CFY Reviews

Updated July 3, 2014
Updated July 3, 2014
3.2

Elisabeth Stock

Really good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at CFY for more than a year

Pros

I have worked at CFY for more than a year, and this has been one of the most positive experiences of my career. The organization's programs are making a real difference for our partner schools and the staff are positively motivates and great to work with. Seeing the recent review that is so extreme and negative, I am not sure what that person is reacting to because the management in my experience is supportive, engaged, effective. Colleagues here are some of the best I've seen.

Cons

I wish we could have more cross-office visits in our different regions so we could do more in-person meetings with people from different regions. That would help us get to know each other better.

Keep raising money and talking up CFY's work and impact! We have some great ideas that are ready to be spread.

Unstable

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at CFY part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great mission, convenient location in the heart of midtown, lots of team bonding and somewhat relaxed office environment.

Cons

Probably part and parcel of working in non profits, but while I was there every six months there were layoffs and cutbacks due to lack of funding. Although I felt a valued member within my team, employees in other departments were standoffish and exclusionary.

Iffy nonprofit with bad management and flaky future

I worked at CFY full-time

Pros

Excellent coworkers on the ground level - very motivated and attached to the mission. There was a great work-life balance and not that much pressure to "act" like a business at first (this turned for the worse). I felt as though I was making great impacts in the communities I served and gained some valuable skills.

Cons

Management is WAY too hands on. Nepotism was throughout the organization and it was very apparent when it came to promotions (too some not qualified people) - this resulted in lackluster funding and ultimately layoffs. The typical, run-of-the-mill nonprofit with grandiose dreams of making impact but terrible HR and organizational practices which will hinder it from ultimately achieving its goals. Not surprising.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not recommended

I worked at CFY full-time

Pros

Most of the mid and ground-level staff is highly committed and believes in the organization's stated mission. Location is convenient but there are no parks or green spaces any where near the office.

Cons

Senior level management is far too hands-on and impedes the work of the staff. Senior management believes in operating the organization with for-profit principles. Staff turnover is very, very high and for good reason. Staff computers are seriously out-of-date. Web site is not updated on a regular basis because senior management doesn't consider it a priority. Some high level staff are not good fits for their position and it is hurting the organization as a whole. The organzation doesn't really care about its employees.

Be more trusting of your staff.

A lot of talk, a lot of work, but ...

I worked at CFY

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, as long as you are also willing to roll-up your sleeves when needed. Very enthusiastic program teams, as well as high enthusiasm among some of the top people who have high wages.

Cons

Very, very bad management practices; the translation of the mission into programs and strategies change constantly making it impossible to actually benefit the students. Stay away from the HR personnel who has no manners, people skills, or actual HRD knowledge. High employee turnover.

Don't ask employees to post good reviews ...

Amazing place to work

I worked at CFY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work environment is fast-paced and energetic. The people are extremely smart and passionate about the mission and communities served (a rare combination in my experience). New ideas are perspectives are definitely encouraged, and everyone genuinely cares about each other not just as professionals but as people (also very rare).

Cons

Some challenges with technology needs that will be addressed in the coming months. Communication across the regions was also challenging but steady improvement is taking place.

Smart, motivated people make CFY a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CFY full-time

Pros

-Really smart people work here.
    -People authentically care about the families, teachers, and students we serve.
    -People also care about each other and support each other. I feel validated as a human being by my supervisor and colleagues.
    -Employees are generally happy.
    -It doesn't feel like a "clock-in, clock-out" place. People work hard, but there is flexibility about how and when you get your work done.
    -The organization has high expectations for staff.
    -Constructive feedback is always listened to and considered.

Cons

-CFY is in a period of normalization after the end of a major federal stimulus grant.
    -Resources are an ongoing challenge (but aren't they always a challenge in nonprofits?)

Positive team culture with opportunities for professional development

I worked at CFY for more than 3 years

Pros

- working alongside passionate and smart individuals who feel strongly about the mission of the organization
    - positive work environment that encourages feedback
    - opportunities to collaborate with other teams and expand knowledge
    - management is always available and open to ideas
    - love what you do

Cons

Because this is a non-profit, there is always the question of stability or the risk of positions being eliminated.

Top down approach

Former Employee - Development Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Development Associate in New York, NY

I worked at CFY full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff is friendly and supportive. Great office location, especially from commuters. Organization has an interesting goal and is trying to remedy a huge challenge in US schools. They work in NYC, LA, Philadelphia, Atlanta, and San Francisco. National presence with a local feeling.

Cons

The leadership is too hands on and doesn't allow staff to take action without their direct involvement. This seems to happen because the CEO is the founder and is still working as if the organization was still small and local only. It tends to hinder growth and leads to frustration among the staff.

Let your team try new things and explore opportunities without you.

Awful.

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at CFY full-time for more than a year

Pros

Co-workers were amazing, intelligent, driven peers.

Cons

The management was horrid in Los Angeles. The top manages were vindictive and the company culture is toxic. I've never seen such high turnover rates in an organization. Management is not to be trusted and scapegoats the "lower rung" staff. Even for program managers the work is repetitive and dull. Program managers aren't trusted, and are asked to defend every issue at a weekend workshop to upper management when they return to work the next week.

Worked for CFY? Contribute to the Community!