CDW Reviews

1. A/R Specialist

Current Employee - A/R Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - A/R Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are very good here.

Cons

Management could have a better attitude towards employees

Advice to Management

Hiring supervisors and promoting seniors should be based on skill level and experience, not based on how likable individual is to the direct managers.

2. Great benefits and work culture/life balance.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Top-notch IT department - lots of people who really know their area of expertise.

Cons

Negotiate a salary that is acceptable to you when you interview. The annual performance review/merit increase process rarely results in even a 3% salary increase, even for stellar performers.

Advice to Management

Salary levels need to be more competitive with not only the market, but within teams with team members doing essentially the same work - I've seen as much as a 42% salary disparity between such team members with equal job responsibilities/time with the company.

Make sure you know what drives your numbers and department measurable's and focus on that.

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Average health insurance plan, partially subsidized by company and partially paid by employee. The annual coworker appreciation day is nice. Work from home is definitely a great perk if your position allows. Pay is ok (not great) for hourly office staff, probably better in sales as they are commission based.

Cons

Too many events (annual free Teddy Bear and Children's Holiday party) for those with smaller children, not enough for those with grown kids or no kids. Lots of freebies and incentives for sales force, but not many for the other departments. The annual fundraiser is obnoxious, numerous emails each day begging for donations. Technology in backbone departments is lacking at best....antiquated processes and outdated system capabilities. One shared printer for dozens if not a hundred or more coworkers.

Advice to Management

Send supervisors and managers to quarterly coaching seminars to improve performance at that level. It will trickle down to the rest of the workforce once consistent coaching is achieved. Update technology in backbone departments. Add printers in departments that need them. Have giveaways and parties that include all coworkers, not just those with children. Higher pay for office staff in supporting roles.

5. Long Time employee, zero room for growth.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong company financials, company is growing year to year currently.

Cons

Low salaries, and zero effort in getting market value for job done.

One of the top places to work.

Current Employee - Product Management in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Product Management in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

The company offers good benefits and perks and shares it's success with it's coworkers.

Cons

The salaries in some departments could be higher.

Advice to Management

Ideally, promotions should be from within and based upon seniority.

Love working for CDW

Current Employee - IT Architect in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - IT Architect in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits package. The onboarding process is very streamlined. Coworkers are eager to help new employees get up to speed. Managers allow you to explore and learn the first 90 days without micro managing your daily schedule. You are encouraged to walk around and say hello to coworkers and learn the business. Many opportunities to learn about new technology and trends. I was allowed to use a decommissioned server blade for testing at home. I felt that I was a part of my team the first week. If I had an issue gaining access to something my coworkers and immediate manager worked quickly to address it. Senior management took time to introduce me to key professionals across the IT organization. I find the work culture is great and responsive to the business. Their are many online training courses available for free and technology companies come into headquarters to discuss there latest software and hardware products.

Cons

I can't think of any negative issues through my first 90 days. Love the work environment so far.

Advice to Management

Keep developing talent for future growth. Sky is the limit.

Great 6 years until we switched bosses and it all went downhill from there.

Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Configuration Technician in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits,401k, won 3,000 bux Ina raffle my 2nd week, good people, they treat you good if you work hard.

Cons

Raises suck. Doesn't matter how much work you do or what your doing you still get paid the same. They start configuration techs at 12.31 and u work2pm to 11pm plus mandatory overtime. So ice gotten home at3 in the morning. They treat you like you are lucky you have a job because they will replace you in a second.

Advice to Management

I quit after6 years because they hired someone to run the config center w no experience at all. They hire brown nosers as bosses and the bosses to do nothing at all But sit all day. They also put more work on the people who are dedicated to their job. Overall management is a joke in configs. I would still be there if they didn't hire a joke of a config supervisor and another supervisor who I worked next to for 6 years and decided to treat me like crap once he became boss.

9. CDW

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Outstanding Leadership and company culture founded on the CDW Way. Company is totally committed to coworker engagement and development along with work/life balance. Truly listens to its coworkers and over the years has built a workout center on campus and offers hot lunches, dry cleaning services, coworker discounts, etc

Cons

Since I am relatively new to the Company I have not come across any Cons or negative issues after 3 weeks.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing by modeling the CDW Way and being committed to Coworker development, engagement, and work/life balance.

An honest evaluation of CDW

Current Employee - Inside Sales- Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Inside Sales- Account Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food frequently, chance at going to sporting and other events, work-life balance is attainable. A lot of good people work here and CDW is also a great resume builder.

Cons

Compensation does not match performance, and is constantly changing. I have been here 4 years and it has changed 3 times. Favoritism by management toward those more senior. Boss in many regards controls your opportunity and earning potential by awarding accounts at their discretion. Company makes many thousands off of their sales force and pay them next to nothing.

Advice to Management

More technical training to sales on the advanced solutions we sell to make us more creditable to customers. A better pay structure for sales, no one can live on a 25K base if they have an underperforming year in sales.

Great culture but lacks in total rewards

Current Employee - Brand Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is great. Everyone works well together and collaborates. CDW generally encourages new ideas and empowers employees to make decisions.

Cons

Compensation is well below industry standards for roles outside of Sales. CDW discourages their partners from hiring their employees which pigeonholes coworkers who want to leave CDW but remain in the IT industry, especially when the salaries at CDW are so low.

Advice to Management

Seriously consider making changes to the compensation structure. The current structure does not allow the hiring of talent due to salary ranges or retaining truly talented coworkers.