CGI Group Reviews

1,326 Reviews
1,326 Reviews

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach
Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good (in 126 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Laid back enviornment

Current Employee - Analyst  in  San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is descent, benefits medium, good life and work balance allowance.

Cons

Many team members are overworked and underpaid. Work assignments change frequently for hourly team members.

Listen to team members feedback, good/bad or indifferent.

Good company

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at CGI Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

'Onboarding' was intense...which is good. Lots of information for the new employee. Time was provided to complete the training.

Cons

You may get on an account which is struggling to establish itself. If so, be prepared for ambiguity.

Keep up the visibility with the employees. That was a good thing!

No real room for advancement, great first job out of college

I worked at CGI Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Depending on the project, really great people to work with
    - Great first job out of college that provides you with skills needed in consulting world
    - Pretty good work-life balance
    - Loved the Share Purchase Plan

Cons

- Salary is below average. If you are a rockstar and perform well year after year, your yearly raise will still be very low. This provides no real incentive to be a really great performer. Even if you ask for more money and point out the reasons behind it, your increase has already been determined before your salary conversation. If you are in a client-facing position, you have a little more room for negotiation.
    - Depending on where you are located will determine your growth opportunities. If you are not in one of the major metropolitan areas (DC Metro for example), then you will not have a lot of career advancement opportunities. The COE's/OSD's do not provide any growth opportunity unless a senior member moves.

- Try to be more invested in your people. The philosophy is based around an equal focus on clients, members and shareholders. In the past 6 months-year, the focus that should be on the members has completely disappeared.
    - With all of the recent acquisitions over the past few years, you should really work to integrate new members into the CGI culture and be more communicative on changes coming.
    - Bring back the STAR awards. They weren't that big of a deal, but it was nice that there was a recognition program in place for your average employee. With the new model, it's as though only 4 or 5 people get recognized in a company of 69,000+ members.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good money, MEH employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary for my position, corporate profit sharing and benefits are good. I split work between 50% home / 50% in suburban location based on my activity. Large company trying to do well for upper tier employees that are not direct bill to clients. Very international flavor, as French Canadian HQ with large US and European operations.

Cons

Lower tier employees treated like Kleenex; used and then disposed of. I see lots of new grad's used hard while probably being paid at very low end of spectrum. This is typical of Services company which needs to sell staff cheaply to maintain corporate margins. Staff are quickly cut when then are not billable. My experience is they have very inconsistent personnel quality in sales & business development.

Very distinct left wing political atmosphere.

Work swings widely between extreme overload and nothing. Work forty days straight, then not anything new for two weeks. In almost to years there, I have never had my manager stop by and talk with me one-on-one about anything. Contacts have been 10 word email instructions to engage someone on a task and a 10 minute mandatory annual review. In my group, no sense of team or bond. leading to lots of hiding when work is passed out.

Internal disorganization and political empire building are costing contracts and business. Stop relying so heavily on political cronies for US Federal business. You have the most incompetent IT department I've seen in 25+ years in IT.

Overall decent first job

I have been working at CGI Group

Pros

Project depending, there can be a lot of flexibility and, given that this is a large company, lateral mobility is possible. Team size varies but the small teams are vey tight-knit and is a nice transition from a collegiate atmosphere.

Cons

Recruiters can be misleading and the business analyst position job description is wildly vague. Moreover, the actual role can vary drastically and it is near impossibly for a new graduate to anticipate what he/she will actually do.

Transparency regarding job descriptions and roles maybe lessen high turnover rate.

Values Proposals over Delivery

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at CGI Group

Pros

There are still a few good technical people left. Convenient work locations.

Cons

The best people eventually went elsewhere. Winning a contract seems to be valued more than strong delivery. Nobody pushed back on the customer, which caused severe hardship on the technical staff and a system that did not work.

Please provide a technical career track for those who keep up with best practices in architecture, design, and implementation.

Good Company

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place to get a start in your career.

Cons

Not a great place for career growth.

Alot of talk but little action!

Former Employee - Director  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Director in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

You work with some wonderful people each and every day - smart, talented and caring!

Cons

Leadership is lacking in every way
    VP Level managers or hold overs from AMS are overbearing, rude and not very smart. Account Managers or VP's that never leave their office and yet pretend to know what the client thinks - they give no credit to their teams and take commission

Consider changing management or interviewing Director level folks to see what is truly going on.

the management are full of lies and deception

Former Employee - Collections Representative  in  Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Bedford, TX

I worked at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

collections experience is all I can say is a pro

Cons

management advised me that I qualify for fmla due to my mother having terminal cancer in the late stages pretending to care about me and my situation I got the paperwork in to them immediately and then was fired for taking my vacation time I'd earned on days that I had to tend to my mother for Dr's appointments which they informed me to do in the first place because they "cared" keep in mind I was #1 or #2 on the scorecard every month I received bonus (that were nearly a joke compared to the hundred of thousand dollars i collected) all but one month from the time I was hired because of the high amount of money I collected

the management are liars and fake we are just a joke to them

A job, not a career

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CGI is a great place to get that first 2 years of experience, or if you no longer care about your career and just want a pay check. I have found CGI mostly flexible on work/life balance.

Cons

This company doesn't provide any opportunity for career, or skill, growth making it almost impossible to stay here long term. The pay is substandard and they try very hard to keep the salaries low for the employees. A big problem is the lack of employment stability, once your project is over they will bench you and give you 10 days to find another position. If you can't they lay you off. At CGI Federal if your not in Fairfax your treated very poorly, no input into projects.

Stop treating your employees as being easily acquired and disposed of.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!