CDW Reviews

Reset
3.9
CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • Management tries to be flexible with work life balance (in 71 reviews)

• Some flexibility concerning work from home (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Managers did not care about work-life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 37 reviews)

Good to a point

Former Employee - IT Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Overall CDW is a great company. They truly listen to their co-workers and provide great perks and pay attention to the little things that matter to employees.

Cons

The IT department can use some changes in leadership. The company's differentiator is their IT solutions but many lag behind. There is too much protecting their own jobs at the highest levels versus doing what's right for the business including making changes at a senior level.

Advice to Management

Tom RIchards is awesome. Make some changes to move the entire organization forward.

2. New employee experience

Current Employee - Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

CDW has an extremely encouraging coworker environment. The company is looking to grow all of the coworkers and is continually looking for ways to best utilize all of the resources available to create a positive working environment and a successful company.

Cons

I haven't found any yet. I haven't met anyone yet that has said anything negative about working at CDW, whether it is a coworker or someone else who knows someone that works here.

Advice to Management

Keep growing and stay energetic and positive.

3. Good place to work

Former Employee - Finance Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Finance Supervisor in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to learn and prove yourself.

Cons

Not too much room for advancement

5. AP Resolutions Analyst

Current Employee - AP Analyst in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - AP Analyst in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

Benefits, Tuition reimbursement, opportunity to grow flexible

Cons

communication, ability to work from home

Enjoyed by time at CDW

Former Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Employee - Senior IT Project Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company and very profitable. You can learn about the company quickly and build strong professional relationships.
    Limited IT outsource. The majority of IT and QA are located in US/Canada and employees.
    Good health benefits
    Work at home 1 day per week

Cons

Limited opportunity for grow and promotions in IT Corporate.
    CIO is stuck in his old ways and micromanages his direct reports.
    Small bonus based on company and individual performance for contributors.
    Salaries are low for Sr. IT Project Managers.

Advice to Management

When you hire experience IT employees, give them a career path and opportunities for grow. Otherwise, talented employees will leave in 1-2 years.
    Unfortunately, you have lost some talented employees and they have taken internal CDW knowledge with them.

7. Not as pretty as you think

Former Contractor - Accounts Payable Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL
    Former Contractor - Accounts Payable Specialist in Vernon Hills, IL

I worked at CDW as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

SOME people are good people, unfortunately when it comes down to it - you're just a number. You'll definitely get your hopes up working for cdw

Cons

Fake, I was promised a permanent placement once I'd "work out" according to the management, I inherited a big workload of a girl who was behind, who inherited it from a girl who was behind, came into this job with zero knowledge of how cdw processes work. Within a month I got the hang of it, 3 months into the job I got cdw caught up in accounts payable department, after which they ended my contract as I was no longer needed. Took my "accounts" so to speak (whatever), and gave them to other employees to handle.

I was extremely thorough, very fast, accurate, and knowledgeable, it was one of their biggest mistakes to end my contract. Nothing but lies, after I was let go it struck a fear among the rest of the department folks. I know 'cause I still talk to a girl that works there.

Advice to Management

Don't lie, don't tell people that it's a "temp to hire" opportunity just because you want them to come in for 3 months and clean your sh.t up, where in all reality you have ZERO intentions of hiring them.

as for compensation - I found out while I was there that I wasn't the only one that was SERIOUSLY underpaid. I'll let you be the judge of the "real" cdw

Fortunate & Proud To Be Here

Current Employee - A/R in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - A/R in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are awesome, the pay is very good and work/life balance is perfect. Management is very flexible with the schedule should things like life come up.

Cons

I find their process for selecting supervisors a bit off and slightly unfair. They seem to promote people that are "yes sir" people and not those who challenge current procedures to make improvements.

Advice to Management

It's not always a good idea to put the same type of people in Supervisor positions. Sometimes "shaking things up" helps big and improves productivity and morale.

Services Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consulting Engineer in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

They recognize achievement, reward accomplishment, and recognize loyalty.
    The company has managed to maintain a culture where there is mutual respect and a sense that we are all in this together.
    I believe people feel as though their work contributes to the company success and that they share in the benefits of that success.

Cons

There is a tendency to coddle some senior coworkers who have not kept up with changes.
    Until the last few years, I have generally had a very good sense of direction. What my job is was pretty clear. Now I find myself pulled in several different directions without a clear idea of which ones are my priorities.
    Everything I do at work is aimed at driving business. Yet, when it comes to critiquing my performance, only about a third of what I do is seen as of value.
    I don't often feel that my immediate management has much interest in my team.

Advice to Management

Although I have tried to be flexible over the years, and have been a proponent of having people do more, I am starting to see the downside of this. My mission is getting a little too nebulous. I am not clear if my job is sales, engineering, or creating services offerings.

Flexible work and coworker-friendly atmosphere

Current Employee - Product Manager in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance and hours flexibility, including working from home and flexible hours. Very few job security worries for good performers. Good office culture, including fun events and networking opportunities. Lots of opportunities to take on new responsibility and learn new skills.

Cons

Salary. Definitely below market average salaries and benefits. Internal transfer compensation issues mean the longer you work at CDW, the greater the gap is between what you earn and what new hires earn. The best and brightest tend to leave for the partner community. Also not much opportunity for promotions.

Supervisor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

I have been working at CDW

Pros

The culture is very dynamic with strong leaders across the board. There is a culture of family with constant collaboration to solve an issue or manage a project. I have been at CDW close to 8 years and love going to work every morning.

Cons

I have none in my experience.

CDW Response

May 11, 2015Senior Manager

At CDW, we believe leadership is a key driver in the performance of our business. As a result, we created the CDW Leadership Model to invest in leadership development and designed tools to help ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed