CGI Communications

Updated January 15, 2015
Updated January 15, 2015
4.4

Bob Bartosiewicz

Pros
  • The work environment is challenging (which I like) and fun (in 7 reviews)

• It's a great place to work where the employees respect each other and help each other grow (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Great sales associates continually walk out the door because they have female sales executives who are just the worst people to work with (in 4 reviews)

• There is a great deal of travel involved which ranges anywhere from 25%-50% of the month for sales executives (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Terrible, abusive work environment. Don't believe any of the reviews below

Former Employee - Production in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Production in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you're in sales, you're valued

Cons

constant verbal abuse if the CEO deems you "unworthy" (generally meaning you work in production and not sales), illogical business plans, untrustworthy business practices -- for example, the reviews below were all most likely written by the CEO himself, or were written by employees in exchange for the opportunity to leave early. This is what CGI does--they lie, not only to potential employees but to businesses they deal with. Just Google the company and you'll see CGI for what it truly is.

I have no advice, because you can't argue with stupid.

This company has given me opportunity beyond anything I would have expected!

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great learning environment. Great earing potential. Unique and fun culture. (ie:Company Cruise, quarterly staff parties/events) The CEO is accessible and listens to his employees. He works 'with' us, we don't work 'for' him. Extremely passionate!

Cons

None that I can think of. I really have had an overall great experience here. We are constantly growing and expanding. New floors, offices, divisions, products!

A great place to start and maintain a lifelong career, worked here for 3 years

Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-upper management is very hands on and always there to guide you.
    -Smaller company, very close knit community, big fish in a small pond

Cons

starting at 8 am, the Chicago commute can be a little tough at times, expect waking up early

n/a

Great company to work for!

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CGI is a great company to work for! I've been here since graduating college, and I feel that I couldn't have chosen a better company to work for. I took the position as a job and turned it into my career. The management is great, training is superb, and it's also a great environment. Work hard but also reap the benefits. Just got back from a company cruise with the top 30 producers for the first quarter!

Cons

Not easy - you get what you put into it. Must be motivated and hard working to do well.

Challenged every day to do your best

Current Employee - Account Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for about 10 years. CGI is full of extremely capable and smart people. There is easy accessibility to senior management and it's easy to get a hold of the right person to talk to on any topic. There's no red tape, so it's really up to you to have a big impact on the product and the world. People who make a big impact are recognized and rewarded, regardless of their job title or level of experience. The company's leadership truly believes in CGI's mission to make the world more open and connected. Teams are small and have a lot of autonomy, and it's amazing to see how much of a difference a single person can make at this place.
    I have been one of those impact people many times and in different positions over the years. The company allows you the ability to transition into varied positions and departments. I have learned so much about the business world and the inner workings of a company.
    The work environment is challenging (which I like) and fun. It is a different atmosphere to come to a place of work and work with friends. Many of my other friends are doctors, work in corporate America or finance and I feel lucky that I have not experienced some of the back stabbing and one up-ness horror stories that they have told me about.
    Many of the senior management have helped me a lot with life advice outside of business with investment advice, real estate guidance, just lending a hand to help you out and more.
    I have referred many friends here to work, some short term, some long term but all have taken away what they desired rather it be a stepping stone or a career.

Cons

We use to do two company cruises a year and now we only do one company cruise a year.

Do some sort of matching on 401k

Results-driven company where attitude and self-motivation are the catalysts for success. A focus on employee opportunity

Current Employee - Account Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Results Driven; Cohesive Unit; Employee Opportunity is a focus of Management, Presidents and Vice-Presidents; Looked upon as a valued member of a team, not a number. Meetings every week are motivational, goals are well-planned and well-known, Looked upon by CEO as a colleague rather than an ancillary number in employment. Best sales training provided starting from basics; Production team is diligent and continually churns out great work.

Cons

Potential employees must be prepared to create and pursue goals and opportunities actively. Your path is not always clear-cut, some people look at this as a drawback, others embrace the atmosphere and challenge openly.

More structured progression for employees looking for stepping stones to advancement.

Current employee that loves working here!

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Growth company with great opportunity! Highly motivated people that care about what they are doing and taking care of their clients. It's hard not to be excited about coming to work when you are doing great work.

Cons

Always an emphasis on current performance no matter what your past performance was.

Great company with enormous growth opportunity for entry level professionals!

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CGI is unlike most sales companies in that they train their sales people thoroughly and don't just leave them to fend for themselves. Management and peers care about the success of each individual and do everything they can and provide all of the necessary tools to succeed even at an entry level position.

There is enormous opportunity for college grads and young professionals to grow into high level sales positions within a few months to a year of starting at the company. CGI is very loyal to their employees and allows anyone who is a hard worker to have the opportunity to do what they would like.

We're expanding like crazy all over the country and continue to have happy clients renew their services year after year.

Cons

Starting salary is not the most attractive, but can easily double or triple within a year of being there if you work hard.

Create more middle management positions to prevent losing quality people that don't want to sell.

The opportunities are endless!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

CGI has provided me with the tools to grow within my position and become a successful professional in a field that I love! My future lies with CGI Communications. I have seen this company grow from 70 employees to 200+ employees during the 6.5 years that I have worked at CGI. With our cutting edge technology and product ideas we will continue to grow. I am proud to be a part of the CGI family.

Cons

You will be pushed to work hard! Can you handle it?

Started Great, But Slow Payments and Poor Quality Products Hindered My Satisfaction

Former Employee - Freelance Videographer in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Freelance Videographer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at CGI Communications as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

As I said on a previous review from last year, which was positive at the time, when I began my career as a freelance videographer, CGI was a great paying company that gave me the opportunity to gain great experience which opened the doors for other higher paying video gigs ever since. CGI used to pay in a reasonable amount of time and provide a great amount of work.

Cons

In the last 8 months, payment time went from roughly 60 days to nearly 3 months without notice, unlike other companies I have worked for who notify freelancers of changes in payment times. On top of that, the server that the final videos play on is very poor, lowering the video quality tremendously.

Pay your freelancers in a reasonable amount of time. 3 months is too long to wait for a video that takes two hours to film. And also, find a better way to display the final videos, especially in the modern era where great video quality is universally expected from paying clients.

CGI Communications Photos