CGI Communications

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014
4.2

Bob Bartosiewicz

Opportunity and room for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked here for over many years and have been given leeway to move into whatever department or position I want- it's all a matter of good attitude and high performance. Management is understanding of health and/or family issues and is quick to encourage whatever you need.

Cons

Management sometimes goes on tangents that may or may not be related to the topic they're ranting about; the consensus is to let it go in one ear and out the other as the feeling will most likely change in short order.

Realize that while sales is an important driver of any company, that shouldn't be to the detriment of other employees.

Going WAY Downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice building in a great location downtown.
    Co-workers were nice

Cons

After working for CGI and elsewhere, CGI reminds me of a "minor league" company. Things have a way of feeling amateurish here. First of all, the pay is comically low. If you aren't a sales executive, you will get paid at practically poverty wages when hired. It's sad when a fairly large chunk of full time employees need to work a second job just to get by. The company generally hires kids in their 20's straight out of college so they can justify paying them that low.

It's a very cut throat culture. Hit your numbers or else. Your job will be threatened. Unless you are a sales executive, you will very likely be completely ignored. The CEO/VP's only care about them. The leadership gets called out on this frequently, but they don't care.

You're expected to work beyond 5 every single day. Despite putting in a hard 8 hour day, if you walk out the door at 5 you will be seen as a slacker and they will hold it against you.

The benefits really leave a lot to be desired. You need to work 1 year before you even get 1 week of vacation. My current company gave me 2 weeks on the date of hire. Not to mention their health care plans are abysmal and insanely expensive every month. Almost every person I know (I've asked) has not only better coverage, but pay a lower premium.

It's really not a quality company to work for. The favoritism is out of control and it's simply a pit stop on the way to something bigger and better.

And finally, the majority of reviews on here are fake. The company actively solicits its employees to write positive reviews here in exchange for a few bucks or to get out early on a Friday afternoon. I've seen and heard it multiple times. So take anything you read here with a giant grain of salt.

Treat all employees equally. Don't play favoritism like you do. It's incredibly unprofessional. Try paying all employees a livable wage so they don't have to work second jobs.

Great first job out of college!

Former Employee - Sales Associate Team Leader
    Former Employee - Sales Associate Team Leader

I worked at CGI Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a fun environment and everyone is very young. There are always things to do outside of the office with co-workers. You will make friends for life at this company. There was always someone to turn to when I needed help. My manager was amazing and I will commend her for the job she did. I stuck around for the fact that I worked for someone like her. Management is wonderful, Vice Presidents are seriously just a few steps away from you and more than reachable. The CEO Bob is a riot, yes a little crazy some times but even he is approachable. He knew me on a first name basis. But if you're doing well he will learn your name. How many companies can say that their CEO knows who they are?

Cons

There are certain executives you do NOT want to be setting for as a Sales Associate. If you do set for them and mess up at all the entire company will hear about it. You do sit in a cube all day smile and dialing. When I first started the company was light hearted and it was fun, but in recent months morale changed and the vibe of the company has gone in a different direction and that is ultimately why I left. If you didn't want to become an executive in a sense, there was no room for growth for you!

Get your executives to learn how to COMMUNICATE. The word communication is in the name of the company. You would have happier associates which would in turn boost morale.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional Sports/Sales Team

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can go from making 30k to 50k overnight. You then go go from making 50k to 100k...I did it. CGI is esssentialy a startup company. It has divisions that startup overnight and can really turn your career dreams into reality.

Cons

It is not easy. You need to work hard. Harder than college. You will be demanded to hustle, and get paid for doing so. People get after it. It is not what you see on TV. It is stressful, but your days will FLY by. You will wish you had more time to complete things.

Make room.

Fun, Youthful Marketing/Sales Environment

Current Employee - Marketing Associate  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Room for quick growth within this small private business. Able to travel and be autonomous in any role. Great location and perks like parking discounts.

Cons

Need to hit quotas to ensure job security. You will succeed in this company if you are good under pressure and tight deadlines and good at sales.

Great company, incredible growth potential

Current Employee - Sales Associate Team Leader  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate Team Leader in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

The employee training received at CGI is beyond what almost any company is willing to invest in their employees these days. I've worked for 4 other companies and have not seen a more team-driven environment that genuinely wants its employees to succeed. Hard work and initiative do not go unnoticed. Management is extremely accessible from the CEO and Presidents down to individual team leaders providing a true open-door policy to all employees.

Cons

It can be a high-pressure environment due to the competitive nature of the sales teams. People who cannot manage their time effectively may struggle.

Great place to work!!

Current Employee - Production  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Production in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been with the company for over 7 years and have to say it has been an awesome experience! If you're a hard worker & want to grow with this company the opportunity is there.
    The CEO really cares about his employees and the company is now offering 401k matching, free parking, full health benefits with dental and vision, employee appreciation day once a month & room to grow within our organization.
    This company has come a long way since I started 7 years ago.
    When I read the hate reviews it makes me laugh because they are so not true!!! The stuff they wrote makes it so obvious that they left the company over 4 years ago & are living in the past. There are no football players, Bob our CEO totally cares about the video production department and is always on the floor with his production teams sharing & create ideas together.
    He does not steal employees lunches (that's just a ridiculous lie!) the man is very generous with his employees buying our entire company lunch once a month, taking our entire company to bowling night, our annual summer picnic, our annual Christmas party, free tickets to the Ugly disco, free Jim Kelly's Hope for Hunter annual Gala and much much more!! Bob rewards employees for their loyalty to his company if you are a hard working loyal employee.
    It's a great place to work where the employees respect each other and help each other grow. Every department understands the true meaning of team work.

Cons

No complaints from me. The company is growing fast, it's a very exciting time to be here!

Keep doing what you're doing. It's so exciting being part of this company and watching the management team grow & improve through the years.

In three words the company is "bomb dot com". If you have a passion for building relationships this is the place for you

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Travel the country, work with the most influential political & business leaders in an area, great pay, great work environment, great people.

Cons

Catching flights and waking up at the ass crack of dawn not the most appealing, all in all the traveling can be tiring.

Buy the Buffalo Bills and a bring an NFL championship to Upstate New York

Free parking, room for advancement in the company!

I have been working at CGI Communications

Pros

I used to work at Nixon Peabody, a law firm just down the street from CGI Communications. Parking at Nixon was $120 a month for me, at CGI parking is free! Paying for parking each month would really add up over time, at CGI this is something I simply do not have to think about!
    CGI offers opportunities for even entry level employees to participate in the company's campaigns and create commercials that appear on local television. I do not know many companies that provide these types of opportunities, especially in Rochester. Those that have participated in these commercials/campaigns now have great portfolio pieces, and beneficial experience for those who want to work in the production industry!

Cons

Like most companies, you need to go above and beyond, put in the time and hard work to advance. If you put in the numbers and consistent hard work, your efforts will be recognized/pay off!

Great place to start a career. Love this place and the people.

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with the company for a year and a half. Was with another sales company before and worked in management before in the food industry. Anyone that says bad things about this place is confusing to me. They will hire you straight out of college. The amount of opportunity is endless and the people here are amazing top to bottom. It is a young company that works hard and plays hard. Everyone is welcoming, many different types of positions (if you are not a sales person their are still many opportunities), the management staff is clear with expectations. The CEO is the man, company parties, cruises, lunches, staff appreciation days. They reward hard work and drive. I can keep going for days on this. I was hired at this place and they gave me an opportunity to move up in 7 months. I do not know many companies in the country that will give you an opportunity to due so. Can't say a bad thing about this place.

Cons

None. People that do not make it in this place is because they are not mentally strong individuals. Literally talking to people on the phone is the most difficult part of this job. They train you to be good at it, all it takes is effort and you can be successful here. You work hard you get rewarded. Tough concept I know but it holds strong here.

Keep being the awesome, you guys do a great job. Appreciate everything you have done for me and my friends and co-workers here. I heard bad things before I was hired here and I can legitimately say that nothing that I was told was remotely true. Thank you!!

Worked for CGI Communications? Contribute to the Community!