CH2M HILL

Updated December 15, 2014
3.1

CH2M HILL CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman

Pros
  • good work life balance if you are in the right group and most groups are great (in 30 reviews)

• I've always benefited from the flexible work schedule that CH2MHILL prides itself upon (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • New hires learn quickly that work/life balance, career opportunities, training and respect are only fleeting promises used for recruiting (in 11 reviews)

• Unfortunately skills of upper management are not equal in all sectors (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Experience has varied greatly.

Current Employee - Scientist in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Redding, CA

I have been working at CH2M HILL part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, flexible and allows for work life ballence

Cons

Matrix organization. No accountability. Projects are hard to control as middle management takes over.

Work more with employees that work with the clients and listen and engage with those employees

A great engineering and consulting company focused on being a global leader.

I worked at CH2M HILL

Pros

A very strong history of doing great work for their clients and building lasting relationships that provide employees with meaningful work. On the forefront of virtual teams allowing many employees to work from home while delivering complex projects. The leadership is fairly flat but can be complex given the matrix type organization that is has grown into. Provides a lot of opportunity for driven individuals who have technical know-how. Benefits and compensation are competitive, especially for strategic hires.

Cons

Given the size of the firm, certain groups can make the employee feel lost in the numbers. Growth in high risk contracts has been a challenge. Experience can vary significantly depending on the office (which is true for a lot of large firms).

Provide more control to local offices. Maintain transparency to keep your employees engaged and satisfied with the leadership of the company.

CH is facing some big challenges, but I have faith in our CEO

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I love this company, and I have faith that Jacque Hinman and her team can turn this ship back around. The communication from executive leadership is stronger and more transparent than it's ever been, even though we're facing some serious financial challenges.

CH2M HILL offers challenging projects and opportunities, and it's been a great place for me to work for 25 years. I have a strong work/life balance and I've never been bored. I own stock and I'm optimistic that we will jump over our hurdles and emerge a stronger, better company.

Most of my coworkers are great! One of the best things about this company is the people.

I also love the company's focus on sustainability, diversity, and ethics.

Cons

Inconsistency across the market groups and leadership. Some of the people in leadership roles are less effective and skilled than others. I believe that some managers have made unethical decisions (that's what I hear on the grapevine). Our last CEO and his team seemed to make some really bad decisions and seemed only interested in making money for themselves...that's why we are struggling now, trying to clean up the mess they left behind.

Hold people accountable to ethical behavior. All managers should have 360 reviews. If someone is not a strong, admired, and respected leader, get him/her out of that position.

Great Place to work and experience life!

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to develop ones career!

Cons

Need to get back to the basics and focus on the original values of the company!

Keep up the good work in communicating the situation of the company and listen more to the employees ideas.

Used to be an excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Environmental Scientist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employee owned - stock purchasing program. Cross business group opportunities

Cons

Recently lost some large contracts so there is not enough work for current employees

Not as good to their employees as they used to be. CH2M Hill is currently laying off 1200 people.

I worked at CH2M HILL

Pros

Good pay, comfortable working conditions.

Cons

Women not valued as much as men.

Past Employee

I worked at CH2M HILL

Pros

Good people to work with. Strong talented staff makes the difference as support from management is fleeting. As a simply number to management they are more concerned with themselves than the client projects. But if you can survive on an island working only with the folks around you, you can have fun here. Good work hours as you put in your time and leave.

Cons

each employee is simply a number to the firm. little care as to how the employees feel or think. What makes the senior leadership look good is the only concern nor the welfare of the employees and staff. If senior management looks good, regardless if it requires selling out staff, then everything must be perfect.

Start caring about the people and talent you have working the projects. That would actually be something different and may change the attitude of staff. We are not just a number.

Good Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great people. Work-life balance was tough for me. Ability to grow is good. Most of the groups I worked with were top-notch.

Cons

Benefits are expensive. Severance pay is very low. In some groups, bad behavior is allowed and even rewarded.

Do not condone bad behavior of corporate staff. Open your eyes to potential bad behaviors that negatively affect clients and internal staff, then make corrections. Just because an employee has been at CH for quite some time, it does not automatically mean that they are working well with others and in the best interests of the company.

Leadership Matters during times of challenge

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good reputation. Smart engineers and technical people.

Cons

The culture does not produce nor reward leadership--- it rewards friendly "yes" people that ignore business realities. As a result, the company, for years, ignored big business and financial challenges that are now very, very urgent. The best years are in the past, and the future will be hard.

Leadership during a crisis is hard. Step up. Embrace mature talent and transition out old culture people that do not create value.

Eh.

I have been working at CH2M HILL part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice flexibility with work/home.

Cons

Seem like if you aren't some form of manager or are in good with them you are valued as much.

More training.