CEB Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

IT Operations Management

I have been working at CEB full-time

Pros

Teamwork is central to business success at CEB; as such we achieve advancement by collaborating with, rather than competing against, one another. A shared set of core values guides how we act with our members and each other, aiming to achieve a culture of service and a spirit of generosity. The IT teams get to work with cutting edge technologies and

Cons

Like other growing companies sometimes there isn't enough time to plan resources well in advance, with accurate projections but the organization is working on improving this area

Sr. Analyst

I worked at CEB

Pros

Good place if you are part of the in group.

Cons

Colleagues and manager(s) not hesitant to throw you under the bus.

Poor Management and No Technical Skill Development

Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Strategic Research in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst, Strategic Research in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees at lower levels are smart and pleasant to work with. Interesting research model for solving corporate management issues - helps to develop problem solving and communication skills. Wide exposure to different functions during work - Sales, Marketing, Graphic Design Lots of exposure to senior executives at Fortune 1000 companies. Helps to polish communication skills and learn about business processes and strategies and the world's most innovative companies.

Cons

Management - This varies by group to group, but the mid and senior level managers in my group micromanaged, did not care about helping you develop skills, and were focused solely on why you aren't helping the company sell more (even though that is not my job at all). At times you feel like you are reporting to 5+ managers (direct manager, project manager, program manager, practice manager, plus the account managers have the power to dictate what work you should be doing because the only thing senior management cares about is profit margins and revenue). The highly matrixed structure makes it difficult to spend time on creative problem solving and doing the core part of your job. Skill Development - From an IT and tools perspective, CEB is where most companies where in 2004. Analysts are mainly powerpoint jockeys and get limited exposure to Excel. Any requests to use new software for data analysis (e.g., SPSS, SAS, etc.) are turned down because the company doesn't want to pay for it. The company doesn't understand that most analysts don't intend to build long-term careers at CEB, and people want to develop transferable skills that can be applied to other consulting, analytics, or research companies. In today's work environment, it's not enough to teach people how to learn powerpoint and be able to speak with executives for 30 mins. Managers put together a development plan with you because it is part of their MBOs, but once it is entered into the performance management system they act like it doesn't exist. Talent Management/Attrition - The company loses 15% of its workforce every year, but management acts like that is not a problem. Almost 50% of the analysts in my group have left so far this year because there is no formal talent management and development process in place.

Advice to Management

Use your data better - CEB has one of the best data sets on corporate management processes in the world, but it is incredibly disorganized. Analysts are more interested in doing quantitative work and developing data-driven insights than fluffy powerpoint presentations. This will help solve two issues, creating new products and engaging your product talent better. Hold management accountable - Understand that manager quality is a huge issue and a large reason for attrition. Hold managers accountable when staff leave or provide negative feedback instead of continually putting new analysts under the same poor managers.

5. Sales Associate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

High quality product and people Great place to start a professional career

Cons

No major cons to working at CEB

Advice to Management

Overinvest in entry-level talent

6. Account Management Representative

Former Employee - Account Management Representative in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Account Management Representative in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work environment- everyone is young, smart and driven. Most are right out of college or its their second job out of college and subscribe to the work hard, play hard ideology. - Get great opportunities to interact and sell to C level executives as an entry level type employee - Great training along the way as you progress along a career track towards account management, sales or consulting - Fun work events

Cons

- Office politics can get very annoying- managers are definitely not always qualified and tend to favor friends - The promotion schedule is very rigid and you have to serve predetermined times in roles before advancing to the next role through a practical exam in front of higher ups

Advice to Management

Encourage more individualism. At times I felt as though I had to fit in with the team more than I should work to excel and drive a better performance. Keep the promotion structure but be less rigid in the guidelines and allow other factors to weigh into promotion decisions such as day to day performance.

7. Great experience with great coworkers

I have been working at CEB

Pros

CEB Print Design has a very healthy work environment with tons of hard working people who are willing to collaborate and help out others with their current projects.

Cons

Milage varies between project specialists and sometimes clients are less guided than others, making it harder for designers to fulfill their vision AND stick to CEB style guidelines.

Advice to Management

Maybe more resources and guidance for clients to inform them of the best way to communicate edits and changes and also up to date guides on changes in style so they know what we can and cannot do. This would save a lot of back and forth trying to talk them down from something that isn't possible or kosher with the brand.

Mediocre

I worked at CEB

Pros

Used to be great once

Cons

It is Slipping in recent years

Advice to Management

No advice at this time

9. A company that truly values its employees

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CEB

Pros

This company has values that can actually mean something and be tied back to tangible actions. They care about their employees' ability to have work/life balance by implementing a lot of ways to make it easier to have flexibility. We are an extremely mobile workforce. Force of Ideas – discovering and creating actionable ideas and insights, and delivering them in timely, targeted, and memorable ways Spirit of Generosity – forging genuine relationships with our members, our colleagues, and our communities centered on service and generous exchange Member Impact – effectively advancing member interest and contributing to member achievements through relentless innovation Stewardship of Exceptional Talent – investing extraordinary effort in recruiting, developing, and managing exceptional talent and fostering an entrepreneurial and aspirational culture that enables outsized individual and team impact

Cons

Having the ability to be connected anytime, anywhere, also means that ultimately it can be hard to disconnect. Then again, I'm in sales and I much prefer the ability to connect wherever I am than having to be stuck in the office.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a true sales enablement function in place to connect product, sales, account management, and marketing in a meaningful way. Right now there's a huge disconnect in decisions being pushed down from the top that have no real impact on day to day interactions with prospects/members.

10. Collegiate, intelligent employees

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

In my experience so far, people at CEB are generally cut from the same cloth within different business units. On the Leadership Councils side (research and advisory) there are a lot of different types of people from all walks of life, but everyone is across the board 1) intelligent, 2) collegiate and welcoming, and 3) prioritizes work-life balance. On the commercial teams, things are bit more fast-paced and rowdy -- a lot going on on those floors, especially during the end of quarter closes. Can't offer much on the newer parts of the business -- SHL and recent acquisitions, but it's my impression that CEB is putting a lot of resources into actually rolling the brands and businesses into one.

Cons

There's a fair amount of turnover here, and internal mobility at the company. So it can be hard to keep pace with what's going on, especially with the constant churn of the research and sales cycle -- on top of changing teams and team members. But the internal mobility piece is also a good one to note -- it's very easy to transfer internally here, if you begin and aren't liking the part of the company you're at.

Advice to Management

Although we've been pretty transparent about company direction and have communicated this well, be more transparent about the leadership plans and succession at the organization -- tell your employees what to expect.

11. Working for this company pays in big ways if you are able to cope with corporate culture

I have been working at CEB full-time

Pros

Internal mobility and employee retention is a priority Dynamic leadership teams Perks: PTO, Volunteer Time Off, Work Flexibility Managing layoffs: great severance packages (from what I've heard)

Cons

Corporate culture can make you feel like just a number and can be draining at times Difficulty keeping up with ever-changing internal organization structure (internal support resources)

RSS Feed </> Embed