CGI

www.cgi.com
Employer Engaged

The website made me do it

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

None none none none none

CGI Company Review

Current Employee - Functional Lead
    Current Employee - Functional Lead

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are several great projects, and plenty of opportunities, so unlike many consulting companies, you are rarely "on the bench" for an extended period of time, and you have several options if you want to move to another project. There are a lot of great people to work with and learn from, and the work/life balance is great. CGI is a great place to begin your consulting career.

Cons

CGI, at least in the Federal sector, has a high turnover rate, and in my view, there are several reasons for this. For one, the company does a very poor job of providing training. Learning as you go has its benefits, but also its limitations. It also is known to pay slightly under market, and raises can be rather paltry, with no bonuses given. The company is notorious for giving promotions without accompanying raises. The health benefits have deteriorated signficantly in the past several years.

If retaining valued and knowledgeable employees is truly valued by management, increase salaries. Any salary increase under 3% isn't really a "raise", because it's less than the rate of inflation.

CGI San Antonio is not a friendly place to work

Former Contractor - Phone Center for ACA I Was A Temporary Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at CGI as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The best thing about the job were the other temporary employees. We had a great time helping each other. Some of the perms were nice to.

Cons

Head manager (?) was mean. He bullied the CGI employees, especially some that don't deserve it, but he is buddy buddy with the worse ones. and he kept saying bad things about people that aren't there. He is a very negative person.

I might try to come back to work there if they change the bad vibes in the office. It could be a nice place to work.

Billing hours is the only priority at CGI

Current Employee - Consultant in Belton, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Belton, TX

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent 401k and employee stock ownership programs. Great vacation and time off policies. Good medical insurance, considering current market environment.

Cons

The team I worked on was geographically dispersed and poorly managed with no accountability. Management’s primary concern was billing hours, not doing a good job for the client.

During my employment, I observed two college recruiting cycles. CGI hired recent IT graduates who assumed they were going to be software developers. There are no contracting slots for trainee developers. CGI management places these graduates into dead-end jobs doing testing under the guidance of more experienced and expensive senior consultants. This seems to be CGI’s business model.

The first job out of college with no experience is hard to get, but I don’t know anybody who liked being at CGI. If there is a choice of offers, consider the other offer.

CGI, another consulting company that treats employees as numbers

I worked at CGI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working in government projects might be more stable in financial down time. CGI has a lot of ERP customers in the public sectors. It might give some the opportunity how an large scale ERP implementation looks like.

Cons

They tend to over work their employees and expect them to travel 100% if needed. It is all about the budget, career path or growth of the employees is in the bottom of their list.

Have a little bit of heart and get to know your employees. Send them to training and conferences and think about the career path for all and not just the blessed few. Instead of spending tons of money on booze in parties, give people decent raises.

Decent Company, Limited Growth

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Early on you can get 10% raises every year (although your salary starts low, and this goes away after a period of time)
    Managers are nice and personable
    Company is very successful; reliable work

Cons

Limited growth; the company claims you can "pick your career path," but once they get you in a certain skill set they prefer you to stay there
    Grossly underpay their consultants; will not pay you competitive wages unless you A) ask them repeatedly or B) come in with a new job offer and threaten to leave
    Structure of company is very isolated; very difficult to make lateral moves into working with different solutions or industries
    Very "old school" in how it deals with employees; expects 10-15 yrs commitment and doesn't offer clear training opportunities or paths on how to increase skill set/take on more responsibility

To become more attractive to the younger generation, you need to increase the fluidity of your positions and offer more current training programs to learn software that is used more broadly and gain current certifications and skills that are in demand across IT/software consulting companies

Happiness depends on location, team, management.

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vacation time, floating holidays, competitive benefits, ability to move within company, some members work from home.

Cons

Management often in positions from friendship instead of ability. Talk of caring and supporting employees on grand level, on local level this is non-existent.

Pay is low for experience

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Durham, NC

I have been working at CGI

Pros

They give flexible time off

Cons

Low bid the current contract, so low salaries.

Good intentions, but over-managed and weak delivery.

Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance was achievable and the employee stock purchase plan was a very good. Local delivery was a plus for reducing consultant travel.

Cons

Too frequent management changes in our business unit resulted in changing direction too frequently. Too many people managing rather than doing required excessive reporting to management. Local capabilities and delivery were lacking, our B.U. was too dependent on other BUs for delivery support.

Provide more senior management stability within the business units, strengthen focus on local capabilities and delivery and reduce internal calls and reporting requirements to allow employees to focus on actual customer work and interaction.

Great Place to learn and grow

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people, Good work culture, flexible timings, Good Opportunity to work with experienced and smart peoples.

Cons

Compensation and benefits are not so great. career growth is slow, you have to be lucky to get into the right project with right client.