CGI

Updated February 14, 2015
Updated February 14, 2015

CGI President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach
Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good (in 146 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

109 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Developer

I have been working at CGI

Pros

Excellent team. Very intelligent people and knowing what they do.
    So different of working for a company, where there are usually many segnior employes and managers who doesn't know ANYTHING about principles of computer science. And who sabotage the good work of other people.
    CGI offers also a good shares purchase program, collective pension plan, GYM on site, with a ridiculous price for membership.
    You can take all the courses you consider needed for your job. And since, the CGI clients are the most big compagnies in every domain, you will learn the most modern approaches in computer science regarding you clien buisenesses,
    Isn't it a wanserful motivation ?
    To increase you salary more then the usual salary increase, you will have to prove to you manager, as well as to HR, that with youe skills and you experience, you should gain much more according to different private and governemental sources.
    They will accept this, but your salary will be increased only during the anniversary of your start.

Cons

People are not celebrating anniversaries of a team member together. Usually, the employee anniversary go completely unnoticed.
    It hurt on you feelings as a team member.
    There are other cons related to clients for whom you work. But it is not not concerned CGI at all.
    An other thing, while working in this compagny, I started feeling like a person who is sold for another compagny, to make a money on her. But isn't this just a way all consulting firms work ?
    And as I allready said, it is much better to work for a consulting compagny, then to work for a company having their own IT departement, where most of the employees does not understand what they are doing, or who are attached to an old technology, and are not capable to learn something new.
    We will probably need our overtime paid, beause many clients keep their meetings until 8 pm.
    Fot the people who is on call, or starts at 7 am from his home, it will be a good things to pay them cell phones and internet service, they are using to work for the client.

I have much respect to Serge Godin. He takes great care of his employees.
    But I don't like that our overtime is not paid, the client is using our personal cell phones to call us during the night, and the fact the we have to use our own internet connection, to connect to the clients site from our home. At some point CGI fas to paid for our cell phones and our internet condumption.

software development manager

Former Employee - IT Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lot of challenges.
    good work with fair technical challenges
    good technologies allowing diverse opportunities

Cons

Bad management, higher management.
    Only focus on cash - not always focus on customers interest.

Good company

Current Employee - Director in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CGI provides a clear structure of how its business ought to be run by local (country or large cities) management. The stock has performed well for the past two decades, making the employer matched share purchases lucrative. The vast majority of CGI employees participate, leading to many people caring about the success of the company. No one cared at my former workplace, because no one help company stock. CGI is well positioned to continue acquiring other IT services firms due to good financial results.

Cons

Brand awareness is lower in both among CGI's customers and potential employees. CGI may not win as much business as a result, or not attract as many "A" candidates as it would like.

The company's model appears to work, so continue to deploy it into recently acquired businesses.

Good learning environement, less good for career advancement

Former Employee - IT Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at CGI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well structured, various positions available.

Cons

Salary, hard to get a good career advancement within the company, benefits and bonus could be better.

Better communication with your team members.

Sr, Consultant

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at CGI

Pros

Friendly environment if we no consider Cons as stated below.

Cons

No Growth with respect to salary and Profile, even though we get good customer review rating. Even if we send email there is no proper response from the management.

Management should discuss with their peers on regular basis. Some manager (especially my manager who is not promoted as Director :)) is worst on talking care of their peers in all situation.

Review

I have been working at CGI

Pros

Good Company at this time

Cons

Growth needed for people at this time

Get better

Used to be a good company, it deteriorates by the minute.

Former Employee - Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At this point no pros, used to be a good company,

Cons

Company is hiring only juniors at this time, to pay less. Highly educated people are hired for technician positions. Managers will crush you, only to make you leave, because you are paid too much. They will stop at nothing. No respect for the employees. No possibilities of advancement, unless you are plugged. All the 'dream', to enjoy working together, and we will respect you, and we are a team of builders, is just slogans. Management does not care about this at all. Once your salary gets into their radar, it is over for you. There is no limits to what they will make you go through, they will be wild animals, and they will devour you. It will be all absurd, and will make you wonder if you are actually in the 21st century, or you landed in the 19th century managed company. All this in the name of them keeping their highly paid jobs. They will call you a "doer" in-between closed doors. They are all above doing! All benefits are one by one going away, each year one less.

Losing clients is a result of your management skills. Crushing your people will not result in more business, just more bad publicity, and good, talented and dedicated people will steer away.

Great for greenhorns straight out of school. But move on from it after 5+ years.

Former Employee - Remote Technical Assistance Center Tech (Second Level Support) in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- MAJOR: Great place to gain experience on a bunch of platforms used in the IT world, especially if you're fresh out of school.
    - MAJOR: Having that brand is also good on a resume, catches recruiters' attention almost immediately.
    - MAJOR: If you're fortunate enough to have good TLs and management, you'll gain support into most of what you need, as long as it's reasonable.
    - MAJOR: Work-life balance is great. You shouldn't be asked for too much OT.
    - MINOR: Benefits are fine. Too bad they don't have 401k, though...

Cons

- MAJOR: If you don't negotiate your salary right when hired, you'll remain on the low end. Raises are either on par or lower than the cost of living.
    - MAJOR: If you wish to move up, you need to know people, or be at the right place at the right time.
    - MINOR: If you're unfortunate enough to have bad TLs and manager, it becomes you against the world. But that is not particular to CGI, this happens everywhere. The bigger the company is, the greater the risk for this to take place.
    - VERY MINOR: CGI sort of expects loyalty to the brand at levels beyond those a regular worker would be willing to commit. Depending on the manager that you have (ie: if you get a sycophant), you can get scolded for not attending the annual tour.
    - MINOR: If you hate buzzword bingo, don't bother applying.

Develop some program to prevent your star players from leaving. Put some (perhaps monetary) incentive in there to push your staff to compete to be that star player. That would help you retain top talent, the talent that matters.

No opinion on recommendation, Neutral Outlook, no opinion of CEO

More downs than up

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Met good resources, had some good experience.

Cons

Some power-trip egomaniacs buzz can ruin the show.
    No education offer.
    Many mandatory fake class to take. I'm sure they ask tax advantages for that.

feeling happy working for such a company

Current Employee - Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at CGI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good company well established in Canada so its really good reference in a resume

Cons

no chance to increase your vacation for really a long time.