CGI

CGI Reviews in Arlington, VA

3.6

CGI President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach
Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good (in 146 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Excellet company to work for

Current Employee - Systems Architect in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Architect in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Colleagues are largely friendly and helpful. Some program managers could be unhelpful as far as dealing with the clients go.

Cons

Company took a PR hit because of the ACA website fiasco.

More support for employees who are working for Government clients

CGI Is A Dysfunctional, Blended Family

Current Employee - Multimedia Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Multimedia Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a very stable company. With so many markets and regions under its divisions, CGI can provide the option of transfers in your immediate area or around the country. For those with varied IT interests, you have many options here.

Also, CGI provides the benefits that employees who've worked in the professional corporate environment are used to: health care, life crisis solutions (free counseling, adoption support) and internal professional mentoring (if you're not on one of the contracts).

Cons

CGI has doubled in size since it acquired my former company 4 years ago through subsequent mergers.

If you work on a contract in the federal side of the business, you will feel like a stepchild. I work on one of the most high-profile defense projects and we've had 4 Program Managers i just over 2 years. Only one stayed close to a year. But the turnover is seen throughout our office. There is zero harmony or morale among our ranks. And ideas to revitalize our respective departments are often overlooked.

Invest in leadership! Bring people who are motivated to drive the passion of the business. There's no camaraderie, and therefore no collective incentive to persevere.

Turnover at the top is one of the most counteractive forces in the work environment.

Good for New College Grads but gets stale after a while

Current Employee - IT Consultant Business Analyst in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant Business Analyst in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot in short amount of time
    Work on Client Site DC Area
    Project delivery and SDLC insight
    Team Oriented
    Good Work life balance

Cons

Cliques within Project
    Learn on your own
    No Structured training for new hires
    Lousy Raises
    Office Politics

Help new hires with on boarding better and have transparency in career path.

Overall a good company -but not the right fit for everyone.

Former Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Great teammates. Provided with the opportunity to gain a lot of responsibility. Training was encouraged.

Cons

Assessment process is too subjective and disorganized. Found it difficult to move between projects. Difficult to get promoted - no standard criteria to meet.

The company needs to feel more cohesive - it felt very disjointed and each project operated differently based on the project manager.

learn a lot but no incentive to stay

Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CGI

Pros

young, learn alot and a good amount of vacation days. The enironment is fun and crossfunctional. There are also options to move across projects easily.

Cons

not much compensation and hard to move up. Managers don't listen to training requests and don't mind piling on work.

listen to employees more. have more reviews and make sure to progress employees careers by teaching them and having one on one time with them.