CGI Group Reviews

1,372 Reviews
1,372 Reviews

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach
Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good (in 140 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Consultant- Good

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at CGI Group full-time

Pros

Quick one day interviews. One group, and 2 one on ones

Cons

Interviewers didnt paint a good picture of what the job duties entail.

Flexible working hours and great people

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for more than 15 plus yrs. Started when we were AMS. CGI bought AMS so most people I worked with were from the AMS days. We carried the AMS culture with us. Friendly and helpful colleagues. Flexible working hours. Able to work from home when needed.

Cons

Bad pay hike. Standard has been 3%. Insurance has been bad this year. No personal growth. Nobody cares what you want to do. It is where you are needed is where you get placed.

high school all over again

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at CGI Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

not much . management is so disorganized , if you just keep quiet and fly under the radar you can earn a paycheck with doing very little actual work; like what happened on the healthcare debacle.

Cons

management is filled with people who really dont know what they are doing. Thye get the job because they are yes-men , brown nosers to whoever gives them the job. It is very cliqueish and almost just like a high school scoial scene....

yuck.

quit.

stay no more than 1 year

Former Employee - Consultant in Troy, AL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Troy, AL

I worked at CGI Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

could be working for big client, which is good for you resume

Cons

low pay, no smart people around

Good Company for Recent Graduates

Current Employee - Consultant in Belton, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Belton, TX

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

CGI is a good place to get your foot in the door in the IT industry, and gain much needed experience and exposure. Depending on the project you are placed on will be the real determining factor in your job satisfaction. I love my team and almost everyone in my office. The management has an open door policy and are fully welcoming of questions and concerns.

Cons

Project placement, you really don't have a say, and it can be good or bad. Always try to negotiate a higher starting salary, add +$5k more to your original number. Little direction and communication from management of new opportunities.

Keep your members updated on future projects and allow them more options when available.

Not a long term opportunity

Current Employee - Consultant in Lebanon, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Lebanon, VA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours in the SWVA office. Somewhat flexible dress code.

Decent pay for the area. This may change frequently though, so try to negotiate for something more if you get an offer. You should aim for a minimum of 40k if you are applying for a technical position. Not sure about others.

It's hard to get fired. You have to go through a lengthy process if you aren't performing well before they can fire you. Or, you have to do something very inappropriate. They can lay you off if they don't have work for you, but that has only happened recently, and it's pretty rare.

It's a great starting position to get your resume started. The interview to get in is easy. You'll learn industry appropriate skills for the first year to three years.

If coasting along is your thing, you can probably find a team that will let you. You can get away with not doing very much work if you know what you're doing. Make sure to find the right team lead that will not care as much.

Cons

This is essentially an entry level company. There are few opportunities beyond your first 1-3 years that will let you grow professionally.

Training is virtually non-existent, and poorly executed. You are on your own. The good news is there are a lot of employees who have figured things out and they are friendly and will help you through the basics.
    Salary increase is per year and is capped around 2%.

Health benefits were gutted this year 2014, and although they are similar to other companies in the area, for the tech industry they are really bad. As an individual you will have a 5k deductible, and you pay full price on everything up to 4k. Dental is still covered for 2 cleanings, and vision is covered for a certain amount towards glasses and contacts per year. Just don't be surprised if your 30$ a month meds suddenly jump to $700 a month until you hit your 4k for the year. For families this is higher.

Vacation went from 4 weeks to 3 weeks for starting employees. The only way to get extra is to impress the higher ups enough to promote you to "senior consultant". Depending on your position, this ranges from hard to impossible. You still get holidays however.

The work load, depending on your team, can range from 40 hours a week, to enormous (I was working 80 a week because management misjudged the amount of work they gave me). I am on a different team now and I am required to work no more than 40 hours per week, so comp and flex time can't be accrued. There's good and bad for either scenario, but I prefer where I am now because when working 80 hours a week I was capped on vacation, comp, and flex every week and couldn't even use it for 6 months.

Regarding all the above, the employees give annual reviews about their satisfaction and this year 2014, the reviews were very very bad. The management addressed this by saying we needed to be "educated" better about our benefits, and that we were essentially wrong for being upset. Once the salary cap set in, the benefits were gutted, and this statement from management was sent out, people started jumping ship, at least one person per week. The turnover for 2014 has been pretty extreme. People with experience in the company are finding better jobs easily. My suggestion is if you get a position here, immediately start looking at other opportunities within the industry to keep your options open so you can jump ship too once you find something better that might require experience.

The building is over-crowded so half the office has to work from home, or is on a schedule of in the office 2-3 days a week.

The management advocates moving to fairfax/DC area, but the salary increase for cost of living is minimal, and most people that move get so little money they can barely eat. If they manage to move back to SWVA, they are typically at the top of the list for getting laid off, since they make more than everyone else in the area.

Good learning experience.

Current Employee - Manager in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Stamford, CT

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Too Many senior people in the team.

Cons

Too Many senior people in the team.

Put people first.

CGI Consulting

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Team dynamics are great and flexible hours

Cons

Salary is not commensurate to the market. There was not a clear structure or guideline on how your performance tied with your pay. Not enough transparency in how annual pay raises were calculated. Very little to no training provided to invest in employees career progression.

Getting the Right Project to work on is Key

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and WFH (as long as you have the right project). Great people in suburban location close to home.

Cons

You can get rolled off a project at any time. The company will only give you 2 weeks to find another project. If you cannot find one - then you are sent packing. There are certain people who have been on projects for 9 years and others are never given a chance because the management keeps rolling them off and on projects.

Other cons include training - CGI is not good about certification for it's current workforce - so don't expect any decent training opportunities.

Make sure that all benefits are offered across the board. Stop rolling the same people off of projects all the time and give them a chance to succeed.

There are too many Directors - there are Directors who have no reports - sometimes the company seems a little top heavy.

Great people and place to build a career

Current Employee - Executive Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Executive Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CGI is a large company with a small company feel, despite its 80k employees, 11B US in revenue, and presence in 42 countries. CGI provides a diverse opportunity across many industries. At its core, CGI's focus on corporate membership, its people, and corporate culture are what keeps me here, and loyal to the company.

Cons

Compensation is average, with bonus structures relatively modest. Benefits are good, but closely aligned to the ACA.