CDW

Updated December 17, 2014
3.9

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 71 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome company offering great opportunities for career advancement

Current Employee - Technical Lead in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Lead in Tampa, FL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Although CDW is a larger company, the different organizations within the company are separated in a way that makes it easy for employees to be recognized and move up within the organization. The compensation is top notch and the make sure employees feel appreciated. CDW "gets IT" when it comes to employee satisfaction. CDW's management is always focused on being a few steps ahead of the market which makes me feel very comfortable about long term potential with CDW.

Cons

Working in CDW's professional service organization has the same drawbacks of working for any other IT consulting organization. Travel requirements and potential for working long nights from time to time. With those drawbacks comes the great flexible schedule that typically accompanies IT consulting jobs.

During onboarding, I was told that CDW is always looking for the "win/win" to the point that we aren't rooting for our competitors to lose. I found that concept hard to believe but I have seen over and over again that CDW makes ethical decisions and does what is right for our customers. Keep that mentality, it is huge for employee moral!

Great Learning Experience

I worked at CDW full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to work with some of the greatest technology manufacturers in the world. Very fast paced environment. A family/community feeling.

Cons

There is oftentimes a sense of favoritism in terms of advancement. Also, once you accept a salary, expect percentage based raises (if any). Be sure to feel confident in the salary you negotiate for the level of work you will be doing. Some accounts are more demanding than others, thus expectations vary.

There should be more mentoring in terms of helping people who show interest in climbing to greater heights.

Inside Sales Account Manager

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great first time job to get your feet wet and learn how to talk to people over the phone in a sales-context.

Cons

It's easy to feel unimportant and like a tiny cog in a huge machine.

I felt like I would get the most challenging assignments because they knew I would work really hard, but that didn't always mean I got the most money. Would have liked to get a couple "easy" customers mixed into my territory.

Great Company, Great Job

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CDW has an excellent team, good compensation and good benefits. The management team does a great job of listening to everyone's input. I love it here.

Cons

They are growing very rapidly and they are struggling to hire people to fill the workload. Expect long hours and times when you may be doing the work of 2 or more people yourself.

Ramp up the recruiting efforts.

Good first role

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training is top notch, especially for those with little experience. Laid back culture with a lot of freedom in your day. Managers are typically promoted from within so they have been in your shoes before and really care about you. Lots of perks: free lunches, sporting events, happy hours, etc. Company is trending in the right direction and continues to capture more and more market share.

Cons

While it is a good place to start and gain sales experience, the base salary is low enough where if you have a bad month in sales, you aren't making much money. The job itself is easy, though, and the established AMs can make a killing.

Just installed software to monitor calls, view computer screens, etc. Do not appreciate being watched by "Big Brother".

Great Company to work for

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team environment. Management is very flexible and cares about your well-being. Great compensation for support staff and good benefits. Training program is very thorough and they offer ongoing support.

Cons

New to the company. I have not encountered any so far.

Great place to build a foundation for a career in the technology industry.

Former Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Positive work environment, very friendly people
    -Excellent training program
    -Great variety of functions in which you can work and explore your interests

Cons

-The benefits are great but salary growth is a challenge in functions outside of sales.

Keep up the great work, some differentiation will be necessary with the increased commoditization of the products CDW sells over time. Growth in the services practice will be key, but more competitive advantages will need to be developed to succeed in the long term.

Strong company

I worked at CDW

Pros

Strong financially stable company. Great people. Good operations

Cons

Still getting used to field organization

IPOs are all the same

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, great benefits, office culture, flexible schedule, certification and tuition reimbursement, customers tend to be okay. The ticketing software we use is incredible.

Cons

I have been here for several years and its gone from a privately held company to a public company. There were promises that it would be better with investor money, but all they've done is tighten their belt at the end of every year and make decisions conducive to enriching the shareholders rather than the customer. I work in Managed Services which was acquired before the IPO and it's a constant fight to maintain the policies that worked for so long rather than taking the shortcuts corporate believes will make us the cash-cow they expected in the first place. Corporate should have stuck with resale since they don't understand managed services.

"Can I? Should I? Am I sure?" That's our ethics policy. Reign in sales, because they're sure of a whole hell of a lot of insanity when a commission is on the line. Life has been hell the last 10 months thanks to questionable sales tactics. Don't let sales sell things that we aren't prepared or staffed to handle. And for the love of all that is company acquisition, understand what it is that your company offers. There is so much underutilization on some teams that it's a joke.

great start

I have been working at CDW

Pros

awesome potential very depndant on manager for opps

Cons

revolving door on some segments