CGI Communications

Great Sales Training & Entry Level Sales Opportunity

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CGI is a great place to learn sales techniques and effective behaviors. The environment is one that encourages high activity, self-motivation and working as a team. It is a great place for college graduates to find a foothold in the professional world and new hires are given opportunity to move up quickly within the company. There is potential to make a high dollar amount after a short period of time. Company culture promotes an atmosphere where employees become close-knit and there is a "work hard, play hard" attitude.

Cons

CGI bases its model around working with municipalities around the US. There is a great deal of travel involved which ranges anywhere from 25%-50% of the month for sales executives. Sales associates work in an environment that can sometimes become tedious as they are dialing all day and setting appointments for their executive with little variation in their day. There is little upward mobility beyond a sales executive level so many employees find that they are ready to leave after a period of time to pursue sales management elsewhere. The CEO of the company is an in-your-face type of person and any employee that wants to work here should have a thick skin and a willingness to work hard.

Create more opportunity for Middle Management. Create systemic promotion with long-standing employees in good standing.

CGI has given me the necessary tools and knowledge to be a SUCCESSFUL sales person.

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-You're given opportunity to make more money than any other job you could possibly have in your early 20s.
    -You are able to travel all over the country as a Sales Executive.
    -As a Sales Executive, you get to work with a Sales Associate who assists you in setting appointments and filling your calendar.
    -The company is growing by leaps and bounds, opening up opportunities for management and positions in other divisions.

Cons

-Dialing.
    -As a fast growing company, it does lack some organization within certain departments.

Wouldn't trade it for any other job I have had since

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Travelled all over the country and got paid to do it. Made good money right out of college and made a ton of friends.

Cons

CEO is a little out of his mind but has good intentions. Other than that, great working environment.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for young grads and people looking for a exciting sales experience!

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

CGI provides a great energetic culture to learn and sharpen your sales skills. No matter where you work, its all about the people. CGI has a great staff and culture!

Cons

salary is not terrific. but as you become a Sales Executive, the potential is great!

Great Products, Great Growth Potential

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have worked at CGI for about 5 years. They have provided me with all of the vertical and horizontal mobility you could ask for. If you are motivated and passionate, you will have all kinds of opportunities for success. It has always been a fun and competitive work environment. This is not just a great place for an entry level position, but a great place for a successful career.

Cons

A very young average age, which can be both a Pro and a Con.

None.

Fun place to work for!!!!

Current Employee - Intern  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is fun. Work hard, play harder is pretty much what everyone goes by. If you do the work to the best you can you will be rewarded. Although it is not always cash rewards you get "extra" vacation time. By this I mean some days, especially when people are getting their work done and selling the CEO/upper management will let us out of work early and you will get paid for it. I like the fact that I can make my own hours for the most part since I am still in school. Since I am still in school and working, working here has given me the opportunity to still have a life outside of school and work. There is also a range of opportunities to grow your career if you work hard enough.

Cons

Although it is a fun atmosphere, there is a lot of pressure from the CEO and Vice Presidents. It is not on me specifically, I can see and hear it through out the company.

Maybe just to put on your resume

Former Employee - Sales  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time for less than a year

Pros

i can honestly say nothing. The allure of traveling is about it.

Cons

You will fear for your job at all times even after a week of killing your numbers. The CEO and VP level management is semi abusive with the threats and soldier type mentality. This was my first job out of school, if you have any sort of major responsibility (mortgage, child, wife) please stay away. Plus, the pay is horrible and the sales approach is slimey.

Hire an experienced CEO that is not caught up in the scene of living the extravagant lifestyle of a CEO.

I would not recommend working for this company.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time

Pros

The majority of the workplace is under the age of 25. If you would say a free lunch once a month would be a selling point of working here, I would say, keep the free lunch.

Cons

As a sales associate, your job will be to set up appointments with local business owners for sales executives. The senior executives are the worst type of leaders you could imagine. Here's some free advice. Leaders dont blame things on other people, they take personal responsibility for, not only they're own actions, but for others around them as well. This will never happen here, they will deflect blame, and if your like me, I can't stand people who are like that. It is a very destructive mentality, and one of the primary reasons that the turnover rate is through the roof. Great sales associates continually walk out the door because they have female sales executives who are just the worst people to work with. I wish the CEO would know how they are eroding his company with their awful attitudes and how they treat people but they will just smile and act all ditzy to his face and turn around and be rude and demeaning to the others (which the CEO probably encourages, just another great training technique to really get your sales force going). I could write a book with everything that goes on at this place but to be honest, it really isn't worth it. I would stay away and just get a real job. I read in another review that hard work is recognized? Wait, when? With a 15 dollar gift certificate to McDonalds? Come on now. I would go as far as saying that every decent review written about this place, except for maybe the free lance videographer one, was written by the CEO himself. They ask employees to create fake google accounts so that they can post phony reviews on the local businesses who sign up for our service. This company is the poster child for unprofessionalism.

Management? Really? That's almost mind numbing hearing themselves refering to each other as management. Half of these guys wouldn't be management material at your local thrift store. They are just all close friends of the CEO, so they have absolutely ZERO management training/skills, which is clearly evident by how they handle certain situations and how they communicate with their staff. The kicker is, I'm not even writing this as a disgruntled employee, this is all just fact. Don't worry though, they will just write another phony review for how this is a great place to work, and the growth opportunities and sucker another desperate person into working here. Don't say no one warned you once you are working there.

Lots of potential...if the VPs would quit.

Former Employee - Producer  in  Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees are some of the nicest around however, if you don't like someone, give it a month and they'll likely be gone. Turnover is outrageous.

Cons

CGI gives free online videos to communities around the US and Canada in exchange for the Mayor's signature on a piece of paper allowing them to solicit thousands from local small businesses. The sales associates use scripts and hound business owners until they finally join the program.

The company also takes advantage of the fact that there are not many production jobs in the area and pays employees so little that most still live at home and/or struggle month to month. Due to the CEOs focus on sales over quality of product, the majority of clients are unhappy with a product they could have hired out locally for thousands less.

Sexual harassment is an every day occurrence (including from the VPs - of which there are many that employees couldn't tell you what their job actually is) as well as the presence of drugs and mandatory events where employees are encouraged to drink up.

Working there for only a short amount of time, I witnessed 2 major lay-offs where employees were blindsided as 20 people would be fired from a 70 person department (which was still expected to keep numbers up) or a department would be obliterated because the CEO suddenly didn't agree with in office relationships. Employees constantly fear for their jobs and it isn't unusual to hear or see the CEO screaming in the face of sales associates not hitting their targets. Employees who stayed long enough were given promotions as CGI places seniority over skill.

Start recognizing the potential you have in your employees. Pay them what they deserve, not what you think you can get away with.

Don't work with a freelancer who has never submitted sample work. Pay freelancers when you say you are going to so the good ones don't refuse to work with the company in the future.

Understand there are good and bad weeks. Your sales associates can't be expected to pull in all the numbers to keep the CEOs $100,000 gambling weekends afloat (also, he really shouldn't brag about that to employees who are barely making over $20,000 a year).

A great opportunity for freelance videographers and filmmakers

Current Employee - Freelance Videographer  in  Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Freelance Videographer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at CGI Communications as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Making commercials and working with small businesses is very rewarding. The pay is great for the short amount of time it takes to work on these projects. The opportunity to visit new places in your general area is also rewarding. Since I started working with CGI have had more high paying career opportunities open up.

Cons

Payments take a couple of months to arrive and there are some points in time where little work is available.

This is one of the best video companies I have ever worked with and I have no real complaints.

CGI Communications Photos

Worked for CGI Communications? Contribute to the Community!