CH2M HILL

Updated February 25, 2015
3.1

CH2M HILL CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman

Pros
  • good work life balance if you are in the right group and most groups are great (in 30 reviews)

• I've always benefited from the flexible work schedule that CH2MHILL prides itself upon (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • New hires learn quickly that work/life balance, career opportunities, training and respect are only fleeting promises used for recruiting (in 11 reviews)

• Unfortunately skills of upper management are not equal in all sectors (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

A great engineering and consulting company focused on being a global leader.

I worked at CH2M HILL

Pros

A very strong history of doing great work for their clients and building lasting relationships that provide employees with meaningful work. On the forefront of virtual teams allowing many employees to work from home while delivering complex projects. The leadership is fairly flat but can be complex given the matrix type organization that is has grown into. Provides a lot of opportunity for driven individuals who have technical know-how. Benefits and compensation are competitive, especially for strategic hires.

Cons

Given the size of the firm, certain groups can make the employee feel lost in the numbers. Growth in high risk contracts has been a challenge. Experience can vary significantly depending on the office (which is true for a lot of large firms).

Provide more control to local offices. Maintain transparency to keep your employees engaged and satisfied with the leadership of the company.

GOOD COMPANY.

Current Employee - Field Construction Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Field Construction Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

Very friendly environment that values an employee.

Cons

Almost too large of a company to where its hard to get a promotion.

Structural Engineering Intern

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

Great co-workers on an extraordinarily intelligent and skilled team which can help you grow your technical knowledge.

Cons

The nature of the project was such that some of it was repeatable but that's required for engineering I suppose because if we started from scratch every time, we'd be out of a job.

Make sure the young engineers can get their hands on analysis programs and not just detailing the plans.

An employee owned company composed of honest & creative engineers and scientists

Current Employee - Project Engineer Federal Contracts
    Current Employee - Project Engineer Federal Contracts

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I work on a project where the main focus is environmetal remediation. The people I work with are focused on taking lands that have been contaminated and making them pure again. It's a nice thing to end the day knowing that yu are part of a creative team of people who work hard to un-do past environmental degradation. I find the people I workwith hard working, honest, creative and easy to get a long with.

Cons

The world of consulting is always an extra challenge. You not only need to work hard and do the assigned work but you must always be ready for the times when the current project is complete and you need to switch gears. CH2MHILL could do a lot more in the realm of helping employees with the stress of business development and with the stress of always needing project numbers for billing.

When major mistakes are made at the managment level due to chasing very large design build projects please don't punish the engineering business groups for the loss of capitol. Please don't make them pay for or feel responsible for mistakes they did not create nor had anything to do with.

Great company with good benefits and a lot of opportunities.

Current Employee - Wastewater Treatment Operator in The Villages, FL
    Current Employee - Wastewater Treatment Operator in The Villages, FL

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

Lots of room for advancement if you apply yourself. There are endless possibilities. Good pay with benefits. Great people to work with. The veteran staff is excellent at on the job training. Great place if you're looking for a career. A lot of diversity in job categories at the villages project so there is some good cross training if take advantage of it.

Cons

A little top heavy with management but it's understandable with the amount of different job categories we offer one boss couldn't handle it all.

Great company and a great place to work. I'm very happy here and I will be with the company until i retire. Thank you for my opportunity I will make the most I can out of it.

Intern

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly
    Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at CH2M HILL

Pros

Great management
    Friendly workplace
    Opportunities for advancement

Cons

Not a great amount of work depending on the office
    At times finding work was like pulling teeth from the Project Managers

Give more work to interns so they can get a fantastic experience..as well as help pay for Living situations over the summer.

CH2M Hill has changed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at CH2M HILL

Pros

Pros-Coworkers are friendly and helpful

Cons

Cons-Stressful and overworked without adequate compensation

Bring back Ralph's values

Large company but not a good culture fit

Former Employee - Staff Engineer
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Since it's a large company, ability to work on large, challenging projects. Opportunity to travel/work share. My pay was fairly competitive. Nice retirement package and employee discount to purchase company shares.

Cons

Everyone has different experiences, but I didn't mesh well with the people I worked with. Very focused on being billable as other people have noted (communications sent about using PTO during holidays if not billable). Tried transferring to a different office but apparently wasn't a "good fit" so ended up getting laid off. I've fit in very well at other companies I've worked at so maybe the people are difficult to get along with (maybe they are too cocky?).

When I worked there, company revenue decreased but earnings increased (trimming administrative costs and payroll as I experienced first hand) while share price increased so from my perspective they are not growing organically, just accounting tricks to make the numbers look better.

Upper management: Clueless about our business and people.

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Once was a great company.

Cons

Our current upper management don't understand how we make money or deliver projects for our clients.

Please leave before the money makers do.

used to be great company

I worked at CH2M HILL

Pros

interesting projects and opportunities to work

Cons

poor work life balance =either too much or too little work and no work load leveling among work groups; management is not focused/poor management; serious financial troubles currently; company undergoing restructuring//terminations= poor morale

get back to the basics- bring this company back to what it used to be; provide training (used to be avail to all employees, not just a select few); train operation leads to work load level and mentor