CGI Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
3.2

Mike Madison

Pros
  • The work life balance is big plus at CGI (in 12 reviews)

• Its a good company with all facilities like Cab, work from home etc (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, Too much overtime (in 3 reviews)

• Its a consulting company so working for a client and traveling could be challenging (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Customer Service Representtative

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, TX

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co that allows for employee input

Cons

Not salary competitive in the industry

Below most contractors

Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at CGI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing to say about this company besides they give me a paycheck every two weeks.

Cons

To begin employment you are given 3 personal days to start however you don't start accumulating leave until after 1 year of working there. You pay full price for insurance since the company does not pay a portion of it. They do pay you health and welfare for opting out of insurance at a rate of 4$ an hour in addition to your hourly or salary. You must complete a million things online for training but the proram manager for whom I work for is an idiot and doesn't know what she does. This is the company the messed up the Obama Care website. I am looking for a new job ASAP now and I only been working for them for about 3-4 months.

No advice. Company is just stupid.

CGI Federal - Stable work, 1-3% pay increases, bad management

Current Employee - Consultant in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Charleston, SC

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Decent benefits and pay
    - Can work from home after a while
    - If you're willing to work hard and more hours you will always find work

Cons

- Poor management that is short sighted. Consistently poor planning which inevitably leads to longer hours for lower levels workers. Repeat past mistakes again and again.
    - No training, development, on investing in employees.
    - Used to have great benefits, but have consistently cut back to "benchmark" bare bones benefits.
    - Minimal raises. You are basically hired for a role and you stay in that role with cost of living raises. Low performers who are just warm bodies to bill hours to clients get similar raises to high performers who are key to project success.

- Invest in (spend money on) training and development for employees, encourage rotation of job duties to learn new skills, and enable employees to use new skills.
    - Follow basic project management principles when planning projects

Great technical and management learning experience

Current Employee - Integration Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Integration Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life balance is good. There are some challenging projects available.

Cons

Many Senior Consultants are given the role of a Manager with a less pay. The promotion by Title does not necessarily give you a pay raise. You have to increase your leverage level to get a good raise.

CGI-Learning and Methodologies (Advantage ERP)

Current Employee - Consultant-Advantage ERP in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Consultant-Advantage ERP in Columbia, SC

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Profile development is great when seeking a position!

Cons

Lack of Management involvment. Powerpoint overdose for "new hire" training. Training group with no up-to-date tools; they are using Microsoft Live Meeting as a Learning Management System. Will quickly threaten employee job if there is any sign of "innovation". Although they profess support of member Entrepreneurialship, they really use that a smoke screen for directly telling members not to add anything outside of linear Powerpoint (so called, decks) for delivery.

Get a PMP or take on leadership skill courses offered by the CGI Skillport. Review and find a "true" LMS.

Tough place to be successful

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The stock purchase plan is great.

Cons

The organization has lost or forced out all the leadership that was actually focused on success, and now is being lead by people who consider success as being able to pass the blame onto others for failed projects, and stay under the radar. They talk about leadership courage, but they punish anyone who tries to be proactive.
    Turnover is crazy with anyone who has been with the company less than 3-4 years. So do yourself a favor, run away when they call you for an interview.

It is a pyramid scheme, they buy new companies, strip them of their assets, and use that money to cover the losses from their failed projects, then buy the next company to start all over again. If you ever had to actually deliver something to be successful you would fail miserably.

CGI

I have been working at CGI

Pros

Competitive salaries, average health plan, strong employee support/HR and great support for professional growth.

Cons

I have found nothing to complain about to date

Enjoy remote work, could use more support when first starting

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really like the ability to work remotely in my current position. Upper management is not constantly monitoring your whereabouts during the day to the point where you feel under a microscope, and that's refreshing. I like the flexibility with my hours as well, since I am supporting clients in a time zone 3 hours earlier than mine.

Cons

The biggest challenge has been the on-boarding process. I was new to the software that we support and I didn't feel I got a decent grasp on it before I was expected to analyze complex issues that came in from clients with customized features. The people who had the information to help me were too busy trying to get things fixed themselves, so I always feel like the dunce waiting to figure out what's going on when someone has the time to work with me. That's the downside to being remote - you can't walk to a colleague's desk for face to face time.

There seems to be too much focus on busy work outside of client support. Our team was given a new initiative this fiscal year to improve processes used by the teams, but the execution of this was astoundingly poor. Much of our team has been focused on getting our clients either live with an upgrade, steady in their current system, or troubleshooting problems that never seem to go away. The last thing I want to do after a long day or week supporting the client is to spend time on extra curricular busy work for which I won't be paid extra over my salaried hours.

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Testing in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Testing in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dedicated to being successful, awesome stock purchase plan with immediate vesting on purchase. Good pay.

Cons

Consulting company, bench time is not long and I've seen good people go because they didn't have a project to roll to.

Development of centers of excellence with specialties that drive our business instead of taking any business that comes our way.

loved working there

Former Employee - Manual Machinist in Carson City, NV
    Former Employee - Manual Machinist in Carson City, NV

I worked at CGI full-time (less than an year)

Pros

everyone was friendly and helpful

Cons

none every one was very helpful

keep up the good work