CEB

Updated November 19, 2014
3.2

CEB Chairman and CEO Thomas L. Monahan III
Thomas L. Monahan III

Pros
  • Great place to start after university with an excellent work life balance (in 48 reviews)

• Gained experience selling to C-Level executives (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Micromanagement and very poor work life balance due to intentional under-staffing (in 41 reviews)

• Senior management has a hawk eye on metrics; yes, they're important, but still (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

266 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Culture, Work Environment & Learning Opportunities

Current Employee - AMX in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - AMX in Washington, DC

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-culture -smart, fun, attractive and
    -peer-learning and collaboration
    -networking and career pathing
    -learning & development - everyone is willing to help you get where you want to go
    -promotions
    -member partnerships-speaking and/or meeting with F100 executives daily and gaining insight into the business environment at large, but especially in the functional area that you are focused on.

Cons

Direct manager (AM/SE's) sometimes get on "power trips" - well I've only had one who was hard to work with. ... but worth mentioning as this partnerhship is tight knit.

(See Cons).

Great first job

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team, great commission opportunity. I learned a lot and the young culture really appealed to me and continues to.

Cons

Not a ton of room for growth given the practice I was in and there was a lack of structure at the time.

Work hard to maintain today's culture as the business grows in the future

Some good, some bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

With the right manager and team, a great supportive place to work with plenty of running room to explore your skills

Cons

The culture in some functions borders on the amoral

Introduce morals and ethics into all areas of the company - and mean it.

Mostly positive, could pay more for what we do

Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Account Management Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not really told how to do my job, but given support when needed. Management are friendly and low key. All management is highly accessible and approachable.

Cons

Probably the worst hiring process I have ever seen. Long delays, terrible job of explaining what the day to day will look like, no interaction with people in seat for the role, and a lot of confusion over amx vs bdx. HR people were friendly, but I had much better interviews with every other company i interviewed with

pay your new hires better. allow flexibility to promote out of SSPD levels without necessarily hitting the exact metric each quarter. This policy takes advantage of new hires and traps them in low paying jobs. 40,000 base for DC is very very low. 55,000 would be more consistent with the nature of the role.

Long career with great learning

Former Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Washington, DC

I worked at CEB full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

CEB is simultaneously the world's best business classroom and a business itself, so it provides wonderful opportunities to study great businesses and run a business at the same time. The opportunity to do and think about business simultaneously is an incredible experience, and there is no shortage of really hard working, really smart people around who set a high bar for you to meet.

Cons

The higher you get in the company, the more stifling the egos are and it can become depressing. The company advertises itself as a meritocracy but judgment of a person's merits becomes more and more subjective as responsibilities grow.

Work to bring back some of the graciousness and humility that's been lost since the days of DvB. It helps keep people engaged and inspired even while going through the grinder.

Run as far as you can

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Other young employees in office

Cons

If you want to make 150+ phone calls a day and actually only talk to 2 correct contacts then go for it. It's a horrible, degrading Expierence that I hope no one else has to go through.

Better communication is needed

Good for Early Career, Not a Place You Stay

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time

Pros

I've gotten what I wanted out of my experience at CEB, which when I first started, was essentially to learn more about business/strategy. I really love the people I work with-- everyone is smart, and comes from really diverse backgrounds which makes for great conversation. Also, early on in my career I had a couple of great managers but of course a con is that you get moved around a lot and I think good managers are rare at this company.

Cons

- Low pay. If you're in research, which is supposedly the "backbone" of the company don't expect to be rewarded for this. Compared to industry standards, CEB pays its employees very poorly. This is simply part of its strategy-- it can hire cheap, inexperienced college students any time for research positions and training costs are low. So, they don't really care at all.
    - Research experience is not "creative" as they describe. The research process at CEB can be taxing. As a researcher you're told to go think "out of the box" but ultimately decisions on research are made by the advisory side or your research manager. If your ideas don't mesh with the ideas of senior leadership in the company, you won't move up in the company.
    - No recognition. There's hardly any recognition of people in research roles. You pretty much have to move into advisory for people to notice you, otherwise you leave the company.
    - Limited Opportunity. There are three career paths at CEB-- sales, research and advisory. Again, research is limited-- they can't have too many senior managers in research positions because it's not profitable enough. While advisory okay, it's definitely not everyone's thing. In advisory, you eventually have to go on roadshows, present research, etc.
    - No brand image: CEB never branded itself in early years! For some reason the CEO didn't believe it was important. It's never going to the get the recognition that companies like Deloitte, Accenture, etc. get so don't be surprised when people ask you if it's a made-up company.
    - Limited resources: Sure, CEB might have a gym but there are basic things the company fails to provide its employees, which in turn, makes it harder for them to do their jobs. For instance, more experienced professionals don't have access to a laptop. Also, many calls rooms have been transformed into offices.

Invest in your people. High turnover has a really negative impact on the people that stay at CEB.

Great for Career Development

Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I came here for career development, and that's what I got. Like all things in life, you only get out of it what you put in, but there's a lot to get from a career at CEB. I began in the product track. (Not the sales side.)

Cons

A bit under market pay for consulting, but it's fair for the work-life balance.

A great place to work

Former Employee - Procurement Manager in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Procurement Manager in Arlington, VA

I worked at CEB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Young, entrepreneurial environment. Great location. A company that is known for its intelligent, B-school hires means that you'll be surrounded by the best and brightest.

Cons

Limited work/life balance (flexible scheduling) options. Expensive and very limited parking. Elevator wait times can get really tedious.

Better process consistency across all levels

Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Account Management Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Account Management Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CEB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The office culture is one of the biggest pros at CEB. The young, fast-paced environment makes CEB a very exciting & fun place to work. Another major pro is that there are a lot of upward and lateral mobility opportunities, allowing its employees to move around the company and try new things.

Cons

For the DC area, the entry-level jobs seem a bit lower than the average, but there are many great benefits that help undercut this con.