CH2M HILL Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.1

CH2M HILL CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman

Pros
  • good work life balance if you are in the right group and most groups are great (in 27 reviews)

• I've always benefited from the flexible work schedule that CH2MHILL prides itself upon (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Disrespectful coworkers, long hours, no work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• This all goes on while upper management sits and entertains on some mysterious budget (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a very good experience working for CH2M hill.

Former Employee - Staff Engineer II  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer II in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Open door policy and plenty of projects to keep me interested. You can carve your own path and follow what interests you with the support of your direct supervisor.

Cons

The PEP is a good tool for determining merit increases and streamlining your personal career objectives. It would be better suited if the supervisors/upper management didn't try to cap or keep employees in the mets expectations category as quite a few exceed expectations annually.

Hopefully in a turnaround after a rough couple of years

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people are smart, energetic, and technologically savvy. Benefits are very good. Company places high value on ethics and integrity. Employee owned!

Cons

Our industry continues to suffer in the wake of the recession -- overheads are constantly being cut. Some of the fun has left the culture.

If you love your employees, your employees will work hard for you.

Friendly environment and many opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at CH2M HILL as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People are willing to help at all levels; environment is friendly, professional, and productive; many opportunities to learn and travel; can get coverage for just about anything; high-profile clients with big budgets; technologically advanced/up-to-date; technical assistance center is knowledgeable and can be quick

Cons

Hard to find what you need on internal network and resolutions to technical issues sometimes require diligence

Not much to say, but I think many workers would appreciate a career/personal development-driven PEP (Performance Enhancement Process--yearly evaluation) rather than a salary-driven one

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good company that takes reasonable care of its people for an e and c company.

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Strong emphasis on developing people. Compensation at market but incentives are challenged due to performance. Good stock program for sr people. Some very strong market positions such as water and environmental. Historically, stock has done very well though not recently due to some bad projects.

Cons

Recent performance has pressured some of the groups severely resulting in cutbacks and layoffs. Lots of sr management changes and overhead cutbacks. Lots of changes in strategy and focus, ie fixed price construction. very Denver centric company sometimes doesn't listen well to local operations and feedback.

Listen to the people in the field. Thick filters keep the facts from getting to the top!

Great Team to Work with on Site

Former Employee - Receiving  in  Nonesuch, MI
    Former Employee - Receiving in Nonesuch, MI

I worked at CH2M HILL as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

They have a very professional staff on site. Everyone works together.

Cons

Needs a set Structure for each Department and it needs to be followed.

Need to take Lessons Learned Seriously. You have a great Company, but it can be greater!

I enjoy the culture CH2M HILL has to offers.

Current Employee - Subcontracts Administrator  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Subcontracts Administrator in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time for more than a year

Pros

The work environment at CH2M HILL is very different than other companies I've worked for other companies that don't send half the time making the employee comfortable and needed.

Cons

The 4 hour commute that I have to make everyday. The other thing I find interesting is that when I'm light on billable hours(which is 95% billable) I have email other Operation leads for work.

To put into place a proper training program for subcontracts administrator

CH2M Hill

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive salaries and benefits. Opportunity to move around the country in other locations and affiliates.

Cons

Favoritism among long time employees. Expect professionals to do all their own clerical work resulting in 50-60 hour work weeks at times.

Once in awhile find solutions to suggestion box issues instead of justifying why you are always right. Don't say you are going to provide lunch to all employees for a job well done and then don't do it!

IT Management has no clue

Current Employee - IT Sys Administrative  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT Sys Administrative in Denver, CO

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some pros are good pay, time off, and teleworking. Most employees really care about the company and are very smart people.

Cons

The Company is starting to struggle and needs new management, IT management only care about themselves and has really gone downhill. A lot of really good people have left.

Mixed experience as an environmental PM

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting project work lots of challenging projects that can help you build your skill set. Very strong and talented people. Good paid time off after five years. Good front line management. Very flexible work schedule, ability to work from home often or telecommute full time. Employee ownership.

Cons

Very bad management at the enterprise level. Multiple managers doing the same job as a result of constant reorganization of management. Very poor business planning. The most important goal of management has been short term stock price increase. Stretch projections provided by the BD group are unrealistically augmented. This gives the perception that goals are being set base on what is needed to increase the stock price rather than what can realistically be achieved. Goals are missed and massive overhead cuts occur. This has been the theme for the past couple years. Micromanagement of projects by some of the project delivery managers. The environmental group is viewed as a second class outfit, even though this is the most profitable group.

Read the Little Yellow Book and follow the principals outlined. Quoting from the book, then doing the opposite builds massive distrust of the management by employees.

"Good" but not Great

Current Employee - Construction Manager
    Current Employee - Construction Manager

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time for more than a year

Pros

All my co-workers are great, they are very diligent and will help out if I get stuck or take on to many projects.

Cons

The pay is lower then expected for a construction manager, and it seem like we are looked down on for our occupation even though most of were engineers at one point.

Try to add some intensive for junior construction managers , there is a reason why you have a high turn over rate.

Worked for CH2M HILL? Contribute to the Community!