CGI Group

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

142 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Senior Consultant

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsGreat coworkers. Free soda / vending machines. Flexible (for a time) on the ability to work from home.

Cons- Poor planning and adherence to SDLC best practices. I was on a very high profile project, with intense demands, yet no true project plan or standardized procedures were ever followed, despite being CMMI level 4.

- Extremely convoluted management structure. I received direction from approximately 15 different managers at different levels, often receiving conflicting orders. There was a reorganization of the project 4 times, each time making things more chaotic.

- Lack of communication from management and between teams. The project was very siloed, resulting in teams often coming to different conclusions or creating duplicative work. As the project began to tank, management kept employees less and less informed.

- Poor scope management. Consistently agreed to client requests, without properly analyzing the affect on time and schedule.

- Extremely long hours. Consistently worked 60-80 hour weeks. There was a prison-like atmosphere near the end of the project, where management refused to let employees leave, and held teams in conference rooms for strict, 11 hour shifts while taking attendance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a dedicated plan and strict processes before attempting to work on large, federal projects.

They treat you like a business owner which goes both ways

Director (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsBeing treated like a business owner means you are in charge of your career, and can go any direction you want with it as long as you are willing and able.

ConsBeing treated like a business owner also means that there is a keen eye on the bottom line, so your stocks may go up but your total comp may vary depending on business needs.

This was a great experience

Desktop Support Intern (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsCGI has a great culture and environment

Consthe commute from dc was one con

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Every (wo)man for themselves.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsI worked from home 100% doing nearly nothing for over a year. It was GREAT, and really boring all at the same time.

ConsHad I not asked for work, and an assignment change I likely could have continued to sit at home and collect a pay check for doing almost nothing. The job did not challenge me.

Advice to Senior ManagementTune in.

Good work life balance

Administrative Specialist (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGood life/work balance. Good work atmosphere. Not a lot of turnover. Leadership has been with company for a long time. Good job stability

ConsCan feel stifling, difficult to grow and get promoted. To be in leadership roles you need to have been with the company for at least 10 years. can feel very insular, with new ideas getting shot down. Compensation is lower than competitors

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify your management team

Good place to work for a while

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsAutonomy, work life balance, good colleagues

ConsLong hours, pay little below average given hours

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease of base pay for performance.

Great benefits, overall experience depends on project you land

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsShare purchase plan, somewhat unlimited sick leave bank, work from home opportunities, performance based profit sharing

ConsYou could have a great experience and good work life balance if you land a good project. Otherwise, it'll feel like hell.

Worst company on the planet

Software Developer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsI would say there are not any Pros.

ConsYou can't reach your folks. They don't respond to mail, voice messages. They won't live up to their words, despite you fulfill your commitment and demonstrate that over and over.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire your management if they don't respond to employees and others mails and voice messages. You need a major rehaul from top to bottom especially at Managers and Directors level in DC metro area. They screwed up big time as we all know. And I see that they continue to do it every single day.

Many opportunities for improvement

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsThe vast majority of your coworkers work hard and are collaborative. There is a wide variety of work projects based on organic and inorganic growth of the company.

ConsPeople are not held accountable for the quality of their work, yet they continue to be promoted. Management seems to run around after the latest shiny object/market opportunity without a clear vision how to deliver quality profitably.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore career reward for hard work, less for cronies. Refocus the CGI name on delivering quality for broad specialty areas like ERP and app development. The company doesn't need to deliver ALL solutions to succeed in the federal market.

Great company to work with

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsRecognize employees, equal oppurtunities and rights.

ConsThere are no cons. its a great company to work with.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CGI Group reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CGI Group CEO Mike Roach. All 142 reviews posted anonymously by CGI Group employees.