CGI Group

Updated Jul 25, 2014

3.0 1,253 reviews

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good(in 123 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements(in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance(in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth(in 37 reviews)

1,253 Employee Reviews

Very dependent on project you are working on

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsOne project I worked on was very good with excellent people, great teamwork, and high morale even under extreme pressure. Everyone pulled together, good sharing of knowledge, and everyone worked hard to get the job done under extremely challenging conditions. Company worked hard to compensate for long hours by providing free lunches/dinners, and some extra compensation for long hours.

ConsA second project was the exact reverse of the first project. Claimed that schedule was tight, but often times when someone completed a task the technical lead had no new task to give them. One of several signs of extreme disorganization. This caused low morale, and several people leaving within a short period of time. Seemed to be split by new members of the project versus people who had been on the project for quite some time. New members often were not tasked well, and were not given enough chance to understand the business functions. Technical lead bad-mouthed some new members to others on the project, which got back to new members making them feel unappreciated and not being given proper chance. Management seemed not to care about this as long as work was getting done.

Good, but not great

Consultant (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood people
    decent pay
    good work life balance

ConsNo growth
    micro managing managers
    lack of trust from upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your employees out by delegating items to upcoming employees. They need to learn and grow. Upper mgt would just take the tasks and not relinquish some responsibilities because of their lack in trust in people.

BA

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsA Very good working environment

ConsThere are no cons yet in my experience.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Helpdesk Support

Help Desk Support (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsI was able to work from home.

ConsThe turn over rate is bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that mangement should hire / promote people from within the company.

A good place to work

Pros1. Very flexible work schedule
    2. work from home
    3. if you know your path, it is easy to move around the company

Cons1. lower pay
    2. high turn over

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on onboarding and training of employees.

An ok JOB not a CAREER.

Group Leader (Current Employee) Lawton, OK

ProsSpeaking specifically about the Lawton office:
    The share purchase plan is nice.
    The salaries are ok for the region but well below industry averages.

ConsNo one at this office knows what is going on. Guidance regarding corporate procedures changes daily. Our HR reps are in Huntsville, AL they come out once a year give us a company line then when you ask questions they leave with a promise to get back to you but never take your contact info.
    They cherry pick their favorite sections and will over hire positions in sections that don't deem worthy until jobs open up in other areas and then move people around. This leaves the "step-child" sections consistently short handed and unable to function properly.
    It is contract work, so you could be let go at any moment. A fact that management seems to delight in reminding us on an almost daily basis. The last time our contract was cut we received less that 2 weeks notice before they started laying everyone off. Then 2 months later, when funds were back but everyone who had been laid off found other work, they griped and dared to call anyone that wouldn't come back a "soulless traitor"
    My advice is if you are in the Lawton area and want a decent paying short term job to earn some experience the mismanagement can be tolerated short term then you can move on. If you are looking for a caring, open company to work at long term pass this one up.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry getting out to the Lawton office more than 1-2 times a year. Take a good hard look at what is going on.

Most horrible company to work

ProsNo pros seriously to work for CGI

Cons- extremely strict with 3 weeks bench and the HR doses not even help to find a project . Once the project ends, it I'd like finding a new job.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease shut down if you have no projects

I have been working for this company for over 17 years and believe that I need to move on

Director (Current Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers. Work life balance

ConsOnce you get to the director level, it is very hard to move up to VP level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive opportunity to long term employee so they can contribute more to CGI and also recognize them by promoting them.

Consultant

Consultant (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGood place to start as college hires
    Reasonably big company to start

ConsHigh turn over rate
    The product has too much defect
    Understaffed with project
    Overtime give you flex time which you can't use

Ok employer

Information Technology Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsInteresting colleagues, stock purchase plan. There is an effort to support employee morale thru get togethers and after hour events which is good as the commitment level required is high so your personal and family life is compromised.

ConsLong hours without overtime compensation. Leadership is somewhat spotty, most managers do not have any training. There is a tendency to move managers around so you're constantly figuring who to satisfy and what the expectations are.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time listenining to your employees.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!