CFPB Reviews

Richard Cordray

Examiner

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cheyenne, WY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cheyenne, WY

I worked at CFPB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is exceptional. Interesting and rewarding work.

Cons

Lots of Travel. New agency with some growing pains but very responsive management

2. CFPB Intern

I have been working at CFPB

Pros

Great opportunity and great pay and great people

Cons

no room for growth or to stay with this position only temporary

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. Good work experience--work involved creativity and had impact

I have been working at CFPB full-time

Pros

Pros you'd expect from government position: public-service work, good work-life balance, good benefits
    Additionally: good investment in employee training, good compensation (it's not private sector but it's not bad)
    Lastly: Certainly the Bureau is still mission-focused, with talented people excited about the project of protecting American consumers

Cons

This isn't everywhere (and certainly not at higher levels of management), but there does seem to be a feeling that working in a government agency is a step down from the top private companies, which can be a drag on motivation (I didn't share that opinion coming into the Bureau)

5. Great Place to make a difference and serve your country

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CFPB full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission protecting American consumers. Co-workers are intelligent and friendly especially in the Midwest region. Management encourages employee personal growth. Pay is competitive

Cons

There is more work than employees at this time.

Advice to Management

Headquarters should delegate more decision making to the Regions. T

6. Innovative Federal Agency With An Important Mission

I have been working at CFPB

Pros

A new (and 21st century) agency with a great mission: to educate and protect the American consumer. The talent, dedication, and passion of ALL employees at CFPB provides a tremendous working environment. No matter what your role is, you will find the opportunity to be innovative and establish a sound market that works for consumers. CFPB is the next big leader in public service.

Cons

Coming from the private sector, I was accustomed to a fast pace environment. While we are a few notches above many other agencies, we encompass the same hurdles when implementing change.

7. Do work that matters.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CFPB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CFPB is a rarity in the public sector: a newly created agency in a critical sector of the economy, charged with protecting consumers. CFPB offers unparalleled opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way to helping others. I've never worked with smarter, more capable people, many of whom share my deep commitment to the bureau's mission.

Cons

As a new agency, there are still a lot of processes being built. One side effect of working with brilliant people is that they can have strong opinions if they disagree, and continuing to refine role clarity and "swim lanes" can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

Keep prioritizing the culture and steadily building processes and structures that help people to do their jobs; avoid the temptation to become a traditional bureaucracy.

Wouldn't Imagine Working for Any Other Federal Agency

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CFPB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the best and brightest people I've ever had the chance to work with. The people here are top notch, truly collaborative, and amazingly passionate about the impact they're having on the lives of everyday Americans. Coming from the private sector into public service, the CFPB created an environment that was full of open arms. Someone is always willing to help, and there's an awesome appreciation for new and diverse perspectives. I've grown so much professionally in just a short period of time.

Cons

It's the federal government, so it can be a bit wonky, lot's of new rules to learn. No frills on the office space (good for tax payers!), but totally worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Focus on the long game, and don't allow the winds of politics distract you from the prize!

Analyst

I have been working at CFPB full-time

Pros

Not yet an entrenched Federal bureaucracy! Still willing to base procedures on best practices and take input from opposing voices. CFPB is not (yet) stuck on doing things a certain way because that is the way they were done before.

Cons

Immature, inexperienced managers. Too many meetings. Arriving at consensus for most decisions slows things down and requires more meetings. Organization is very focused on lawyers - needs to show more interest in non-attorneys.

Advice to Management

Find ways to prevent hiring managers from hiring friends or former associates. Nepotism is too common here. Show more interest in non-attorney career paths.

Attorney

I have been working at CFPB

Pros

Great Mission
    Top government salary
    Creative co-workers

Cons

Sorry - not going there here

Better than most government

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CFPB full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Collaborative culture. People always looking for ways to improve and get better. Great benefits. Talented people. People care deeply about the mission and helping consumers.

Cons

Still trying to figure out how to balance inward and outward focus. We get so focused on the mission and our external achievements we forget to take care of our own. This is explainable given we are a new agency that really needs to prove itself but in the long run it is not sustainable.

Advice to Management

Focus on leadership. Your title does not make you a leader. Don't make exceptions for managers and executives; rather, hold them accountable and treat them like everyone else. Risk aversion is understandable but it permeates everything causing inefficiency, slow communication, lack of innovation, and low empowerment.

RSS Feed </> Embed