of money year after year. While most were complaining I was working. While most were going to lunch I was working. Point being, if you're willing to put in the time and effort you can succeed and do well. Unlike most other comments regarding base salary, I wish it were lower than $25k! High risk means high reward!

There are unlimited amounts of resources at this company - whether internal or from the manufacturers themselves. It all falls on the shoulders of the rep if they're having issues or problems. Be accountable and don't expect everyone to do everything for you. Be a free thinker, think outside of the box and get it done!

Cons

Operations should be penalized/pay docked if they make mistakes that costs the reps/company money. There's no accountability for these positions. Nearly every day I spend too much time double checking the work of operations to ensure they did their jobs correctly. Numerous times they've made mistakes and it wastes my time to review and point out to them - or an order goes out incorrectly and hurts me financially. If their compensation were tied to performance, like it is in sales, then they would hopefully be more thorough and detail oriented,

The strong employees in the sales force keep the weak links afloat (adders, reduced commission). I know it's difficult these days, but try and trim the fat. There are a lot that simply do not pull their weight.

Make sure you know what drives your numbers and department measurable's and focus on that.

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Average health insurance plan, partially subsidized by company and partially paid by employee. The annual coworker appreciation day is nice. Work from home is definitely a great perk if your position allows. Pay is ok (not great) for hourly office staff, probably better in sales as they are commission based.

Cons

Too many events (annual free Teddy Bear and Children's Holiday party) for those with smaller children, not enough for those with grown kids or no kids. Lots of freebies and incentives for sales force, but not many for the other departments. The annual fundraiser is obnoxious, numerous emails each day begging for donations. Technology in backbone departments is lacking at best....antiquated processes and outdated system capabilities. One shared printer for dozens if not a hundred or more coworkers.

Send supervisors and managers to quarterly coaching seminars to improve performance at that level. It will trickle down to the rest of the workforce once consistent coaching is achieved. Update technology in backbone departments. Add printers in departments that need them. Have giveaways and parties that include all coworkers, not just those with children. Higher pay for office staff in supporting roles.

My first 20 months

Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Madison, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well managed company, both upper IT and consulting services

Cons

Too much of sales is still stuck in the reseller business.... but they are changing their ways..

Keep going on the path you are on.... you have great partnerships with Cisco, EMC (vmware) etc. Try to work on your Microsoft relationship more...

6. Best place to be a consultant... EVER!

Current Employee - Senior UC Consultant in Wausau, WI
    Current Employee - Senior UC Consultant in Wausau, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay, low billable requirement. Constant project pipeline. Excellent management. Great benefits.

Cons

Lower vacation time than most.

Give us more vacation?

7. Long Time employee, zero room for growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong company financials, company is growing year to year currently.

Cons

Low salaries, and zero effort in getting market value for job done.

8. Corporate environment highlights

Current Employee - Backbone Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Backbone Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mid to high end of the market salary ranges. Benefits are average to market standard.

Cons

For a technology provider, CDW lacks being a cutting edge corporation. They are behind in offering coworkers operational tools needed to work more efficiently. Advertise to potential hires as offering a reasonable work/life balance - which does not exist. Coworkers told business needs must be a priority.

360 Reviews a must!!!

9. Great work environment

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Great managers, good potential for upwards mobility within the IT sales industry

Cons

Life for corporate seems to be much more difficult than federal, try to apply for the fed class if possible, high turnover, must survive on 25k base for a while until you grow your book of business.

Raise base salary to retain sales resp

New employee - Great Starting point into the industry!

Current Employee - Partner Renewal Specialist
    Current Employee - Partner Renewal Specialist

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Work life balance
    - Collaborative Environment
    - Satisfactory pay scale
    - Benefits

Cons

None that I can see at the moment, every job has it ups and downs. The only thing that matters is how you deal with them.

Doing a great job so far...no issues, open door policy, easy communication.

Amazing company to work for as a Consultant!

Current Employee - Network Voice Engineer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Network Voice Engineer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

+ People passionate about technology
    + Excellent technology support group
    + The collective brilliance and technical knowledge is mind boggling
    + Geeks rule!!

Cons

+ At times you are reminded that you are still part of a big red machine kinda company