CGI Communications

4.2

Bob Bartosiewicz

Professional Sports/Sales Team

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can go from making 30k to 50k overnight. You then go go from making 50k to 100k...I did it. CGI is esssentialy a startup company. It has divisions that startup overnight and can really turn your career dreams into reality.

Cons

It is not easy. You need to work hard. Harder than college. You will be demanded to hustle, and get paid for doing so. People get after it. It is not what you see on TV. It is stressful, but your days will FLY by. You will wish you had more time to complete things.

Make room.

Great company, incredible growth potential

Current Employee - Sales Associate Team Leader in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate Team Leader in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The employee training received at CGI is beyond what almost any company is willing to invest in their employees these days. I've worked for 4 other companies and have not seen a more team-driven environment that genuinely wants its employees to succeed. Hard work and initiative do not go unnoticed. Management is extremely accessible from the CEO and Presidents down to individual team leaders providing a true open-door policy to all employees.

Cons

It can be a high-pressure environment due to the competitive nature of the sales teams. People who cannot manage their time effectively may struggle.

Great place to work!!

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with the company for over 7 years and have to say it has been an awesome experience! If you're a hard worker & want to grow with this company the opportunity is there.
    The CEO really cares about his employees and the company is now offering 401k matching, free parking, full health benefits with dental and vision, employee appreciation day once a month & room to grow within our organization.
    This company has come a long way since I started 7 years ago.
    When I read the hate reviews it makes me laugh because they are so not true!!! The stuff they wrote makes it so obvious that they left the company over 4 years ago & are living in the past. There are no football players, Bob our CEO totally cares about the video production department and is always on the floor with his production teams sharing & create ideas together.
    He does not steal employees lunches (that's just a ridiculous lie!) the man is very generous with his employees buying our entire company lunch once a month, taking our entire company to bowling night, our annual summer picnic, our annual Christmas party, free tickets to the Ugly disco, free Jim Kelly's Hope for Hunter annual Gala and much much more!! Bob rewards employees for their loyalty to his company if you are a hard working loyal employee.
    It's a great place to work where the employees respect each other and help each other grow. Every department understands the true meaning of team work.

Cons

No complaints from me. The company is growing fast, it's a very exciting time to be here!

Keep doing what you're doing. It's so exciting being part of this company and watching the management team grow & improve through the years.

In three words the company is "bomb dot com". If you have a passion for building relationships this is the place for you

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel the country, work with the most influential political & business leaders in an area, great pay, great work environment, great people.

Cons

Catching flights and waking up at the ass crack of dawn not the most appealing, all in all the traveling can be tiring.

Buy the Buffalo Bills and a bring an NFL championship to Upstate New York

Great place to start a career. Love this place and the people.

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been with the company for a year and a half. Was with another sales company before and worked in management before in the food industry. Anyone that says bad things about this place is confusing to me. They will hire you straight out of college. The amount of opportunity is endless and the people here are amazing top to bottom. It is a young company that works hard and plays hard. Everyone is welcoming, many different types of positions (if you are not a sales person their are still many opportunities), the management staff is clear with expectations. The CEO is the man, company parties, cruises, lunches, staff appreciation days. They reward hard work and drive. I can keep going for days on this. I was hired at this place and they gave me an opportunity to move up in 7 months. I do not know many companies in the country that will give you an opportunity to due so. Can't say a bad thing about this place.

Cons

None. People that do not make it in this place is because they are not mentally strong individuals. Literally talking to people on the phone is the most difficult part of this job. They train you to be good at it, all it takes is effort and you can be successful here. You work hard you get rewarded. Tough concept I know but it holds strong here.

Keep being the awesome, you guys do a great job. Appreciate everything you have done for me and my friends and co-workers here. I heard bad things before I was hired here and I can legitimately say that nothing that I was told was remotely true. Thank you!!

Great company!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great leadership , promotions and advancement opportunities.

Cons

Can't think of any at this time.

I have worked at CGI for over 10 years. This is truly a great growing company that promotes from within. You get out what you put in. I couldn't imagine working at another company.

CGI is a great entry level company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, culture and leadership

Cons

Salary starts off on the low end

Company will find a place for you if you're dedicated enough

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has really grown in the 6 years I've been here. This was my first job out of college and I was hired in sales. It was quickly discovered that I was not cut out to be in sales, but one of the vice presidents recognized my determination enough to put in the good word for me to find a spot I could be utilized. The thing that single-handedly saved me from termination was his belief that I could fit in doing something good for the company. I was given the chance to work for the production department, and then after proving myself in that role for more than a year, built a solid relationship with the upper management and was brought in on many other projects. Being in production has had some solid advantages; discounted parking, extra paid time off during the holidays, a sense of companionship amongst others in the department, and sincere transparency from the CEO whether we're doing well or if we need to pick up the pace. Plus the "creative types" really mesh well together around here as personnel has become more and more refined. I've been with the company long enough to know that the powers that be will have my back if I truly need something. Plus, there's an overwhelming sense of enjoyment that springs out of the quarterly gatherings and appreciation days. The evolution of "free pizza Wednesday" into "giant party every quarter + employee appreciation day at the end of every month, please enjoy dressing casually" has had quite the impact on the attitude amongst the ranks. People look forward to these events, where the luster of free pizza kind of wore off after a few weeks. As I stated when I opened this section, the company has evolved over the years that I've been here, and the rate of evolution is increasing as the staff matures and finds its footing. From simple things like random free ice cream distributed by some zany vice presidents or just having seasonal coffees distributed for the K-cup machines on every floor (which is another thing none of the young people realize-- coffee is free here and that is by no means a standard for the workplace) to the more extravagant bonuses, like getting summer hours that let us out by 2pm on Fridays or finding out in October that our department doesn't need to be here to earn our paycheck for the week between Christmas and New Year's Day there are some very elaborate benefits that come from working at CGi, and they powers that be are improving their methodology and their tactics as they approach a more refined clarity with each cut. The best feeling swirling around all of this is the fact that more and more people have witnessed this transformation and are optimistic about their futures with the company. People are seeing the rewards of hard work, and perpetuating a can-do attitude with the hopes of getting noticed and having their dedication recognized. Those who have goals for their role with the company are waiting patiently until the position they want opens up, and the atmosphere is less "sales vs. production" and more "company as a whole" than it's ever been.

Cons

The biggest hurdle for CGI is ensuring that there is a universal understanding within each department of what the rest of the company is doing. Communicating a standardization in some form of clear, written, detail before a policy is set into motion will go a long way; and the simplest sense of context is often lost with incoming (and existing) employees. The trickiest thing for me to piece together was how the symbiotic relationship of the departments functioned to create the company as a whole. Many people do not always immediately realize their role in the company, and with such fast-paced product lines it's not always abundantly clear, especially with how processes can change over time. This makes it so that sometimes even those who have been with the company for a long tenure can miss important changes. It's frustrating more than it is detrimental, but it is by no means condemning. An overall structure that can be rigidly maintained would unite the company in ways that would improve morale and productivity tenfold. The biggest deterrent is how little some (relatively high up) people have learned in their time with the company, but even more perplexing is how many others beneath them have mastered the responsibilities for no reason other than to be a more well-rounded employee. Opportunities for advancement are ever-present, and I am certainly not the only example of someone who's bounced around to find a happy home, but in the past there has been a very slow-burn for salary adjustments in some very crucial positions. It is true that young professionals always seek immediate gratification and need to learn patience, but sometimes the wait can be a grind and I've seen good employees in the final stages of decay waiting for some honest recognition. I feel as though I have too many friends still living with their parents or renting apartments when they should be entering the happy years of paying off loans and investing in mortgages. Where CGI excels at rewarding innovative workhorses and sales-machines, it could apply some of that mentality to rewarding the dedicated foot-soldiers that keep the gears spinning smoothly.

As stated above, the company has made tremendous strides in the short time that I've worked here. I've certainly grown as a person and as an employee seeking a stable career that can accommodate my life's goals. Which is where my two cents comes from; I feel like understanding everyone's goals would improve the relationship between upper management and the staff. Obviously, no one is (or rather they shouldn't be) expecting handouts be given, but if the upper management truly understood where each of the employees were and where they want to wind up, and by when, better feedback could be given regarding performance to help achieve those goals. I've had outstanding opportunities with my time at the company and now I want the same for my staff. The fundamental difference is, where I feel as though some of my success was the result of "right place, right time" I'd like to see something more intentional reach the small cogs that turn this big machine that is CGI. I'm aware that it can be difficult to get to know everyone, as the thirst for expansion sometimes consumes a young professional before they've had ample opportunity to really grow in a position, but the greater the effort from the team "running the show" so to speak, is something I believe would go a long way in retention and quenching that thirst for more. The biggest disparity I see amongst the staff is that very few people are making the leap to evolve their life outside of work, and may not realize that the answer resides in evolving on the job. I suppose the thesis of this advice is: make sure you are approachable, and project genuine interest in helping your staff achieve their life-goals and maintaining a comfortable lifestyle. The benefits should be two-fold, happier employee/more productive company. Many of the employees in the non-commissioned roles (and probably a fair share of those receiving commission) are staring down the barrel of massive loans (six years later and mine are only marginally closer to dissipating) and they want to plant their feet and disarm that loaded gun. That's my goal. That's the goal of many people I know on my staff working hard to push through it. The foundation for all of this stems from a moment I had almost a year ago where I realized what fuels my dedication--everyone on the upper management knows me well enough to be genuinely happy for my success. Nothing could be more motivating than getting a hug from your CEO at the company Christmas party when he finds out you bought your first house. If every dedicated member of the company could somehow share that experience (and we're not far from achieving that the way things have been going) the company would explode in all the right ways. Basically my advice is to give every hard-working member of the staff the experience I've had with the company.

Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Producer in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Producer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced challenging environment, never get bored. Company cares about all of their employees. Owner/CEO Bob is very hands on within his organization and very approachable. You can set up a meeting with him anytime or just stop to talk to him if you see him in the hall. He listens to company concerns, is open to new ideas and really cares about his employees.
    It doesn't matter what department you are in.... Sales, Production, Next Ad Agency - we are all treated with respect.
    Have an employee appreciate lunch once a month. Have Monday morning meetings with our CEO to keep everyone involved in the growth of company & new things coming down the line. Company's pays for half our medical insurance and offers great plans for dental & vision and Have 401K. As a perk they pay for parking for the Production employees. Bob gave the Production Department the week of Christmas to New Years off. Had great summer hours this past year (we would be able to leave early on Fridays by working and extra couple hours on other days).
    Fun, Fast Paced environment with very intelligent creative people. I've been here over 5 years & love it!

Cons

Can't think of any right now

Profit sharing or match 401K

Great first job out of college experience

Current Employee - Marketing Associate
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is great with an open door policy. The environment is very exciting and you could easily walk into anyone in upper management's office with a problem or concern. You get lots of fun events that you can take part in. There are always contests and fun things to do.

Cons

Sales is a hard field and definitely is not cut out for everyone. If you are not prepared to work extremely hard and get some "no's" thrown at you then the job definitely is not for you. If you have a thick skin and think you can thrive in sales then you have nothing to worry about. There is a lot of room for advancement within the company.

CGI Communications Photos