CGI Group Reviews in Virginia

1,317 Reviews
1,317 Reviews

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach
Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good (in 126 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance (in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

156 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My time at CGI has been a great experience. Colleagues and management are all great and helpful.

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-Life is great. Depending on what project you're on there's flexibility in what time you come in and leave. As long as you're getting your work done you can definitely fly under the radar!

Cons

I can't say there are many cons working at CGI it has been a great experience.

CGI Consulting

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Team dynamics are great and flexible hours

Cons

Salary is not commensurate to the market. There was not a clear structure or guideline on how your performance tied with your pay. Not enough transparency in how annual pay raises were calculated. Very little to no training provided to invest in employees career progression.

Not a long term opportunity

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Lebanon, VA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Lebanon, VA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very flexible hours in the SWVA office. Somewhat flexible dress code.

Decent pay for the area. This may change frequently though, so try to negotiate for something more if you get an offer. You should aim for a minimum of 40k if you are applying for a technical position. Not sure about others.

It's hard to get fired. You have to go through a lengthy process if you aren't performing well before they can fire you. Or, you have to do something very inappropriate. They can lay you off if they don't have work for you, but that has only happened recently, and it's pretty rare.

It's a great starting position to get your resume started. The interview to get in is easy. You'll learn industry appropriate skills for the first year to three years.

If coasting along is your thing, you can probably find a team that will let you. You can get away with not doing very much work if you know what you're doing. Make sure to find the right team lead that will not care as much.

Cons

This is essentially an entry level company. There are few opportunities beyond your first 1-3 years that will let you grow professionally.

Training is virtually non-existent, and poorly executed. You are on your own. The good news is there are a lot of employees who have figured things out and they are friendly and will help you through the basics.
    Salary increase is per year and is capped around 2%.

Health benefits were gutted this year 2014, and although they are similar to other companies in the area, for the tech industry they are really bad. As an individual you will have a 5k deductible, and you pay full price on everything up to 4k. Dental is still covered for 2 cleanings, and vision is covered for a certain amount towards glasses and contacts per year. Just don't be surprised if your 30$ a month meds suddenly jump to $700 a month until you hit your 4k for the year. For families this is higher.

Vacation went from 4 weeks to 3 weeks for starting employees. The only way to get extra is to impress the higher ups enough to promote you to "senior consultant". Depending on your position, this ranges from hard to impossible. You still get holidays however.

The work load, depending on your team, can range from 40 hours a week, to enormous (I was working 80 a week because management misjudged the amount of work they gave me). I am on a different team now and I am required to work no more than 40 hours per week, so comp and flex time can't be accrued. There's good and bad for either scenario, but I prefer where I am now because when working 80 hours a week I was capped on vacation, comp, and flex every week and couldn't even use it for 6 months.

Regarding all the above, the employees give annual reviews about their satisfaction and this year 2014, the reviews were very very bad. The management addressed this by saying we needed to be "educated" better about our benefits, and that we were essentially wrong for being upset. Once the salary cap set in, the benefits were gutted, and this statement from management was sent out, people started jumping ship, at least one person per week. The turnover for 2014 has been pretty extreme. People with experience in the company are finding better jobs easily. My suggestion is if you get a position here, immediately start looking at other opportunities within the industry to keep your options open so you can jump ship too once you find something better that might require experience.

The building is over-crowded so half the office has to work from home, or is on a schedule of in the office 2-3 days a week.

The management advocates moving to fairfax/DC area, but the salary increase for cost of living is minimal, and most people that move get so little money they can barely eat. If they manage to move back to SWVA, they are typically at the top of the list for getting laid off, since they make more than everyone else in the area.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CGI is a good place.

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Lebanon, VA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lebanon, VA

I worked at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance. Managers were humans not robots. Very friendly people. Very minimal oversight or micromanaging. Great room to move up or laterally, provided you are willing to work for it.

Cons

Training was severely lacking. I had to practically beg to be taught how to do stuff so i wasn't just sitting there all day. It was more of everyone else was busy and they didn't want to take the time to teach it. More often than not i would ask for help and they would just do it for me rather than teach me. I'd have to ask for the details so I could do it on my own.

Very minimal micro managing and oversight makes slacking off easy and others slacking may slow you down because you are waiting on them for information.

Pay is just ok. I took less than the average but only because I was promised work from home after 6 months to a year.

Train the new people.. properly. Don't just slap someone new with a SME and say: "Go! Learn!" my "buddy" was a terrible analyst and his "training" was go here look at this (points) then go here (points). It was so ambiguous and i had no idea what we were doing. He taught me the solution to each problem and not the concepts. After I taught my self it was much better.

Happy but "Hire-and-fire" policy in effect

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Remote work, salary and benefits.

Cons

Management /supervisors have a 100% power to fire anyone in their team. Race is a factor here!

Please work on the work and not on "who is who on background!" That way, you don't lose your contracts like say the ACA's Healcth Exchange or Obamacare and the Dept of Commerce! Racist managers are well known but "overlooked" by your superiors. Company could be sued for "Overlooking!"

Worked as one of the developers and enjoyed learning new technologies and getting opportunities

Former Employee - Senior Developer  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Developer in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Senior Management - very supportive. Interesting projects and great opportunities

Cons

Pay is less compared to the efforts put into almost any project. They get more work done with less pay and less people. However, if you are doing a really great job, they try to give you a reasonable offer.

Upper management could have been better at making decisions ahead of time.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diverse work environment. Flexible with the work from home program.

Cons

The large size of the company makes it hard to get noticed and is also hard to get approvals because of the organization structure.

Excellet company to work for

Current Employee - Systems Architect  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Architect in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company to work for. Colleagues are largely friendly and helpful. Some program managers could be unhelpful as far as dealing with the clients go.

Cons

Company took a PR hit because of the ACA website fiasco.

More support for employees who are working for Government clients

CGI Federal is a great place to work and has a great feel of people that work with you.

Current Employee - IT Asset Management Administrator  in  Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - IT Asset Management Administrator in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI Group as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is looking to help. Great experience as an Intern.

Cons

I haven't faced any big challenges yet, but if so I am ready for them.

Values Proposals over Delivery

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at CGI Group

Pros

There are still a few good technical people left. Convenient work locations.

Cons

The best people eventually went elsewhere. Winning a contract seems to be valued more than strong delivery. Nobody pushed back on the customer, which caused severe hardship on the technical staff and a system that did not work.

Please provide a technical career track for those who keep up with best practices in architecture, design, and implementation.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!