CGI Group

CGI Group Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 12, 2014

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good(in 123 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements(in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance(in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth(in 37 reviews)

146 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ok - Typical federal government IT Shop

Manager Consulting (Current Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsSalary and ok benefits, Location, Steady job.

ConsTypical Federal contracting job. Mediocre talent.. Too many managers... Lack of opportunities.. Brand affected by health exchange fiasco at Federal and State levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to grow business, focus on hiring the right tech talent. Having too many incompetent managers in charge of prestigious projects, and hiring incompetent people is not the way to be successful

Could be better

Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsNice people to work with especially college graduates, flexible hours and easy to take off.

ConsThere are good opportunities to work on different client projects, however f you are trying to move up in the company, forget it. Promotions are only for management favorites and management themselves. The salary and annual increases are not competitive as they should be aligned with the industry. Poor execution of talent and projects and turn over rate is slowly rising

Advice to Senior ManagementNone because they will not listen

Not a good place to work folks

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsNothing I can tell much about, I worked as a contractor for 2 years

ConsHorrible managers and the treatment to contractors is one of the worst that I have encountered in my 13 years of IT experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you can't manage please take some courses

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Consultant

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsGreat coworkers. Free soda / vending machines. Flexible (for a time) on the ability to work from home.

Cons- Poor planning and adherence to SDLC best practices. I was on a very high profile project, with intense demands, yet no true project plan or standardized procedures were ever followed, despite being CMMI level 4.

- Extremely convoluted management structure. I received direction from approximately 15 different managers at different levels, often receiving conflicting orders. There was a reorganization of the project 4 times, each time making things more chaotic.

- Lack of communication from management and between teams. The project was very siloed, resulting in teams often coming to different conclusions or creating duplicative work. As the project began to tank, management kept employees less and less informed.

- Poor scope management. Consistently agreed to client requests, without properly analyzing the affect on time and schedule.

- Extremely long hours. Consistently worked 60-80 hour weeks. There was a prison-like atmosphere near the end of the project, where management refused to let employees leave, and held teams in conference rooms for strict, 11 hour shifts while taking attendance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a dedicated plan and strict processes before attempting to work on large, federal projects.

They treat you like a business owner which goes both ways

Director (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsBeing treated like a business owner means you are in charge of your career, and can go any direction you want with it as long as you are willing and able.

ConsBeing treated like a business owner also means that there is a keen eye on the bottom line, so your stocks may go up but your total comp may vary depending on business needs.

This was a great experience

Desktop Support Intern (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsCGI has a great culture and environment

Consthe commute from dc was one con

interesting place to work

Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

Prosgreat people to work with

Conscompensation package could be stronger;

Every (wo)man for themselves.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsI worked from home 100% doing nearly nothing for over a year. It was GREAT, and really boring all at the same time.

ConsHad I not asked for work, and an assignment change I likely could have continued to sit at home and collect a pay check for doing almost nothing. The job did not challenge me.

Advice to Senior ManagementTune in.

Good work life balance

Administrative Specialist (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood life/work balance. Good work atmosphere. Not a lot of turnover. Leadership has been with company for a long time. Good job stability

ConsCan feel stifling, difficult to grow and get promoted. To be in leadership roles you need to have been with the company for at least 10 years. can feel very insular, with new ideas getting shot down. Compensation is lower than competitors

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify your management team

Good place to work for a while

Consultant (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsAutonomy, work life balance, good colleagues

ConsLong hours, pay little below average given hours

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease of base pay for performance.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!