CEB Reviews

1. Decent

Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At CEB there are great people and supportive leadership; everyone is willing to help and the environment is very collaborative.

Cons

Job is simply scheduling-you dont really use your brain as much as you would like..I find that I had a lot of downtime as well.

Advice to Management

Use more incentives with staff. Additionally, add some complexity to the job to retain employees.

2. Great first job

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Career development opportunities, intellectual culture, challenging work, work-life balance. The actual work is great, and you learn a lot of valuable skills. People are often described as "very smart and very nice".

Cons

Compensation, compensation, compensation. They don't pay nearly enough at the entry-level considering what schools they are recruiting from.

Advice to Management

Pay analysts more, especially if you're recruiting from the top schools.

A "Burn and Churn" Company

Former Employee - Account Management Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Account Management Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong team environment among the AMx/BDx community, access to great research and decent sales training program (SSPD). Beer at the office on Fridays and free food at the end of Quarters. Everyone I worked with was the same age (recent college grad)

Cons

After a year of being part of the AMx/BDx team, I was the most tenure person there, since everyone leaves a soon as they get hired. Compensation is low for the schools they recruit from and they area that the company is HQ. Year over year expectations of sales do not align with the resources available to meet expectations (eg. An increase of 30% in new business when there is not an increase of 30% in the research side. Very hard to do when Analysts are always busy and cannot deliver new research as often). The job itself gets really repetitive fast, you are consider to be more of an administrative assistant than a strategic partner with the account manager, but this depends on who your account manager is. The SSPD program is consider to be a tool for growth in the Sales department, but many people consider it to be a waste of time and it stops very qualified employees from getting promotions when they deserve them. Upper management plays favorites and it is obvious who they are, when you bring constructive criticism to your manager you might as well start looking for a new job since you will be considered to be "getting in the way" of things. For a best practice company, they are very stubborn and stock in their ways. One thing that I always noticed is that everyone always looked stressed and tired.

Advice to Management

CEB is a fast growing company, but you got to take better care of employees and invest more money in ways to improve internal processes. CEB lets great talent leave the company all the time and does nothing to retain it. Work life balance does not exist. I took a 2 week vacation and my expectation was that I could be reached over email and that I would be able to work a certain amount of hours a week.

5. Great starter, but get good or get out

Former Employee - Account Management Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Account Management Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at CEB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Experience, training and business issue exposure is unparalleled for junior sales team positions. CEB has an excellent product whose transnational sales model works well for domestic organizations; you get smart on leading business issues and have access/opportunity to have significant conversations and make an impact at member organizations. If you find your groove, success in junior role can lead to [relatively] rapid advancement in the sales team... buckle up, it is an unyielding, fast pace environment and if you can help to increase the speed, you will win.

Cons

As Acct Mgmt Rep, you are a work horse, with micro managed metrics and the compensation is uninspiring. Business culture is sink or swim... social culture is sophomoric, paralleling cliquishness. As with sales organizations, your standing is based on 'what have you done for me lately' and be prepared to carry goals that increase at an average growth rate of 15-20% year over year. Promotion track in sales team is rigid and, often not representative of individual's potential.

Advice to Management

Step in to promote better career management. The young professionals at the org will appreciate guidance from you for those who need help finding their way out of a track that might not be the best fit. Disintermediating yourselves from this and other development conversations reduces confidence and trust in direct managers and team leadership.

6. Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are very smart and genuinely extremely nice people. The people here are by far the best part of this job. If you ever need help or mentoring anyone is willing to lean in and provide support. Work environment is laid back for the most part and management is very fair and approachable. They take great care of their people with 19 PTO days your first year, 401K benefits and health care. They also encourage career development even if that includes leaving your current role and moving to a completely different function.

Cons

If you already have sales experience coming into this position they will try to start you at the first level of the development program. Push for the 2nd level, I've seen several people come in with sales experience and start at the 2nd or 3rd level of the development program. There is no process or standard. I feel underpaid for my experience and value. Promotions are based on difficult metrics and goals, it is not as easy as they made it sound in the interview process. The job is much more cold calling than I expected or was told about. Salary is a little lower than the area standard.

Advice to Management

Make job responsibilities much more transparent during the interview process and value the people who come in with work experience!

7. great company to work for

Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

awesome job right out of college - you get the chance to work with C-level executives and meet great people. also, opportunity to move internally.

Cons

salary isn't great, but if you stick around it gets better.

Do NOT work here.

Former Employee - Associate Director in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at CEB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You MIGHT get to work with talented people.
    You MIGHT get to work with top tier clients (Fortune 500).

Cons

This company:

Since my former company was acquired by CEB, they destroyed it. They ruined the culture by turning a once independent, motivated, successful workforce into mindless drones who work for a bottom line and cannot think creatively. We no longer served the customers, we were slaves to the almighty dollar. The mother-ship CEB didn't know what we did when they bought us and it showed. They're in a fantastic spree of Layoffs! They let go about 20% of the workforce day 1 after acquisition. Then, when we didn't meet their completely unrealistic goals, they laid off another 15% saying "That's the end of it, we cut deep to make sure no one else needs to go". LIE! What happened LESS THAN 6 months later? ANOTHER ROUND OF LAYOFFS! Awesome! There goes another 15% of the remaining workforce. They decapitate acquired companies because they have the capital to buy, without any of the knowledge of how to handle that acquisition.

I quit after ranking up 3 times in 3 years. Sounds good right? No. The pay is horrific, so even after those promotions, I still didn't make market value. Consultants, Analysts, work somewhere else, your skills are not valued here, and you can live a very happy, well balanced life working elsewhere. Oh, but if you do quit they MIGHT threaten a lawsuit if you don't tell them where you're going! That brings up the awesome (sarcasm) talent they have as managers.

The Managers:

...Have no management experience. They're people who dedicated years and years of their lives, drowning in the garbage that you're doing (if you work there). So, because of that "We all went through it" attitude, they have no sympathy for the 60+ hour work weeks (no exaggeration, my record work week was 103 hrs. I'm not joking) that you'll consistently put in for months on end. Since we're talking about hours - I made less than minimum wage if you consider hours worked vs salary - again - no exaggeration.

Good luck, I wish I knew this when we were acquired by CEB!

Advice to Management

You need to value your employees as more than just a means to an end.

Take a pay cut instead of laying off your workforce, when the CEO banks 6 figures in his bonuses alone, I'm pretty sure that could trickle down and help the struggling businesses instead. It should be teamwork, don't let your position give you a false sense of entitlement.

9. Business Development Specialist

Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, a lot of support from the organization. Great Benefits, PTO etc... and training is excellent with great retention.

Cons

There is a large luck factor in the role and if you like to have control over tasks and outcomes, this is not for you.

Advice to Management

Be clearer about what the role entails and refrain from using jargony terms during the hiring process.

Demoralizing and Tone Deaf

Former Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I worked at CEB full-time

Pros

Generally, employees adhere to the company's value of "spirit of generosity" and are more than willing to offer help.

Cons

CEB is still trying to get its act together; the company has gone through multiple branding schemes and approaches to selling its services and can't seem to settle on one that works. At the same time, certain areas of the company have some "old timers" who remain relatively inflexible when it comes to the CEB research process.

Opportunities to develop and advance are heavily dependent on which manager you get.

11. It was a great place to work.......

I have been working at CEB

Pros

CEB's SHL's Talent Measurement Solutions are the best in the assessment industry. We have more content than any other provider and have many client success stories to tell.

Cons

The company changed for the worst when we were acquired by CEB. Their business model is transaction based which contradicts the consultative environment that is SHL. As a result, they are more concerned with the quantity of sales vs. quality of long-term relationships. This shift in business philosophy has been the root cause for many talented people to leave the organization.

Advice to Management

Please don't try to transform the SHL business into the CEB machine. This is not a good fit and our customers are beginning to question if we have moved away from our core selection business.