CGI Group

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.0 1,250 reviews

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good(in 123 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements(in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance(in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth(in 37 reviews)

1,250 Employee Reviews

Good

ProsWork life balance
    The People are great
    Annual Bonus

ConsBenefits
    Senior Leadership can seem mis-managed at times
    Understaffed projects

I enjoy working with my team.

Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsGrey team and work-life balance.

ConsCommunication is not so great.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication could be better.

Junior Consultant

Junior Consultant (Former Employee) Troy, AL

Prosoffice culture, good place to start off, relaxed work environment, not strict on work hours or vacations, benefits were awesome and reasonably priced, profit sharing bonuses and a share purchase plan which was a good way to save money

ConsCenter of excellence offices do not want to let employees transfer to other larger offices with better opportunities, and pay employees half of what they would be making in larger offices for the same job and work.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible Work Environment

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGood work to life balance. Great flexibility depending on the project. CGI is really good for families with small children. Investors also love CGI. They have grown exponentially over the past 10 years.

ConsCompensation is something that some people complain about but I am not sure if that is due people's desire to be paid more or if CGI's compensation is a little below the industry average. My guess is both.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Great Company

Manager Quality, Compliance, Training & Procedures (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLots of career opportunities. Global company with a presence all major countries and industries.

ConsYou have to be willing to put in the hours and travel as a consultant. In some positions you may need to relocate every 4 to 5 years, but the pay is more than worth it.

Consultant QA Tester

Consultant (Current Employee) Belton, TX

ProsFlexible hours, love my team, good opportunity to network with lots of people from different backgrounds, good diversity, opportunity to become involved in a project where you don't know much about it and you end up learning quite a bit. Great if you wanna travel since they pay for everything, so you are saving a lot of your own earnings. With benefits and covered travel expenses, you really are a "member" at this company, but without travel I don't think it is worth it...

ConsI'm on a horribly managed and time crunched project. Everything is rushed, there are no processes for everything, but we do feel like we have some say in what we do (although this is probably the only project where that can happen). Payment is every 2 weeks (80hrs) and in order to get comp time you must have over 95hrs for 2 weeks. Everything over 95hrs is considered comp time (1hr of work for 1hr of comp time) which you can take at anytime as long as your manager on your project gives the "ok". So, you must "contribute" or "donate" 15hrs in two weeks before you can gain comp time hours. It's really frustrating if you do 10-15 hrs over 80hrs, and you don't get anything in return....

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to be involved with the people that you are managing. Sometimes I feel like managers just act as "middle-men" relaying messages from the client to the team. I believe the manager should always be able to do what the people under him are doing.

Good people and environment.

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood for consulting exposure, nice people and friendly work environment,

ConsNot much presence in Seattle area.

Just Terrible all around

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFree Coffee for employees as long as they do not take anything out of the break room.

ConsPay
    Managerial team
    Threatened to be fired at any moment
    Fire people and retain their property

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit treating employees like they are not important.

Nice work culture to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood opportunities to excel ... Healthy work culture ... Good pay

ConsNothing which I remember specifically

As a last resort, this place might be alright to start your career; just get out as soon as you can.

Consultant (Former Employee) Lebanon, VA

ProsThe people at the Lebanon, VA office are really great. It's a mostly casual working environment, with very little micro-managing at the lower levels. Your first-level managers are amazing and genuinely care about your concerns. In fact, most of the people you'll work with are exceptionally nice and pleasant to work with regardless of location.

If you do accept a job here, your first, second and potentially even third level managers genuinely care about your concerns (just don't confuse `care` with actually having the power to do anything about them).

ConsIf you're a recent graduate, contemplating whether or not this place is something worth looking into, please read this section in it's entirety.

--- Me ---
    Worked for CGI Federal in Lebanon, VA as a software developer. After about 3 years, I was transitioned into a development lead role. I worked on the Momentum product from 2010 to 2014.

--- Your Job Title ---
    I worked for CGI Federal in the Lebanon, VA location for roughly 4 years as a Consultant. Make no mistake, my job was nearly 100% development; C++, Java, SQL cleanup, a little perl here and there. Even so, my title was never referred to anything other than "Consultant", with management staying very noticeably away from any title associated with Software Developer, Software Engineer, etc. This title is specifically how upper management explained to me my low salary; you will be a Consultant. You will not be a Software Developer to them.

--- Your Work ---
    The product I worked on was massive - at the time of writing this, roughly 3 million lines of C++ (not counting comments, etc.). That's not a con at all, but is a necessary detail for this section. The very vast majority of your work, as a developer, will be closer to Applications Development than anything. There are rare occasions when you need to conceptualize anything sophisticated prior to beginning your development. By sophisticated I mean algorithmic - by and large, your work will likely consist of determining which 1 to 5 methods were left out of the original design, and then finding where to update/add those methods to the system; 90% of the time, these methods have already been written and you're literally copy/pasting function calls. After about a year, you may get the opportunity to implement new functionality into the system, but more times than not, this has already been designed for you by an architect, and it's simply up to you to write the code how they've already designed it.

--- Your Personal Growth ---
    The project doesn't lend itself well to innovation for two primary reasons: (1) It's a pretty big software, so innovative changes take time and (2) management.

(1)
    Let me be very clear on this part, because it is crucial for you to understand if you do take this position. Unless you go out of your way to contribute in new ways above and beyond your day-to-day expectations OR you are an avid hobby developer, continuing to do development outside of work, your development skills will not improve much at all past the first 1 or 2 years with this product. You will be doing a mixture of the same C++ and Java/J2EE development and debugging, every day. There likely won't be any *new* technology that you get to dabble with. There will be no new languages implemented that you get to gain experience in. The overarching theme of your resume will read: Development Experience: C++, Java/J2EE, SQL -- this is hard to accept, considering the demand for industry experience in more modern languages.

(2)
    After reading the above, you need to know this: Management doesn't care. You're a consultant. You're not a developer. And no, this is not me being vain; this is directly from 1-on-1 meetings I've had with management. Several developers (myself included) have been directly told that "CGI is not a software company.. we're a consulting company." We have recommended "innovation days" (think, hackathon); management thought the idea was ok, as long as the idea you work on was *profitable* in some way, and you can prove that upfront. You will be told by upper management that they value your growth as a developer. They don't. Your first few managers may tell you they care, and I believe that they genuinely do. The problem, and they will admit this to you if you ask, is that they have *very* limited authority to do anything about them.

--- Your Financial Growth ---
    Do your research. Don't trust what they tell you during your interview or recruiting session. Do. Your. Own. Research. They will tell you "$47,000 for a development position in this area is actually really good considering the cost of living." This is a lie. The cost of living for Lebanon, VA is rated at 93, roughly 7 points below the national average (100 being the average). Heck, the Fairfax rating is 143, and the starting salary for developers is less than $60,000! The average national salary for a software developer, straight out of college, is in the mid $70,000s. Remember: You are not a developer to them. You are a Consultant. Upper management told us directly that `we can not treat you like [developers from other companies] because we are a consulting company; not a software company`.

Raises are, frankly, pathetic. I started in 2010 at $41,000 -- after 4 solid years of work for the product, my base salary when I left was just over $46,500 (keep in mind here that I was "promoted" to a development lead in 2013, and was given no pay adjustment for it). When I left the company, NEW developers straight out of school were being brought in at $47,000 - $49,000. In other words, CGI started hiring college graduates at higher rates than myself and even developer who'd been with the company for 5+ years; what you start at, you need to be happy with that number +1-3%~ in yearly raises.

--- Your Benefits ---
    This section was only included for those of you who may be considering applying here, and haven't yet received a benefits brochure. The only important thing worth mentioning is healthcare; everything else is decent. If you have a family PLEASE read your healthcare package closely. As of writing this review, the annual deductible for family coverage was $7,000 -- and it's a high-deductible type plan; essentially you have ZERO COVERAGE until you pay $7,000 out of pocket.

--- Your Value ---
    I worked with a guy who was an exceptional developer, a technical lead, and the direct technical contact for one of our clients; he had been with CGI Federal for roughly 4.5 years when he told management he'd received another offer, but would be willing to stay if the counter offer was acceptable. Management DID NOT COUNTER. Management was vocal about the fact that this guy was an exceptional talent but they were unwilling to offer him ANY pay adjustment in order to keep him.

--- The Atmosphere ---
    When I left, it was a very poor morale overall. They will tell you "Our retention is high!" and "Our revolving-door is great!" This may well be true for the company as a whole. It is most certainly not true for the Momentum product. The retention percentage might be high, but it's a lousy method of tracking. I can count at least 7 people who've left in the past 2 years that easily account for over 60 years of combined experience. These are just the ones I know about.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis section doesn't matter; we have been painting the picture for the management team for over two years, and no one has listened. They're not going to listen to an online reviewer.

So I'm using this section instead as final comments. The culture is ok - you'll work with some really great people in Lebanon specifically. The management in Lebanon is superb, in fact. The problem is that the product is falling apart, and no one above your local first-level management team is going to legitimately care about your growth and compensation concerns. People are leaving left and right. This used to be a great place to work. Now, best case scenario, it's somewhere that you can get your feet wet in development outside of school - but please, don't stay for longer than a couple of years if you do accept an offer. And please do your own research; like any HR department, the recruiter's job is sell you on how amazing the company is. From a four-year developer, based out of the Lebanon, VA office let me assure you: it's barely mediocre.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!