CEB Reviews

1. Print Designer

Current Employee - Print Designer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Print Designer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, decent salary and good place to start a career, work-life balance (you're not allowed to work more than 40 hours a week in my job). Overall, a good job for someone who is young and single.

Cons

No career growth or mobility, department-wide micromanagement , a lot of turnover recently

Advice to Management

The print design department has an extremely feelings-oriented environment--which is great if you're a people pleaser. If you're more objective-oriented, don't expect management to respect or acknowledge your opinions--even if what you're stating is right.

A great place to start out.

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Very collegial.
    -People are kind and understanding
    -Engaging and exciting business

Cons

-Sometimes tough hours
    -Low Pay
    -Really when you think about it, there isn't much to complain about.
    -Im not much of a complainer anyhow

3. Good for starting a career

Former Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is sink or swim at CEB. When you start you will have to learn quickly and deal with lost of responsibility is no time. It is a great place to quickly advance and get exposure to senior executives. You really understand what other companies are doing and the challenges they are facing.

Cons

Growth opportunities at CEB slow down considerably at the mid-management level. People in mid management tend to be stuck with little chance to advance and senior management very reluctant to let anyone into the inner circle. The senior management team has been in place for so long there is no innovation or fresh ideas. There are several senior leaders who are narcissistic egotists and enjoy preying on the new hires. The employment experience varies considerably by department and work-life balance is impossible in some roles.

Advice to Management

Bring new blood into senior management team. Hire outside expertise. Invest in technology solutions. Get ahead of the next downtown so 2009 is not repeated.

Don't waste your time.

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a young culture, and a very smart group of young professionals. The location is awesome.

Cons

Churn and burn culture. Managers cannot accurately develop talent. High turnover, highly stressful environment. The role does not develop you for a career in sales.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the BDX position.

Stability vs. Making an Impact.

Former Employee - Revenue Support Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Revenue Support Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're surrounded by very smart people, so your intellectually stimulated more than other companies I've worked at. You also have access a lot of really great information that can help you become a better manager. As a whole it's a good experience, if you're looking to manage entry level sales associates and teach them the basic, but you won't feel like you're really part of the "sales team". You're more handling their day to day output vs. feeling like you're making a real impact to the company.

Cons

Unless you started years ago, it's tough to hit goals, and I only see it getting even more difficult. Everyone you're calling knows who CEB is and it's only getting tougher to find those willing to speak. As a top performing associate, you're also at somewhat of a disadvantage to hitting your personal goals, as you'll likely be paired with a top performing sales executive to support, with tough accounts and high demands. Lots of career conversations for Associates, but very few for manager personally ( I don't think I ever was even asked what I wanted to do short and long term). Also extremely low compensation. I took a 50% pay cut for the role, which is what I wanted, but left for a 100% increase in earnings opportunities.

Advice to Management

Invest in making the product more interesting to prospects vs. just shoving it down their throats, rethink goals, invest more in making sales feel important (even if that means more compensation). Pay people more.

7. Good managers, lots of career development opportunities.

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEB takes a lot of its own advice, so management practices are overall pretty stellar. The number of bad managers is pretty low. I've put a lot of time into advancing my skills while at the company, so they've pretty well let me shape the kind of work I do. There's a lot of support for taking new responsibilities and growing if you're willing to be engaged and try for it. Work-life balance is very good.

Cons

Because work-life balance is very good, lower comp than some other companies that hire top-decile talent. They need to get better at encouraging flexibility for people who want to try a different team or part of the company - a rotation program, for instance.

Advice to Management

People get tired of doing the same thing over and over - that's the biggest complaint I've heard, but it really hasn't been an issue for me. Learn to circulate people in different teams, different roles.

8. Very Fast-paced, collaborative, flexible

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Prior to joining CEB, I worked at several other companies, and can say that the people that I have met here are some of the smartest, most energizing people I've ever worked with in a professional setting. The work that the firm does is also very interesting and impacts thousands and thousands of other companies, which is very cool to be a part of. On a personal level, I'm grateful for the volunteer service hours and the flexibility that I have which allows me to better blend work/life.

Cons

It is incredibly fast-paced and if you can't juggle multiple, simultaneous key deliverables, it will be hard to keep your "head above water." CEB is a global company, so depending upon your role, you may have early calls or late calls with other locations. The constant flow of work and global setting sometimes makes you feel like you've always go to be "on."

Advice to Management

Certain locations only offer certain roles; consider allowing staff members outside of DC to work in traditionally DC-roles.

good to start career ; all politics to advance

Former Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture completely depends on the division you work in - some groups are more professional and others act like a legitimate fraternity - one thing that is common is that all of the divisions are genuinely fun to work in. In my entire tenure at the company, I maybe came across 5 people that were belittling/rude/impossible to work with. Everyone from senior management to support staff is friendly and willing to help. This is a fantastic company for people just moving to locations where they have a branch, and fresh college graduates. You learn so much about business in general and then specializing in the group you work in and have access to all of the best practice research that CEB churns out (and once you leave, you realize how valuable that is).

Cons

Compensation is far lower than market average, not just for sales, for most junior to mid level positions. Work-life balance is non-existent, and there is no line between personal and professional life - especially when you finally realize everyone is sleeping with each other. Advancing beyond what you were hired for is incredibly hard, again unless you are close with a higher up. When I was leaving CEB, especially in the DC area, the most common comment I would hear at interviews was "wow, you've been there X years, that's like double at any other company". The reputation that CEB has with staff churn is incredibly accurate and known to companies that have heard of CEB.

Advice to Management

Completely revamp your retention strategy; there are yearly surveys "diagnosing" employee engagement which come back consistently with areas of development and an overall rating of disengagement. Why not actually take tangible actions against that and keep your best players? I personally know of Sales staff that were leaving and were offered 2/5k as a retention bonus after it was made clear their new position paid 30+% more. It's incredibly insulting to say the least. Stop preaching about talent when you don't actually invest, grow, and keep your HiPos.

10. I had a great time at this company for a year right out of college.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great managers
    -Great Benefits
    -Good work-life balance (out by 5:30pm/6pm every day)
    -Proximity to senior execs at companies

Cons

-Lower starting salary than other consulting firms
    -Many analysts leave the firm after a year or two

You will feel miserable the entire time.

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Coworkers
    They try to make the environment fun by bringing in food and having happy hours

Cons

All you do make 100+ dials a day, hopefully get an appointment, and then send a report of the prospects information to your Sales Executive. That the entire job in a nut shell.

The opportunity to actually get an appointment with someone is incredibly rare it seems, I would compare it to fishing at night with a spear and no flashlight. The girl I sat next for 4 days, making over 120 dials, didn't speak to a single person. That is the most draining and wasteful use of your time.

Clients are not interested in hearing about CEB since they have been called over and over and over again. You will here clients tell you "No" so many times that it will wear you down, probably explains CEB's high turnover of BDX's.

I had two managers at CEB. One was my Sales Executive who would make me feel that I was wasting her business leads and that something was wrong with me. The other was my team manager who everyday would tell me I am doing something wrong with out providing one on one support on how to strengthen my language when speaking with clients.

I know there are great managers that will work with you and help develop you as an employee, but the others will micromanage you and unhelpful.

Advice to Management

Managers need a stronger training program improve their skills in running a team and helping individuals.

RSS Feed </> Embed