CEB Reviews

Updated April 25, 2015
608 reviews filtered by

Senior Director

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule (WFH), the people, volunteer day

Cons

Lack of career mobility, extremely political organization, salary, benefits, constant turnover, working people until they are burnt out

Advice to Management

Try to listen to individuals at the bottom to solve your problems; Live by the tag line - what the best companies do because it is currently the running joke amongst staff

Great company, bad sales environment

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture, a great way to make friends if you are new grad. Opportunities to move laterally if you do not enjoy your current role, as you get to apply internally before jobs are posted to the public. Very clear goals and advancement structure, generally a very organized company. Overall very transparent.

Cons

The cons mostly start with the recruitment process. I applied for the Business Development Associate position, and was told it was a sales job, but that I would have a real opportunity to get to know the business and develop my analytic skills. In reality, I had to memorize a bunch of information I didn't understand and regurgitate that to potential clients while cold calling, which gave me very little confidence on the phone. Additionally, your performance in the beginning is very heavily dictated by whom your sales representative is. My sales rep stole opportunities from me and it made it very difficult for me to do well. It was my first job out of college so it wasn't easy for me to stand up to her and I was miserable for the first few months, believing I was a failure, when in reality it was a failure of their sales system. Sales reps should not have so much control over the success of their Associates. Additionally, the Revenue Managers were the worst micromanagers, making me feel more like a pre-schooler than a college educated, responsible adult.

Advice to Management

Treat your Business Development Associates like adults, and give them more responsibility. If they flounder, than you can fire them. However, they will continue leaving en masse (I know because my entire start class but one is gone) if you continue to micro manage the way you do.

Be more a cheerleader than an enforcer to your team. Follow through on special incentives and perks, and make sure that when your team does something well you recognize it. If you don't , it feels like management is never happy.

Be more mindful in those you hire, and be clear on what the expectations are. Its a waste of time for both CEB and the interviewee to accept a position that they are not comfortable doing, or are not right for.

Put floating holidays in place, and allow more days off in Quarter 4. People do not work well when they're overworked, stressed out, and deprived of time with their families.

3. So far so good

I have been working at CEB

Pros

Great company smart coworkers I plan on staying here a while

Cons

Disconnect between management and employees

Waste of a year

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I had no real experience right out of college so this was a good place to learn and get something to put on my resume. Most coworkers are right out of college which makes the atmosphere of the office casual.

Cons

The job itself is cold calling and setting up meetings for your partnered sales executive - basically you're a glorified assistant. For the most part, the execs you're calling have been called on year after year and don't want to hear it again. Of course, salespeople don't take no for an answer but the pressure put upon you by management to keep calling borders harassing these execs.

The training consists of 3+ hour long sessions that are repetitive and ineffective. After your initial onboarding it is just a lot of script regurgitation (they call it pitch practice).

Middle management really isn't qualified for their positions. These managers are recently promoted from the business development/account management associate roles - just because they were successful in the role does not mean that they can be a successful leader of others in that role. The job description of such a manager includes "Forecast attrition and take necessary steps to remain fully staffed" which essentially means that the company realizes the extremely high turnover rate of employees in this role but would rather hire someone new and burn them out too.

I forgot what it's like to not be stressed out all the time - leaving the company was the best decision I've made to date.

Advice to Management

Hire middle management from outside the company. Invest in your employees, the best practices you research and sell should be implemented within your own company.

Listen to employee feedback. It really says a lot about a company being stuck in their ways when the reviews on this site from 2009 are still relevant 6 years later.

6. I had a great time at this company for a year right out of college.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great managers
    -Great Benefits
    -Good work-life balance (out by 5:30pm/6pm every day)
    -Proximity to senior execs at companies

Cons

-Lower starting salary than other consulting firms
    -Many analysts leave the firm after a year or two

7. CEB is a research-based membership advisory firm, built upon very unique business model.

Current Employee - Finance Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Finance Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture is very young and professional. The leadership team is very approachable and open. The firm invests a lot in employee professional development. Work-life balance is great. Company is set to grow exponentially through 2020.

Cons

Compensation is lower than average, especially in the DC metro area, which leads to high turnover. Unless you're on the sales team, there is little opportunity for bonuses.

8. Good company to start with and build skills for your career.

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at CEB

Pros

Great training
    Young, intellectual team
    Opportunities for advancement

Cons

There is a limit to growth

Advice to Management

less micromanagement

9. You will feel miserable the entire time.

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Coworkers
    They try to make the environment fun by bringing in food and having happy hours

Cons

All you do make 100+ dials a day, hopefully get an appointment, and then send a report of the prospects information to your Sales Executive. That the entire job in a nut shell.

The opportunity to actually get an appointment with someone is incredibly rare it seems, I would compare it to fishing at night with a spear and no flashlight. The girl I sat next for 4 days, making over 120 dials, didn't speak to a single person. That is the most draining and wasteful use of your time.

Clients are not interested in hearing about CEB since they have been called over and over and over again. You will here clients tell you "No" so many times that it will wear you down, probably explains CEB's high turnover of BDX's.

I had two managers at CEB. One was my Sales Executive who would make me feel that I was wasting her business leads and that something was wrong with me. The other was my team manager who everyday would tell me I am doing something wrong with out providing one on one support on how to strengthen my language when speaking with clients.

I know there are great managers that will work with you and help develop you as an employee, but the others will micromanage you and unhelpful.

Advice to Management

Managers need a stronger training program improve their skills in running a team and helping individuals.

10. Associate Director

Current Employee - Associate Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good work-life balance, flexible hours, great colleagues. It is a good company to start your career with.

Cons

Slow career progress, less salaries, changing management on the worse side

Advice to Management

Listen to employees suggestion. Do not lose your culture which you are in the last 2-3 years.

Great Job security, very poor management

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you what to stay in a secure job so you have

Cons

Management in this company is very poor, compensation is also poor, little growth is possible. Raises are small. I feel I work in sweat shop. Very disorganized, don't follow their own "best practice, lots of lip service, poor training, poor new hire process (or lack of ) , no work life balance, information doesn't flow very well.

Advice to Management

Management training we be first, no micromanagement, compensation according to productivity.