CGI Group

CGI Group Reviews in Washington, DC

Updated Jul 26, 2014

CGI Group President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach

Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good(in 126 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements(in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance(in 40 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth(in 37 reviews)

147 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Happy but "Hire-and-fire" policy in effect

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsRemote work, salary and benefits.

ConsManagement /supervisors have a 100% power to fire anyone in their team. Race is a factor here!

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease work on the work and not on "who is who on background!" That way, you don't lose your contracts like say the ACA's Healcth Exchange or Obamacare and the Dept of Commerce! Racist managers are well known but "overlooked" by your superiors. Company could be sued for "Overlooking!"

Values Proposals over Delivery

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Herndon, VA

ProsThere are still a few good technical people left. Convenient work locations.

ConsThe best people eventually went elsewhere. Winning a contract seems to be valued more than strong delivery. Nobody pushed back on the customer, which caused severe hardship on the technical staff and a system that did not work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease provide a technical career track for those who keep up with best practices in architecture, design, and implementation.

Good money, MEH employer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood salary for my position, corporate profit sharing and benefits are good. I split work between 50% home / 50% in suburban location based on my activity. Large company trying to do well for upper tier employees that are not direct bill to clients. Very international flavor, as French Canadian HQ with large US and European operations.

ConsLower tier employees treated like Kleenex; used and then disposed of. I see lots of new grad's used hard while probably being paid at very low end of spectrum. This is typical of Services company which needs to sell staff cheaply to maintain corporate margins. Staff are quickly cut when then are not billable. My experience is they have very inconsistent personnel quality in sales & business development.

Very distinct left wing political atmosphere.

Work swings widely between extreme overload and nothing. Work forty days straight, then not anything new for two weeks. In almost to years there, I have never had my manager stop by and talk with me one-on-one about anything. Contacts have been 10 word email instructions to engage someone on a task and a 10 minute mandatory annual review. In my group, no sense of team or bond. leading to lots of hiding when work is passed out.

Advice to Senior ManagementInternal disorganization and political empire building are costing contracts and business. Stop relying so heavily on political cronies for US Federal business. You have the most incompetent IT department I've seen in 25+ years in IT.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Company

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsGood place to get a start in your career.

ConsNot a great place for career growth.

Worked as one of the developers and enjoyed learning new technologies and getting opportunities

Senior Developer (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsSenior Management - very supportive. Interesting projects and great opportunities

ConsPay is less compared to the efforts put into almost any project. They get more work done with less pay and less people. However, if you are doing a really great job, they try to give you a reasonable offer.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management could have been better at making decisions ahead of time.

Alot of talk but little action!

Director (Former Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsYou work with some wonderful people each and every day - smart, talented and caring!

ConsLeadership is lacking in every way
    VP Level managers or hold overs from AMS are overbearing, rude and not very smart. Account Managers or VP's that never leave their office and yet pretend to know what the client thinks - they give no credit to their teams and take commission

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider changing management or interviewing Director level folks to see what is truly going on.

Good place to work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsDiverse work environment. Flexible with the work from home program.

ConsThe large size of the company makes it hard to get noticed and is also hard to get approvals because of the organization structure.

CGI Federal is a great place to work and has a great feel of people that work with you.

IT Asset Management Administrator (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsEveryone is looking to help. Great experience as an Intern.

ConsI haven't faced any big challenges yet, but if so I am ready for them.

Excellet company to work for

Systems Architect (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsGreat company to work for. Colleagues are largely friendly and helpful. Some program managers could be unhelpful as far as dealing with the clients go.

ConsCompany took a PR hit because of the ACA website fiasco.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore support for employees who are working for Government clients

Good place to start at

Consultant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI enjoyed working at CGI, but I think it really depends on the team you get put on and if you're lucky to get a good manager, which could be said about any company really. My manager was great in giving me a variety of challenging tasks with the freedom to do them how I thought was best. I've heard that a lot of people will get assigned one type of task and get stuck there but that wasn't the case for me and so I was able to learn a lot about different things and decide what I wanted to focus on going forward. They definitely cared about where I wanted my career to go.

ConsPay is average. When you're coming right out of school it's a good amount of money until you realize other companies will pay you more to do similar (if not the same) thing.

Worked for CGI Group? Contribute to the Community!