CGI Group

CGI Group Reviews in Atlanta, GA

Updated Apr 9, 2014

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good(in 126 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements(in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance(in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth(in 37 reviews)

12 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company, great work life balance

Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat work life balance, I was satisifed with my salary, and the people were great! This is a great company to get your feet wet with a consulting firm, or a business analsyt role.

ConsFor me it was difficult to alway wonder where my next role would come from. It might not be a con to everyone but for me I needed more job security. Also, my manager had been with CGI for 20 years and was just a Senior Consultant, so that turned me off as far as advancement opprotunity. Let's face it, this job is a stepping stone unless you actually live in Fairfax. I would come back to CGI in the future if we win bigger and longer contracts in Atlanta. CGI Federal has very small footprint in Atlanta.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more agressive when going after bids, we have lost out on some BIG deals due to the lack of flexibility in pricing.

Solid consulting firm from the top down that encourages employee ownership

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCompetitive compensation package
    Flexible work environment
    Committed to work/life balance
    Excellent stock ownership plan

ConsLimited opportunity in Atlanta with regard to client projects (Mostly staff augmentation)
    Limited commitment to career growth
    Minimal employee engagement in CGI teams

Advice to Senior ManagementEach CGI VP should be accountable for establishing new client relationships above and beyond the status quo of existing clients in order to keep employees motivated. Also, each CGI office manager/VP should promote more teamwork that would further encourage employees to have a sense of belonging to CGI rather than their client. Employees need to feel like they don't just work for a "body shop."

Great

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people. Great Benefits. Decent Salary.

ConsUpward mobility isn't clearly defined

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd more detail to jobs

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional and Friendly environment

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsProfessional and Friendly environment
    Fair opportunity for growth.
    Provides Commensurate compensation and benefits. Good health care benefits.
    Has many offices worldwide.

ConsLack of Brand name recognition in the world.
    May have limited industry exposure.
    Leadership doesn't go after new business. They rather stick to repeated business.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to hire more sales people to go after new business.
    There needs to be better coordination of internal staffing across the company locations.

Good Company overall

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsHours are less than most BA's

40 hour work week is the norm

Conslow potential for growth unless you want to move

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good comap to work for

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Prosgood management. good work environment. respect among members. good health plan.
    good company to work for. world wide presences. member satisfaction.

Conscompensation is not high as expected. not much importance given to growth of the members.
    less opportunities to work in the area of liking.

Advice to Senior Managementlook to increase the size of this company. more advisement will help company to be known in the US. organic growth is important.

Laid back environment with a good work-life balance.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

Pros100% travel is not likely in most practice areas but don't consider yourself too safe during today's economic conditions - flexibility is a must. Close interaction with senior management; senior management are typically working managers.

ConsCentralized business units make it difficult to experience work outside of your sector. Tendency to become pigeon-holed into a certain role. Highly likely to that you'll eventually do some type of staff augmentation role.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost business are not aware of who CGI is and there is a considerable need for US branding and identity.

decent place to start, not a great place to stay

Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIt's a good place to start off if you'd like a company with name recognition. Other than that I wouldn't stay here longer than you have to.

Conslack of recognition, management is not up to par. Unless you are a lifer, you'll never see any advancement, but really who wants to put in 30+ years to move up 3 or 4 levels, you'll just become another part of the useless middle management. They say you should feel like an owner of the company, I guess they forgot to mention that to everyone they laid off. Management should really look at who is actually bringing in revenue and not who's the easiest to get rid of.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more truthful with your employees, they work hard for you.

IT Consulting firm that knows you have a life

Consultant (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat people.

The management understands you have a personal life and is willing to work with you to find the best schedule for you. It's project-based work, so busy times can be very busy, but downtimes are a great opportunity to recharge and retool using many of CGI's knowledge resources.

The management also is willing to work to retain good people. I earned an out-of-cycle pay raise by producing good results and some luck. CGI was re-evaluating salaries and trying to stay competitive in the market.

ConsDepending on your project, you may be working with the same client for a long time. My job almost seemed like I was part of an outsourcing team.

Advice to Senior ManagementLarge engagements and clients are bread-and-butter, but do not become complacent with just the cash cows. Try to develop more business opportunities.

CGI-- A Promising Career with a Progressive Company

IT Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCGI provides extensive training for employees with a variety of educational and professional backgrounds, allowing each member to enter the field on the same level, while gaining experience in their new area. The company also has an excellent leave program, and encourages its members to have a life outside of the office. The company takes into consideration the individual needs of each and every employee, and makes adjustments that best suit their separate lives. I've been most impressed with their consideration of personal plans for growth and the sharing of knowledge. More specifically, lunch breaks are long and encouraged, vacation time is considered to be as important as office time, some employees have the option to work from home due to personal circumstances, and all upper management maintains a positive attitude, even when projects hit rocky places. The company has an extremely active Social Club, and provides fitness benefits as well, to make sure that the social and health areas of their employees' lives are at their peak.
    More than anything, the environment is focused and professional while being relaxed and personable at the same time. My background is in English Literature and Journalism, and I am honestly and pleasantly surprised at how much I find this position as an IT consultant to be satisfying and challenging. I fully intend to remain with this company as long as possible. The company is respectful of its employees individual backgrounds, cultures, and personal goals. The hours are flexible, the atmosphere quiet and encouraging. For a college grad, there are few positions that provide such a promising start to a career in Consulting!

ConsThe biggest downside is perhaps the different degrees of difficulty from project to project. Some employees end up with assignments that require longer hours, deal with more persnickety clients, and have more restrictions on working conditions. For example, some nights, overtime is required, or employees are asked to remain in the office instead of working from home. In other cases, employees are required to work at certain times to accomodate their clientele. These factors are not typical of the general CGI position, but they do exist. While CGI takes many factors into consideration when assigning employees to projects, the project may be suitable for the employee's skills, while the employee may not be as partial to the project. I have been with the company for a full year, and this is the only complaint I have heard from fellow employees. However, this has not been my experience at all, just one that I have observed from others around me.
    But again, allow me to reiterate that management is very flexible and truly wants the employees to be happy-- and they often make arrangements as needed when these difficult projects become too much of a workload for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only feedback I would provide to Senior Management is that many employees, especially those new to the company, look forward to feedback from their superiors. With the exception of the annual review, employees need the reassurance of knowing they are doing their job well and successfully. Not knowing if one's work is poor, satisfactory, or above average makes gauging one's success in the position more difficult. Also, employees right out of college are used to being 'graded' on their performance on a regular basis. Noting these milemarkers of productivity would not only encourage morale on an individual level, but it would increase the overall quality of work that the company offers as a whole. The company promotes an individually responsible atmosphere, but touching base when a job is done well shouldn't be just a once-a-year occurrence.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!