CEB Reviews

• Washington, DC Area
3.4
CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

A great place to start out.

Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Very collegial.
    -People are kind and understanding
    -Engaging and exciting business

Cons

-Sometimes tough hours
    -Low Pay
    -Really when you think about it, there isn't much to complain about.
    -Im not much of a complainer anyhow

2. good for

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Rosslyn, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Rosslyn, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I think CEB is a really good stepping stone for someone just out of college or not sure exactly what they want to do.

Cons

goals could be set for each program instead of as a whole

Advice to Management

n/a

3. Good for starting a career

Former Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It is sink or swim at CEB. When you start you will have to learn quickly and deal with lost of responsibility is no time. It is a great place to quickly advance and get exposure to senior executives. You really understand what other companies are doing and the challenges they are facing.

Cons

Growth opportunities at CEB slow down considerably at the mid-management level. People in mid management tend to be stuck with little chance to advance and senior management very reluctant to let anyone into the inner circle. The senior management team has been in place for so long there is no innovation or fresh ideas. There are several senior leaders who are narcissistic egotists and enjoy preying on the new hires. The employment experience varies considerably by department and work-life balance is impossible in some roles.

Advice to Management

Bring new blood into senior management team. Hire outside expertise. Invest in technology solutions. Get ahead of the next downtown so 2009 is not repeated.

Stability vs. Making an Impact.

Former Employee - Revenue Support Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Revenue Support Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You're surrounded by very smart people, so your intellectually stimulated more than other companies I've worked at. You also have access a lot of really great information that can help you become a better manager. As a whole it's a good experience, if you're looking to manage entry level sales associates and teach them the basic, but you won't feel like you're really part of the "sales team". You're more handling their day to day output vs. feeling like you're making a real impact to the company.

Cons

Unless you started years ago, it's tough to hit goals, and I only see it getting even more difficult. Everyone you're calling knows who CEB is and it's only getting tougher to find those willing to speak. As a top performing associate, you're also at somewhat of a disadvantage to hitting your personal goals, as you'll likely be paired with a top performing sales executive to support, with tough accounts and high demands. Lots of career conversations for Associates, but very few for manager personally ( I don't think I ever was even asked what I wanted to do short and long term). Also extremely low compensation. I took a 50% pay cut for the role, which is what I wanted, but left for a 100% increase in earnings opportunities.

Advice to Management

Invest in making the product more interesting to prospects vs. just shoving it down their throats, rethink goals, invest more in making sales feel important (even if that means more compensation). Pay people more.

6. Good managers, lots of career development opportunities.

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

CEB takes a lot of its own advice, so management practices are overall pretty stellar. The number of bad managers is pretty low. I've put a lot of time into advancing my skills while at the company, so they've pretty well let me shape the kind of work I do. There's a lot of support for taking new responsibilities and growing if you're willing to be engaged and try for it. Work-life balance is very good.

Cons

Because work-life balance is very good, lower comp than some other companies that hire top-decile talent. They need to get better at encouraging flexibility for people who want to try a different team or part of the company - a rotation program, for instance.

Advice to Management

People get tired of doing the same thing over and over - that's the biggest complaint I've heard, but it really hasn't been an issue for me. Learn to circulate people in different teams, different roles.

7. Very Fast-paced, collaborative, flexible

Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Prior to joining CEB, I worked at several other companies, and can say that the people that I have met here are some of the smartest, most energizing people I've ever worked with in a professional setting. The work that the firm does is also very interesting and impacts thousands and thousands of other companies, which is very cool to be a part of. On a personal level, I'm grateful for the volunteer service hours and the flexibility that I have which allows me to better blend work/life.

Cons

It is incredibly fast-paced and if you can't juggle multiple, simultaneous key deliverables, it will be hard to keep your "head above water." CEB is a global company, so depending upon your role, you may have early calls or late calls with other locations. The constant flow of work and global setting sometimes makes you feel like you've always go to be "on."

Advice to Management

Certain locations only offer certain roles; consider allowing staff members outside of DC to work in traditionally DC-roles.

good to start career ; all politics to advance

Former Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company culture completely depends on the division you work in - some groups are more professional and others act like a legitimate fraternity - one thing that is common is that all of the divisions are genuinely fun to work in. In my entire tenure at the company, I maybe came across 5 people that were belittling/rude/impossible to work with. Everyone from senior management to support staff is friendly and willing to help. This is a fantastic company for people just moving to locations where they have a branch, and fresh college graduates. You learn so much about business in general and then specializing in the group you work in and have access to all of the best practice research that CEB churns out (and once you leave, you realize how valuable that is).

Cons

Compensation is far lower than market average, not just for sales, for most junior to mid level positions. Work-life balance is non-existent, and there is no line between personal and professional life - especially when you finally realize everyone is sleeping with each other. Advancing beyond what you were hired for is incredibly hard, again unless you are close with a higher up. When I was leaving CEB, especially in the DC area, the most common comment I would hear at interviews was "wow, you've been there X years, that's like double at any other company". The reputation that CEB has with staff churn is incredibly accurate and known to companies that have heard of CEB.

Advice to Management

Completely revamp your retention strategy; there are yearly surveys "diagnosing" employee engagement which come back consistently with areas of development and an overall rating of disengagement. Why not actually take tangible actions against that and keep your best players? I personally know of Sales staff that were leaving and were offered 2/5k as a retention bonus after it was made clear their new position paid 30+% more. It's incredibly insulting to say the least. Stop preaching about talent when you don't actually invest, grow, and keep your HiPos.

Current Senior Analyst, Executive Advisor. Previously a Business Development Representative.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Young, fun culture
    - Direct interaction with senior executives around the globe
    - Growing company with decent brand name

Cons

- Average compensation across company is way below market
    - Unprofessional culture, at times
    - Promotion potential / career pathing is generally limited in most functions

Advice to Management

Pay your employees better

Great company, bad sales environment

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture, a great way to make friends if you are new grad. Opportunities to move laterally if you do not enjoy your current role, as you get to apply internally before jobs are posted to the public. Very clear goals and advancement structure, generally a very organized company. Overall very transparent.

Cons

The cons mostly start with the recruitment process. I applied for the Business Development Associate position, and was told it was a sales job, but that I would have a real opportunity to get to know the business and develop my analytic skills. In reality, I had to memorize a bunch of information I didn't understand and regurgitate that to potential clients while cold calling, which gave me very little confidence on the phone. Additionally, your performance in the beginning is very heavily dictated by whom your sales representative is. My sales rep stole opportunities from me and it made it very difficult for me to do well. It was my first job out of college so it wasn't easy for me to stand up to her and I was miserable for the first few months, believing I was a failure, when in reality it was a failure of their sales system. Sales reps should not have so much control over the success of their Associates. Additionally, the Revenue Managers were the worst micromanagers, making me feel more like a pre-schooler than a college educated, responsible adult.

Advice to Management

Treat your Business Development Associates like adults, and give them more responsibility. If they flounder, than you can fire them. However, they will continue leaving en masse (I know because my entire start class but one is gone) if you continue to micro manage the way you do.

Be more a cheerleader than an enforcer to your team. Follow through on special incentives and perks, and make sure that when your team does something well you recognize it. If you don't , it feels like management is never happy.

Be more mindful in those you hire, and be clear on what the expectations are. Its a waste of time for both CEB and the interviewee to accept a position that they are not comfortable doing, or are not right for.

Put floating holidays in place, and allow more days off in Quarter 4. People do not work well when they're overworked, stressed out, and deprived of time with their families.

11. I had a great time at this company for a year right out of college.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great managers
    -Great Benefits
    -Good work-life balance (out by 5:30pm/6pm every day)
    -Proximity to senior execs at companies

Cons

-Lower starting salary than other consulting firms
    -Many analysts leave the firm after a year or two