CEB Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.2

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 37 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good company, takes care of employees

Current Employee - Director  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- professional company
    - very bright and energetic colleagues
    - there are a lot of programs to help with career development
    - excellent benefits
    - good work / life balance
    - the focus is on results, not time spent in the office

Cons

Sometimes promotions and raises are not well differentiated based on performance

Improve focus on rewarding performance.

CEB: A Real-Life Initech

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Your peers are good hearted people.
    Young environment, frequent happy hours after work (you'll need them).
    Located near metro and food trucks.
    No asbestos in the building.

Cons

Watch the movie "Office Space." If you think Initech is a great place to work, then CEB will be the perfect fit for you. Don't dare leave the office before 5:30pm. It'll be noted by everyone and in your performance review.

Speaking of, CEB uses a GPA-style grading system for how they rate your performance. Don't expect to come anywhere near a 4.0 though. Most people get a between 2.0 - 2.5 (a "high meets/low exceeds" rating...whatever that means). And yes, there's a "Firm Citizenship" competency that you'll be rated on. If you don't drink the kool-aid, watch that score go way down. Your bonus is then "objectively" computed by a secret "calibration committee." Basically, if you kissed up to the right people, you may be able to use that heavily-taxed bonus money to take a vacation.

Be advised that CEB's benefits aren't that great at all. See for yourself - look up the CEB web site and find their benefits page. CEB won't list them to the public (RED FLAG). Don't let them tout their benefits package as leverage when you negotiate salary. You get 19 days of leave each yeah. That includes vacation, sick, personal, and whatever else. 19 days. Oh and if you don't use them all, they WILL NOT ROLLOVER into the next year. You don't get the 19 days of leave up front either. You accrue a few hours every pay period. Don't expect to be able to take time off at the end of the year (it's end-of-quarter craziness). And if you leave CEB with a negative leave balance, they will take it out of your final paycheck. That's assuming you'll get your final paycheck. CEB has an unfortunate history of employees' final check being "lost" or otherwise not deposited into their account because of some mystical error.

You will not have to look hard to find the Bill Lumberghs of this company. "The CEB way" is to be happy with long hours and poor compensation. If it's your first job out of college, don't stay too long or else you'll be stuck in the blackhole of suckitude that is CEB. Their motto has always been, "just be happy that you have a job!" I shed a tear every time I see on LinkedIn, "Congratulate so-and-so on their Nth anniversary at CEB!"

And if you are fortunate to move on from CEB, don't expect any celebrations on your way out. When I left after putting in over two years of service, I brought in a few six-packs of beer at the end of my last day and the ENTIRE management team was like, "What's the occasion?" Even though I submitted my resignation weeks before, stated my last day of employment, and worked with them to finalize the transition, the management team did nothing to acknowledge the work I had done.

How are you a credible leader in "best practice research" when you don't even practice what you preach?

Great experience and exposure, but sometimes thankless

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-The people at CEB are some of the best and brightest. There's respect across functions (research and revenue, etc.) and
    -There is tremendous exposure to some top-notch companies and you are a trusted adviser to C-level executives. The experience is incredible.
    -Over performers are recognized both at the team level and across the regional offices. They definitely reward the over performers with praise and recognition.
    -The content that is created by the research team is incredible. Granted, it is from the members directly but the research team has the ability to unearth the issues and tell a story with the member voice. Some great work has been produced over my years at CEB and I truly respect the research teams. There is no question I wouldn't have been as successful as I have been at this job without those partnerships.

Cons

-Career development is really lacking, especially if you are remote. Once you are at the Senior Director level, it is really difficult to advance. You have to over perform at an extreme amount over 2 years to be considered for the MD title.
    -There seems to be disconnect on who upper management think should be leading regional teams and what the teams actually need.
    -Sales is meant to be competitive, but there's almost so much competition within each practice, people aren't ever supportive or truly happy for those that succeed. Trips and rewards are based off of practices competing against each other and a select few people qualifying, meaning you could overperform in your practice but if 3 other people in your group did even better, you lose.
    -The amount of institutions the AM role supports is unrealistic and we are not able to sell and serve at the capacity that would actually foster higher renewal rates and higher conversion rates for new business.
    -Similar to what another person said, there's always a fire to be put out and always a metric you could be failing (basic metrics are expected but most often there are weekly updates with more metrics than one person could ever hit).

Reconnect with the people that are DOING the jobs. Give compliments once in a while. Pull back on the extensive metrics. There are incredible people in the revenue roles and a lot of good people are lost to poor management.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Great Place To Learn

Current Employee - Business Development Associate  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CEB full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent Training
    Good location for the office
    They will give you many chances to succeed if they believe in you
    Competitive Compensation Package

Cons

This is a cold call sales job, that is not always clear in the interview process
    The job can be very challenging especially when working with Sales Executives
    In Days around Christmas (last year had to work on Christmas eve and the day after Christmas)
    If you are not at your numbers you are made to feel very replaceable

Fear of losing your position is not a sufficient motivator for many people.

Good place to start

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at CEB full-time

Pros

Great place for a young professional or recent graduate to learn and grow. Supervisors and management are approachable and interested in your development. Great team environment

Cons

Growth for CEB is limited due to current economy. There is a considerable amount of change-over, but work life balance is good.

Great place to work - intellectually stimulating and energetic culture

Current Employee - Director  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at CEB full-time

Pros

A great sense of pride working for an industry-leader, customers value products and services, growth opportunities, unmatched reputation, access to some of the best thought-leaders in the industry, fun work environment and great people

Cons

It is a performance culture. If you have a high-achievement drive, and want to contribute, you'll do well here. If you have an aversion to pressure or if you're looking for an easy job, this isn't the place for you.

Could not love my job more!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Colleagues you work with - smart, type A, motivated but wired to help others and have a passion for the business

Business model - none like it out there. Intellectually stimulating & fits in a key nitch

SF Office - small, collaborative, high performing, strong management team

Cons

VOLUME - I thrive in volume, but if you don't, it may not be the place for you. We work with a lot of clients and field a lot of requests internally and externally each day. Be sure you are willing and motivated to work at that pace!

Enterprise Sales Heaven!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at CEB full-time

Pros

If you are an experienced and talented sales professional who can handle a fast pace and a somewhat nerdy product - this is an awesome place to work. They have access to senior executives at over 90% of Fortune 500 companies. You can't help but become a better sales person working here. The training and support better than any other organization I have worked for. The people that work here are all smart and nice.

Cons

The pace is unlike anything I've experienced before but not a total negative as this makes for great comraderie amongst workers. You'll also accomplish more than you can imagine.
    Because the product is nerdy, not everyone "gets it" - including customers. This product does not generally sell itself so having the ability to communicate value as oppossed to price and feature is an absolute necessity.

Great starting point

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Young atmosphere. The hours are reasonable and you are able to earn more with overtime.

Cons

Chicago office is limited with opportunities outside of the revenue dept.

good personal growth opportunities

I have been working at CEB

Pros

The company provides a lot of personal growth opportunties, with new experiences and challenges. I've also really apprecaited the people that I work with- the company attracts a good calibur of talent.

Cons

It is easy to burn out if you're not careful, the company pushes hard and is often underresourced.

Worked for CEB? Contribute to the Community!