CDW Reviews

Reset
4.0
CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • Management tries to be flexible with work life balance (in 71 reviews)

• Some flexibility concerning work from home (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers did not care about work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

1. Featured Review

It is a fast-paced, winning culture that allows you to positively affect many people, both personally and professionally

Current Employee - Manager, Strategic Solutions & Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager, Strategic Solutions & Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

1. The People - At CDW, relationships matter...with Customers, Partners, Community and each other
    2. The Culture - Every day is different, and there is never a dull moment
    3. The Values - Everything we do revolves around the Customer. Success means never being satisfied and we operate our business with passion and integrity.

Cons

The pace of change in our industry is, at times, overwhelming, and we are often asked to do more with the same amount of resources...or sometimes less. But, with the right mix of time management, prioritization and communication, successfully navigating constant change is achievable.

Advice to Management

Within a performance-based culture, such as CDW's, the focus on success is important. Allowing our Coworkers to maintain a positive work/life balance is also important to prevent overload and burnout.

CDW Response

May 6, 2015Senior Manager

CDW is a high performing organization with a record of delivering results. We know this wouldn't be possible without the dedication of our coworkers, our supportive culture and our unwavering ... More

2. Great company, great benefits and great people

Current Employee - Account Manager in Eatontown, NJ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Eatontown, NJ

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Health benefits are great.
    -The work life balance is OK, not 100%.
    -Tons of perks, from trips to catered food from various partners almost every day of the week.

Cons

Some of the sales managers act a bit 'bully' like, but thats just a select few. The base pay for sales could be a little higher, but the commission makes up for it IF you do well.

Advice to Management

The base salary for new hires for the first 1 to 2 years could be a little higher and could keep the turnover rate lower. Make sure to pass opportunities to travel to everyone, not just select few Account Managers. Some of the managers like to pick the same one or two people for EVERYTHING.

Brand Manager

I have been working at CDW

Pros

CDW has a great work life balance. There is strong management within the company that does a good job of leading their individual teams. It truly is a great place to work.

Cons

Because CDW knows it is a good place to work, they feel they do not need to pay a competitive salary. If you come to CDW from the outside make sure you negotiate for a competitive salary because it will be your one opportunity to make a fair wage. After that, yearly raises are small and salary increases from promotions are insignificant.

Advice to Management

Pay your loyal employees who have been with the company for a long time a fair market wage. Hard working loyal employees should not be penalized for working for one company for a long period of time.

Opportunity is what you make of it

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a leader in the industry has its advantages: can be easier to win against competitors due to abundance of in house resources, large warehouse, tons of free giveaways like food,nice items, trips,etc. Once you have a flow going the pay is gets a little better. Cool, relaxed culture to a degree if you get involved with company network groups, outings, etc. If you don't like what you are doing, mgmt works with you to help you find a career that fits within the company. If you're self motivated and smart about how you play the cards you're dealt, you can make a career for yourself at this company. You just need to be confident, there is money to be made here.

Cons

Although there are some amazing people here, there are some really lazy people with bad attitudes that stay forever with no ambition to grow their accounts or careers and mgmt seems to be ok with that across the board. These people literally do nothing and wait for people to leave to get accounts, and they get them and coast. Depending on your segment, your team, your manager it can be limiting in your growth. This is a big reason they lose talent and customers wonder why they are switching AMs every year. The base obviously can be better for AM. It goes hand in hand with attracting talent, as opposed to keeping a portion of untalented folks.

Advice to Management

For a multi-billion dollar company, you can afford to attract better talent. Managers, challenge yourself to develop talent on your team, you're wasting so much unused potential, and you wonder why you have only 5% market share. If you see an AM actually growing business, challenge them with bigger opportunities, don't just throw stuff to AMs who pad their calls for touches with 0 talk time. What does a "touch" mean if it leads to nothing. Also, you don't need to be buddies with your team and turning a blind eye. Be a manager and you'll earn respect by taking interest in their work.

6. Great company to work for!

Current Employee - POS Systems Solution Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - POS Systems Solution Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is great!
    Salary is decent
    Benefits are decent
    Always good promotion within

Cons

Not enough training for the backbone folks

7. Great place to work

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Madison, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I like the flexibility and work/life balance. I make on my schedule, I work remotely when I need to. The management team is great and there for me to provide guidance and direction when I need but at the same time I am my own boss. Plenty of locations that I can move to if I want. The company truly appreciate the employees and willing to go out of their way to make things right.

Cons

Sometime it takes too long to implement a change. Moving up can be a challenge since there are limited positions available unless you are looking to change area.

8. IT

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Lack of communication between areas within the company. Project or new services brought in need more resource planning.

Great starter company

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Great to start working, great training program, a lot of potential to make a lot of money

Cons

not many people can handle the struggle of making very little money at first, it will take time to grow a book of business

Advice to Management

Really listen to your account managers, they are at the front lines of what customers are saying.

10. The CDW Way

Current Employee - Account Manager/Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager/Sales Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upon coming to CDW, I realized they have a totally different culture from any other company that I have ever worked for! They are definitely about making money, but they do it in a manner that is not full of pressure or micromanagement. I realize that CDW definitely takes good care of their employees through various opportunities to show employee appreciation, one example being renting out all of Six Flags for only CDW coworkers and their families! CDW always makes Forbe's list for "Best Places to Work", and I definitely understand why.

Cons

The downside is that I would like to get paid more.

Advice to Management

I feel that my manager is great and I have not had any bad experiences. I rarely hear about bad experiences with management and I heard it is very difficult to get fired from here. Someone would have to do absolutely nothing to get fired!!

11. Great Place to Work For

Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer

I have been working at CDW

Pros

I love working at CDW. The best group of highly technical people that I've ever had the opportunity to work with. They have an importance of everyone, and it shows!

Cons

I don't really have any cons.

Advice to Management

You are doing great! Keep it up!

RSS Feed </> Embed