www.cdw.com

Updated December 17, 2014
3.9

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 71 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

86 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Outstanding Leadership and company culture founded on the CDW Way. Company is totally committed to coworker engagement and development along with work/life balance. Truly listens to its coworkers and over the years has built a workout center on campus and offers hot lunches, dry cleaning services, coworker discounts, etc

Cons

Since I am relatively new to the Company I have not come across any Cons or negative issues after 3 weeks.

Keep doing what you are doing by modeling the CDW Way and being committed to Coworker development, engagement, and work/life balance.

Great 6 years until we switched bosses and it all went downhill from there.

Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits,401k, won 3,000 bux Ina raffle my 2nd week, good people, they treat you good if you work hard.

Cons

Raises suck. Doesn't matter how much work you do or what your doing you still get paid the same. They start configuration techs at 12.31 and u work2pm to 11pm plus mandatory overtime. So ice gotten home at3 in the morning. They treat you like you are lucky you have a job because they will replace you in a second.

I quit after6 years because they hired someone to run the config center w no experience at all. They hire brown nosers as bosses and the bosses to do nothing at all But sit all day. They also put more work on the people who are dedicated to their job. Overall management is a joke in configs. I would still be there if they didn't hire a joke of a config supervisor and another supervisor who I worked next to for 6 years and decided to treat me like crap once he became boss.

Great culture but lacks in total rewards

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is great. Everyone works well together and collaborates. CDW generally encourages new ideas and empowers employees to make decisions.

Cons

Compensation is well below industry standards for roles outside of Sales. CDW discourages their partners from hiring their employees which pigeonholes coworkers who want to leave CDW but remain in the IT industry, especially when the salaries at CDW are so low.

Seriously consider making changes to the compensation structure. The current structure does not allow the hiring of talent due to salary ranges or retaining truly talented coworkers.

An honest evaluation of CDW

Current Employee - Inside Sales- Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales- Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food frequently, chance at going to sporting and other events, work-life balance is attainable. A lot of good people work here and CDW is also a great resume builder.

Cons

Compensation does not match performance, and is constantly changing. I have been here 4 years and it has changed 3 times. Favoritism by management toward those more senior. Boss in many regards controls your opportunity and earning potential by awarding accounts at their discretion. Company makes many thousands off of their sales force and pay them next to nothing.

More technical training to sales on the advanced solutions we sell to make us more creditable to customers. A better pay structure for sales, no one can live on a 25K base if they have an underperforming year in sales.

Good company with lean back office

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong culture focused on execution and success. There is a true commitment to giving back to the community and worthy charities. Benefits are good but not the best out there.

Cons

Back office functions like Finance, HR, IT are very lean organizations in terms of resources and dollars but expectations on delivery and service are still very high. Many systems and processes feel like they're 'bandaged and duct taped together'.

team placement is key

Former Employee - Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The academy training was a great way to jump into corporate sales after graduating college. I acquired many skills I continue to use in my current job. Positive office culture with nice perks day to day.

Cons

The long-term compensation really depends on how hard you work to sell. The sector you sell into is a big determinant of where the opportunity is to sell. Can you make money in all sectors? Sure, but it it will be much harder in others.

Make sure you see everyone.

My experience at CPE was excellent. They take care of their employees.

Current Employee - Sales and Use Tax Auditor in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Sales and Use Tax Auditor in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You will learn a lot there if you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

There were really no cons to working there.

I enjoyed my time at CDW

Former Employee - Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I was in a non-sales position. The benefits are great, time off is generous once you hit 3 years. In my department office culture was great as was work-life balance (2 work from home days per week).

Cons

no more than 10% increase in pay no matter what type of promotion or position you were going to.

Great company culture

Current Employee - Marketing in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Excellent work life balance
    -Supportive Management
    -Great Benefits
    -Friendly Coworkers

Cons

I can't think of any cons at this time.

Relatively Good experience

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance mostly, great team members

Cons

Pay well below the market unless you are in sales warning good commission. Poor recognition

Actually act on feedback from employees