CGI Group

Updated Apr 1, 2014

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

132 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Mediocre - feel they miss the boat quite often

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at CGI Group full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgood place to start your career, reasonable pay

Conslimited growth potential, poor reputation in the market

Advice to Senior Managementnone

CGI Is A Dysfunctional, Blended Family

Multimedia Specialist (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis is a very stable company. With so many markets and regions under its divisions, CGI can provide the option of transfers in your immediate area or around the country. For those with varied IT interests, you have many options here.

Also, CGI provides the benefits that employees who've worked in the professional corporate environment are used to: health care, life crisis solutions (free counseling, adoption support) and internal professional mentoring (if you're not on one of the contracts).

ConsCGI has doubled in size since it acquired my former company 4 years ago through subsequent mergers.

If you work on a contract in the federal side of the business, you will feel like a stepchild. I work on one of the most high-profile defense projects and we've had 4 Program Managers i just over 2 years. Only one stayed close to a year. But the turnover is seen throughout our office. There is zero harmony or morale among our ranks. And ideas to revitalize our respective departments are often overlooked.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in leadership! Bring people who are motivated to drive the passion of the business. There's no camaraderie, and therefore no collective incentive to persevere.

Turnover at the top is one of the most counteractive forces in the work environment.

Sacrifices Pay for Flexibility

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility, Working from home, Work-Life Balance, Good first and third job in a career.

ConsRaises/bonuses are not great, Some people who work more and do better work are often paid the same as people who do less work and are lazy.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay good workers more money if you want them to stay with the company.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smart people, not always available

Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for less than a year

ProsVery intelligent coders, smart agile shop, good flex hours comp time benefits. Interesting projects when you get to work on them. Good flexibility to be reassigned to new projects.

ConsWork from home days leave people unavailable lack of assigned work for new hires. Lack of direction on some projects it varies from project to project. Lack of meaningful job training.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter specific job training for higher ups. Make more time for them to train new employees, especially coders.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Not A Good Place for Mid Level Professionals, Bad Health Insurance if you have a family, not a lot of diversity

Momentum Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Salary, Work From Home, Great Stock Ownership Benefit, Annual Bonus, Social Club (if you ant to join), Great for COLLEGE HIRES

ConsNot a lot of diversity (African American's) this leads to being polarized in a majority white environment, Not a good place for mid-level professional of any race, not many African Americans in management outside of human resources, terrible health insurance not family friendly insurance will not pay till you reach $6000/$7000 deductible must setup Health Savings Account no copayments in plans this has the net effect of reducing your salary

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify work environment

interesting place to work

Consultant (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at CGI Group full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat people to work with

Conscompensation package could be stronger;

Roller coaster ride....always on the edge of your seat.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

ProsHigh visibility projects using cutting edge technology which push the envelope of their functionality.

ConsCompany focuses too much on account management and not project management. Those who win the contract are not always the right people to run the project.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand there is a big difference between account management and project management. Use experienced program/project managers to run the project and grow it organically...use account managers to run the business unit account and focus on new project business development. Use project lessons learned to benefit future projects. Value individual member contributions to the big picture.

Ok - Typical federal government IT Shop

Manager Consulting (Current Employee)
Herndon, VA

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary and ok benefits, Location, Steady job.

ConsTypical Federal contracting job. Mediocre talent.. Too many managers... Lack of opportunities.. Brand affected by health exchange fiasco at Federal and State levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to grow business, focus on hiring the right tech talent. Having too many incompetent managers in charge of prestigious projects, and hiring incompetent people is not the way to be successful

Could be better

Washington, DC

I have been working at CGI Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNice people to work with especially college graduates, flexible hours and easy to take off.

ConsThere are good opportunities to work on different client projects, however f you are trying to move up in the company, forget it. Promotions are only for management favorites and management themselves. The salary and annual increases are not competitive as they should be aligned with the industry. Poor execution of talent and projects and turn over rate is slowly rising

Advice to Senior ManagementNone because they will not listen

Not a good place to work folks

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
Herndon, VA

I worked at CGI Group as a contractor for more than a year

ProsNothing I can tell much about, I worked as a contractor for 2 years

ConsHorrible managers and the treatment to contractors is one of the worst that I have encountered in my 13 years of IT experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you can't manage please take some courses

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CGI Group reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CGI Group CEO Mike Roach. All 132 reviews posted anonymously by CGI Group employees.