CGI Group

CGI Group Reviews in Fairfax, VA

Updated Jul 8, 2014

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good(in 123 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements(in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance(in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth(in 37 reviews)

106 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Worked as one of the developers and enjoyed learning new technologies and getting opportunities

Senior Developer (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsSenior Management - very supportive. Interesting projects and great opportunities

ConsPay is less compared to the efforts put into almost any project. They get more work done with less pay and less people. However, if you are doing a really great job, they try to give you a reasonable offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management could have been better at making decisions ahead of time.

Good place to work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsDiverse work environment. Flexible with the work from home program.

ConsThe large size of the company makes it hard to get noticed and is also hard to get approvals because of the organization structure.

CGI Federal is a great place to work and has a great feel of people that work with you.

IT Asset Management Administrator (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsEveryone is looking to help. Great experience as an Intern.

ConsI haven't faced any big challenges yet, but if so I am ready for them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Alot of talk but little action!

Director (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsYou work with some wonderful people each and every day - smart, talented and caring!

ConsLeadership is lacking in every way
    VP Level managers or hold overs from AMS are overbearing, rude and not very smart. Account Managers or VP's that never leave their office and yet pretend to know what the client thinks - they give no credit to their teams and take commission

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider changing management or interviewing Director level folks to see what is truly going on.

Very dependent on project you are working on

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsOne project I worked on was very good with excellent people, great teamwork, and high morale even under extreme pressure. Everyone pulled together, good sharing of knowledge, and everyone worked hard to get the job done under extremely challenging conditions. Company worked hard to compensate for long hours by providing free lunches/dinners, and some extra compensation for long hours.

ConsA second project was the exact reverse of the first project. Claimed that schedule was tight, but often times when someone completed a task the technical lead had no new task to give them. One of several signs of extreme disorganization. This caused low morale, and several people leaving within a short period of time. Seemed to be split by new members of the project versus people who had been on the project for quite some time. New members often were not tasked well, and were not given enough chance to understand the business functions. Technical lead bad-mouthed some new members to others on the project, which got back to new members making them feel unappreciated and not being given proper chance. Management seemed not to care about this as long as work was getting done.

Consultant

Consultant (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGood place to start as college hires
    Reasonably big company to start

ConsHigh turn over rate
    The product has too much defect
    Understaffed with project
    Overtime give you flex time which you can't use

Helpdesk Support

Help Desk Support (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsI was able to work from home.

ConsThe turn over rate is bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that mangement should hire / promote people from within the company.

Flexible Work Environment

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGood work to life balance. Great flexibility depending on the project. CGI is really good for families with small children. Investors also love CGI. They have grown exponentially over the past 10 years.

ConsCompensation is something that some people complain about but I am not sure if that is due people's desire to be paid more or if CGI's compensation is a little below the industry average. My guess is both.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Mediocre - feel they miss the boat quite often

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

Prosgood place to start your career, reasonable pay

Conslimited growth potential, poor reputation in the market

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Sacrifices Pay for Flexibility

Consultant (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsFlexibility, Working from home, Work-Life Balance, Good first and third job in a career.

ConsRaises/bonuses are not great, Some people who work more and do better work are often paid the same as people who do less work and are lazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay good workers more money if you want them to stay with the company.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!