CGI

1,455 Reviews
1,455 Reviews

CGI President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach
Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good (in 146 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place for someone starting their career

I worked at CGI

Pros

-Management
    -Technical Exposure
    -Employee friendly rules and regulations

Cons

- Not much cons in my point of view

Great corporate company that promotes within and truly cares about your success if you work hard and prove yourself.

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at CGI

Pros

Great share purchase benefits! Wonderful opportunities for career growth based upon performance and drive. Perfect place for building stages of career.

Cons

High expectations and challenging workload. Needed time off will always be dependent upon something, so flexibilty is a must. Management is a coin toss, you either luck out or you don't.

Compensation for the ones that contribute to company success when credit is due (big or small), not limiting it to recognized top players (management and above)

Best place to work!

Current Employee - Recruiting Lead in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Lead in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exciting work, work life balance, a lot of opportunity and great people!

Cons

I have none to report.

Good experience!

Former Employee - Consultant in Lebanon, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Lebanon, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For a kid just starting fresh out of school, it's a great and supportive environment to be introduced to the professional world.

Most of the workforce is pretty young, and there's a very healthy team culture (At least at the Lebanon office). You're given a lot of flexibility. I was not "thrown to the wolves" when I started, and was given plenty of time and support to learn the ropes.

The lower and middle management at the Lebanon office were pretty solid prior to the organizational restructuring. Team leads that were present on-site were helpful, supportive, and understanding. Managers were competent and fair.

The share purchase plan is nice. The 401k match is mediocre. Lots of paid holidays, and decent PTO. Unlimited sick leave. Ability to work remote.

Good starting salary if you AREN'T a computer programmer. Salary for accountants and business types is pretty competitive.

Annual raises are almost guaranteed. Most people get around 3% yearly. Some guys only got 2%. How this is distributed seems pretty arbitrary.

There's usually a Christmas Bonus (Profit sharing) to the tune of 800+ dollars.

Despite the insistence of some of the other reviewers, the cost of living in the area is quite low. Rent is about average (400-600 for a 2br apt), while property value is ridiculously low by national standards. A lot of really decent homes can be had for around 100k. Just don't be dumb with your money. 45k is quite enough to support you in comfort.

Getting fired is an act of congress. During my time at CGI, a few people got laid off, but nobody was fired for performance. This is both a pro (job security), and a con (freeloaders).

Cons

The pay is very low for programmers (Maybe 30% below local market). Programmers and Business Analysts get paid the same starting salary. For a new graduate, it's really not that bad, especially if you live with room mates, and honestly the experience was worth it to me.

The healthcare is godawful. The HSA plan CGI uses has a 3500(?) dollar deductible/out of pocket max. 7k for a family. This is devastating if you get sick, or have recurring medical costs. The plan really only pays off financially if you get cancer, or hit by a bus. No prescription coverage. Since a lot of families around here are single income, this is a killer. This was my main drive to leave.

Work-life balance was great when I started, but towards the end of my time at CGI I was regularly working 70-80 hour weeks.

Despite the Lebanon VA stationed managers being pretty good, they are extremely limited in their authority and don't have the power to actually affect positive change. Lots of bureaucracy.

An organizational restructuring took the larger, more generalized teams, and broke them down to maybe a dozen smaller, specialized teams. This forced management to create a bunch more Team Leads for each of the smaller teams. Some of these Team Leads were... highly unfit.

In addition, many of these leads were full-time Work-From-Home, or worked in Fairfax. This made them inaccessible at times, unavailable to assist struggling team members, or caused weird political issues since they really only were in touch with us when something went wrong. Their impressions of many team members were badly skewed by this. The people we actually worked closely with on a daily basis weren't given any voice in our annual reviews.

The disconnect between superiors and subordinates caused a lot of tension.

Despite the abundance of team leads, there isn't really much opportunity to advance. The structure of the company is overall pretty flat, and there's no pay incentive for promotions. Senior consultants get a slightly better 401k and share purchase plan.

Because of the issues mentioned above, CGI Federal is becoming a stepping-stone. Very few people I knew there had plans to stay.

Pay programmers at a competitive rate.
    Keep teams together, face to face.
    Let middle management manage.
    Hold team leads accountable.
    Fix the healthcare.

Great Place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, Good work culture, flexible timings, Good Opportunity to work with experienced and smart peoples.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are not so great. career growth is slow, you have to be lucky to get into the right project with right client.

The website made me do it

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

None none none none none

Experience working for this company

Former Employee - Training and Development Specialist in San Angelo, TX
    Former Employee - Training and Development Specialist in San Angelo, TX

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, excellent working environment and very flexible one their schedule to work with National Guard members

Cons

No progression from within my position. I could have continued working in the same position for 20 years before I would have had promotion potential.

Offer advancement or you will continue to lose good people.

Decent Company, Limited Growth

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Early on you can get 10% raises every year (although your salary starts low, and this goes away after a period of time)
    Managers are nice and personable
    Company is very successful; reliable work

Cons

Limited growth; the company claims you can "pick your career path," but once they get you in a certain skill set they prefer you to stay there
    Grossly underpay their consultants; will not pay you competitive wages unless you A) ask them repeatedly or B) come in with a new job offer and threaten to leave
    Structure of company is very isolated; very difficult to make lateral moves into working with different solutions or industries
    Very "old school" in how it deals with employees; expects 10-15 yrs commitment and doesn't offer clear training opportunities or paths on how to increase skill set/take on more responsibility

To become more attractive to the younger generation, you need to increase the fluidity of your positions and offer more current training programs to learn software that is used more broadly and gain current certifications and skills that are in demand across IT/software consulting companies

Billing hours is the only priority at CGI

Current Employee - Consultant in Belton, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Belton, TX

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent 401k and employee stock ownership programs. Great vacation and time off policies. Good medical insurance, considering current market environment.

Cons

The team I worked on was geographically dispersed and poorly managed with no accountability. Management’s primary concern was billing hours, not doing a good job for the client.

During my employment, I observed two college recruiting cycles. CGI hired recent IT graduates who assumed they were going to be software developers. There are no contracting slots for trainee developers. CGI management places these graduates into dead-end jobs doing testing under the guidance of more experienced and expensive senior consultants. This seems to be CGI’s business model.

The first job out of college with no experience is hard to get, but I don’t know anybody who liked being at CGI. If there is a choice of offers, consider the other offer.

Acceptable for college hires, not so much for experienced developers

Former Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked for the Federal part of CGI. The only good thing I can say for this company is it provides a place for people straight out of college to start and get a big name on their resumes. Start here from college, stay for three years, and then go somewhere else.

Cons

The management in charge of projects has no idea how to gather requirements. The salaries for developers are at least ten thousand lower than industry standards. There is no contingency planning at all. If something fails they just keep beating the dead horse.

Get some real training in project management and stop putting unqualified people in charge of developement.