CGI Group Reviews

1,320 Reviews
1,320 Reviews

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach
Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good (in 126 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place for gaining experience

Current Employee - IT Consultant  in  Troy, AL
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Troy, AL

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits, tons of different opportunities, good management that really care about member satisfaction, great training program that allows new members to ease into new positions

Cons

The center of excellence where i work is in Troy, Alabama. This is obviously not a great place to be for people who are right out of college. Also, the pay is not great. Having an office in rural areas such as
    Troy means they can pay employees less.

CGI as a whole is a good company to work for. With the right skills and drive, advancement is readily available.

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Share-Purchase Program (stock buy-in). Internal promotions are encouraged and available frequently.

Cons

Lower salary than industry standards for most positions.

At least raise the salary for IT positions to the normal range for similar functions (generally 20-30% below norm).

After 1 and a half years there isn't much to complain about.

Current Employee - Database Manager  in  Fort Irwin, CA
    Current Employee - Database Manager in Fort Irwin, CA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is good. Vacation time is more than n other companies that I have worked for.

Cons

Too many annual training requirement that are not related to work being done or level of employment.

Communicate with employees more. I work in a remote location and very rarely hear from management. Which is good and bad.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

BA

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

A Very good working environment

Cons

There are no cons yet in my experience.

none

An ok JOB not a CAREER.

Current Employee - Group Leader  in  Lawton, OK
    Current Employee - Group Leader in Lawton, OK

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Speaking specifically about the Lawton office:
    The share purchase plan is nice.
    The salaries are ok for the region but well below industry averages.

Cons

No one at this office knows what is going on. Guidance regarding corporate procedures changes daily. Our HR reps are in Huntsville, AL they come out once a year give us a company line then when you ask questions they leave with a promise to get back to you but never take your contact info.
    They cherry pick their favorite sections and will over hire positions in sections that don't deem worthy until jobs open up in other areas and then move people around. This leaves the "step-child" sections consistently short handed and unable to function properly.
    It is contract work, so you could be let go at any moment. A fact that management seems to delight in reminding us on an almost daily basis. The last time our contract was cut we received less that 2 weeks notice before they started laying everyone off. Then 2 months later, when funds were back but everyone who had been laid off found other work, they griped and dared to call anyone that wouldn't come back a "soulless traitor"
    My advice is if you are in the Lawton area and want a decent paying short term job to earn some experience the mismanagement can be tolerated short term then you can move on. If you are looking for a caring, open company to work at long term pass this one up.

Try getting out to the Lawton office more than 1-2 times a year. Take a good hard look at what is going on.

Most horrible company to work

I have been working at CGI Group

Pros

No pros seriously to work for CGI

Cons

- extremely strict with 3 weeks bench and the HR doses not even help to find a project . Once the project ends, it I'd like finding a new job.

Please shut down if you have no projects

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a lot of diversity, but this may be a con at some point. The company is large so you can move around, and it seems like this is encouraged, but seems to rarely happen outside of a BU.

Cons

Poor management and career path development. Pay is not competitive, retention does not seem to be key, but the need for experience is great. Brown nosing should be frowned upon, but it seems to be encouraged, and micro managing is a daily way of life.

let the talent and people who do the work do the work, and stop creating all these managerial hoops to jump through. If you don't understand the actual work don't insert yourself, there is plenty for you to do.

Senior Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at CGI Group full-time

Pros

Good people, good office location, Flexible hours

Cons

depends of the project. Communication needs to improve

Very dependent on project you are working on

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

One project I worked on was very good with excellent people, great teamwork, and high morale even under extreme pressure. Everyone pulled together, good sharing of knowledge, and everyone worked hard to get the job done under extremely challenging conditions. Company worked hard to compensate for long hours by providing free lunches/dinners, and some extra compensation for long hours.

Cons

A second project was the exact reverse of the first project. Claimed that schedule was tight, but often times when someone completed a task the technical lead had no new task to give them. One of several signs of extreme disorganization. This caused low morale, and several people leaving within a short period of time. Seemed to be split by new members of the project versus people who had been on the project for quite some time. New members often were not tasked well, and were not given enough chance to understand the business functions. Technical lead bad-mouthed some new members to others on the project, which got back to new members making them feel unappreciated and not being given proper chance. Management seemed not to care about this as long as work was getting done.

Good, but not great

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good people
    decent pay
    good work life balance

Cons

No growth
    micro managing managers
    lack of trust from upper management

Help your employees out by delegating items to upcoming employees. They need to learn and grow. Upper mgt would just take the tasks and not relinquish some responsibilities because of their lack in trust in people.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!