CEB

Updated January 20, 2015
3.2

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A collection of the smartest, most driven people I've ever worked with.

Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I am continually amazed by the intellectual caliber of the colleagues I work with every day. Being surrounded by smart, driven, passionate people makes you feel capable of great things - in your current role or in any other role you wish to pursue at CEB (internal moves are encouraged and supported). I have had so many wonderful mentors - formal and informal - who have contributed to my career success, and I plan to keep on collecting them. CEB is a relatively young company (30 years old), whose culture is still being defined. It is aware of it's history and foundations, but far from being set in stone. Reacting and adapting to change is necessary - and exciting! It's truly a growing company in every sense of the word.

Cons

If you can't handle change, this isn't the place for you. As a company that studies the realities of the new work environment, we are also prime examples of it. Growing global presence, acquisitions and integration, finding new gears of productivity, collaboration that is key to survival - it's all part of everyday life at CEB. It means you can't get comfortable or take anything for granted, but it also means that new opportunities are opening up all the time and that you can control your own destiny to a large degree.

We should continue to push ourselves to be leading edge when it comes to developing, motivating, and retaining talent. Just because we write about how the best do it, doesn't mean we're doing the best job of it that we can. We should strive not to just meet the bar set by the best, but to exceed it.

OK short term graduate opportunity but don't be fooled,

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Central office location
    - Decent access to stationary

Cons

- Success will largely depend on your manager and the resources available to you. Established and favoured individuals will receive priority when it comes to the distribution of these resources, exacerbating the gap between top and middle performers and callously eliminating the lower % of the labour force.

- Middle Management are an glaring example of the Peter Principle. Fully capable of performing within a revenue generating role but most are inept at managing and motivating those who work under them. This creates a poor and ineffective middle management layer.

- Their business development model appears to be based on a production line model leading to BD roles being extremely one-dimensional. Lower level business development consist of regurgitating short pitches all day long with higher level BD roles simply being an extended versions of it. This is all fuelled by a lack of bespoke solutions that comes with packaged consultancy services. You will effectively be working in a call center.

- Wages at CEB experience logarithmic growth. Quick to rise at the start but slow down quickly after the first couple of promotions. Further to this, following on from the first comment, wages are largely determined by your manager as well as the amount of resources you are fed.

- Some of the titles they dish out are embarrassing. There are 'Associate Directors' with nappies on. I understand that they want to give employees credibility but they take it too far.

- CEB suffers from company-wide groupthink. Employees who do not adhere to CEB's suffocating culture will be identified, isolated and flushed out like as if they were an enemy of Big Brother. Questioning CEB's research or culture is arguably the most dangerous move you can make and do not think to confide in other comrades.

- I am shocked that as a research based firm (that advices HR leaders) they ignore all of their own HR research. They rear candidates in like cattle and fire them after 3-4 months if there isn't instant success.Rather than being a coincidence, it is a purposeful strategy that I can only imagine they have worked out is the most cost-effective method of obtaining high performers.

Any advice to management would assume I believe their structure and procedures were down to chance rather than being a calculated strategy.

No Work life balance.

Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The department I work in allows you to work from home occasionally.

Cons

Very poor management, employees are overstretched, and the work life balance is abysmal. Expect to be working 12 hour days.
    Very American based company too, so this clashes with the UK work ethic at times.

Young, Multicultural, Dynamic Environment

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great team. You have the advantage of working with some of the smartest people out in the market place right now.
    Good social scene.
    Salary is ok based on current market trends.
    Opportunity to work with C-suite execs from some of the largest global companies.

Cons

Do not expect work-life balance, this is an all absorbing place of work. The company operates a very lean approach so be prepared for a heavy work load.
    Very American company: the performance reviews can be violent if there is so much as a hint in under performance.

The approach is very rigid, siloed and "one size fits all". Understand that european markets are different from the US and therefore the go to market approach needs to be differentiated due to more limited scaleability.

You will essentially be working at a call centre as a BDX

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The office is in a great location. Very little overtime expected.

Cons

The London office is basically just one big sales floor, except you don't have very much idea about what you're selling at all. Apparently things are very different in overseas offices. Pay is terrible and rises slowly. Almost all of the sales staff you meet are vastly overqualified for their roles. Some regional teams are cleeky and HR aren't particularly nice people to deal with either

Great training and stimulating environment.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment lots of knowledge transferring and professional development opportunities.

Cons

Salaries could be better than they currently are.

Ok place to start after university to gain commercial experience

Current Employee - Associate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Location, Excellent work benefits - healthcare, company gives a good package

Cons

Awful management, poor training for new hires, poor starting salary, work environment is ruthless and not enjoyable at all.

management need to be more respectful and take on board how their staff feeling, micro management is big at CEB and they're very quick to pick on weaknesses and review performances brutally and never praise staff for strengths.

Great chance to learn the research, but little to no pride in implementation. A very strange focus on short term sales

Former Employee - Senior Engagement Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Engagement Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- research
    - some good people
    - competitive pay

Cons

- sexist, macho culture
    - no openness to research outside of CEB
    - very political
    - no real development of staff - huge sales focus, with very little substance

long term metrics for business and people, and some kind of broader developmental opportunities. Revisit the sales staff culture; a group of young people with no incentive to really understand or serve the companies in the membership.

Great company, great people but ruined by the middle managers!

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

nice colleagues, company drinks, incentive trips, pay is fair, motivational MDs, exposure to C-level, decent time off policy, work life balance

Cons

Incompetent middle managers who knit pick and demotivate staff by acting like school teachers, very American, meaning having time off at Christmas becomes tricky.

The middle manager problem: Most of us are too talented to be managed by them!

‘Ok’ for graduates wanting brief (1 Year) business experience

Current Employee - Account Management Representative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Management Representative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Competitive Comp Package (only once you’re at level 3: Account Management Representative)
    -Gain good Business Acumen knowledge/ training on your way up to Level 3
    - Good commercial / account management experience for those just out of university
    -Central Location in London
    -Good/Work life balance. Sociable company after working hours.
    -able to network with many heads of function which is a big positive
    - Incentive trips are very good IF you’re a high performer
    - Good bridging job for the career you want to do next- you can develop some good skills IF you’re proactive

Cons

- Micro-management & performance management culture: Does not allow for individuality & creativeness. As an SSPD employee, you are treated very much like a school child
    -Very much a culture of ‘do what I say, not what I do’
    -RSM’s/ Junior Managers ARENT skilled/ experienced managers- they’re generally unsuccessful SSPD candidates. They work to the number & aren’t generally good at motivation nor individual development (they lack cross-industry/ company experience)
    -Cold Calling: they do (at times) track the number of calls you make
    - Intellectually curiosity isn’t valued nowhere near as such as it should- this is one of the main reasons for my departure
    - Slow/ Stagnant progression: the expected route of progression to SE or AM is through the middle market function which is limiting (and incentives are capped to below market value)
    -Effectively you’re a glorified PA to an AM/SE, you’re seen as a bit of a 2nd class citizen
    -Your incentives are generally dependent on your AM/SE is doing well- if you’re partnered with an underperforming AM/SE, you won’t get paid much. Luck of the draw.

Follow what CEB’s research preaches, allow more autonomy and power to your staff and the rest will follow.