CGI Group

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.0 1,250 reviews

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good(in 123 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements(in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance(in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth(in 37 reviews)

1,250 Employee Reviews

Its an OK startout company but move on after 2 years

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Lebanon, VA

Pros-Flexible Schedule for some teams
    -Work from home
    -good socials but not enough
    -work-life balance
    -Stock Options but everyone has them when the company is public and is profitable for the company
    -Really nice and helpful people, really smart too
    -lots of college hires
    -Profit Sharing, is a nice LITTLE bonus for christmas presents

Cons-Few growth opportunities
    -Terrible healthcare insurance 2K ded. for single plus a premium per pay check for maintaining insurance
    -TERRIBLE LOCATION
    -SUPER LOW SALARY, actual cost of living is around average which salaries dont reflect
    -NO HELP when trying to transfer offices after working for several years
    -TOO MANY Promises not enough action
    -Sometimes really boring projects not enough challenge
    -There is a gym also but the GYM sucks! i rather get a little money extra to pay for a membership
    -not enough perks

Advice to Senior Management-More Pay
    -Listen and help your employees
    -acknowledge your employees a little more, the monthly member recognition program doesnt really acknowledge everyone

An excellent company for "below average" people.

Executive Consultant (Former Employee)

Pros- It's a good company if you are not a very smart person and not fit for companies like IBM, Accenture, Google, etc.
    - Generous pay if you are white or worship big bosses

ConsCGI might be a great company, but following observations are based on my experiences in some of the US offices:
    - Treat "non white" employees as workers and will never give them senior management positions.
    - Most of the people are average or below average. They are not qualified to successfully deliver large custom software development projects.
    - Most of their success stories are on the projects where they were sub to companies like IBM and Accenture.
    - Some of the US offices are run like family owned businesses. Not very professional.
    - No a process oriented company. I think CGI is a CMMI level 3 company.
    - And many more when I compare CGI with similar companies.

Bottom line - Do not join CGI if you are a smart person and believe in innovation. Do not expect good salary raises and/ or promotion if you are not white or close to senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrequently visit US offices to learn how they are mismanaged.

Meh...

Applications Developer (Current Employee) Lebanon, VA

ProsGood for new college grads without a family to support.

ConsPay is significantly below the national average. The excuse is that cost of living is lower. The cost of living in the area is actually right at the national average.

Health insurance is crazy high. $7k deductible for a family.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease pay and you might be able to keep people from leaving after 1-3 years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not altogether bad but perhaps a bit behind the times and stuck in their ways

Web Developer (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible hours, company provides for travel and a computer, the occasional after hours events, some wonderful co-workers

ConsIn my experience, there just simply wasn't much interest in using newer technologies that could have benefited development and some people would get overloaded with responsibilities in order to make deadlines. Training sessions for proprietary technologies were informal and not particularly useful, but the technologies I dealt with didn't have a huge learning curve. Business analysts could have used more in depth training and this wasn't really recognized. A lot of people seemed to not be recognized for their efforts with promotions or raises as far as I could tell. There's also not much of a push to keep employees and I saw several employees quit just before me.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter, more comprehensive training sessions. More open communication about what's going on with projects. Lots of times development was held up by incomplete scope and missing information that managers probably should have taken some ownership for

Solid consulting firm from the top down that encourages employee ownership

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsCompetitive compensation package
    Flexible work environment
    Committed to work/life balance
    Excellent stock ownership plan

ConsLimited opportunity in Atlanta with regard to client projects (Mostly staff augmentation)
    Limited commitment to career growth
    Minimal employee engagement in CGI teams

Advice to Senior ManagementEach CGI VP should be accountable for establishing new client relationships above and beyond the status quo of existing clients in order to keep employees motivated. Also, each CGI office manager/VP should promote more teamwork that would further encourage employees to have a sense of belonging to CGI rather than their client. Employees need to feel like they don't just work for a "body shop."

Mediocre - feel they miss the boat quite often

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

Prosgood place to start your career, reasonable pay

Conslimited growth potential, poor reputation in the market

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great internal communication, not so great benefits

Technical Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsCompetitive pay. My manager is great and really cares about me as an employee. I feel valued. I am a full-time employee of CGI working for another company, which lets me have every other Friday off and work from home once a week. CGI doesn't mind at all, just as long as I'm happy and my client I'm working for is happy. There's also great communication from upper management about what's going on in the company and what they're working toward next.

ConsLast year the healthcare was wonderful, but they changed what they offer for 2014 and I was extremely unhappy. They also don't match much of anything toward retirement. I also don't see much room for growth/other opportunities within the company, but that may be subjective.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the communication, it's appreciated. The benefits to employees need attention, though.

Good company with solid foundations; a bit conservative at times, but solid

Vice President (Current Employee)

ProsSound principles and philosophy
    Flexibility
    Growth oriented

ConsSomewhat conservative about taking risks
    Should do more to establish thought leadership

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain the financial discipline, but be more open to calculated risks

Overall it was very good. THe last few years it defintiely deteriorated.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexibility, great stock purchase plan. Benefits are really good. Depending on your role and the group you are with you can advance your career pretty quickly but only if you are in certain groups.

ConsManagement in my particular group leaves something to be desired. 9 managers is 7 years was my personal experience. Other groups could have great management, it all depends where you end up.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like you want to be treated and be honest and upfront. If there is a performance issue, man-up and address it. Give the respect you want to get back.

Good company to work for

ProsGreat work life balance, good people to work with.

ConsLace of office makes it sometimes difficult to develop working relationships.

Advice to Senior Managementstay engaged with your employees

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!