CGI

www.cgi.com
Employer Engaged

Can't complaint , but definitely cannot praise

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Personal life - work balance

Cons

- if you don't have project, even if you are full time they sack you out in 3 weeks
    - managers are least bothered. I personally had experience this year that manager asked to ding the appraisal without any formal discussion

Job is never guaranteed

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Burlington, VT

I worked at CGI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You are able to travel to different cities for a given project.

Cons

When project is over, one is left with not much support to find their next role and ultimately back on the job market. And this is for Full Time Employees.

Find better ways to retain FTEs so they do not wind up back on the job market after a project ends.

Started out great, went downhill fast.

I worked at CGI

Pros

Ability to work from home was a bonus.

Cons

Long hours, poor raises. High turnover with technical resources and Senior Management. Lack of support by Senior Managers with client issues. With long working hours difficult to take advantage of training programs. Communications between functional teams and Senior Management is poor.

I would suggest taking a closer looked at middle management. If teams are not performing as expected, could it be because of the lack of clear direction and communication breakdown.

Good Opportunities

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at CGI

Pros

They offer great opportunities and solid experience.

Cons

Pay is awful and benefits are lacking.

n/a

Needs to look at your culture and values

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at CGI

Pros

You can have work life balance if you can say the word no. And you can work from home and have flexible hours. I enjoy working my coworkers.

Cons

I work for company that value there employee and I work for company the pretend to value there employee. Currently CGI Federal does neither. You are there to do a job and that is it. The company is disorganized and has very little focus. It is not uncommon for you to find out something needs done days before it is due. Also many of the PM’s are scared to talk with the client so if you have any question they will not be answered. CGI Federal does a very poor job of providing training and they are technical weak. Expect very few opportunities for career growth, and if you do get a promotion company is notorious for giving them without accompanying raises. I have seen it happen. Any salary increase will be rather paltry. The bonus structure seems very random so do not expect bonuses. The health benefits have deteriorated in the past several years.

Great environment, market pay, awesome benefits

I worked at CGI

Pros

Flexibility, employee value, market pay, employee team building, training provided and awarded

Cons

promotions based on seniority more than contribution, too many chiefs, not enough indians, hard to reach leadership when they are out of the office

A good company, using Java a lot

I have been working at CGI full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A good company, using Java a lot

Cons

So far, not bad comments

None

Favoritism at it's best

Current Employee - Web Developer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked for CGI Federal for more than two year. They let you work from home two days a week. Nice location in fairfax close to mall and good eating places.

Cons

Favoritism. Foreign managers favor employees from their country. No work place ethics. No job secuirty

Worst Company on the Planet

I worked at CGI

Pros

None. Job if you need one.

Cons

Non-ethical
    Lots of work, lots of free overtime without compensation.

Fire entire management team. Reinvent self.

Good for new college grads, bad for everyone else

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at CGI

Pros

If you're a new college grad working here will put a big name on your resume early. That will help you get a better job with a company that actually knows how to produce software later. I would suggest looking for something else around three years.

Cons

The people in charge of project management have no idea what proper requirements or specs are. Too much control over system design is given to favorite golden boys who know nothing about good software engineering practices. For instances classes with a dozen layers of interfaces, interfaces to interfaces to interfaces. Agile development cycle used as an excuse to throw meaningless "specs" with no detail at developers. Then it's on the developers to figure it out while the BAs get hammered at happy hour social events. CGI also hires people into development management positions that have absolutely no experience writing code. Pay is at least 10k less than industry standards. Health insurance is a bad joke. Don't expect any truth from management on the state of the company or promises that they're changing things to make them better.

Stop hiring people as development managers that don't have CS or IS degrees. Stop the happy hour nonsense, your business is writing code. Team building is fine if it actual promotes better communication, not just getting wasted. Start using Agile the way it was meant to be instead of as an excuse to not do your jobs. Put some HR oversight in place with promotions.