CGI Communications

Great company!

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great leadership , promotions and advancement opportunities.

Cons

Can't think of any at this time.

I have worked at CGI for over 10 years. This is truly a great growing company that promotes from within. You get out what you put in. I couldn't imagine working at another company.

Worst job I've ever had

I worked at CGI Communications

Pros

I really can't think of anything nice to stay about this place other than you get a few paid holidays here and there.

Cons

Ridiculous favoritism, unethical practices, horrible pay, sketchy managing staff. If you don't "drink the kool aid", they'll get rid of you. It's like everyone is brainwashed and nobody realizes what's really going on. They want recent college graduates, but stick you in the cubicle farm and you never get a chance to use your education. They certainly don't pay more if you have a degree, either. Please don't waste your time and energy like I did. They looked for any reason they could find to get rid of me because I refused to drink the kool aid like all their other minions. If you're a drunken, low-life, drug addict like most of the people there then you might fit right in. But if you actually have a brain in your skull and want something more than making cold calls all day, save your time and look elsewhere. If I could rate this place at zero stars, I would. There's not enough time in the day for me to say everything I want to say about this place.

I won't even get started with management...

CGI is a great entry level company to work for

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, culture and leadership

Cons

Salary starts off on the low end

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you're not in Sales, you're not a person.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're in Sales and making your numbers, you're a valued, encouraged individual.

Cons

Salespeople basically run the show here - not the clients, or the production folks who make everything possible. Sales routinely oversold products, and pressure was left on production to meet sales or be fired. Worse, most non-sales employees were extremely underpaid - barely above minimum wage. The company had many BBB complaints against them while I worked there.

But the real problem at CGI is the CEO. No amount of money would ever make me work with him again. He has a tendency to speak hurtfully and dismissively of certain types employees to the entire company. I could rarely finish projects, because he'll get excited about something, insists that you drop absolutely everything for it, and then get excited about something new next week. He seriously, honestly ate people's lunches - I witnessed him walk up to random low level employees, take something off their plate, eat it, and walk away. The CEO of this company also owned a minor league football team while I worked there. Instead of increasing player compensation, he hired any player who needed a side job to do "customer service" for CGI. The football players did nothing but goof off and annoy people trying to get work done - they were never disciplined for unprofessional behavior or lack of productivity. It was understood that the purpose of CGI was to make money to keep the football team running smoothly.

Associate position

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time

Pros

Great place to start your career. Company leadership is great, get to know them real well and takes good care of us.

Cons

The benefits are not all that great but getting better as the company grows.

Great Place To Work!

Current Employee - Producer  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Producer in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fast paced challenging environment, never get bored. Company cares about all of their employees. Owner/CEO Bob is very hands on within his organization and very approachable. You can set up a meeting with him anytime or just stop to talk to him if you see him in the hall. He listens to company concerns, is open to new ideas and really cares about his employees.
    It doesn't matter what department you are in.... Sales, Production, Next Ad Agency - we are all treated with respect.
    Have an employee appreciate lunch once a month. Have Monday morning meetings with our CEO to keep everyone involved in the growth of company & new things coming down the line. Company's pays for half our medical insurance and offers great plans for dental & vision and Have 401K. As a perk they pay for parking for the Production employees. Bob gave the Production Department the week of Christmas to New Years off. Had great summer hours this past year (we would be able to leave early on Fridays by working and extra couple hours on other days).
    Fun, Fast Paced environment with very intelligent creative people. I've been here over 5 years & love it!

Cons

Can't think of any right now

Profit sharing or match 401K

Company will find a place for you if you're dedicated enough

Current Employee - Production  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Production in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company has really grown in the 6 years I've been here. This was my first job out of college and I was hired in sales. It was quickly discovered that I was not cut out to be in sales, but one of the vice presidents recognized my determination enough to put in the good word for me to find a spot I could be utilized. The thing that single-handedly saved me from termination was his belief that I could fit in doing something good for the company. I was given the chance to work for the production department, and then after proving myself in that role for more than a year, built a solid relationship with the upper management and was brought in on many other projects. Being in production has had some solid advantages; discounted parking, extra paid time off during the holidays, a sense of companionship amongst others in the department, and sincere transparency from the CEO whether we're doing well or if we need to pick up the pace. Plus the "creative types" really mesh well together around here as personnel has become more and more refined. I've been with the company long enough to know that the powers that be will have my back if I truly need something. Plus, there's an overwhelming sense of enjoyment that springs out of the quarterly gatherings and appreciation days. The evolution of "free pizza Wednesday" into "giant party every quarter + employee appreciation day at the end of every month, please enjoy dressing casually" has had quite the impact on the attitude amongst the ranks. People look forward to these events, where the luster of free pizza kind of wore off after a few weeks. As I stated when I opened this section, the company has evolved over the years that I've been here, and the rate of evolution is increasing as the staff matures and finds its footing. From simple things like random free ice cream distributed by some zany vice presidents or just having seasonal coffees distributed for the K-cup machines on every floor (which is another thing none of the young people realize-- coffee is free here and that is by no means a standard for the workplace) to the more extravagant bonuses, like getting summer hours that let us out by 2pm on Fridays or finding out in October that our department doesn't need to be here to earn our paycheck for the week between Christmas and New Year's Day there are some very elaborate benefits that come from working at CGi, and they powers that be are improving their methodology and their tactics as they approach a more refined clarity with each cut. The best feeling swirling around all of this is the fact that more and more people have witnessed this transformation and are optimistic about their futures with the company. People are seeing the rewards of hard work, and perpetuating a can-do attitude with the hopes of getting noticed and having their dedication recognized. Those who have goals for their role with the company are waiting patiently until the position they want opens up, and the atmosphere is less "sales vs. production" and more "company as a whole" than it's ever been.

Cons

The biggest hurdle for CGI is ensuring that there is a universal understanding within each department of what the rest of the company is doing. Communicating a standardization in some form of clear, written, detail before a policy is set into motion will go a long way; and the simplest sense of context is often lost with incoming (and existing) employees. The trickiest thing for me to piece together was how the symbiotic relationship of the departments functioned to create the company as a whole. Many people do not always immediately realize their role in the company, and with such fast-paced product lines it's not always abundantly clear, especially with how processes can change over time. This makes it so that sometimes even those who have been with the company for a long tenure can miss important changes. It's frustrating more than it is detrimental, but it is by no means condemning. An overall structure that can be rigidly maintained would unite the company in ways that would improve morale and productivity tenfold. The biggest deterrent is how little some (relatively high up) people have learned in their time with the company, but even more perplexing is how many others beneath them have mastered the responsibilities for no reason other than to be a more well-rounded employee. Opportunities for advancement are ever-present, and I am certainly not the only example of someone who's bounced around to find a happy home, but in the past there has been a very slow-burn for salary adjustments in some very crucial positions. It is true that young professionals always seek immediate gratification and need to learn patience, but sometimes the wait can be a grind and I've seen good employees in the final stages of decay waiting for some honest recognition. I feel as though I have too many friends still living with their parents or renting apartments when they should be entering the happy years of paying off loans and investing in mortgages. Where CGI excels at rewarding innovative workhorses and sales-machines, it could apply some of that mentality to rewarding the dedicated foot-soldiers that keep the gears spinning smoothly.

As stated above, the company has made tremendous strides in the short time that I've worked here. I've certainly grown as a person and as an employee seeking a stable career that can accommodate my life's goals. Which is where my two cents comes from; I feel like understanding everyone's goals would improve the relationship between upper management and the staff. Obviously, no one is (or rather they shouldn't be) expecting handouts be given, but if the upper management truly understood where each of the employees were and where they want to wind up, and by when, better feedback could be given regarding performance to help achieve those goals. I've had outstanding opportunities with my time at the company and now I want the same for my staff. The fundamental difference is, where I feel as though some of my success was the result of "right place, right time" I'd like to see something more intentional reach the small cogs that turn this big machine that is CGI. I'm aware that it can be difficult to get to know everyone, as the thirst for expansion sometimes consumes a young professional before they've had ample opportunity to really grow in a position, but the greater the effort from the team "running the show" so to speak, is something I believe would go a long way in retention and quenching that thirst for more. The biggest disparity I see amongst the staff is that very few people are making the leap to evolve their life outside of work, and may not realize that the answer resides in evolving on the job. I suppose the thesis of this advice is: make sure you are approachable, and project genuine interest in helping your staff achieve their life-goals and maintaining a comfortable lifestyle. The benefits should be two-fold, happier employee/more productive company. Many of the employees in the non-commissioned roles (and probably a fair share of those receiving commission) are staring down the barrel of massive loans (six years later and mine are only marginally closer to dissipating) and they want to plant their feet and disarm that loaded gun. That's my goal. That's the goal of many people I know on my staff working hard to push through it. The foundation for all of this stems from a moment I had almost a year ago where I realized what fuels my dedication--everyone on the upper management knows me well enough to be genuinely happy for my success. Nothing could be more motivating than getting a hug from your CEO at the company Christmas party when he finds out you bought your first house. If every dedicated member of the company could somehow share that experience (and we're not far from achieving that the way things have been going) the company would explode in all the right ways. Basically my advice is to give every hard-working member of the staff the experience I've had with the company.

Unethical business practices, crude management, favoritism, assembly-line production

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

A select few have done well in production. The sales staff are consistently lauded for their efforts. If you are a young, attractive female you will have a different experience than others. Football players for the local indoor team should like "working" here.

Cons

Everything else in the production department. Most of the producers were unhelpful and even spiteful. They delegated their own tasks to the assistant producers and script writers and would throw others under the bus to management. Management did not support the lower-end production staff and only cared about numbers, which were actually uneven and arbitrarily set. There were people on the staff who had titles as "researchers" but would walk around and talk loudly about recreational activities around the production department throughout the day. Most of these people were also football players for the team management had stake in. Like one of the other posters wrote, do not trust the other reviews. This is a marketing company with a decent sense of online recruitment. It is almost a guarantee that the positive reviews are purposefully written to make the company appear acceptable. The fact is, the turnover is high and the firings are quick and unjust. Beware.

Great first job out of college experience

Current Employee - Marketing Associate
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is great with an open door policy. The environment is very exciting and you could easily walk into anyone in upper management's office with a problem or concern. You get lots of fun events that you can take part in. There are always contests and fun things to do.

Cons

Sales is a hard field and definitely is not cut out for everyone. If you are not prepared to work extremely hard and get some "no's" thrown at you then the job definitely is not for you. If you have a thick skin and think you can thrive in sales then you have nothing to worry about. There is a lot of room for advancement within the company.

A great place to work with the opportunity to grow

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of different opportunities at CGI that most companies don't offer. There are many departments and you can find the perfect place for you. The employees are great to work with too. CGI offers opportunities to those who are just starting out in their career which gives them an opportunity to gain valuable experience in a professional work environment. You have an opportunity to share your ideas too.

Cons

You have to be very organized and willing to adapt to new things and new plans. If you're not, then you might feel overwhelmed.

Worked for CGI Communications? Contribute to the Community!