CEB Reviews

Reset

1. The Colleagues/Coworkers Make The Experience - Work for the Chicago Team

Former Employee - Revenue Support Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Revenue Support Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at CEB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I conducted a lot of interviews during my tenure at CEB and a common question those being interviewed would ask me was, "What is your favorite part about CEB" or "Why do you enjoy working at CEB." The answer was almost *always* my colleagues/coworkers. I had the opportunity to work with extremely intelligent, self motivated, and intellectually curious people and that is something you cannot find everywhere. If you are looking to gain different perspective, better insight, motivation, or inspiration then you will get just that from the people you work with at CEB.

Another aspect of my tenure at CEB that I truly enjoyed (which is role specific) was the opportunity to coach & develop a team of motivated people. Each day I had the opportunity to help them solve challenges, overcome difficult obstacles, and earn promotions. That was, hands down, the most gratifying part of my job at CEB.

Finally, the morale in the Chicago office over those two years increased through volunteering, team building, and committee opportunities that were specific to this regional office. Those things gave us a chance to interact and grow with people from different parts of the company and strengthen our internal relationships while doing something meaningful and fun,

Cons

Red-tape. CEB Chicago is regional office to it's headquarters in D.C. Over the last few years, I often felt like the Chicago office had a bit more of an entrepreneurial vibe to it. As it continues to grow and more investments are made in Chicago, it is becoming much more difficult to make an impact/advocate for change quickly.

(Role specific con) It is difficult to manage large teams, especially when the onboarding/performance management is ongoing. There are a lot of stakeholders in the RSM position and answering all of those stakeholder's needs can seem impossible on a day-to-day basis. My suggestion is to try and *simplify* the role as much as possible. If the job we are managing to is "simple, not easy" then we shouldn't be making things so complicated

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the Chicago team while trying to maintain a culture of creativity & performance. The Chicago office is full of a bunch of great personalities and hard workers and I think maintaining that culture should be protected.

If you are willing to give up your soul, this is the place for you.

Former Employee - Practice Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Practice Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at CEB

Pros

if you are under 30, you will find a lot of folks your age and the company events become a party. The company is very solid revenue-wise, so you won't have to worry about losing your job because they fold.

Cons

This company is very mechanized. There is little room for creativity or individual initiative. The workforce is pretty young--probably to keep on the straight and narrow to automaton-like production. The salaries are ok if you live well outside their headquarters area or, if, again you are very young.

Advice to Management

stop embarrassing yourself with a too-young, too-inexperienced, zombie-like workforce that gets plastered at public events

3. good for

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think CEB is a really good stepping stone for someone just out of college or not sure exactly what they want to do.

Cons

goals could be set for each program instead of as a whole

Advice to Management

n/a

5. Good for starting a career

Former Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is sink or swim at CEB. When you start you will have to learn quickly and deal with lost of responsibility is no time. It is a great place to quickly advance and get exposure to senior executives. You really understand what other companies are doing and the challenges they are facing.

Cons

Growth opportunities at CEB slow down considerably at the mid-management level. People in mid management tend to be stuck with little chance to advance and senior management very reluctant to let anyone into the inner circle. The senior management team has been in place for so long there is no innovation or fresh ideas. There are several senior leaders who are narcissistic egotists and enjoy preying on the new hires. The employment experience varies considerably by department and work-life balance is impossible in some roles.

Advice to Management

Bring new blood into senior management team. Hire outside expertise. Invest in technology solutions. Get ahead of the next downtown so 2009 is not repeated.

Don't waste your time.

Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a young culture, and a very smart group of young professionals. The location is awesome.

Cons

Churn and burn culture. Managers cannot accurately develop talent. High turnover, highly stressful environment. The role does not develop you for a career in sales.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the BDX position.

Stability vs. Making an Impact.

Former Employee - Revenue Support Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Revenue Support Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're surrounded by very smart people, so your intellectually stimulated more than other companies I've worked at. You also have access a lot of really great information that can help you become a better manager. As a whole it's a good experience, if you're looking to manage entry level sales associates and teach them the basic, but you won't feel like you're really part of the "sales team". You're more handling their day to day output vs. feeling like you're making a real impact to the company.

Cons

Unless you started years ago, it's tough to hit goals, and I only see it getting even more difficult. Everyone you're calling knows who CEB is and it's only getting tougher to find those willing to speak. As a top performing associate, you're also at somewhat of a disadvantage to hitting your personal goals, as you'll likely be paired with a top performing sales executive to support, with tough accounts and high demands. Lots of career conversations for Associates, but very few for manager personally ( I don't think I ever was even asked what I wanted to do short and long term). Also extremely low compensation. I took a 50% pay cut for the role, which is what I wanted, but left for a 100% increase in earnings opportunities.

Advice to Management

Invest in making the product more interesting to prospects vs. just shoving it down their throats, rethink goals, invest more in making sales feel important (even if that means more compensation). Pay people more.

8. Great place to work! Love the people and job!

I have been working at CEB

Pros

Awesome coworkers, clear cut goals and objectives

Cons

Lack of clarity from management. Upper management slow to move to new market pressures

9. Good managers, lots of career development opportunities.

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEB takes a lot of its own advice, so management practices are overall pretty stellar. The number of bad managers is pretty low. I've put a lot of time into advancing my skills while at the company, so they've pretty well let me shape the kind of work I do. There's a lot of support for taking new responsibilities and growing if you're willing to be engaged and try for it. Work-life balance is very good.

Cons

Because work-life balance is very good, lower comp than some other companies that hire top-decile talent. They need to get better at encouraging flexibility for people who want to try a different team or part of the company - a rotation program, for instance.

Advice to Management

People get tired of doing the same thing over and over - that's the biggest complaint I've heard, but it really hasn't been an issue for me. Learn to circulate people in different teams, different roles.

Sad place

Current Employee - Project Analyst in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Current Employee - Project Analyst in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at CEB

Pros

People are very nice in this office. Work with big name clients. Pretty good pto and benefits

Cons

HQ doesn't seem to care about this office or division. Low morale, high turnover. No one is happy, and this division provides info about employee engagement to other companies!

Advice to Management

More perks, more excitement for this office. Acknowledge us in company town halls, include us! Don't only have parties in Arlington offices!

11. Great place to start a career

I have been working at CEB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The exposure to C level executives so early in your career is unprecedented

Cons

Very young company and you can get a feeling of 'growing out of it'

Advice to Management

Great business

RSS Feed </> Embed