CFA Software

Updated January 29, 2015
2.3

James Magee
1 Rating

There is opportunity here for those that strive to excel.

Current Employee - Account Services Manager
    Current Employee - Account Services Manager

I have been working at CFA Software

Pros

I've been with CFA Software for more than 10 years. I started as the Administrative Assistant and moved up to Software Support Technician, Training Coordinator, Sales Rep, and Account Services Manager.

The company is stable; they have been in business since 1969 and are a leader in their industry.

CFA Software has provided me with the unique opportunity to work for a small company that serves a large and loyal customer-base.

As an employee, I feel management has been quite flexible in working with employees towards solutions when family responsibilities arise.

When I started here I had minimal office experience. I took advantage of the opportunity to learn desktop publishing, software support, customer-facing software training, event planning, trade show management, sales and more.

There is opportunity here for those that strive to excel.

Cons

Some can find that the office is too quiet at times.

Stagnate Software Company

Former Employee - Applications Support Technical Specialist in Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Support Technical Specialist in Addison, IL

I worked at CFA Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company was great for a person straight out of college. I learned so much from my peers on basic troubleshooting, networking and programming. Additionally, this company has a very dependable and wonderful client base. For the most part, every client I worked with was easy to talk to and easy to work with. There were high level issues, however, most were low level. Again, making this a great position for person out of college, trying to get experience.

Cons

I was at the company for less than two years. The first con is that the software has a long product life cycle. The look and feel of the product is something from the 1990's. As a technology company, it is essential that the software keeps up with the time. I, myself, saw this as a red flag as no company growth. I want to be a part of a company that has some desire to expand and become more profitable. The technologies were so old that I could not afford to be at the company more than 3 years for another company would never hire me. I kid you not, I was programming on a WINDOWS 98 PC!! YIKES!!!

Second, the facility is in shambles. Dirty, holey walls; worn, ripping carpet; bugs swarming the facility; pipes bursting; brutal summers and winters for I am positive that the walls were not insulated; overall glooming atmosphere. Owners / upper management would claim that repairs would get done, but I stopped holding my breath 6 months into my first year.

Third, the benefits were weak. Before you could get ANY paid time off, you had to work one year. There sick / personal day that you can use. Health insurance is NOT suited for a family. Another reason I looked for a new company was because I needed to get health insurance in the coming years (turning 26). I looked for a company with insurance worth paying for. Life insurance was one dollar a month, but the return, if I died, was barely enough to burry me. Finally, there was a retirement program but options were limited.

Lastly, there was NO company structure. Whatever the manager or Upper management said, you did it. Early on, it seemed that any out-of -the-ordinary task was assigned without any guidance. And, when I asked for help, I felt awful / stupid for not knowing the answer. That's how management treated me as an employee. I must say things did seem to improve for myself, but, then again, I tried not to engage management for I really did not want to be embarrassed. "Scoldings" would occur in front of your peers. Upper management would not pull you into a room to discuss. It would all be put out on the line for EVERYONE to hear.

Employees are your greatest asset. Think of all the time and money wasted on training new ones. Take pride in the company. If the facility and product looks horrific, then potential employees may think that's how they will be treated. Build some sort of company culture. Casual Fridays, birthday celebrations, or just something! Ask employees how they you make / change something to operate more efficiently. Utilize social media like facebook and linkedin. Use these tools to highlight event and to sent the newsletter.

Worst job experience ever!

I have been working at CFA Software full-time

Pros

Your fellow coworkers and customers is the only place to extract any sense of happiness on the job; however, that can fluctuate especially with customers and employees alike are starting to run away as fast as they possibly can.

Cons

You are never given clear directions on anything; however, if something goes wrong its always your fault and never with the process or lack of leadership. Do not bother offering suggestions on improvements. They have had decades of great people come and go voice their suggestions go unheard. It doesn't take new hires long to see that something is seriously wrong with this place. Do not ignore your gut reaction with this place. It's a very distracting place to work when you feel like management is always trying to pull a fast one on you. Take these reviews to heart. The company only employs 6-8 people at any given time so what you are seeing here is a general consensus and not just a few disgruntled employees.

Most of your issues stems from the fact that no one in management has basic people skills. You need to understand the basic tenant that your greatest assets are your employees. If your employees are not happy that effects customers which in turns effects the bottom line.

Steady, but very slow moving for a technology company. Lack of development puts the organization behind competitors.

I have been working at CFA Software

Pros

Ability to do things on your own.

Cons

Non-existent marketing, no strategic plan and poor communication to staff on direction of the company and any changes. Integrity is lacking. It is the unsaid that is always hidden intentionally.

Come up with priorities, primary goals for a year, share them with your staff and have them contribute as to how to execute them. Avoid treating the staff as if it were back in the 1970's and enable them to understand the direction you are going.

Toxic work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, IL

I worked at CFA Software

Pros

They'll hire you and mostly leave you alone if you're competent and keep to yourself. The customers are typically very genuine people, given that you work with lots of shop managers in the public sector. The customers are great to talk to and most genuinely want to learn the software.

Cons

Toxic work environment. Micromanaging depending on the task - people with "seniority" determine which parts of your job they want to do and what busy work they want to unload on you - even when they are not in your department and are not your supervisors.

No training on entry to the company; you are expected to train yourself on the software and business practices. No support from upper management, no coaching, no mentoring.

The environment is very secretive, and your job role and expectations are unclear. Job description/duties can change without notice and frequently. Disrespectful treatment of employees (managers reprimand or "retrain" loudly in earshot of the rest of the company on the open cube floor, for example).

Gave two weeks' notice, was only kept on for a week and deemed useless after that point, so was let go at the end of the first week of notice and only paid for one week - no severance package even for salaried position.

Senior management spends more time watching the clock by the second than running the company. Environment feels like a prison - everyone seems afraid of reprimand.

Sales is irresponsible with selling people training they don't need. Several times I was embarrassed when on-site with clients who were sold a full beginners class when they'd been using the software for 20 years and really only needed a refresher or data services. Improper sales wastes the customer's time, the company's time, and the customer's money.

Take Dave Ramsey's Entreleadership class. There is also a podcast on iTunes. Please listen to these lessons and take them to heart.

Realize that managing employees is not about dogging their every second to frighten them into toeing the line, but is instead about inspiring them to be excellent and giving them ownership over their job. Give your employees ample support and training, and a clear idea of what their job expectations are. Give your employees an idea of how they can grow and take on more responsibility so they can actually be valuable assets instead of a drain on resources.

Take an active role in management and don't let employees with seniority run departments unrelated to their own job. Hire department heads/managers - salespeople should not be responsible for delegating responsibilities to trainers or development or technical support.

I sincerely hope you can change your business practices because you have the opportunity to provide a valuable product and service to important clients, and to do so without making your employees miserable and without cheating your clients out of money for training and other services they don't need. Just because you've been doing it this way for over 30 years doesn't mean it's working or you should continue to do so. Your relatively niche market and technologically underdeveloped client base has kept you safe and made you complacent; I hope you can break away from that and become excellent in the future.

Good for newly grad

I have been working at CFA Software

Pros

You're not micromanaged here. You are given freedom to determine how you do your job. You get to interact with customers a lot. It's a nice start up job and pretty secure.

Cons

There are no clear instructions from the management about what your job responsibilities are. Your job responsibilities can grow without notice. You are on your own completing your job tasks without much recognition. You will be noticed if you make mistakes. Otherwise you're pretty invisible to the management. There's not much professional advancement to expect from here.

Reward good employees fairly. Communicate with the employees about how the company is doing and what direction it's going.

Steady Job

I have been working at CFA Software

Pros

- steady job
    - not much chance you will be laid off
    - your not micromanaged

Cons

- no direction
    - no communication

Need to value your employees and not keep everything a secret.