CGI

1,405 Reviews
1,405 Reviews

CGI President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach
Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good (in 142 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

104 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

feeling happy working for such a company

Current Employee - Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at CGI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good company well established in Canada so its really good reference in a resume

Cons

no chance to increase your vacation for really a long time.

Great for greenhorns straight out of school. But move on from it after 5+ years.

Former Employee - Remote Technical Assistance Center Tech (Second Level Support) in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- MAJOR: Great place to gain experience on a bunch of platforms used in the IT world, especially if you're fresh out of school.
    - MAJOR: Having that brand is also good on a resume, catches recruiters' attention almost immediately.
    - MAJOR: If you're fortunate enough to have good TLs and management, you'll gain support into most of what you need, as long as it's reasonable.
    - MAJOR: Work-life balance is great. You shouldn't be asked for too much OT.
    - MINOR: Benefits are fine. Too bad they don't have 401k, though...

Cons

- MAJOR: If you don't negotiate your salary right when hired, you'll remain on the low end. Raises are either on par or lower than the cost of living.
    - MAJOR: If you wish to move up, you need to know people, or be at the right place at the right time.
    - MINOR: If you're unfortunate enough to have bad TLs and manager, it becomes you against the world. But that is not particular to CGI, this happens everywhere. The bigger the company is, the greater the risk for this to take place.
    - VERY MINOR: CGI sort of expects loyalty to the brand at levels beyond those a regular worker would be willing to commit. Depending on the manager that you have (ie: if you get a sycophant), you can get scolded for not attending the annual tour.
    - MINOR: If you hate buzzword bingo, don't bother applying.

Develop some program to prevent your star players from leaving. Put some (perhaps monetary) incentive in there to push your staff to compete to be that star player. That would help you retain top talent, the talent that matters.

No opinion on recommendation, Neutral Outlook, no opinion of CEO

More downs than up

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Met good resources, had some good experience.

Cons

Some power-trip egomaniacs buzz can ruin the show.
    No education offer.
    Many mandatory fake class to take. I'm sure they ask tax advantages for that.

Good company overall,

Current Employee - Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Training, good culture in theory, nice colleagues, not bad work life balance

Cons

Not a lot of professional growing opportunities, depends who you know. Too many layers of management, too may chiefs not enough Indians. Good culture but not followed by management. Some management lacks management skills.

Good if you enjoy being bored

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to get experience
    Nice coworkers

Cons

Extremely boring, not enough work to keep yourself occupied
    Low salary, is this India or Canada?

Value your employees or they'll all leave.

No Belonging just exist to create profit: Bring Body, Connect with RJ45, make $$$ for CGI, get some crumbs$

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hey they send a $30 gift if a child is born

Cons

I did work for one consultant organisation before CGI. But CGI is more stingier.

Hey Btw, even though they make money from english clients/countries, you can feel the underlying discrimination against those who do not know french fluently (in Montreal). Keep in mind the founders put in more "french requirement on employees" than the Quebec language police.

- They won't know what you are working on for the client.
    - They won't bother about you/training/salary etc as long as you make money for them.

They didn't hire me straight and train. A bank wanted someone to work for cheap, so they connected me for the interview call, and the rest is you work for the bank, whereas CGI does not invest in your career growth. You are the remote resource for the bank/client.

CGI had a sentence "We will fund for your training, however if you quit within 2 years after getting the certification, you have to reimburse" - I never took the training, cause I'm not sure I would want to stay.

I think the whole industry is moving in the direction of "I want pre-trained people that I don't want to care for, I'll pay pittance and overwork them".

Their moto is "make value for share holder", which is good, but if they does not take care of "care for employee training/satisfaction", well they will endup creating ObamaCare websites, thus endup reducing value for shareholder.

Work-life balance

Current Employee - Account Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

better work-life balance relative to other consulting firms.

Cons

lack of people development, unclear career growth path.

Member-centric company

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great leadership at the high levels board, executives and business unit leaders steering the organization in the right direction. Have introduced initiatives that engage members involvement.

Cons

Mid/Low-level management not to par with today's organizational behaviors. Favoritism and politics diminishing member motivation and initiatives.

Keep up with good work and member consultation. Train the "old time" managers to be able to sustain and grow the organization.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co-workers are great. Office location ok

Cons

Salary increase and promotions are only for friends.

Share the profit with members. Salary policy is to be revised. 2 individuals doing the same job have significant difference in salary.

Solid experience in consulting to be had

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At certain BUs the challenge and remuneration are quite good. It's not earth shattering work but there's a lot of room for growth.

Cons

Extremely structure company, hard to move up the ladder, negotiate your salary when joining else you'll never get incredible raise.