CFPB Reviews

Updated August 22, 2014
2.4

CFPB Director Richard Cordray
Richard Cordray

Hard work for great mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CFPB full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good work/life balance
    - People are passionate about what we are doing
    - Good mix of career public sector and private sector employees
    - Government agency that does not feel like a bureaucracy

Cons

- Can be hard to navigate time off policies, but not a huge deal...very few cons

A lot of potential but very disappointing in the end.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC

I have been working at CFPB for less than a year

Pros

The mission is the best part of the agency and why I chose to work here in the first place. I genuinely care about helping consumers, and still believe that the CFPB has the potential to make a big impact.

Cons

I came here relatively early in my career. I have been very disappointed by the lack of training for junior employees relative to other agencies (e.g. Federal Reserve Board).

More importantly however, is the lack of loyalty to staff, combined with the high degree of nepotism. A frightening number of employees have admitted to me that they were hired because of their "connections" - maybe not surprising, but disheartening for an agency with diversity problems!

Management is not supportive at all. I have spoken with my supervisor directly only once in the past 3 months and was recently informed that my main project for the last two may be cut, without any advance notice.

There's still time to change, but it is disappearing rapidly! Overall, very very disappointed. I am looking for a new job.

Respect your employees. Do things on time, when you say you will. Get some management training!

Great Mission Poor Execution

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at CFPB full-time

Pros

The idea behind this Bureau is so crucial to many of the problems faced by poor people in America. It's existence is one of the only avenues that the bottom 80% have to communicate injustice to Washington.

Cons

The problem is that the majority of employees are upper class resume stuffers who don't care at all about the mission. The hire their friends with the hopes of cashing in favors later. The blatant apathy and nepotism of this place makes it both a colossal and a miserable place to work.

Stop hiring your friends and their kids. Start caring about the people the Bureau is designed to protect.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great mission difficult work environment

Current Employee - Professional  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Professional in Washington, DC

I have been working at CFPB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Under most circumstances, working here does give you the opportunity to make a difference for consumers in the financial marketplace.

Cons

There is a lack of accountability at the place. A lot of managers got there by happenstance and are very threatened by others with experience. For a lot of experienced professionals coming into this environment, it can be brutal, as some managers are dead set on asserting their superiority and putting others down. One solution for some managers is to hire all their friends, favor them, and create a clubby atmosphere. Another approach is for certain managers to set on certain "credentials" as showing you get to "join the club," whether it be the school you went to (most likely), a firm or agency (i.e. Treasury) you worked out, or some immeasurable coolness factor. Moreover, in at least some areas of the agency, you do not need to be brilliant to "get the job done," and they are more than happy to have their "buds" receive the best assignments even if work is not done at as well as a 21st Century Agency should be working.

Right now, I am hesitant to advise management. While there are occasional positive signs, at other times management seems insincere in making improvements and/or has created such a chilling effect that employees are not comfortable in outing existing issues and offering sincere advice.

Nepotism, Cronyism, Discrimination, Hostile work environment

Current Employee - Lawyer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lawyer in Washington, DC

I have been working at CFPB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Federal benefits, great mission, downtown DC office.

Cons

Stay away!!!! Incompetent and arrogrant managers create a work environment that is retaliatory, discriminatory, and hostile. Promotion potential are based on "who you know" or worse "who you sleep with." Despite all the hearings in Congress, everything is still the same and management continue to retaliate against employees. Alot of workers have PTSD.

Senior management knows about these problems. They are the problem.

Nepotism, cronyism, discriminatory

I have been working at CFPB full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Federal benefits, downtown DC, easy to get to, you get to go home at the end of the day and escape some of the worst managers ever

Cons

Some of the worst managers you can ever imagine, if you are not friends with a manager or higher-up your career will stall. You cannot imagine the level of incompetence and favoritism that exists in a fairly new organization.

Learn how to treat people with respect

Very prejudiced..unfair and deceitful managers/management

I have been working at CFPB full-time for more than a year

Pros

Agency with a good mission - only in the books!!

Cons

No respect for employees, extreme favoritism. Managers unfortunately have too much power vested in them and do not know how to handle it...As a result they play with the careers of their staff. Top management knows very well as to what goes on but have opted to either gang up or do nothing about it!! It is shameful that an agency that calls itself a 21st century agency and claims to "work" for consumers, treats its employees in such a deceitful way...

Make amends before it is too late!!! come up with internal hiring policies ASAP and DONOT lose your valuable staff!! Treat your employees with more respect...

I had a horrible experience at the CFPB some of the lead management are cut throat and do not allow any room for error.

I worked at CFPB

Pros

This would be a great place to work if you are not a contractor they have great benefits and there pay scale is current with government agencies.

Cons

Not a great place for contractors to work they do not offer training and expect you to perform a job with SOP that are not correct.

Offer training to contractors and allow time to learn the job adequately. Allow room for human error and think of others. Some of the lower level management do not have people skill and know how to treat their employees.

Great Mission, Great People, and open to change

I worked at CFPB full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have seen a significant effort for the Bureau and some of it's offices trying to listen to the employees. The Bureau is a great place to work with dedicated individuals and you can actually see the effect that the work has on the public. The Bureau is still in a bit of a startup phase and has some growing pains, but this is a great place to be at.

Cons

I would say that the biggest issue is IT and their inability to function correctly. Their policies and lack of knowledge is very apparent and is hindering the Bureau and the employees from doing great work.

My advice would be to bring in experienced federal IT professionals to get the shop working correctly and functioning properly.

Great Agency

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CFPB full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a new agency, so there isn't too much red tape yet.

Cons

There are no internal hiring policies.

None.

Worked for CFPB? Contribute to the Community!