CH2M HILL

CH2M HILL Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

CH2M HILL CEO Jacqueline Hinman

Jacqueline Hinman

Pros
  • good work life balance if you are in the right group and most groups are great(in 27 reviews)

• I've always benefited from the flexible work schedule that CH2MHILL prides itself upon(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Disrespectful coworkers, long hours, no work life balance(in 7 reviews)

• This all goes on while upper management sits and entertains on some mysterious budget(in 12 reviews)

Fabulous Company and Culture!

ProsGreat culture. Cannot highlight the company culture enough. The Yellow Book is a very strong moral compass for the company. Hires within usually for leadership positions which maintains culture and values.

ConsVery few.Very few.Very few.Very few.Very few.Very few.Very few.

Generally ok except long term employment ended due to a corporation change in risk profile.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA large E&C company with many assets and a good name in the industry.

ConsCompany has grown significantly through acquisition of smaller firms. Growing pains are sometimes prevalent.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs you grow, remember and consider your employees. They are your assets. Make your training opportunities also available to older, experienced staff as well as the up and coming favorites. Be aware of the individual's need to progress in the company; deep in at least the group I was in, promotions do not come to most staff members. Favorites are promoted multiple times leaving the masses stagnate for years.

Procurement Summer Intern/Co-op

Procurement Co-Op (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsLearned a lot and gained experience in many aspects of the procurement process. Being that it is an internship/co-op, everyone was very willing to teach you the ropes and let you help out. Great group of diverse people. Able to interact with people from different departments on a regular basis. Flexible with scheduling.

ConsSince you are doing work for some big corporations, there are obviously some formalities that you must adhere to. The work is not all that challenging and can be tedious at times, but it is a great opportunity for someone interested in procurement or someone who does not yet have experience in a professional environment.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My review of CH2M Hill

ProsGreat coworkers. Benefits are marginal. PTO is great.

ConsThe company is too big. Higher ups tried to grow the company too quickly without thinking of the lower end of the totem poll.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the offices back. I bet you couldn't find 10% of the Denver employees who believe cubicles promote a good work environment. The company is currently passing off as cheap. And there is a huge difference between financial savvy and cheap. Cheap means someone is getting the short end of the stick, and it's not the executives.

Used to love it, now only like it

ProsPTO is good after 5 years. 401k match (small but there is one). Projects I get to work on are diverse. Most people I work with are really great but I'm lucky to be in a good group under a very good manager.

ConsLeadership in general is terrible. Managers don't seem to have any real management skills and are just put into the position because they need a body. Everything is done via email boxes, HR even. This is bad in my opinion. Too big, growth by acquisitions and integration over the last few of these has not been good. Promotions/raises/rare bonuses are really determined by your manager (better hope you have a good one) and politics. Also, it seems that instead of managers dealing with problem employees, they promote them out of their group. Too flat an organization-no accountability. Learning and development budgets always get cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart acting like you actually care about ALL of your employees. There are a lot of us worker bees out there that feel like our managers are absent, unskilled, uncaring or just overwhelmed. Middle managers need training and support to learn how to manage effectively instead of just putting out fire drills.

Good Flexibility on scheduling, bad management and training.

Wastewater Treatment Operator (Current Employee)

ProsPTO is excellent, if anything having time off is almost too easy as alot of employees including management often miss work. I have found alot of good people in the company that are willing to help regardless of what position they hold.

ConsManagement seems very disjointed and at times a bit overbearing. It seems people are thrown into positions with little to no training or support and then get in trouble for not knowing things about the position.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better support and training to people on the projects, often employees feel like they are left on an island with no outside support to employees.

doing okay but need more management experiences

Prosgood work life balance if you are in the right group and most groups are great. nice people
    people would recognize the ch2m hill name.

Conssome managers don't have any management skills which makes everything miserable. no space of advancing. promoting and salary increasing is all about the time you have been with the firm. lots of policies and relationships everywhere.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more efficient.

Difficult

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsEmployee owned, flexible hours,

ConsTerrible regional management, no accountability

Afraid We Are Losing Our Way

Project Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsRemnants of former culture still offer ability to keep the values in the LYB

ConsFailure to Grow, failure to stop the bleeding in the construction service area. Allow long-term, low value, high cost employees to remain

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on sales and stop doing certain things

Company is dysfunctional and reacts to changes, rather than proactively prohibiting problems. Rigid executive management

Project Management I (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat benefits and diversity programs

ConsRigid management; too many business groups and forced umbrella processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to what they excel in - Program management, water, and transportation. Stop trying to make every group fit the mold.

Worked for CH2M HILL? Contribute to the Community!