www.cdw.com

Updated January 30, 2015
3.9

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 71 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Lack of structure and lack of big picture strategy

Current Employee - Corporate Sales Operations in Mettawa, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Sales Operations in Mettawa, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees are innovative because there is basically no structure.
    Lots of food which is bad if you don't want to gain weight.
    Employee diversity - they are very supportive of gay rights.

Cons

No structure or systems in place across the board. Get your act together! No structure may have worked 20 years ago when CDW was a small company but if they expect to succeed long term they need to put some resources into building a structure or fail.

Big egos in middle to upper management - please leave your egos at the door. You're not that great. Sometimes I snicker inside or cringe in embarrassment at some of the self-appraising statements I hear. This group (middle to upper management) are way more unprofessional than other large companies I've worked for. It appears they try to hire women that fit the 'mold' however they tend to be high strung monsters to work for. Again, the egos at CDW tend to be out of control especially considering that no one in leadership I ever encountered attended above a tier 3 or 4 university. There is a lot of un-professionalism and nepotism in management which really kills the morale. The favoritism is rampant and to get ahead you better brown nose the right people and fit a certain mold.

Revolving door in sales - VERY HIGH turnover. You never know when your 'coworker' or manager is just going to disappear one day. The company fires people for stupid reasons - usually it's political. They must have to pay a lot of unemployment compensation. Employees feel like there is an invisible hatchet over their neck - not a great way to promote good employee morale. In fact, it seems it's counterproductive. I have seen really good account managers start to fail when they're 'scolded' for inconsequential issues.

Strategic big-picture thinking is not encouraged. Instead there is a lot of micromanaging and focus on unimportant details while missing the big picture completely.

An immature culture - lower/middle management does a lot of finger-pointing and blaming. Lots of nice, hardworking people have had to leave the company because a woman above them has control issues. Make sure when you promote a 'coworker' to be a people manager that the power over others doesn't go to their head. Also, start making them accountable for what goes on under them. A failing employee is usually due to a lack of clear direction and the ability to motivate and grow. Treating human beings the same way you'd treat your dog when they have an accident in the house is demeaning!!! I have also noticed a lot of condescending management styles and the use of humiliation to correct errors. Not a great way to get the best from your employees and it makes it very awkward for coworkers like me that cringe when we see this. Remember it's not just stressful for you and the person being 'scolded like a child' - it's very stressful for others around them. Be professional and take care of this stuff behind closed doors. Embarrassment and demeaning adults = bad management. Childish behavior from people in management should NOT be encouraged.

The communications in this company are horrible! Not only do we rarely hear anything to explain company goals by the executives but when I have seen communications, I cringe at the grammatical errors and inability to articulate strategy clearly. Seriously the entire top tier of CDW needs some housecleaning!!!

I really don't see this company succeeding long term.

Stop taking away our commissions and realize the goals you are setting are getting impossible to meet. I can't wait to leave!!

Work on being able to articulate the WHY and HOW of the company's strategy and goals. If you can't clearly explain it, how do you expect your employees to adopt it.

Stop using the word 'coworker' instead of 'employee' - it comes across as totally insincere in your authoritative company culture. We're not stupid.

Your pay is substandard. If you want to keep great employees, reward them with money. Daycare centers and workout centers don't apply to a lot of employees. We show up to work for pay to support our families, not bagels.

Develop more trust in your employees instead of trying to spy on them. Your new cubicle design will not foster collaboration. It will cause even more infighting and distractions. I can't stand having to sit next to someone who's very loud on the phone. I need to concentrate to do my work. Executives, if you like that design so much then maybe you should give up your large private offices and collaborate with each other. Maybe setting an example and walking your talk would get the rest of us on board. If not, then stop throwing us together like rats in an overcrowded cage.

I am spending a lot of my efforts in finding a job with a company that pays better. Hopefully before I have to share a cube with 6 'coworkers.'

The working from home program is a joke. You can just tell management wants to get rid of it.

No identity

Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

teaches how corporate America works
    willing to try new programs and/or improve

Cons

greedy senior executives
    no identity or direction
    low morale
    affirmative action department

Get out as soon as you can!

Great 6 years until we switched bosses and it all went downhill from there.

Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits,401k, won 3,000 bux Ina raffle my 2nd week, good people, they treat you good if you work hard.

Cons

Raises suck. Doesn't matter how much work you do or what your doing you still get paid the same. They start configuration techs at 12.31 and u work2pm to 11pm plus mandatory overtime. So ice gotten home at3 in the morning. They treat you like you are lucky you have a job because they will replace you in a second.

I quit after6 years because they hired someone to run the config center w no experience at all. They hire brown nosers as bosses and the bosses to do nothing at all But sit all day. They also put more work on the people who are dedicated to their job. Overall management is a joke in configs. I would still be there if they didn't hire a joke of a config supervisor and another supervisor who I worked next to for 6 years and decided to treat me like crap once he became boss.

Good beginniner company to work for

Current Employee - Account Manager in Eatontown, NJ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Eatontown, NJ

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The environment is pretty great, the people are all very relaxed

Cons

Extremely low pay, Extremely monotonous work

Raise the base salary if you don't want your talent going to other sales company.

Account Manager Review

I have been working at CDW

Pros

I have been a public sector Account Manager for 7 years. In a sales role you will not be micro-managed. There is the potential to make well over $100k if you end up in the correct segment.

Cons

Based salary is half of the industry standard. If you sell in the Public sector you must pay all the contract fees and freight out of your commissions; something they don't tell you in the recruiting process. It is nearly impossible for AM's to switch segments once hired. The training program does not teach you what you really need to know to be successful and their CRM tool is buggy and unstable. Limited travel to meet with your customers.

Public Sector AM's need a comp plan competitive with the rest of the industry. AM's need to be in front of their customers a minimum of once per quarter. Seasoned AM's should be allowed to live in their territories and telecommute(we sell this tech, lets use it). Our business model of only having inside sales and very few FAE's is a failing business model. Customers and partners all admit that they prefer to work with someone that is local and provides face time.

Great Stepping Stone

Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a young, energetic atmosphere. I learned a lot about new emerging technologies in several different product categories. CDW has a great training program. They take on employees that do not have IT or sales experience. I was able to get the experience I needed for the next job. The hours are great. You can workout during the day. Great prizes and competitions.

Cons

The pay is low. A bad manager can really effect your development. CDW has ways of taking a little more than they should from commission.

The base pay should be higher.

Account Manager

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Great Perks and able to build a strong network

Cons

No room for career advancement

na

N/A

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, It is a place to pick up great contacts to keep. This is a great place for recent college grads, and great training program.

Cons

They tend to micro - manage people, promotions are based on time with the company not ability. If you love sales this is a place for you.

Opens doors

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Orlando, FL

I have been working at CDW part-time (more than a year)

Pros

will get you in front of any employer for an interview

Cons

strict hourly pay but easy position if you do what is asked of you

Keep doing the fun things you do

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding Leadership and company culture founded on the CDW Way. Company is totally committed to coworker engagement and development along with work/life balance. Truly listens to its coworkers and over the years has built a workout center on campus and offers hot lunches, dry cleaning services, coworker discounts, etc

Cons

Since I am relatively new to the Company I have not come across any Cons or negative issues after 3 weeks.

Keep doing what you are doing by modeling the CDW Way and being committed to Coworker development, engagement, and work/life balance.