CEB

CEB Reviews in Rosslyn, VA

Updated Jun 12, 2014

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III

Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 37 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights
22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee) Rosslyn, VA

ProsSmart people, opportunities to contribute, insights valued by others

Consrevenue focus sometimes takes precedence over "doing the right thing"

If you have another offer, think twice...

Account Manager (Current Employee) Rosslyn, VA

ProsLocation in Rosslyn might be a plus for some
    Offices are cubicle farms, but they are pretty modern
    Free food (for those who care about that...I personally don't)

ConsMicro-management (at least on Sales side) and feels like being treated like a child
    Feels like there are more millennials here than any other company in the US, and while some are great, it feels like an unprofessional environment at times. Most people in sales are divas...rude, short, impatient....
    Turnover is very high
    Difficult to find work-life balance - you have decent PTO but they don't want you to use it all and it doesn't roll over
    Mandatory 10-hour days during certain times of the quarter/year, can't really enjoy Thanksgiving and Xmas

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide your sales staff with more flexibility since so much is demanded if us. This is an extremely high pressure environment. The firm values look great on paper, but it feels like management has created an environment where people do not truly adhere to them. Too many layers of complexity and inconsistency across he company, though I hear this is improving.

Excellent organization with extremely intelligent people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rosslyn, VA

ProsHaving access to some of the most well-respected global market research out there is a definite plus.

Also, the reputation of CEB is relatively good in the market and has served as an aspect of my own credibility when speaking with clients and potential employers.

The culture of the organization is very modern and caters to a younger crowd - its great place for recent grads.

The dress code was typically business casual, aside from when clients were in the building, which was wonderful.

ConsThere aren't many that I can think of that would be deal breakers for others contemplating joining the organization.

I was a recent grad when I joined, and after approx. 2 years I grew tired of the constant happy hours, sales cut-throat culture, and somewhat "young" vibe - I wanted to be in an org where I could be more professional and serious about my career & future.

Contrary to what many believe, it is very difficult to move around internally unless you want to be in sales. The career paths for some of the Administrative/BD/Sales roles were virtually nonexistent. That may be different today, but that was the reason for a lot of turnover in the lower levels - including the reason why I left the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to develop your high potential employees more. There is outstanding talent in your organization today that you will lose tomorrow because they are not getting the career development, coaching, or learning opportunities that they need.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good career stepping stone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rosslyn, VA

ProsVery dynamic environment. Great exposure. Global footprint. Ability to attract top-tier talent. Strong financials. Great location.

ConsWho you know will get you farther than what you know. Promotions are not 100% merit based. Work life balance leaves alot to be desired. 1 year turnover rate > 50% and a 2 year turnover rate > 75%.

Advice to Senior ManagementInability to retain top level talent comes with a price that CEB keeps paying, and paying, and paying.

CEB Internship Program

Intern (Former Employee) Rosslyn, VA

ProsAs the company prides itself on, CEB really does have the perfect mix of people who are both smart, and nice, which is a combination you don't normally find everywhere. The managers are genuinely interested in the intern's experience over the summer and are looking to help develop their professional careers. The internship program is extremely structured with providing a mentor as well as a peer-coach to every intern to help shape their career development. The senior management also took the time to get to know the interns, which is extremely rare for a company of this size.

ConsThe one downside is that the company structure is extremely difficult to understand, but after working at the company for some time it is easier to grasp and explain.

Research role: Some issues & a bit of a churn factory, but all and all a good place for the early stages of your career.

Strategic Research Consultant (Former Employee) Rosslyn, VA

ProsNote: This review is for a research role. These comments do not reflect the realities of sales, creative, etc.

- Intelligent people

- If you work in research, you will get very smart quickly about the strategic nuances of a functional discipline (HR, Finance, Marketing).

- A lot of exposure to very senior C-level executives, even early in your career. Remember to send a LinkedIn invite when you do a good job with a senior client/member! That will pay off later.

-Less travel than in standard consulting firms. You won't have to live out of a suitcase.

Cons- Very top-heavy staffing in research, once people stick around long enough they become promoted to more senior positions, where they become somewhat unnecessary and just kick work downstairs, but meanwhile suck up most of the budget dollars for those departments with their higher salaries. CEB is a perfect example of the Peter Principle, i.e. - that the members of an organization will eventually be promoted beyond their level of ability. Or "In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence,"

- It's frustrating because in theory senior researchers are providing a strategic & editorial role, but really there are too many chefs in the kitchen and not enough cooks - so they are just *creating* rounds of edits and redrafts to justify their own existence. There is way too much day-to-day work (to keep and delight members) that senior staff have decided is below their level of seniority ...but that's the work that needs to get done! CEB needs to restructure to have fewer editors and more smart entry level 'doers' (i.e. - 2-5 years out of school). Won't do it though because the senior people control the narrative that goes upstairs.

- Many senior people lack training around providing useful feedback. As a result, much management at CEB can be best characterized as "The swoop & poop" - i.e. the manager is totally disengaged from what you're working on, then swoops in, poops all over whatever you're working on - and flies away ...believing that they have added value. They have not actually added value. They have just fooled themselves into thinking they contributed something. This happens a lot.

- Late hours (in research). During AER season you are living at the office. It's the same thing every year, so it could be avoided if there was even the most basic proj management rigor provided by senior people from research, but there's too much overemphasis on/romanticization of the editing process.

- CEB likes to think of itself as innovative, but the CEO and the loyal lieutenants (that he hasn't forced out to secure his throne) all come from the old days of research and don't really understand much about innovating outside of the 2001 business model. Nothing new under the sun.

Advice to Senior ManagementCEB still hasn't re-established its employee value proposition since the 2008 crash. In 2000 it used to have tons of money to throw at problems, so working employees very hard was ok. The model was, work really hard. We're cash flush so we'll create perks and throw a lot of fancy events and if you succeed you can move up very quickly because we're growing so fast.

Today CEB is much more of a brick and mortar company with traditional plodding career advancement, but they are still operating like it's a high growth company. They need to rethink what they are really offering employees and how to strengthen that social contract.

Great opportunity for your first job

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Rosslyn, VA

ProsYounger culture, great experience for people with less than five years of experience, opportunities to talk to and work with the c-level, lots of community involvement.

ConsManaged by hearsay, conformist culture, groupthink, not managed by performance but by likeability, constantly changing standards based on your manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementDecide what a position should look like and the goals that position should achieve, and then measure against it.

Growth is slow in the US - Work for a growing company (not CEB)

Business Development Associate (Former Employee) Rosslyn, VA

Pros1. Gaining experience speaking to C-Level executives - Not just knowing what their challenges are but being able to voice them in a fluid manner.
    2. Working with young, intelligent people - For the most part, the atmosphere is inclusive and energetic (Although sometimes it comes across as a frat or cult).
    3. You get to put Corporate Executive Board on your resume.
    4. CEB practices the same corporate best practices it sells to members. Therefore, you learn a lot about these best practices and how to think strategically.
    5. Good food in a bustling area.

Cons1. The method of sales is not sales: It is a harassment. You are forced to bug these executives who have already seen several presentations within the last few months or year and have said this is not a fit. This is the type of sales-tactic that gives sale professionals a bad name. I understand you are not supposed to take no for an answer, but that is only when you know there is value for the prospect. If there is no value, then let it be.
    2. The selling territories are extremely small, so there is not a lot of room to chase new opportunities. Most of them have already been trampled on by other Sales Executives.
    3. Because of the split between the person who schedules the appointments and the person who performs the appointments, there is constantly a conflict of interest. The scheduler wants to simply schedule many appointments and is judged by how many appointments they set. The performer wants quality appointments and is judged by how many they close.
    4. Compensation package is stingy at best - You are not going to make money here very fast.
    5. Growth is slow-moving with artificial hurdles such as a official sales training program that feels like a Comm 101 class. You must attend these class or you cannot "graduate."
    6. Like any other company, management will choose their favorites, who typically match the brain-washed personality in the atmosphere.

Reasonable friendly and low hours but not intellectually stimulating

Research Analyst Intern (Former Employee) Rosslyn, VA

ProsThe people are generally friendly and the work load is quite manageable. It was quite rare to work late. If you get lucky with the right team, you can do some pretty interesting things.

ConsThe work and people are not particularly intellectually or academically focused. The culture is more quasi-fraternity largely driven to the substantial size of the sales teams. The company also often feels as though it is trying to be a true management consulting firm but not quite there.

Starting a new job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Rosslyn, VA

ProsCEB provides a terrific onboarding experience with orientation and extensive training. They want you to be prepared to do your job well and to truly understand the company.

ConsI don't know of any yet!

Worked for CEB? Contribute to the Community!