CDW

www.cdw.com

Good place to work

Current Employee - Federal Account Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Federal Account Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Uncapped commission, great people to work with.

Cons

Hard to get good accounts. Most of the vets have them and they aren't going anyway anytime soon.

comp plan

I worked at CDW

Pros

The comp plan is very attainable

Cons

Low base pay makes it hard for new people learning the business

Increase base pay at least for the new people for the first 6 months

Could be better, Could be worse, overall not good.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CDW is a great company. I love all of the people I work with, and i have a very nice and caring direct manager who is very helpful with day to day things.

Tons of resources to help you sell.

The more tenured co workers are very helpful as well.
    Lots of free breakfasts/lunches and happy hours from vendors.
    Lots of money can be made if you get the right manager and right accounts and stick around long enough

Great industry to be in, I have learned a TON. Great training program as well.

Paid time off is good. Benefits are OK.

Cons

I'll try not to go on too much, but so much favoritism, butt kissing, and politics go on here. The amount of calls you make, and how long you are on the phone are monitored each day. People cheat the system by calling fax machines and voicemails all day, and get praised for it because it looks like they made a lot of calls with a lot of talk time. People call their family and friends and get credit for the talk time and calls. And people get rewarded accounts for it, right in front of my face. Seems like the only way to keep up is to do the same thing, which I don't do currently and will never do. Then for the people who are making legit calls but not "as many" as the people who aren't, get emails from management saying "This is not acceptable, time to step it up". Managers only care about hitting their goal, and don't care if you are profitable or not come the end of the month.

I've seen people get rewarded accounts that come in after me and leave before me every day, and that i am consistently selling more than, and/or working harder than. But it goes back to cheating the system in that "They make more calls than me" because CDW is too big of a company to go in and check everyones calls to see if they are legit or not.

A lot of luck is involved, first day on the sales floor a fellow new co worker got a $40k order before even talking to the customer, and got praised and rewarded for it.

Management plays favorites. But this goes on at every company.

Base pay is unbelievably low. 25K, non negotiable. Been the same since 1990. I feel like a huge dummy for turning down 35K and 40K bases from other companies.

I often feel like a dog in a cage, it's a slow paced environment.

Happy hours and lunches are nice, but they don't pay the bills.

Expected to make 40 outbounds a day, but kind of hard when I only have 35 accounts to call into, and prospecting is mostly a waste of time because there are so many people who have the same territory as myself.

Overall it's not the ideal job if you want to live on your own and do things you enjoy, simply because it is not affordable. Luckily I had plenty of money saved before I started at CDW.

I'll be leaving when the right opportunity comes along.

Look into who your employees are calling, call them out on having 65 outbounds, ask who they called, and what they talked about. You'll be surprised to see what you find. A lot of voicemails, and calls to family and friends.

Make the base higher, you will lose tons of talent, and scare off tons of great potential account managers.

People don't leave companies, they leave managers...

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Great Company Culture and Strong Guiding Principals (The CDW Way)
    - Endless Sales Resources... at time, it can be difficult to navigate the waters
    - Health Insurance is very competitive, but dental is subpar at best
    - Excellent Management Team who were instrumental in my career development

Cons

- "Process Improvements"... as soon as you learn a new operational process, it's changed and classified as a Process Improvement. I completely understand that businesses need to change, adapt and improve, but constant changes with guise of "improvement" to things that weren't even broken makes it very difficult to run a business smoothly.
    - In general, people don't leave companies, they leave managers... direct managers tend to have the most influence/impact. When reading through this and other reviews on this site, please keep in mind that they may have had a terrible manager. I was blessed with amazing managers, who have helped me develop as an individual.

Stay the course

CDW is an awesome company that has a great culture

Current Employee - Field Account Executive II
    Current Employee - Field Account Executive II

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CDW coworkers at every level of the organization have an opportunity to grow and prosper if they fit into the culture. CDW has a good structure and framework for growing their employees. Training is a constant. CDW has a culture that works hard, gives to charities, encourages team work, provides its people the opportunity to build strong networks, and wants everyone to be successful. The leadership and management are very accessible. As an organization, there is a solid support infrastructure for both customers and coworkers. If you are willing to put in your time and have a desire to learn, there are opportunities to do well and grow. The company as a whole has great values and very talented people who are committed. You become a part of the CDW family.

Cons

Just like every organization, CDW does have some quirks. You will need to learn how to navigate within the organization. It can be a very big company and keeping up with change can be daunting. Compensation ranges from "average" to "can be good" for most people. For a very few amount of people, the compensation can be considered "awesome" which leads to the fact that there are many organizations that may pay better. These terms are all relative however if you're a top performer no matter your position, you may then begin to question your compensation. The trade off maybe better monetary compensation verses a great support infrastructure. You are now a part of the CDW family.

Invest and grow resources in the expansion markets faster. If you build it, business will accelerate and grow. Customers love CDW because of the friendly mid-west culture, the people, and vast resources that will help their businesses prosper. They will leverage more if more and better resources available.

Ten years and counting

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Excellent work environment and they care about the progression of their employees.

Cons

Not all employees can work from home, but some departments can.

CDW a great place to work.

Current Employee - Smartnet Sales in Appleton, WI
    Current Employee - Smartnet Sales in Appleton, WI

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many nice little day to day perks such as work from home, flex scheduling and the occasion snack or lunch on the company. Fair compensation. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Leadership tends to get out of touch once in a while. Communication with direct supervisors could be better. Nothing not typical a large company.

Get a better grasp on " who does what". Overall this is an awesome place to work, but occasionally I feel like the people doing the bulk of the work get over looked for a few that play the game better.

Great Company

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Great people. Fast paced working environment. Culture of winning. High standards. Competitive compenation packages. Flexible work from home arrangements.

Cons

No real cons. I have had a great experience thus far

Interviewing Process

I have been working at CDW

Pros

-Went smoothly
    -Kept well informed
    -Clear communication
    -Kept commitments through the process

Cons

Benefits are not quite as good as past employment.

Impressions about the culture have been very positive through the interview process and on through the beginning of my employment. This was a key differentiator during the decision making process on my part.

Solid Company

Former Employee - Associate Consultant Cisco UC
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant Cisco UC

I worked at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The benefits are great, the people are bright, and the overall mood just feels right. There are almost too many benefits to list.

Cons

The company overall has little to no cons, but each individual branch and manager has theirs. The CDW way is preached, but not always practiced, and there are some things that were overall disappointing, such as the wrong people in the wrong positions.

Practice what you preach and meet your own expectations.