CGI Group Reviews

1,369 Reviews
1,369 Reviews

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach
Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good (in 140 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Great environment to work in.

I have been working at CGI Group

Pros

Very flexible hours.
    Great management.
    Numerous areas for professional growth.

Cons

There are no Cons to speak of

Great people, good first opportunity

Former Employee - Consultant in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Andover, MA

I worked at CGI Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training good, management good, good growth, learned a lot, enjoyed my time there, it was a good first company to wok for.

Cons

Company is much smaller now, more offsite work, it's been a while since I was there, not sure I know much about it right now.

Nothing

CG artists

Former Employee - CG in New York, NY
    Former Employee - CG in New York, NY

I worked at CGI Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was good practice to get back into CG industry.

Cons

Not many cons that I can say, the environment was good, the place was nice and people are friendly.

CGI is great

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and diverse systems

Cons

disorganization among policy and systems

CGI Federal is a great place to work and has a great feel of people that work with you.

Current Employee - IT Asset Management Administrator in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - IT Asset Management Administrator in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI Group as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is looking to help. Great experience as an Intern.

Cons

I haven't faced any big challenges yet, but if so I am ready for them.

Laid back enviornment

Current Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is descent, benefits medium, good life and work balance allowance.

Cons

Many team members are overworked and underpaid. Work assignments change frequently for hourly team members.

Listen to team members feedback, good/bad or indifferent.

Good money, MEH employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at CGI Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary for my position, corporate profit sharing and benefits are good. I split work between 50% home / 50% in suburban location based on my activity. Large company trying to do well for upper tier employees that are not direct bill to clients. Very international flavor, as French Canadian HQ with large US and European operations.

Cons

Lower tier employees treated like Kleenex; used and then disposed of. I see lots of new grad's used hard while probably being paid at very low end of spectrum. This is typical of Services company which needs to sell staff cheaply to maintain corporate margins. Staff are quickly cut when then are not billable. My experience is they have very inconsistent personnel quality in sales & business development.

Very distinct left wing political atmosphere.

Work swings widely between extreme overload and nothing. Work forty days straight, then not anything new for two weeks. In almost to years there, I have never had my manager stop by and talk with me one-on-one about anything. Contacts have been 10 word email instructions to engage someone on a task and a 10 minute mandatory annual review. In my group, no sense of team or bond. leading to lots of hiding when work is passed out.

Internal disorganization and political empire building are costing contracts and business. Stop relying so heavily on political cronies for US Federal business. You have the most incompetent IT department I've seen in 25+ years in IT.

No real room for advancement, great first job out of college

I worked at CGI Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Depending on the project, really great people to work with
    - Great first job out of college that provides you with skills needed in consulting world
    - Pretty good work-life balance
    - Loved the Share Purchase Plan

Cons

- Salary is below average. If you are a rockstar and perform well year after year, your yearly raise will still be very low. This provides no real incentive to be a really great performer. Even if you ask for more money and point out the reasons behind it, your increase has already been determined before your salary conversation. If you are in a client-facing position, you have a little more room for negotiation.
    - Depending on where you are located will determine your growth opportunities. If you are not in one of the major metropolitan areas (DC Metro for example), then you will not have a lot of career advancement opportunities. The COE's/OSD's do not provide any growth opportunity unless a senior member moves.

- Try to be more invested in your people. The philosophy is based around an equal focus on clients, members and shareholders. In the past 6 months-year, the focus that should be on the members has completely disappeared.
    - With all of the recent acquisitions over the past few years, you should really work to integrate new members into the CGI culture and be more communicative on changes coming.
    - Bring back the STAR awards. They weren't that big of a deal, but it was nice that there was a recognition program in place for your average employee. With the new model, it's as though only 4 or 5 people get recognized in a company of 69,000+ members.

Overall decent first job

I have been working at CGI Group

Pros

Project depending, there can be a lot of flexibility and, given that this is a large company, lateral mobility is possible. Team size varies but the small teams are vey tight-knit and is a nice transition from a collegiate atmosphere.

Cons

Recruiters can be misleading and the business analyst position job description is wildly vague. Moreover, the actual role can vary drastically and it is near impossibly for a new graduate to anticipate what he/she will actually do.

Transparency regarding job descriptions and roles maybe lessen high turnover rate.

Values Proposals over Delivery

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at CGI Group

Pros

There are still a few good technical people left. Convenient work locations.

Cons

The best people eventually went elsewhere. Winning a contract seems to be valued more than strong delivery. Nobody pushed back on the customer, which caused severe hardship on the technical staff and a system that did not work.

Please provide a technical career track for those who keep up with best practices in architecture, design, and implementation.