CEB
www.cebglobal.com Arlington, VA 1000 to 5000 Employees

CEB Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014
CEB – Arlington – “Corporate Executive view (Photo thanks to Flickr…”

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III

Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance, work different from KPOs (better), cooperative sr"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Access to a network of c-level executives, learning about corporate strategy and research that helps the clients"
    in 19 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is great at some times of the year, lacking during others"
    in 29 reviews
  • "senior management changes frequently which affects the career growth of individuals"
    in 33 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A confused company

I have been working at CEB full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of vacation days: entry-level employees get 15. Not bad. Clients include many top companies. THE place to be if you want to get over fear of cold-calling. Its VA office probably has the best view of DC I've ever seen. Building itself is very nice.

ConsThe company serves some good clients--88% of the Fortune 500 and many other, smaller firms just going public--on every corporate function including marketing, IT, operations, strategy, finance, sales, compliance, etc. CEB pioneered the Challenger Sale methodology. If you've never heard of CEB before, that's probably its main claim to fame.

On the inside, however, all the advisory and best practices it gives to its clients fall apart. Employees aren't trusted (I'm supposed to send a confirmation email when I'm 'up and running' at precisely 830am on a snow day despite the fact that I'm respnding to emails and my IM client is on).

That might be partly because employees aren't the greatest. I don't mean to be snobby, but it often feels like I'm back in college around the hardcore partiers. That insane bar crawl you did this past weekend? Must have been great, but is it really necessary to go into the gory details in the elevator with the folks from Deloitte?

I really got a kick out of the CEB-badged dudes hoisting cases of Bud Light down the main road during lunch hour...that will work wonders for your brand.

There seem to be some good managers, but my experience hasn't been so great. Lots of the lower-level managers seem immature and unready for their role.

Basically, if you're serious about your career, this isn't the place to be. You want a solid brand with solid people, and CEB doesn't have that.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees. Hire better ones if you must, keep them around longer, and care a little about your brand.

Great Culture, Great CEO

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at CEB full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYoung, entrepreneurial, intelligent people, well run organization, based on solid business principles, great culture to learn and absorb

ConsYou go to learn, not to get paid

Neutral

I have been working at CEB full-time

ProsSmart People
opportunities at the beginning of career

ConsSlower growth later in the career
Sales focused culture

Great place to start your career

Account Manager (Former Employee)
Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time for more than a year

Pros- Decent starting salary.
- Opportunity to be promoted and move within the company fairly quickly.
- Relaxed atmosphere.
- Decent work/life balance, except for closing days at the end of the quarter and end of the year.

Cons- They promote people into middle management before they are really ready and they have no clue what they are doing.
- Immature co-workers.
- The biggest problem is that the product is not that great and needs improvement. It was hard to re-sell current clients on a product I did believe had value.

Advice to Senior Management- Focus on getting better talent in middle management and retaining employees for a longer period of time so they can bring value to the company over time.

Great company if you're just starting out

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than a year

Pros-I've had the opportunity to work with a couple great managers and senior leaders on my team. With that being said, yes, your experience does ride on which team and which office you're in.
-Managers and leaders (at least in the SF office) are open to talking about career development and to listen/help you -- you just have to seek them out and ask for their time. This is one great thing about the SF office. It's small, so individuals across the practices are all located on one floor and get to know each other.
-Lots of opportunity for self development with the research
-Exposure to corporate-level executives at a wide variety of organizations

Cons-Managers are able to work remotely and quite a few of them are remote most of the time (as in living in SoCal or Sacramento), which leaves the office empty at times.
-Your experience depends on the team you work on. Unfortunately, I've had to put up with some snooty individuals on my team. This is coming from individuals that support an Account Manager, same as me. They might be a level or two above me, but that doesn't give you the right to look down on me and give me attitude. It's like high school with popularity, sheesh.
-There's little wiggle room when it comes to sales operations processes. It can seem a little stifling. Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still.
-I know they try to provide all the development and learning opportunities they can, but sometimes it came be a little too much. At times, they're a waste of time.
-Could use more opportunities outside of revenue in the SF office.

I learned a lot and had a great time at CEB

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CEB

ProsThe upper management cares about all employees. My identity was not lost even though the company is huge.

ConsCan't think of any

Great place to work

Analyst (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at CEB full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat culture, great people, and best of all, a great view from the cubicles!

ConsCould pay a little better, but still competitive.

CEB is a great first job out of college

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than a year

ProsCEB provides great learning and training opportunities for entry level sales and account management staff. If you take a proactive approach to their training program you can gain invaluable experience over 1-2 years. Because of the "Challenger Sale" work, the CEB name carries a lot of weight in the sales world, so if you want to stay in Sales it is a great place to launch a career.

- good work life balance
- good benefits package, 19 days PTO for entry level position
- good people

Consthe regional offices don't have many of the roles one usually would move into after being in an entry level position for 2-3 years, so one has to potentially move to D.C. to continue to climb the ranks. Many of the more tenured manager types work remotely, which creates a lack of energy and experience at the office and can make things stale.

- salary is low to comparable job in San Francisco market

Advice to Senior Managementoffer higher salaries for sales/account management staff to compete with regional markets

find a way to bring more energy to the office

Exposure to High Level Executives at the world's largest organizations

Account Management Representative (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAbility to help Executives at the best companies shape their functions and strategy
View into many industries, companies & how they operate
CEB colleagues are very smart

ConsCompany expects alot from you regarding size of territory, metrics.
Complex product - alot of research to know.
Internal Mobility difficult, especially for lower levels

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within in an easier way at lower levels. Don't punish employees who start their careers with CEB and reward outside hires with same experience.

Horrible management, culture, career opportunities, and compensation

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAccess to a network of c-level executives, learning about corporate strategy and research that helps the clients

ConsMiddle managers are a complete joke. The typical day consists of getting 10+ passive aggressive emails from managers who sit 3 feet away from you about things you need to do but with ZERO guidance. I can not even begin to describe how political and backwards this place is. Managers only care about metrics and will change data just to get their own personal numbers to look good. They do not care at all about developing employees and helping them in their careers. The "Sales and Service" training at CEB is pathetic to say the least. The mandatory assignments and classes feel like high school. Aside from the horrible managers, training, and development opportunities, the senior level managers have been at the company so long that they do not even realize there is a world outside of CEB.

Advice to Senior ManagementMiddle managers: leave the company, upper management: think about all of the educated and skilled entry-level employees that have left the company because of your inability to create a good work environment. Try to take some of CEB's advise and integrate it in to the strategy. Stop hiring jokes to manage 20+ people in revenue support positions. IF this is really what you want the work to be like, then hire dumber people so that you can ensure they are bought in to this sad work situation.

Worked for CEB? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CEB reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CEB CEO Thomas L. Monahan III. All 432 reviews posted anonymously by CEB employees.