CFPB

Updated Apr 10, 2014

CFPB Director Richard Cordray

Richard Cordray

Innovative Federal Agency With An Important Mission

I have been working at CFPB

ProsA new (and 21st century) agency with a great mission: to educate and protect the American consumer. The talent, dedication, and passion of ALL employees at CFPB provides a tremendous working environment. No matter what your role is, you will find the opportunity to be innovative and establish a sound market that works for consumers. CFPB is the next big leader in public service.

ConsComing from the private sector, I was accustomed to a fast pace environment. While we are a few notches above many other agencies, we encompass the same hurdles when implementing change.

Do work that matters.

I have been working at CFPB full-time for more than a year

ProsCFPB is a rarity in the public sector: a newly created agency in a critical sector of the economy, charged with protecting consumers. CFPB offers unparalleled opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way to helping others. I've never worked with smarter, more capable people, many of whom share my deep commitment to the bureau's mission.

ConsAs a new agency, there are still a lot of processes being built. One side effect of working with brilliant people is that they can have strong opinions if they disagree, and continuing to refine role clarity and "swim lanes" can be a challenge.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep prioritizing the culture and steadily building processes and structures that help people to do their jobs; avoid the temptation to become a traditional bureaucracy.

Wouldn't Imagine Working for Any Other Federal Agency

Washington, DC

I have been working at CFPB full-time for less than a year

ProsSome of the best and brightest people I've ever had the chance to work with. The people here are top notch, truly collaborative, and amazingly passionate about the impact they're having on the lives of everyday Americans. Coming from the private sector into public service, the CFPB created an environment that was full of open arms. Someone is always willing to help, and there's an awesome appreciation for new and diverse perspectives. I've grown so much professionally in just a short period of time.

ConsIt's the federal government, so it can be a bit wonky, lot's of new rules to learn. No frills on the office space (good for tax payers!), but totally worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Focus on the long game, and don't allow the winds of politics distract you from the prize!

Great Place to Work

Policy Assistant (Summer Intern) (Former Employee)

I worked at CFPB as an intern for less than a year

ProsCoworkers are bright and motivated. Bureau has a start-up feel. Open management structure. Doesn't feel overly bureaucratic. Management will listen if you have suggestions on how to do something in a different/better way than it is currently being done. Pay is competitive with private sector.

ConsThere is not enough staff for all of the work that there is to be done, so it can feel overwhelming at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

Great Agency

I have been working at CFPB full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's a new agency, so there isn't too much red tape yet.

ConsThere are no internal hiring policies.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Great Mission, Great People, and open to change

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CFPB full-time for more than a year

ProsI have seen a significant effort for the Bureau and some of it's offices trying to listen to the employees. The Bureau is a great place to work with dedicated individuals and you can actually see the effect that the work has on the public. The Bureau is still in a bit of a startup phase and has some growing pains, but this is a great place to be at.

ConsI would say that the biggest issue is IT and their inability to function correctly. Their policies and lack of knowledge is very apparent and is hindering the Bureau and the employees from doing great work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to bring in experienced federal IT professionals to get the shop working correctly and functioning properly.

Working as a contractor for CFPB was a wonderful workplace experience.

Administrative Operations Assistant (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at CFPB as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe employees from top management down the chain seemed excited to meet the goals of the company.

ConsAs a contractor, I was not given the opportunity to stay on as a full-time employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more communicating with personnel.

Overall Good Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at CFPB as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood Mission, Smart People, Data-Driven

ConsStill lacks the strong organization necessary to succeed

A Noble Cause, but Often Frustrating and Stressful

Examiner (Former Employee)

I worked at CFPB full-time for more than a year

ProsThe agency has real belief in consumer rights and protections. As a result, they have gotten the attention of much of the financial world.

ConsA general lack of organization and structure. Many new examiners didn't get opportunities for proper training, and most of the experienced examiners' workload didn't allow for much time to train them. Lack of transparency from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent, and look for ways to improve the work environment.

Opportunities to do good for small and big consumer finance products

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at CFPB full-time for more than a year

ProsYoung, fresh and new organization.

ConsFaster than others, but still slow government pace

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go of the familiar to embrace the new

Worked for CFPB? Contribute to the Community!

CFPB Videos

CFPB – Why Work for Us?

Learn about the Bureau The central mission of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) is to make markets for consumer financial products and services work for Americans — whether they are applying for a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CFPB reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CFPB CEO Richard Cordray. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by CFPB employees.