CEB

Updated March 2, 2015
3.3

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

287 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

You will feel miserable the entire time.

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Coworkers
    They try to make the environment fun by bringing in food and having happy hours

Cons

All you do make 100+ dials a day, hopefully get an appointment, and then send a report of the prospects information to your Sales Executive. That the entire job in a nut shell.

The opportunity to actually get an appointment with someone is incredibly rare it seems, I would compare it to fishing at night with a spear and no flashlight. The girl I sat next for 4 days, making over 120 dials, didn't speak to a single person. That is the most draining and wasteful use of your time.

Clients are not interested in hearing about CEB since they have been called over and over and over again. You will here clients tell you "No" so many times that it will wear you down, probably explains CEB's high turnover of BDX's.

I had two managers at CEB. One was my Sales Executive who would make me feel that I was wasting her business leads and that something was wrong with me. The other was my team manager who everyday would tell me I am doing something wrong with out providing one on one support on how to strengthen my language when speaking with clients.

I know there are great managers that will work with you and help develop you as an employee, but the others will micromanage you and unhelpful.

Managers need a stronger training program improve their skills in running a team and helping individuals.

Current Senior Analyst, Executive Advisor. Previously a Business Development Representative.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Young, fun culture
    - Direct interaction with senior executives around the globe
    - Growing company with decent brand name

Cons

- Average compensation across company is way below market
    - Unprofessional culture, at times
    - Promotion potential / career pathing is generally limited in most functions

Pay your employees better

Great company, bad sales environment

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome company culture, a great way to make friends if you are new grad. Opportunities to move laterally if you do not enjoy your current role, as you get to apply internally before jobs are posted to the public. Very clear goals and advancement structure, generally a very organized company. Overall very transparent.

Cons

The cons mostly start with the recruitment process. I applied for the Business Development Associate position, and was told it was a sales job, but that I would have a real opportunity to get to know the business and develop my analytic skills. In reality, I had to memorize a bunch of information I didn't understand and regurgitate that to potential clients while cold calling, which gave me very little confidence on the phone. Additionally, your performance in the beginning is very heavily dictated by whom your sales representative is. My sales rep stole opportunities from me and it made it very difficult for me to do well. It was my first job out of college so it wasn't easy for me to stand up to her and I was miserable for the first few months, believing I was a failure, when in reality it was a failure of their sales system. Sales reps should not have so much control over the success of their Associates. Additionally, the Revenue Managers were the worst micromanagers, making me feel more like a pre-schooler than a college educated, responsible adult.

Treat your Business Development Associates like adults, and give them more responsibility. If they flounder, than you can fire them. However, they will continue leaving en masse (I know because my entire start class but one is gone) if you continue to micro manage the way you do.

Be more a cheerleader than an enforcer to your team. Follow through on special incentives and perks, and make sure that when your team does something well you recognize it. If you don't , it feels like management is never happy.

Be more mindful in those you hire, and be clear on what the expectations are. Its a waste of time for both CEB and the interviewee to accept a position that they are not comfortable doing, or are not right for.

Put floating holidays in place, and allow more days off in Quarter 4. People do not work well when they're overworked, stressed out, and deprived of time with their families.

I had a great time at this company for a year right out of college.

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Great managers
    -Great Benefits
    -Good work-life balance (out by 5:30pm/6pm every day)
    -Proximity to senior execs at companies

Cons

-Lower starting salary than other consulting firms
    -Many analysts leave the firm after a year or two

CEB is a research-based membership advisory firm, built upon very unique business model.

Current Employee - Finance Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Finance Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Culture is very young and professional. The leadership team is very approachable and open. The firm invests a lot in employee professional development. Work-life balance is great. Company is set to grow exponentially through 2020.

Cons

Compensation is lower than average, especially in the DC metro area, which leads to high turnover. Unless you're on the sales team, there is little opportunity for bonuses.

Good company to start with and build skills for your career.

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at CEB

Pros

Great training
    Young, intellectual team
    Opportunities for advancement

Cons

There is a limit to growth

less micromanagement

Associate Director

Current Employee - Associate Director in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good work-life balance, flexible hours, great colleagues. It is a good company to start your career with.

Cons

Slow career progress, less salaries, changing management on the worse side

Listen to employees suggestion. Do not lose your culture which you are in the last 2-3 years.

Decent

Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

At CEB there are great people and supportive leadership; everyone is willing to help and the environment is very collaborative.

Cons

Job is simply scheduling-you dont really use your brain as much as you would like..I find that I had a lot of downtime as well.

Use more incentives with staff. Additionally, add some complexity to the job to retain employees.

Great first job

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Career development opportunities, intellectual culture, challenging work, work-life balance. The actual work is great, and you learn a lot of valuable skills. People are often described as "very smart and very nice".

Cons

Compensation, compensation, compensation. They don't pay nearly enough at the entry-level considering what schools they are recruiting from.

Pay analysts more, especially if you're recruiting from the top schools.

A "Burn and Churn" Company

Former Employee - Account Management Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Account Management Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Strong team environment among the AMx/BDx community, access to great research and decent sales training program (SSPD). Beer at the office on Fridays and free food at the end of Quarters. Everyone I worked with was the same age (recent college grad)

Cons

After a year of being part of the AMx/BDx team, I was the most tenure person there, since everyone leaves a soon as they get hired. Compensation is low for the schools they recruit from and they area that the company is HQ. Year over year expectations of sales do not align with the resources available to meet expectations (eg. An increase of 30% in new business when there is not an increase of 30% in the research side. Very hard to do when Analysts are always busy and cannot deliver new research as often). The job itself gets really repetitive fast, you are consider to be more of an administrative assistant than a strategic partner with the account manager, but this depends on who your account manager is. The SSPD program is consider to be a tool for growth in the Sales department, but many people consider it to be a waste of time and it stops very qualified employees from getting promotions when they deserve them. Upper management plays favorites and it is obvious who they are, when you bring constructive criticism to your manager you might as well start looking for a new job since you will be considered to be "getting in the way" of things. For a best practice company, they are very stubborn and stock in their ways. One thing that I always noticed is that everyone always looked stressed and tired.

CEB is a fast growing company, but you got to take better care of employees and invest more money in ways to improve internal processes. CEB lets great talent leave the company all the time and does nothing to retain it. Work life balance does not exist. I took a 2 week vacation and my expectation was that I could be reached over email and that I would be able to work a certain amount of hours a week.