CGI Group Reviews

1,369 Reviews
1,369 Reviews

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach
Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good (in 140 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people and place to build a career

Current Employee - Executive Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Executive Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

CGI is a large company with a small company feel, despite its 80k employees, 11B US in revenue, and presence in 42 countries. CGI provides a diverse opportunity across many industries. At its core, CGI's focus on corporate membership, its people, and corporate culture are what keeps me here, and loyal to the company.

Cons

Compensation is average, with bonus structures relatively modest. Benefits are good, but closely aligned to the ACA.

Awesome Experience so far!!!

Current Employee - Senior IT Consultant in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Senior IT Consultant in Columbia, SC

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is huge potential for the personal growth within CGI. Management usually pays lot of attention towards personal growth as it falls under their one of the pillars - Member, Client and Stakeholder.

Definitely a company to look forward if you want to be associated for a long period.

Share Purchase Plan of the company adds value to the member.

Cons

The salary package usually offered is not up to the par.

My time at CGI has been a great experience. Colleagues and management are all great and helpful.

Current Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work-Life is great. Depending on what project you're on there's flexibility in what time you come in and leave. As long as you're getting your work done you can definitely fly under the radar!

Cons

I can't say there are many cons working at CGI it has been a great experience.

CGI is a good place.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lebanon, VA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lebanon, VA

I worked at CGI Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Managers were humans not robots. Very friendly people. Very minimal oversight or micromanaging. Great room to move up or laterally, provided you are willing to work for it.

Cons

Training was severely lacking. I had to practically beg to be taught how to do stuff so i wasn't just sitting there all day. It was more of everyone else was busy and they didn't want to take the time to teach it. More often than not i would ask for help and they would just do it for me rather than teach me. I'd have to ask for the details so I could do it on my own.

Very minimal micro managing and oversight makes slacking off easy and others slacking may slow you down because you are waiting on them for information.

Pay is just ok. I took less than the average but only because I was promised work from home after 6 months to a year.

Train the new people.. properly. Don't just slap someone new with a SME and say: "Go! Learn!" my "buddy" was a terrible analyst and his "training" was go here look at this (points) then go here (points). It was so ambiguous and i had no idea what we were doing. He taught me the solution to each problem and not the concepts. After I taught my self it was much better.

Get less than you put in

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at CGI Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They will give the opportunity to enter consulting industry and learn a marketable skill. You will also learn to appreciate other employees better.

Cons

The company does not really care about employees and many employees do not care for the company. They will invest and compensate people as little as possible while having unreasonable expectations with little growth opportunity. It's a judgemental cutthroat environment, as management likes to quickly pass blame on subordinates, other managers and even clients. Management has integrity issues and may ask employees to lie.

Try finding better quality people to manage your projects. You have self serving managers on payroll who are not working on or off site, and you also have employees doing side work for other consulting companies.

Happy but "Hire-and-fire" policy in effect

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Remote work, salary and benefits.

Cons

Management /supervisors have a 100% power to fire anyone in their team. Race is a factor here!

Please work on the work and not on "who is who on background!" That way, you don't lose your contracts like say the ACA's Healcth Exchange or Obamacare and the Dept of Commerce! Racist managers are well known but "overlooked" by your superiors. Company could be sued for "Overlooking!"

Good benefits, but management really doesn't know the employees

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are on par or better than most companies. Being able to roll a prior company 401(k) plan into CGI Federal's was a big plus for me. Super large company, so plenty of room for advancement or change, especially if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Managers speak leadership, but rarely exhibit it. Communication is disjointed and usually only from the top down. Internal sites require multiple log ins, which make it tedious to do routine tasks or complete annual training requirements.

Walk the walk in addition to talking the talk on leadership. Communicate openly with employees about current and planned operations.

Life at CGI

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good life and work balance. In-house leadership is very laid back. Promotions for non-exempt is better than other companies if one works hard.

Cons

Non exempt are pushed to the limit thus introducing high turn-over. Insurance offered is not the best for company this large. Communication is somewhat vague or lack of for exempt folks.

Communicate with mid-level exempt staff of upcoming changes.

Dysfunctional

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and Profit Sharing, location, great pay

Cons

Can not win government contracts!

It's the people that make the difference

Current Employee - Shared Services
    Current Employee - Shared Services

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

On the whole the main benefit is the ability to work alongside some great folks, especially those from ex-Logica. Great bunch of people, happy to help and share at all times. Opportunities to work remotely exist, although more recently there is a push from senior management to bring people back into offices.

Cons

Middle and top management do nothing to inspire. Constant changes to the business structure only serve to reinforce the feelings that executive management have no clear vision or strategy for taking the business forward.