CEB
www.cebglobal.com Arlington, VA 1000 to 5000 Employees

CEB Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Apr 8, 2014
CEB – Arlington – “Corporate Executive view (Photo thanks to Flickr…”

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III

Thomas L. Monahan III

232 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great environment, great people, intense workload, uncoordinated sales activities.

Account Management Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than a year

Prosthe people.....all young and well educated, good environment (if you're into the young - cliquey kind of environment - work 40+ hours together and spend weekends together etc.)

Conscompany values numbers.....thats it....they will push and push you to perform with incentives like giftcards and bonuses or leaving early friday. If you don't perform you don't advance and you eventually get phased out

Advice to Senior ManagementSSPD is a mess

Great Place for Recent Grads

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CEB full-time for more than 5 years

Pros- Constant opportunities to advance
- Great exposure to senior leadership
- Intellectual contributions are truly recognized
- Amazing exposure to very senior clientele

Cons- Work/life balance is a long-running joke
- Fast pace of the job translates into expectations of equally fast paced advancement; if you don't move up within six months-one year, you'll be forced out
- Middle management is exceedingly young and made up of a number of people who have only worked at CEB, resulting in a high-school cliquish environment

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in people to the middle management layer who have worked elsewhere - constant promotion from within means your company culture becomes incestuous and not open to change.

I've had better

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than a year

ProsName recognition and nice co-workers, for the most part. PTO allowance is great, entry-level employees can get up to 1 month off when you take into account holidays. Ability to work from home was a definite plus for me. The benefits package as a whole, actually, is really nice.

ConsEVERYTHING is a fire. Every day you are pushed to deal with ten things at once because they all are supposedly equal in significance and they all need to be dealt with RIGHT NOW.

To say managers micromanage is a severe understatement. You're never trusted to just get your work done without your boss breathing over your shoulder. Reviews are a joke. I got docked points for my review for not doing something that I was literally unable to do given my current status/position in the company. Pay is less than I would have thought given the size of the company and the giant workload; and bonuses are even less, if you are even eligible. Unless you're in senior management, I wouldn't expect budget-changing results from your bonus/raise.

Space. With recent office moves we are now on top of each other. Any inquiries as to whether we'll get allocated more space go largely unanswered as more and more people are hired. It doesn't make me feel like a valued employee when I have to share my one-person cube with 1-2 other people (at the same time).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging, and pay your employees better.

positive - been here 5 years - decent opportunities internally, but not great payers!

Senior Research Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than 5 years

Prosthe people; opportunities to try new roles or locations

Consthe pay; not great formal training

If you have another offer, think twice...

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time

ProsLocation in Rosslyn might be a plus for some
Offices are cubicle farms, but they are pretty modern
Free food (for those who care about that...I personally don't)

ConsMicro-management (at least on Sales side) and feels like being treated like a child
Feels like there are more millennials here than any other company in the US, and while some are great, it feels like an unprofessional environment at times. Most people in sales are divas...rude, short, impatient....
Turnover is very high
Difficult to find work-life balance - you have decent PTO but they don't want you to use it all and it doesn't roll over
Mandatory 10-hour days during certain times of the quarter/year, can't really enjoy Thanksgiving and Xmas

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide your sales staff with more flexibility since so much is demanded if us. This is an extremely high pressure environment. The firm values look great on paper, but it feels like management has created an environment where people do not truly adhere to them. Too many layers of complexity and inconsistency across he company, though I hear this is improving.

Mixed bag

Director of Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than a year

ProsMeritocracy - you can rise quickly if you excel
Work form home - At least partial work from home is possible
Comp/Ben - Great base salary, benefits and commission structure

ConsTerritory - If you don't have a good territory it can be impossible to hit sales targets
Resources - Given to those who excel (the rich get richer / coffee is for closers)
Boiler room - Too much emphasis on metrics / hitting the number over quality of service

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to develop your new talent or else you will continue to lose quality people before they ever have an opportunity to shine

Young and friendly environment, but very high turnover in employees.

Business Development Associate (Current Employee)
Washington, DC

I have been working at CEB full-time for less than a year

ProsOffice culture, benefits, peers, management

Consdo not allow enough time to develop professionally, unrealistic expectations, high pressure environment

Interesting Research - Poor Sales Model

Strategic Research Consultant (Former Employee)
Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time for more than a year

ProsMy work was in research - which was very interesting. Lots of amazing work is done with their client firms. A very rare opportunity to learn best practices from hundreds of firms.

ConsThe sales approach was, at times, unprofessional. I had to support the sales team, which depending on the sales person, could feel like the movie boilerroom.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeef up the professionalism of your sales staff, including management.

Good place to start your career

Business Development Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than a year

Pros- friendly coworkers
- incentive plan depending on practice
- professional development
- work/life balance

Cons- relatively low pay

A supportive employer ...ok pay

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at CEB full-time for more than 5 years

ProsWork-life balance at CEB depends and varies from team to team. For the most part, the company respects your time off (which is generous), weekends, and as with any job, only expects you to put in any extra hours if your team really needs it.

Friendly culture and exposure to very senior and CXO level leaders at organizations across the globe, who really respect CEB's work. Based on where you are in the organization, you are likely impacting the way some huge organizations in the world function. Career at CEB is what you make of it. There is flexibility in moving teams and looking for an opportunity that excites you.

ConsIts hard to leave CEB to join a similar employer because there are very few companies that do similar work. Moving from CEB to consulting is hard and the one out for early to mid-level professional is business school/grad school.

Pay is definitely not competitive given the strategic work that you do and the compensation policies are very opaque with only very senior level managers (MD and above) having any insight into how comp is determined. In all likelihood, your manager will have little to no control over your pay

India office is beginning to take shape into a back office with IT capabilites instead of a strategic research center

Advice to Senior ManagementWith all the changes we advise other companies to make, CEB is slow to change and very reluctant to adopt new ways of working and also having a robust implementation plan in place. Senior management is not held accountable for lack of results.

Worked for CEB? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CEB reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CEB CEO Thomas L. Monahan III. All 232 reviews posted anonymously by CEB employees.