CEB

CEB Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated May 9, 2014

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III

Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance(in 42 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing(in 36 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still(in 37 reviews)

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Academic - Fast Paced - Great People

Account Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCLIENTS: Within CEB's Account Management organization you have the opportunity to speak with senior level executives from world-class companies about the challenges they face in their roles. Executives believe CEB can provide them with credible, insightful answers. There are only a few companies in the world where leading executives turn for this kind of advise and as an Account Manager, being the conduit of this perspective is a highly rewarding experience.

COLLEAGUES: You are surrounded by very intelligent, collaborative colleagues who are equally excited by the challenge of teaching executives at great companies something new. You won't find a nicer, more supportive sales organization.

SKILL DEVELOPMENT: Within Sales/Account Management you will learn how to: cold-call, communicate exceptionally well (written and verbal), diagnose complex business challenges, and position a solution to C-level executives. This experience is VERY valuable in the market. CEB has a reputation for developing the best talent in these areas.

ConsOPPORTUNITY: There are many leaders who are very tenured and have been in seat for some time. If you work within a regional office, the growth potential can be limited. Some tenured, high-performers have left for organizations with more opportunity for upward mobility.

PACE: The amount of work required to be a high-performer is not for everyone. There are long days and you sometimes sacrifice going home for the holidays. The "ramp time" (time from hire to when the business expects you to be performing) is very short.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain the culture of curiosity, member impact and generosity. Focus more on understanding the needs of regional offices and local talent markets. Figure out how to open up career paths.

Could not love my job more!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsColleagues you work with - smart, type A, motivated but wired to help others and have a passion for the business

Business model - none like it out there. Intellectually stimulating & fits in a key nitch

SF Office - small, collaborative, high performing, strong management team

ConsVOLUME - I thrive in volume, but if you don't, it may not be the place for you. We work with a lot of clients and field a lot of requests internally and externally each day. Be sure you are willing and motivated to work at that pace!

Unique exposure to c-level executives at a young age, opportunity for upward movement if you are willing to wait a while

Account Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat company to learn about the different functions of an organization and the challenges c-level executives face.
    Intelligent, hard-working people
    HQ office in Arlington is very modern and provides for a great working environment

ConsOpportunity for upward movement, but it will take a while. Policies in place for having to be in current role for 9 months before can move into different role.
    The SF office is like Office Space. Office cubes, gray, very minimal decoration - not your typical SF office with perks like snacks, sophisticated coffee machine, ping pong table, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove environment of SF office.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company if you're just starting out

Account Management Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-I've had the opportunity to work with a couple great managers and senior leaders on my team. With that being said, yes, your experience does ride on which team and which office you're in.
    -Managers and leaders (at least in the SF office) are open to talking about career development and to listen/help you -- you just have to seek them out and ask for their time. This is one great thing about the SF office. It's small, so individuals across the practices are all located on one floor and get to know each other.
    -Lots of opportunity for self development with the research
    -Exposure to corporate-level executives at a wide variety of organizations

Cons-Managers are able to work remotely and quite a few of them are remote most of the time (as in living in SoCal or Sacramento), which leaves the office empty at times.
    -Your experience depends on the team you work on. Unfortunately, I've had to put up with some snooty individuals on my team. This is coming from individuals that support an Account Manager, same as me. They might be a level or two above me, but that doesn't give you the right to look down on me and give me attitude. It's like high school with popularity, sheesh.
    -There's little wiggle room when it comes to sales operations processes. It can seem a little stifling. Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still.
    -I know they try to provide all the development and learning opportunities they can, but sometimes it came be a little too much. At times, they're a waste of time.
    -Could use more opportunities outside of revenue in the SF office.

CEB is a great first job out of college

Account Management Associate (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCEB provides great learning and training opportunities for entry level sales and account management staff. If you take a proactive approach to their training program you can gain invaluable experience over 1-2 years. Because of the "Challenger Sale" work, the CEB name carries a lot of weight in the sales world, so if you want to stay in Sales it is a great place to launch a career.

- good work life balance
    - good benefits package, 19 days PTO for entry level position
    - good people

Consthe regional offices don't have many of the roles one usually would move into after being in an entry level position for 2-3 years, so one has to potentially move to D.C. to continue to climb the ranks. Many of the more tenured manager types work remotely, which creates a lack of energy and experience at the office and can make things stale.

- salary is low to comparable job in San Francisco market

Advice to Senior Managementoffer higher salaries for sales/account management staff to compete with regional markets

find a way to bring more energy to the office

Great early career experieince

Director (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-people
    -access to Fortune 1000 senior executives

Cons-short term vision of senior management

Account Management Representative

AMX (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThis is a great company for new college graduates. It is an excellent learning experience for 1-2 years. Anything longer than this is a waste of your time. there is no room for growth at the company, management is out of it, they are obsessed with the almighty dollar and every single internal decision is based on how much more money the firm will gain. Power hungry.

ConsSSPD, management, no room for growth, low salary

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote high performers to internal positions...otherwise they will leave

It was monotonous

Revenue (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsFun group of people; young crowd; intelligent and helpful; good work/life balance

Conslack of clear advancement possibilities; upper management was ineffective and clueless

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it more clear about advancement possibilities

Forgotten their key differentiation - great research at reasonable prices

Associate Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros* Opportunity to engage with senior executives at Global 1000 companies all over the world is outstanding.
    * You are discussing real business issues with key decision makers, and helping them to think strategically.
    * Typical employees are young, hard-working and intelligent.
    Advice to Senior Management
    As the company has matured, it is now a time to refocus away from double-digit sales progress to increasing the retention rate of new and old members.

Cons* The relentless sales activities into past and future customers has really upset the market.
    * Managers are often very immature
    * Compensation structure is confusing

Advice to Senior ManagementDedicate more time to customer service, clients are dropping like flies not because of the quality of the research, but they can't find it or are annoyed at the constant upselling. Hire people with management experience for the right roles - stop promoting 20 year olds into management. Listen to what others have written here - senior management is toxic.

Great job if you have no life, and are looking at it as a stepping stone to another position with another company.

Account Director (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe job experience was helpful on my resume

ConsIt always seemed like I was doing a lot of work, to earn mediocre pay. It is a great fit for a kid right out of college who is focused on nothing but the start of their career. I was a bad hire, because I did not fit that.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually pay your employees the bonuses they earn in a timely manner. Getting paid six months after the fact is not very motivating.

Worked for CEB? Contribute to the Community!