CGI Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1,935 Employee Reviews

Typical large consulting firm trade-offs

Former Employee - Consulting Director in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Consulting Director in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with lots of smart people You have access to a wide range of technical and subject-matter experts Many employees have opportunity to work from home

Cons

Employees spend a lot of time on things (e.g., status reports, surveys) seemingly for the sake of it. There is scant evidence that such information is reviewed or that resulting action is taken. Employees are expected to work long hours. HR practices are sound, but are not frequently followed by management.

Advice to Management

Think/act for the longer-term. To maintain a strategy of growth through acquisition, you need to improve the cultural integration process.

2. Good team

Current Employee - Consultant in Juneau, AK
    Current Employee - Consultant in Juneau, AK

I have been working at CGI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gets to work with different project groups, and gain knowledge on different business areas and industries.

Cons

A lot of travel and/or relocation. Making relationships hard to manage. Project manager change from project to project; unstable relationship with management.

3. CGI Federal Technical Internship

Current Employee - Technical Intern in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Technical Intern in Lafayette, LA

Pros

good real world experience. They throw you into programming pretty quickly, and while there is help there if you need it/ask for it, you have the opportunity to figure it out on your own.

Cons

projects and their requirements can be fluid. So you might find yourself rewriting a program to deal with new needs.

5. Employee Review

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at CGI (More than a year)

Pros

CGI provides a great working environment and respects their employees. I have enjoyed my time at CGI very, very much.

Cons

As with many other consulting firms, there is sometimes a disconnect when it comes to communication, perhaps due to the employee being located at the client site.

Advice to Management

It would be a big help if communication was improved so employees do not feel so isolated from their management.

6. Right direction

I worked at CGI full-time

Pros

Company appears to be heading in the right direction

Cons

Too many metrics and meetings

Advice to Management

Reduce redundant reporting and meetings - needs a process improvement review

Support staff contractors treated like trash

Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Staff Assistant in Arlington, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits-- company paid health insurance, stock options, 401K, etc. Recruiters were great and the company invested a lot of time with my security clearance.

Cons

Worked on client site on a Gov't contract. Support staff was treated poorly by Directors-- How can I do my job when I am running your personal errands on CGI's dime? Met with CGI HR to discuss a solution however, there wasn't much they could do because of the client. Was stressed to my brink, and couldn't take it anymore- had to leave. Disappointed that the position was not a good fit, but wouldn't not give CGI another chance. I would say working at Corporate would be a different experience.

Advice to Management

Don't just allow high turnover on client site. Gov't Directors should not be allowed to send their staff on personal errands. I did not sign on for a personal assistant position. Maybe have more flexibility wit transferring within. I desperately tried to get onto another contract, and ran out of options and was forced to leave.

Cgi review

Pros

It's good company as far as share purchase matching, buy 1 get 1 free and you sell as soon as buy.

Cons

No internal or external training provided or no clear policies around it. Sometime you get impression that there is no budget for taining

Its okay

Current Employee - Customer Service Represintive in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Represintive in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Great benefits and everyone is seemingly friendly at the San Antonio office. They Claim a lot of room to advance and move up.

Cons

People tend to be clicky and play favorites. Being on certain peoples good sides makes your work experience a lot better than others and often you end up doing more work than you signed up for.

Leaving

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

Pros

Honestly, many of the people I met were great. Learned a ton

Cons

My situation was terrible. My manager was completely unrealistic and likely suffering from some degree of bipolar disorder/borderline personality. My manager was mean and rude, and would dig into me constantly. This went to the point where I was physically ill and had to leave. I was working 90 hour weeks and my compensation was not worth the time and pain. I would not even mind the hours if I was treated better. I think this company largley depends on your client and manager. It also seems like promotions are really slow, so it is probably best to leave after a year or 2 and take your skills elswhere for a better pay.

Advice to Management

Do not hire lunatics, allow for work/life balance. Workaholics tend to be innefective, copmanies like Boston Consulting are doing grein the at market because employees have time for creativity and self expression.

11. I will not will here again No Matter how much the pay raise is

I have been working at CGI full-time

Pros

A job pays rents and bills; some long term projects and lots of short term projects. Get some experience after college.

Cons

Micro-managing and indirect management style cause drama and confusion. Lack of communication or no communication from the top to the bottom. - But management will make it sounds like - Miscommunication. Company is growing too fast and has little money and time to train their employees. Company tends to be the lowest bidder on many projects/all projects. So, hiring local resources and college new hires is a new trend. Plus, lack of training, that makes the project work for employees very difficult. Project depends on you to figure it out and how to do your work. You can not come to the management for support, because a lot of them do not know what they are doing. Little to none advancement/growth; Office politics are on every level of the organization, even on entry level. One coworker has been with the company for 10 years and never gotten a formal annual evaluation. So, he never gotten a pay raise. Promotion with no pay raise is expected. Bench period between projects. If you don't have connections and cannot land a project on your own, you are gone after 3 weeks of bench time. No stability. Once your job is completed, even the project hasn't gone live yet, you may be micro managed to be taken off the project to save project costs. Sometimes this may happen with a very short notice! They don't value talent. They will sqeeze you out because you make other people look bad. Management bad mouth about their own resources in front of clients. Make clients feel less confident about CGI resources. HR is very good at getting good resources on board but management is lack of managing skills to keep them with the company. A lot of people on management role seems having bipolar and acted very rude, because they don't like their job either.

Advice to Management

Value your employees.

Showing 1,935 of 1,989 reviews