CGI Communications

Updated January 15, 2015
Updated January 15, 2015
4.4

Bob Bartosiewicz

Pros
  • The work environment is challenging (which I like) and fun (in 7 reviews)

• It's a great place to work where the employees respect each other and help each other grow (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Great sales associates continually walk out the door because they have female sales executives who are just the worst people to work with (in 4 reviews)

• There is a great deal of travel involved which ranges anywhere from 25%-50% of the month for sales executives (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company!

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at CGI Communications

Pros

The people here are what makes the company so great to work for. You have management who really care about their employees. You will make friends for life and develop skills to help you become a better professional.

Cons

Can't say many. As with any job, you get what you put into it! If you put your trust and confidence with CGI, they will always go to bat for you!

Incredible company!

I have been working at CGI Communications

Pros

This is my first job out of college and I have been here for almost 8 years now! Everyone says they want to work for a "growing company with room for upward mobility" and that explains CGI perfectly. The opportunities that I have to travel, create relationships with top City and County government officials nationwide and also work with incredibly talented and creative staff makes coming to work everyday exciting. I highly recommend CGI to anyone looking for a serious career AND also wants to enjoy going to work everyday!

Cons

I am extremely happy with CGI and do not have any cons.

Best move I've ever made...

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was 5+ years ago I got into a U-Haul and drove to Rochester, NY for a new job at CGI Communications. I didn't know anyone and this was my first time living in upstate NY. Needless to say the welcome was warm and the climate in the spring, summer and fall perfect! CGI has always provided a non-corporate feel in an otherwise corporate saturated job market. This coming from someone whose had previous work experience in other professional fields and markets. The principles of the founder are based on work ethic and effort. If you have both of those qualities instilled in your DNA somewhere, you'll do just fine. I've never wanted things handed to me on a silver platter, reason being, I understand how important graciousness and humility really are when working with a diverse group of people. CGI prides itself on providing opportunities for anyone and everyone, some traditional and some not traditional, thus allowing for a flourishing, energetic environment. Build your path at CGI and CGI will make sure you achieve your goals. From the training, to the hands on coaching with any position, CGI has helped educate and train hundreds if not thousands of new, fresh out of college men and women understand and cope with the difficulties of the everyday working world. For many this is their first job, lack of perspective can be a hindrance, this isn't always the case. When you begin to see your goals and visions manifest at CGI it's a priceless feeling that is hard to describe. The best word to describe this feeling would be fulfilling, this just begins to scratch the surface of my past 5+ years at CGI. On top of what they do for their employees, CGI's community outreach locally and nationally is palpable. Volunteering at shelters, raising money for natural catastrophes, producing high quality video content for thousands of cities, counties and chambers at no cost, helping bring smiles to children through the Toys for Tots holiday drive to name a few, the kindness and genuine heart at CGI is solid and strong.

Cons

Sometimes hiring new college graduates with a lack of business acumen or professional perspective can create unintended consequences. Keep in mind it's usually just a matter of time and training.

Keep it up, it's only gotten more fun, year over year.

Great place to work out of college!

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company is always growing and looking for young adults just out of college. Sales teams get and Production videographers get to travel around the country. High potential to advance quickly.

Cons

Pay is low at first, really need to show your worth to get ahead but that's a nice challenge and goal to set for yourself!

Make sure you work to keep employees motivated and satisfied with what they're doing and know where they want to be a year or two from now within the company.

Sales Executive

Current Employee - Sales Associate Team Leader in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate Team Leader in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Reinventing the company is an ongoing way of life at CGI!Ive been here for over a 5 years and have truly been amazed at how stable management and the sales team is as compared to other companies ive worked with in the past.Financially strong company that must have past out over 300k or more in christmas bonuses alone this quarter!!!Free parking,free lunches,401k matches,free coffee..you get the picture!

Cons

Straight talking your employees in front of other people can be unnerving!I get the honesty and transparency part of the company;however, do it in an office!

Stop hiring recent college graduates!!!!Hire people that have been out in the work force for 3 years that know what its like working at a crappy company that doesnt give bonuses,that doesnt train their employees.DONT REHIRE THESE IDIOTS WHEN THEY BEG TO COMEBACK EITHER!!!!! If those goofballs are fools to leave 70 to 80k base salary jobs because their "work life balance" is not perfect;who cares!! get over it!

Below Average Company

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free parking, I guess, but not much more.

Cons

I worked at this company for around 3 years. I would not recommend it. The pay is very low. I find it funny that a VP would write a review saying it's a company that pays well, while so many employees have to work 2 jobs. This shows the disconnect between the higher ups in the company and the people at the bottom. If you speak to most current or former employees, they will confirm this.

Also, notice the dates of the most recent reviews. This company just can't handle criticism, which is why it's not a coincidence that 3 positive reviews popped up in a 2 day span. Put 2 and 2 together.

"Where there is smoke, there is fire". This applies here. Many people have had bad experiences at this company where the "leaders" have really rubbed them the wrong way. Again, this isn't the "vocal minority". This is reality. If you consider "leadership" as belittling your employees multiple times per year and hostile, threatening meetings on a weekly basis, then this is most certainly your work environment.

The "leadership" at this company is so disconnected, it seems like there is no hope.

Great place to start, grow and continue a career.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started at CGI when I was 21 years old, and fresh out of college, as an entry-level sales position. Now, two and a half years later, I am a top-10 sales producer at CGI. At this company, the management and your co-workers want to see you succeed. The training here is like no other. The opportunity and room for growth continues to expand with new product lines, new divisions, and new positions constantly. Our CEO considers himself as an employee of the company, too, and wants to see you be able to pay off your student loans and buy your first house here (which I am able to do at just 24). The atmosphere at CGI is something you do not find at other companies. I have made friends here that I now consider like family. We are a young, eager group who works hard but also has a good time doing it. I've seen some of the negative reviews posted on our company below and it shows the bitter, ex-(and-still-unemployed)-employees that didn't want to make an effort at all in their career. You are set up for success at CGI, and I know if I was in another company at this age, I would not have the opportunities that I have seen these past few years.

Cons

With any sales job, comes stress. If you put the work and effort in, this will be more rare. If you are looking to coast with minimal; activity, your stress level will build.

CGI Career

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible when comes to work schedule, 401k match, paid parking, great environment, great pay. GREAT PEOPLE.

Cons

All companies have cons but the difference I have noticed here is that CGI is always adapting and improving year to year.

I have noticed some highly unreliable reviews on here, meaning I feel that these resentful ex employees really are just looking to bash someone else because they don't have the proper attitude to succeed ANYWHERE!
    My name is Eric Winegard and have worked at CGI for almost 8 years now. I have been a sales associate, sales executive, sales manager, and for the last two years a vice president, if you want to hear someone who has been through it all and want an accurate portrayal of the workplace here, call my cell, 585 317 2753, best of luck!

Vocal minorities: Not the only opinion in existence.

Current Employee - Production in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Production in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many of the negative reviews are focusing on situations they've taken liberties with exaggerating, or in some cases just fabricating scenarios to further their bitterness. Positive feelings on the company do exist and do find their way here. If I'm being paid to write this, someone stole the check. If I was told to just write this or else, I was daydreaming because I didn't hear that request. Is it obvious that negative reviews are easier to come by than positive ones, because people are quick to voice their displeasure? That's just human nature. Do I acknowledge that it'd be nice if quality, non-bitter, current employees weighed in with actual experience and advice here? Absolutely. Is any company perfect? Probably not. There are expectations in every office and standards that employees will be expected to meet. Is CGI perfect? Objectively, no. Is it improving? Yes. Is it better than some of the reviews would have you believe? Also, yes. Speaking from the front lines, there is a very obvious effort going around the office to connect with employees, and maintain a positive environment-- whether it's the Christmas Bonuses that were recently announced, to the inclusion of satellite offices in the Employee Appreciation Day festivities once per month, CGI understands it's employees now more than ever. The general demographic of the employees is evolving. There is a stronger core of tenured staff that is moving into late 20's/early 30's "family" zones, and the company is adapting to the change. Time and reasoning goes into selecting people who will succeed in a given role-- of which the company has many and will work with you to find something you excel at, should your attitude be in the right place. Is everyone cut out for this company? No. The leadership has expectations and guidelines-- you meet them, follow them, and you will probably do well. If you don't, you will be worked with as long as the effort is there. This company isn't a class you can just show up to without studying and ace the test. There is a curve to survey, and skills to learn before acing your way through CGI. Can the culture be stressful? Of course it can, it's a company, there are bills to pay! Has there been a shift in where that stress gets directed in recent years? You bet. Just the same, when those stressful periods subside, there is a stronger bond amongst employees, and a belief that, "yup we can handle this" that emerges. I'd be doing a disservice to the staff if I didn't comment on how the vast majority of diligent people are overshadowed by a vocal minority. One (or several) of the reviews mention that CGI does online reputation in one division and is aware of how to bolster ratings. What those former employees fail to address is the reason CGI's reputation services are needed as much as they are is because bad juju travels like lightning. People are always ready and willing to complain on a hair trigger, but if you have a good experience, you're less likely to go out of your way to sing the praises. That's marketing 101, and probably something that the nay-saying former employees no-doubt missed and possibly contributed to their lack of success at CGI. The recent increase in 401K matching was a pleasant surprise. The better-than-ever quarterly events are always something to look forward to-- and there are even other side projects popping up from seasoned employees that take a creative and fun spin on the office via an intra office spoof talk show, done on their own time and released during appreciation day. I keep trying to explain to people, other companies don't. do. stuff. like. this. Obviously YouTube videos aren't a reason to choose a company to work for, but it makes for some light-hearted fun that certainly sets the tone for the office. I've witnessed a healthy crop of new employees (1 year or less) find a niche with others who share their passions, world views, and lifestyle. Have there been missteps at the company? Probably more than a few in it's nearly 30 year history-- but hyperbolizing select instances and twisting the context for the masses online serves no one but the scourged. If you want a clear picture of the company, demand a voice from the people who have been determined and struggled and maneuvered for 3 years or more and worked hard to hit a stride and contribute to the company in a unique way. Or call upon the fresh faces of people who are doing well, learning more, have had a professional epiphany already. If you base your opinion on the soap box of the jaded, you're not drawing an informed conclusion.

Cons

Based on my own comments above-- I would say that one of the most detrimental issues at CGI is that it is too nice. "How can that be!?" you wonder. CGI is very good about giving someone a second chance-- this is one of the largest benefits for the driven employees who need to find their place. But sometimes that practice can go to an extreme. A person gets a 3rd chance. A fourth. Or just fades into obscurity "under the radar", with no real goal or purpose set because they're just average and able to coast. Maybe there's no reason to have drive, or the employee could be a nice enough person bearing little interest in advancing. After spending too much time being overlooked for being pedestrian, but spared due to personality, a person may have the wrong idea about his or her performance and role. A toxic attitude can ferment, and a chasm can form between how an employee thinks he or she is performing and what CGI actually perceives in that person's value. That's not with every instance I'm sure, but certainly the demand for instant gratification and the belief of delivering exceeded expectations is compounded by the company avoiding confrontational interactions where it should be guiding, admonishing, or terminating. Regarding salaries, it is not a guaranteed process; you don't come in every day, do the same task as everyone else, and then get more money just for doing it longer than a peer. Tenure matters to a certain degree, but results and performance take a more commanding role in compensation. This is a policy that can be difficult to swallow if you want to just stay static in performance while advancing with salary. Loyalty goes a long way, and while yes, proving loyalty can only build with time, a solitary year is not exactly eons on the corporate timeline. These expectations of quickly built loyalty and annual "thanks for being here" raises are part of the reason for dissent over compensation, especially amongst various departments in commissioned vs. non-commissioned roles. There's always been some effort to fill in that void (free parking for non-commissioned employees, extra days off during the holidays, etc), but it hasn't always been as obvious, or as monetary, as it is now-- especially to people who've not witnessed the evolution of the company culture. As the culture progresses, the foresight to include/offer things like family values and more inclusive benefits that are attractive to seasoned professionals should be considered to retain and attract quality employees.

Continue to set positive examples for employees coming into the company during this transition and growth. The changes are effective. The employees who are performing and have seen the growth are noticing the effort and appreciate it. Don't let the people who've garnered too many chances spoil the momentum. Consider upper-management hosted performance reviews with every employee to give each person a goal beyond coasting--this will increase accountability and provide a forum to spell out shortcomings to complacent staff teetering on the edge of turning sour. Continue to fill that void in the compensation chasm. Accelerate the progressive treatment of seasoned professionals. All of these things will mix to improve the caliber employee riding the elevators, the scope of the products offered to clients, and the stature the company holds in the corporate community at large. Transparency is good with some things, but not necessary all the time and leads to speculation and counter-productivity. People will pick at the slightest imperfection until it is twisted and ruined-- don't let the dwindling vocal minority interrupt the progression of people who do their job and are (unfortunately) silently thankful for the opportunities. The less fuel on this flame, the sooner people can move on. Then the trolls online will only have fairy-tales from yesteryear to continue spouting their bitterness.

Community relations coordinator

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at CGI Communications (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great family environment.
    Good reach
    learned a lot
    travel opportunities

Cons

It's tough if you are not a contributor in sales
    not recognized in such an important role
    pay didn't reflect the impact

Listen to your teams and you'll keep the good employees

CGI Communications Photos