CGI Group

CGI Group Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 12, 2014

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good(in 123 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements(in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance(in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth(in 37 reviews)

146 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great benefits, overall experience depends on project you land

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsShare purchase plan, somewhat unlimited sick leave bank, work from home opportunities, performance based profit sharing

ConsYou could have a great experience and good work life balance if you land a good project. Otherwise, it'll feel like hell.

Worst company on the planet

Software Developer (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI would say there are not any Pros.

ConsYou can't reach your folks. They don't respond to mail, voice messages. They won't live up to their words, despite you fulfill your commitment and demonstrate that over and over.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire your management if they don't respond to employees and others mails and voice messages. You need a major rehaul from top to bottom especially at Managers and Directors level in DC metro area. They screwed up big time as we all know. And I see that they continue to do it every single day.

Many opportunities for improvement

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe vast majority of your coworkers work hard and are collaborative. There is a wide variety of work projects based on organic and inorganic growth of the company.

ConsPeople are not held accountable for the quality of their work, yet they continue to be promoted. Management seems to run around after the latest shiny object/market opportunity without a clear vision how to deliver quality profitably.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore career reward for hard work, less for cronies. Refocus the CGI name on delivering quality for broad specialty areas like ERP and app development. The company doesn't need to deliver ALL solutions to succeed in the federal market.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Logistics Analyst providing customer support to the US Army

Senior Support Analyst (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA

ProsTop 100 companies to work offering profit sharing.

ConsHaving to leave due to end of contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide customer service to employees.

Great company to work with

Project Manager (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsRecognize employees, equal oppurtunities and rights.

ConsThere are no cons. its a great company to work with.

Fast growing smart company that generally treats employees well

Director (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsA lot of growth opportunities and great ESOP plan.

ConsCGI does not invest a lot in employee professional development and training. The company grows primarily through acquisition and must keep reducing costs. Investment in new service offerings and employees is secondary to acquiring other professional services firms and reducing operating costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more in employees and developing innovative service offerings. CGI has been a very well managed SI&C firm follower for 35 years. Now is the time to become an industry leader.

Positive Internship Experience

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

Pros-Working for the government
    -Cool Location
    -Super Friendly People
    -Free baseball games and events
    -Fun experience
    -Good interaction with other interns
    -Most/All were offered full time

Cons-Working for the government
    -Can be boring at times
    -Lower pay then other consulting firms
    -Boring office space
    -Would not match my other offers
    -No relocation money

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher pay, ability to move round

Salary was ok but definitely needs an improvement

Billing Analyst (Former Employee) Manassas, VA

ProsSalary is ok and flexible hours

Consvery unorganized and not working as a team when needed.

Advice to Senior Managementneed more experience people and work as a team. Instead of pointing finger at each other.

Perplexed

Director Consulting Services (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsSome of the people at CGI are absolutely amazing! Smart, driven, excited....but that is just when they've been here less than six months.

ConsCanada, Canada, Canada. Socialism is rampant within CGI. If you enjoy picking up the slack for someone else and they still get the same pay and bonus you do, then this is the place for you. Mediocrity within the employee base makes some groups not receive a decent bonus because we're making up the slack of other poor performers. The Healthcare.gov issue is starting to take its toll within the ranks.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't think they'll listen. It is sort of my way or the highway here.

Great environment to learn in

Director Consulting Services (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

Prosstrong focus on staff development and lots of opportunities for people who want to advance to dig in and do so...but you have to work for it.

ConsSome senior leaders are burned out, cynical and far beyond their skill sets. CGI Federal's business is to sell the skills and time of it's staff; i.e. the people are truly the asset. I think some senior leaders forget that.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior leadership (VP on up) needs to be kept in check. And, never sell what you have not properly prepared yourself to deliver (i.e. FFM). I was once told not to confuse sales with delivery. The only people who say that are the arrogant tools who then turn around and tell you to get it done.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!