CGI Group

Mike Roach

141 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work

Fairfax, VA

ProsDiverse work environment. Flexible with the work from home program.

ConsThe large size of the company makes it hard to get noticed and is also hard to get approvals because of the organization structure.

CGI Federal is a great place to work and has a great feel of people that work with you.

IT Asset Management Administrator (Current Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsEveryone is looking to help. Great experience as an Intern.

ConsI haven't faced any big challenges yet, but if so I am ready for them.

Excellet company to work for

Systems Architect (Current Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsGreat company to work for. Colleagues are largely friendly and helpful. Some program managers could be unhelpful as far as dealing with the clients go.

ConsCompany took a PR hit because of the ACA website fiasco.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support for employees who are working for Government clients

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start at

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsI enjoyed working at CGI, but I think it really depends on the team you get put on and if you're lucky to get a good manager, which could be said about any company really. My manager was great in giving me a variety of challenging tasks with the freedom to do them how I thought was best. I've heard that a lot of people will get assigned one type of task and get stuck there but that wasn't the case for me and so I was able to learn a lot about different things and decide what I wanted to focus on going forward. They definitely cared about where I wanted my career to go.

ConsPay is average. When you're coming right out of school it's a good amount of money until you realize other companies will pay you more to do similar (if not the same) thing.

Very dependent on project you are working on

Fairfax, VA

ProsOne project I worked on was very good with excellent people, great teamwork, and high morale even under extreme pressure. Everyone pulled together, good sharing of knowledge, and everyone worked hard to get the job done under extremely challenging conditions. Company worked hard to compensate for long hours by providing free lunches/dinners, and some extra compensation for long hours.

ConsA second project was the exact reverse of the first project. Claimed that schedule was tight, but often times when someone completed a task the technical lead had no new task to give them. One of several signs of extreme disorganization. This caused low morale, and several people leaving within a short period of time. Seemed to be split by new members of the project versus people who had been on the project for quite some time. New members often were not tasked well, and were not given enough chance to understand the business functions. Technical lead bad-mouthed some new members to others on the project, which got back to new members making them feel unappreciated and not being given proper chance. Management seemed not to care about this as long as work was getting done.

Consultant

Consultant (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsGood place to start as college hires
    Reasonably big company to start

ConsHigh turn over rate
    The product has too much defect
    Understaffed with project
    Overtime give you flex time which you can't use

Helpdesk Support

Help Desk Support (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

ProsI was able to work from home.

ConsThe turn over rate is bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that mangement should hire / promote people from within the company.

Flexible Work Environment

Fairfax, VA

ProsGood work to life balance. Great flexibility depending on the project. CGI is really good for families with small children. Investors also love CGI. They have grown exponentially over the past 10 years.

ConsCompensation is something that some people complain about but I am not sure if that is due people's desire to be paid more or if CGI's compensation is a little below the industry average. My guess is both.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Find another Company to Work for

Consultant (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsPaycheck, it is a job. Good people to work with and a decent environment. Upward mobility if you are willing to work 60+ hours a week.

ConsBenefits are poor, each year more benefits are taken away or reduced. Looks good on the outside, hey you get to purchase Vision Care - go to use it and find out the benefit is very limited. Health benefit reduced every year and is now terrible - pay $$$$ for catastrophic coverage only. Balance of the reward system goes to Management and Shareholders on the back of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementUS Division is disconnected from Canada - US managements needs to attract and retain better talent by fighting for better employee compensation. Weed out management that does not contribute TOO MANY Layers! Internal Departments that SHOULD be responsive to employees are terrible. Try and get any issue resolved in 4-6 months with HR, IT - not going to happen! Established a coporate culture - it is about me. Management needs to listen to employees - they haven't for years and employees are stopping trying to help the company.

Mediocre - feel they miss the boat quite often

Programmer Analyst (Former Employee)
    Fairfax, VA

Prosgood place to start your career, reasonable pay

Conslimited growth potential, poor reputation in the market

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CGI Group reviews and ratings in Washington, DC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CGI Group CEO Mike Roach. All 141 reviews posted anonymously by CGI Group employees.