CGI Communications Reviews

Updated March 20, 2015
58 reviews filtered by
4.3
Bob Bartosiewicz

Pros
  • The work environment is challenging (which I like) and fun (in 7 reviews)

• It's a great place to work where the employees respect each other and help each other grow (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Great sales associates continually walk out the door because they have female sales executives who are just the worst people to work with (in 4 reviews)

• There is a great deal of travel involved which ranges anywhere from 25%-50% of the month for sales executives (in 3 reviews)

1. Great Company!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at CGI Communications

Pros

The people here are what makes the company so great to work for. You have management who really care about their employees. You will make friends for life and develop skills to help you become a better professional.

Cons

Can't say many. As with any job, you get what you put into it! If you put your trust and confidence with CGI, they will always go to bat for you!

Good place to learn if you're in the right department.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a ton
    Young, fun co-workers
    Experience dealing with difficult clients
    They listen to good ideas

Cons

Pressure to perform
    Awful pay
    Little room for growth

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

3. Executive

I worked at CGI Communications

Pros

I loved the Travel, people, vps, short Fridays the entertainment between assOCIATES aND executives. they hire gorgeous people aND you can't help but get sucked into the drama. Such a fun life.

Cons

It was tough tk take the stressful yet entertaining environment. The spastic And sometimes over the top management style can be rought as well.

Advice to Management

More Cruises

5. Incredible company!

I have been working at CGI Communications

Pros

This is my first job out of college and I have been here for almost 8 years now! Everyone says they want to work for a "growing company with room for upward mobility" and that explains CGI perfectly. The opportunities that I have to travel, create relationships with top City and County government officials nationwide and also work with incredibly talented and creative staff makes coming to work everyday exciting. I highly recommend CGI to anyone looking for a serious career AND also wants to enjoy going to work everyday!

Cons

I am extremely happy with CGI and do not have any cons.

6. Best move I've ever made...

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was 5+ years ago I got into a U-Haul and drove to Rochester, NY for a new job at CGI Communications. I didn't know anyone and this was my first time living in upstate NY. Needless to say the welcome was warm and the climate in the spring, summer and fall perfect! CGI has always provided a non-corporate feel in an otherwise corporate saturated job market. This coming from someone whose had previous work experience in other professional fields and markets. The principles of the founder are based on work ethic and effort. If you have both of those qualities instilled in your DNA somewhere, you'll do just fine. I've never wanted things handed to me on a silver platter, reason being, I understand how important graciousness and humility really are when working with a diverse group of people. CGI prides itself on providing opportunities for anyone and everyone, some traditional and some not traditional, thus allowing for a flourishing, energetic environment. Build your path at CGI and CGI will make sure you achieve your goals. From the training, to the hands on coaching with any position, CGI has helped educate and train hundreds if not thousands of new, fresh out of college men and women understand and cope with the difficulties of the everyday working world. For many this is their first job, lack of perspective can be a hindrance, this isn't always the case. When you begin to see your goals and visions manifest at CGI it's a priceless feeling that is hard to describe. The best word to describe this feeling would be fulfilling, this just begins to scratch the surface of my past 5+ years at CGI. On top of what they do for their employees, CGI's community outreach locally and nationally is palpable. Volunteering at shelters, raising money for natural catastrophes, producing high quality video content for thousands of cities, counties and chambers at no cost, helping bring smiles to children through the Toys for Tots holiday drive to name a few, the kindness and genuine heart at CGI is solid and strong.

Cons

Sometimes hiring new college graduates with a lack of business acumen or professional perspective can create unintended consequences. Keep in mind it's usually just a matter of time and training.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, it's only gotten more fun, year over year.

7. Great place to work out of college!

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company is always growing and looking for young adults just out of college. Sales teams get and Production videographers get to travel around the country. High potential to advance quickly.

Cons

Pay is low at first, really need to show your worth to get ahead but that's a nice challenge and goal to set for yourself!

Advice to Management

Make sure you work to keep employees motivated and satisfied with what they're doing and know where they want to be a year or two from now within the company.

8. Sales Executive

Current Employee - Sales Associate Team Leader in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate Team Leader in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Reinventing the company is an ongoing way of life at CGI!Ive been here for over a 5 years and have truly been amazed at how stable management and the sales team is as compared to other companies ive worked with in the past.Financially strong company that must have past out over 300k or more in christmas bonuses alone this quarter!!!Free parking,free lunches,401k matches,free coffee..you get the picture!

Cons

Straight talking your employees in front of other people can be unnerving!I get the honesty and transparency part of the company;however, do it in an office!

Advice to Management

Stop hiring recent college graduates!!!!Hire people that have been out in the work force for 3 years that know what its like working at a crappy company that doesnt give bonuses,that doesnt train their employees.DONT REHIRE THESE IDIOTS WHEN THEY BEG TO COMEBACK EITHER!!!!! If those goofballs are fools to leave 70 to 80k base salary jobs because their "work life balance" is not perfect;who cares!! get over it!

9. Great place to start, grow and continue a career.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started at CGI when I was 21 years old, and fresh out of college, as an entry-level sales position. Now, two and a half years later, I am a top-10 sales producer at CGI. At this company, the management and your co-workers want to see you succeed. The training here is like no other. The opportunity and room for growth continues to expand with new product lines, new divisions, and new positions constantly. Our CEO considers himself as an employee of the company, too, and wants to see you be able to pay off your student loans and buy your first house here (which I am able to do at just 24). The atmosphere at CGI is something you do not find at other companies. I have made friends here that I now consider like family. We are a young, eager group who works hard but also has a good time doing it. I've seen some of the negative reviews posted on our company below and it shows the bitter, ex-(and-still-unemployed)-employees that didn't want to make an effort at all in their career. You are set up for success at CGI, and I know if I was in another company at this age, I would not have the opportunities that I have seen these past few years.

Cons

With any sales job, comes stress. If you put the work and effort in, this will be more rare. If you are looking to coast with minimal; activity, your stress level will build.

10. CGI Career

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible when comes to work schedule, 401k match, paid parking, great environment, great pay. GREAT PEOPLE.

Cons

All companies have cons but the difference I have noticed here is that CGI is always adapting and improving year to year.

Advice to Management

I have noticed some highly unreliable reviews on here, meaning I feel that these resentful ex employees really are just looking to bash someone else because they don't have the proper attitude to succeed ANYWHERE!
    My name is Eric Winegard and have worked at CGI for almost 8 years now. I have been a sales associate, sales executive, sales manager, and for the last two years a vice president, if you want to hear someone who has been through it all and want an accurate portrayal of the workplace here, call my cell, 585 317 2753, best of luck!

Below Average Company

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free parking, I guess, but not much more.

Cons

I worked at this company for around 3 years. I would not recommend it. The pay is very low. I find it funny that a VP would write a review saying it's a company that pays well, while so many employees have to work 2 jobs. This shows the disconnect between the higher ups in the company and the people at the bottom. If you speak to most current or former employees, they will confirm this.

Also, notice the dates of the most recent reviews. This company just can't handle criticism, which is why it's not a coincidence that 3 positive reviews popped up in a 2 day span. Put 2 and 2 together.

"Where there is smoke, there is fire". This applies here. Many people have had bad experiences at this company where the "leaders" have really rubbed them the wrong way. Again, this isn't the "vocal minority". This is reality. If you consider "leadership" as belittling your employees multiple times per year and hostile, threatening meetings on a weekly basis, then this is most certainly your work environment.

Advice to Management

The "leadership" at this company is so disconnected, it seems like there is no hope.

CGI Communications Photos