CGI Group

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.0 1,250 reviews

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good(in 123 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements(in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance(in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth(in 37 reviews)

1,250 Employee Reviews

Very positive experience at CGI Group recommend it without reservation.

ProsFlexible company, strong leaders, interesting work.

ConsExpectations of shareholder performance are high.

Great company

Consultant (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL

ProsWork/life balance, Flexible hours, Excellent benefits, 100% match Stock Purchase Plan and competitive salaries. Management has a true concern for the well being of the employees.

ConsNot much room for growth as a government contactor.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Laid back enviornment

Analyst (Current Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsPay is descent, benefits medium, good life and work balance allowance.

ConsMany team members are overworked and underpaid. Work assignments change frequently for hourly team members.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to team members feedback, good/bad or indifferent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No real room for advancement, great first job out of college

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Depending on the project, really great people to work with
    - Great first job out of college that provides you with skills needed in consulting world
    - Pretty good work-life balance
    - Loved the Share Purchase Plan

Cons- Salary is below average. If you are a rockstar and perform well year after year, your yearly raise will still be very low. This provides no real incentive to be a really great performer. Even if you ask for more money and point out the reasons behind it, your increase has already been determined before your salary conversation. If you are in a client-facing position, you have a little more room for negotiation.
    - Depending on where you are located will determine your growth opportunities. If you are not in one of the major metropolitan areas (DC Metro for example), then you will not have a lot of career advancement opportunities. The COE's/OSD's do not provide any growth opportunity unless a senior member moves.

Advice to Senior Management- Try to be more invested in your people. The philosophy is based around an equal focus on clients, members and shareholders. In the past 6 months-year, the focus that should be on the members has completely disappeared.
    - With all of the recent acquisitions over the past few years, you should really work to integrate new members into the CGI culture and be more communicative on changes coming.
    - Bring back the STAR awards. They weren't that big of a deal, but it was nice that there was a recognition program in place for your average employee. With the new model, it's as though only 4 or 5 people get recognized in a company of 69,000+ members.

Overall decent first job

ProsProject depending, there can be a lot of flexibility and, given that this is a large company, lateral mobility is possible. Team size varies but the small teams are vey tight-knit and is a nice transition from a collegiate atmosphere.

ConsRecruiters can be misleading and the business analyst position job description is wildly vague. Moreover, the actual role can vary drastically and it is near impossibly for a new graduate to anticipate what he/she will actually do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency regarding job descriptions and roles maybe lessen high turnover rate.

Values Proposals over Delivery

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThere are still a few good technical people left. Convenient work locations.

ConsThe best people eventually went elsewhere. Winning a contract seems to be valued more than strong delivery. Nobody pushed back on the customer, which caused severe hardship on the technical staff and a system that did not work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease provide a technical career track for those who keep up with best practices in architecture, design, and implementation.

Awesome Company

Unix Systems Administrative (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsGreat place to work. Awesome Pay

ConsGrowth within the company. No leadership opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider growth

Good Company

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood place to get a start in your career.

ConsNot a great place for career growth.

Worked as one of the developers and enjoyed learning new technologies and getting opportunities

Senior Developer (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsSenior Management - very supportive. Interesting projects and great opportunities

ConsPay is less compared to the efforts put into almost any project. They get more work done with less pay and less people. However, if you are doing a really great job, they try to give you a reasonable offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management could have been better at making decisions ahead of time.

Good money, MEH employer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood salary for my position, corporate profit sharing and benefits are good. I split work between 50% home / 50% in suburban location based on my activity. Large company trying to do well for upper tier employees that are not direct bill to clients. Very international flavor, as French Canadian HQ with large US and European operations.

ConsLower tier employees treated like Kleenex; used and then disposed of. I see lots of new grad's used hard while probably being paid at very low end of spectrum. This is typical of Services company which needs to sell staff cheaply to maintain corporate margins. Staff are quickly cut when then are not billable. My experience is they have very inconsistent personnel quality in sales & business development.

Very distinct left wing political atmosphere.

Work swings widely between extreme overload and nothing. Work forty days straight, then not anything new for two weeks. In almost to years there, I have never had my manager stop by and talk with me one-on-one about anything. Contacts have been 10 word email instructions to engage someone on a task and a 10 minute mandatory annual review. In my group, no sense of team or bond. leading to lots of hiding when work is passed out.

Advice to Senior ManagementInternal disorganization and political empire building are costing contracts and business. Stop relying so heavily on political cronies for US Federal business. You have the most incompetent IT department I've seen in 25+ years in IT.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!