CGI

1,448 Reviews
1,448 Reviews

CGI President, CEO, and Director Mike Roach
Mike Roach

Pros
  • work-life balance is good; work can be challenging; good people; stock match is good (in 146 reviews)

• I get to work from home without burdensome managers' administrative requirements (in 106 reviews)

Cons
  • Work starts only at Canada time that is by evening IST so hampers work life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Less/zero trainings and very few opportunities for career growth (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

160 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to start at

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working at CGI, but I think it really depends on the team you get put on and if you're lucky to get a good manager, which could be said about any company really. My manager was great in giving me a variety of challenging tasks with the freedom to do them how I thought was best. I've heard that a lot of people will get assigned one type of task and get stuck there but that wasn't the case for me and so I was able to learn a lot about different things and decide what I wanted to focus on going forward. They definitely cared about where I wanted my career to go.

Cons

Pay is average. When you're coming right out of school it's a good amount of money until you realize other companies will pay you more to do similar (if not the same) thing.

Excellet company to work for

Current Employee - Systems Architect in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Architect in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Colleagues are largely friendly and helpful. Some program managers could be unhelpful as far as dealing with the clients go.

Cons

Company took a PR hit because of the ACA website fiasco.

More support for employees who are working for Government clients

CGI Federal is a great place to work and has a great feel of people that work with you.

Current Employee - IT Asset Management Administrator in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - IT Asset Management Administrator in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is looking to help. Great experience as an Intern.

Cons

I haven't faced any big challenges yet, but if so I am ready for them.

Very dependent on project you are working on

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

One project I worked on was very good with excellent people, great teamwork, and high morale even under extreme pressure. Everyone pulled together, good sharing of knowledge, and everyone worked hard to get the job done under extremely challenging conditions. Company worked hard to compensate for long hours by providing free lunches/dinners, and some extra compensation for long hours.

Cons

A second project was the exact reverse of the first project. Claimed that schedule was tight, but often times when someone completed a task the technical lead had no new task to give them. One of several signs of extreme disorganization. This caused low morale, and several people leaving within a short period of time. Seemed to be split by new members of the project versus people who had been on the project for quite some time. New members often were not tasked well, and were not given enough chance to understand the business functions. Technical lead bad-mouthed some new members to others on the project, which got back to new members making them feel unappreciated and not being given proper chance. Management seemed not to care about this as long as work was getting done.

Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to start as college hires
    Reasonably big company to start

Cons

High turn over rate
    The product has too much defect
    Understaffed with project
    Overtime give you flex time which you can't use

Helpdesk Support

Former Employee - Help Desk Support in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Help Desk Support in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was able to work from home.

Cons

The turn over rate is bad.

I think that mangement should hire / promote people from within the company.

Flexible Work Environment

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good work to life balance. Great flexibility depending on the project. CGI is really good for families with small children. Investors also love CGI. They have grown exponentially over the past 10 years.

Cons

Compensation is something that some people complain about but I am not sure if that is due people's desire to be paid more or if CGI's compensation is a little below the industry average. My guess is both.

Keep up the good work.

Mediocre - feel they miss the boat quite often

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I worked at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good place to start your career, reasonable pay

Cons

limited growth potential, poor reputation in the market

none

Find another Company to Work for

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Paycheck, it is a job. Good people to work with and a decent environment. Upward mobility if you are willing to work 60+ hours a week.

Cons

Benefits are poor, each year more benefits are taken away or reduced. Looks good on the outside, hey you get to purchase Vision Care - go to use it and find out the benefit is very limited. Health benefit reduced every year and is now terrible - pay $$$$ for catastrophic coverage only. Balance of the reward system goes to Management and Shareholders on the back of employees.

US Division is disconnected from Canada - US managements needs to attract and retain better talent by fighting for better employee compensation. Weed out management that does not contribute TOO MANY Layers! Internal Departments that SHOULD be responsive to employees are terrible. Try and get any issue resolved in 4-6 months with HR, IT - not going to happen! Established a coporate culture - it is about me. Management needs to listen to employees - they haven't for years and employees are stopping trying to help the company.

CGI Is A Dysfunctional, Blended Family

Current Employee - Multimedia Specialist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Multimedia Specialist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at CGI full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a very stable company. With so many markets and regions under its divisions, CGI can provide the option of transfers in your immediate area or around the country. For those with varied IT interests, you have many options here.

Also, CGI provides the benefits that employees who've worked in the professional corporate environment are used to: health care, life crisis solutions (free counseling, adoption support) and internal professional mentoring (if you're not on one of the contracts).

Cons

CGI has doubled in size since it acquired my former company 4 years ago through subsequent mergers.

If you work on a contract in the federal side of the business, you will feel like a stepchild. I work on one of the most high-profile defense projects and we've had 4 Program Managers i just over 2 years. Only one stayed close to a year. But the turnover is seen throughout our office. There is zero harmony or morale among our ranks. And ideas to revitalize our respective departments are often overlooked.

Invest in leadership! Bring people who are motivated to drive the passion of the business. There's no camaraderie, and therefore no collective incentive to persevere.

Turnover at the top is one of the most counteractive forces in the work environment.