CFY Reviews

22 reviews filtered by
3.3
Elisabeth Stock

Great place to work

I have been working at CFY full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been at CFY for more than a year, and I have been really impressed by the leadership and mission of what seems like a pretty unique nonprofit. People here are really motivated by helping kids in poor communities succeed. There is a real commitment to making sure that employees have all of the tools they need, and the president himself has been taking the lead on getting technology and office upgrades that make our work easier and in organizing the teams in the right way. Positive culture with no gosspi and no backbiting.

Cons

It is a fast-paced environment. I have had to work late a few times but that's been ok by me. Ddon't join if you only want a strict 9-5 opportuntiy.

Advice to Management

Keep talking to the team about the why of what we're doing.

2. Okay Place to Make A Little On the Side

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at CFY part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Never had to pay for lunch; pizza was provided.
    Co-workers were really good people.
    Would give us extra hours to work in the warehouse or main office in Manhattan.

Cons

Administration people(red shirts) would joke on the CSRs (orange) shirts while they worked.
    Fire all the good folks. Work became a drag.

Advice to Management

Show CSRs more respect. Stop firing administrators that care.

Unstable

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New York, NY

I worked at CFY part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great mission, convenient location in the heart of midtown, lots of team bonding and somewhat relaxed office environment.

Cons

Probably part and parcel of working in non profits, but while I was there every six months there were layoffs and cutbacks due to lack of funding. Although I felt a valued member within my team, employees in other departments were standoffish and exclusionary.

Really good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at CFY (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked at CFY for more than a year, and this has been one of the most positive experiences of my career. The organization's programs are making a real difference for our partner schools and the staff are positively motivates and great to work with. Seeing the recent review that is so extreme and negative, I am not sure what that person is reacting to because the management in my experience is supportive, engaged, effective. Colleagues here are some of the best I've seen.

Cons

I wish we could have more cross-office visits in our different regions so we could do more in-person meetings with people from different regions. That would help us get to know each other better.

Advice to Management

Keep raising money and talking up CFY's work and impact! We have some great ideas that are ready to be spread.

6. Not recommended

I worked at CFY full-time

Pros

Most of the mid and ground-level staff is highly committed and believes in the organization's stated mission. Location is convenient but there are no parks or green spaces any where near the office.

Cons

Senior level management is far too hands-on and impedes the work of the staff. Senior management believes in operating the organization with for-profit principles. Staff turnover is very, very high and for good reason. Staff computers are seriously out-of-date. Web site is not updated on a regular basis because senior management doesn't consider it a priority. Some high level staff are not good fits for their position and it is hurting the organization as a whole. The organzation doesn't really care about its employees.

Advice to Management

Be more trusting of your staff.

Iffy nonprofit with bad management and flaky future

I worked at CFY full-time

Pros

Excellent coworkers on the ground level - very motivated and attached to the mission. There was a great work-life balance and not that much pressure to "act" like a business at first (this turned for the worse). I felt as though I was making great impacts in the communities I served and gained some valuable skills.

Cons

Management is WAY too hands on. Nepotism was throughout the organization and it was very apparent when it came to promotions (too some not qualified people) - this resulted in lackluster funding and ultimately layoffs. The typical, run-of-the-mill nonprofit with grandiose dreams of making impact but terrible HR and organizational practices which will hinder it from ultimately achieving its goals. Not surprising.

A lot of talk, a lot of work, but ...

I worked at CFY

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, as long as you are also willing to roll-up your sleeves when needed. Very enthusiastic program teams, as well as high enthusiasm among some of the top people who have high wages.

Cons

Very, very bad management practices; the translation of the mission into programs and strategies change constantly making it impossible to actually benefit the students. Stay away from the HR personnel who has no manners, people skills, or actual HRD knowledge. High employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Don't ask employees to post good reviews ...

Amazing place to work

I worked at CFY full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work environment is fast-paced and energetic. The people are extremely smart and passionate about the mission and communities served (a rare combination in my experience). New ideas are perspectives are definitely encouraged, and everyone genuinely cares about each other not just as professionals but as people (also very rare).

Cons

Some challenges with technology needs that will be addressed in the coming months. Communication across the regions was also challenging but steady improvement is taking place.

Positive team culture with opportunities for professional development

I worked at CFY (more than 3 years)

Pros

- working alongside passionate and smart individuals who feel strongly about the mission of the organization
    - positive work environment that encourages feedback
    - opportunities to collaborate with other teams and expand knowledge
    - management is always available and open to ideas
    - love what you do

Cons

Because this is a non-profit, there is always the question of stability or the risk of positions being eliminated.

Smart, motivated people make CFY a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at CFY full-time

Pros

-Really smart people work here.
    -People authentically care about the families, teachers, and students we serve.
    -People also care about each other and support each other. I feel validated as a human being by my supervisor and colleagues.
    -Employees are generally happy.
    -It doesn't feel like a "clock-in, clock-out" place. People work hard, but there is flexibility about how and when you get your work done.
    -The organization has high expectations for staff.
    -Constructive feedback is always listened to and considered.

Cons

-CFY is in a period of normalization after the end of a major federal stimulus grant.
    -Resources are an ongoing challenge (but aren't they always a challenge in nonprofits?)