CGI Communications

Updated November 25, 2014
Updated November 25, 2014
4.2

Bob Bartosiewicz

Pros
  • The work environment is challenging (which I like) and fun (in 7 reviews)

• It's a great place to work where the employees respect each other and help each other grow (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Great sales associates continually walk out the door because they have female sales executives who are just the worst people to work with (in 4 reviews)

• There is a great deal of travel involved which ranges anywhere from 25%-50% of the month for sales executives (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Products, Great Growth Potential

Current Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at CGI for about 5 years. They have provided me with all of the vertical and horizontal mobility you could ask for. If you are motivated and passionate, you will have all kinds of opportunities for success. It has always been a fun and competitive work environment. This is not just a great place for an entry level position, but a great place for a successful career.

Cons

A very young average age, which can be both a Pro and a Con.

None.

Fun place to work for!!!!

Current Employee - Intern in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Intern in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is fun. Work hard, play harder is pretty much what everyone goes by. If you do the work to the best you can you will be rewarded. Although it is not always cash rewards you get "extra" vacation time. By this I mean some days, especially when people are getting their work done and selling the CEO/upper management will let us out of work early and you will get paid for it. I like the fact that I can make my own hours for the most part since I am still in school. Since I am still in school and working, working here has given me the opportunity to still have a life outside of school and work. There is also a range of opportunities to grow your career if you work hard enough.

Cons

Although it is a fun atmosphere, there is a lot of pressure from the CEO and Vice Presidents. It is not on me specifically, I can see and hear it through out the company.

Maybe just to put on your resume

Former Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (less than an year)

Pros

i can honestly say nothing. The allure of traveling is about it.

Cons

You will fear for your job at all times even after a week of killing your numbers. The CEO and VP level management is semi abusive with the threats and soldier type mentality. This was my first job out of school, if you have any sort of major responsibility (mortgage, child, wife) please stay away. Plus, the pay is horrible and the sales approach is slimey.

Hire an experienced CEO that is not caught up in the scene of living the extravagant lifestyle of a CEO.

I would not recommend working for this company.

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time

Pros

The majority of the workplace is under the age of 25. If you would say a free lunch once a month would be a selling point of working here, I would say, keep the free lunch.

Cons

As a sales associate, your job will be to set up appointments with local business owners for sales executives. The senior executives are the worst type of leaders you could imagine. Here's some free advice. Leaders dont blame things on other people, they take personal responsibility for, not only they're own actions, but for others around them as well. This will never happen here, they will deflect blame, and if your like me, I can't stand people who are like that. It is a very destructive mentality, and one of the primary reasons that the turnover rate is through the roof. Great sales associates continually walk out the door because they have female sales executives who are just the worst people to work with. I wish the CEO would know how they are eroding his company with their awful attitudes and how they treat people but they will just smile and act all ditzy to his face and turn around and be rude and demeaning to the others (which the CEO probably encourages, just another great training technique to really get your sales force going). I could write a book with everything that goes on at this place but to be honest, it really isn't worth it. I would stay away and just get a real job. I read in another review that hard work is recognized? Wait, when? With a 15 dollar gift certificate to McDonalds? Come on now. I would go as far as saying that every decent review written about this place, except for maybe the free lance videographer one, was written by the CEO himself. They ask employees to create fake google accounts so that they can post phony reviews on the local businesses who sign up for our service. This company is the poster child for unprofessionalism.

Management? Really? That's almost mind numbing hearing themselves refering to each other as management. Half of these guys wouldn't be management material at your local thrift store. They are just all close friends of the CEO, so they have absolutely ZERO management training/skills, which is clearly evident by how they handle certain situations and how they communicate with their staff. The kicker is, I'm not even writing this as a disgruntled employee, this is all just fact. Don't worry though, they will just write another phony review for how this is a great place to work, and the growth opportunities and sucker another desperate person into working here. Don't say no one warned you once you are working there.

Lots of potential...if the VPs would quit.

Former Employee - Producer in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Producer in Rochester, NY

I worked at CGI Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees are some of the nicest around however, if you don't like someone, give it a month and they'll likely be gone. Turnover is outrageous.

Cons

CGI gives free online videos to communities around the US and Canada in exchange for the Mayor's signature on a piece of paper allowing them to solicit thousands from local small businesses. The sales associates use scripts and hound business owners until they finally join the program.

The company also takes advantage of the fact that there are not many production jobs in the area and pays employees so little that most still live at home and/or struggle month to month. Due to the CEOs focus on sales over quality of product, the majority of clients are unhappy with a product they could have hired out locally for thousands less.

Sexual harassment is an every day occurrence (including from the VPs - of which there are many that employees couldn't tell you what their job actually is) as well as the presence of drugs and mandatory events where employees are encouraged to drink up.

Working there for only a short amount of time, I witnessed 2 major lay-offs where employees were blindsided as 20 people would be fired from a 70 person department (which was still expected to keep numbers up) or a department would be obliterated because the CEO suddenly didn't agree with in office relationships. Employees constantly fear for their jobs and it isn't unusual to hear or see the CEO screaming in the face of sales associates not hitting their targets. Employees who stayed long enough were given promotions as CGI places seniority over skill.

Start recognizing the potential you have in your employees. Pay them what they deserve, not what you think you can get away with.

Don't work with a freelancer who has never submitted sample work. Pay freelancers when you say you are going to so the good ones don't refuse to work with the company in the future.

Understand there are good and bad weeks. Your sales associates can't be expected to pull in all the numbers to keep the CEOs $100,000 gambling weekends afloat (also, he really shouldn't brag about that to employees who are barely making over $20,000 a year).

A great opportunity for freelance videographers and filmmakers

Current Employee - Freelance Videographer in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Freelance Videographer in Dayton, OH

I have been working at CGI Communications as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Making commercials and working with small businesses is very rewarding. The pay is great for the short amount of time it takes to work on these projects. The opportunity to visit new places in your general area is also rewarding. Since I started working with CGI have had more high paying career opportunities open up.

Cons

Payments take a couple of months to arrive and there are some points in time where little work is available.

This is one of the best video companies I have ever worked with and I have no real complaints.

a great opportunity...

Current Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than an year)

Pros

growth opportunities, great culture and work environment, accessibility to upper management, fun company events and activities, opportunity to gain experience in my desired field and move up quickly

Cons

if you're a lazy person or someone with a negative attitude, look elsewhere for employment

CGI has continued to grow but still has the feel of a smaller, team oriented company. Since I've been here, CGI has opened up many new divisions and the employee base is growing rapidly...who wouldn't want to work in a growing organization?

High Energy,Rewarding Environment

Current Employee - Managing Producer In Production Department in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Producer In Production Department in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Room for growth within organization
    Paid additional time off occasionally as a bonus from owner (aside from yearly vacation time) if your department is achieving required goals.
    Young Energetic Company
    If you work hard, you are noticed and can move up within organization.
    Work with employees to achieve next level, rather then just letting them go.

Cons

Stressful sometimes due to time deadlines we must accomplish
    Sometimes keep employees who should not work within organization longer than they should and giving them more changes to improve when these people don't really care about being here.

Keep rewarding the hard workers and getting rid of the people who do not really want to work hard.
    They way the rest of the teams down.

Great place to build a career

I have been working at CGI Communications

Pros

I currently work at CGI Communications (for almost a year now) and would recommend this company to anyone looking for a reputable, innovative, and fun place to build your career. The opportunity for advancement is unlike any other company I've worked for- I started as a sales associate then became a sales executive, and now I am an account manager for the marketing department. The work environment is fun and high energy, and the leadership team (CEO, Vice Presidents, etc.) truly care about the company and employees. How many companies have a CEO who holds a weekly morning meeting? I've worked for companies for years and never seen the CEO in person. This is a great place to work if you're looking for more than just a job to get by.

Cons

This is not the place to just come in and collect a paycheck. Hard work is definitely recognized, but so is laziness!

High energy work event environment

Current Employee - Management in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Management in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CGI Communications

Pros

working at CGI is great, just like any place that is great to work at the primary reason is the people. The work can be demanding at times but if you work hard and put in a solid effort you definitely be rewarded accordingly.

Cons

There can be a lot of pressure to perform and it can be stressful at times. You have to look at the big picture though and understand what they're trying to accomplish.

Keep doing what your doing. In any busy you can get far working with hard workers and solid attitudes, almost always these individuals will be result in some of your best employees

CGI Communications Photos