CH2M HILL

Updated January 25, 2015
3.1

CH2M HILL CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman

Pros
  • good work life balance if you are in the right group and most groups are great (in 30 reviews)

• I've always benefited from the flexible work schedule that CH2MHILL prides itself upon (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • New hires learn quickly that work/life balance, career opportunities, training and respect are only fleeting promises used for recruiting (in 11 reviews)

• Unfortunately skills of upper management are not equal in all sectors (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work life balance, bottom line comes down to stock price.

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

Work- life balance is great

Cons

All about the stock price

No backlog

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

Work life balance the company offers

Cons

Challenges are the ability for the office to obtain and maintain projects which creates a revolving door and loss of talent. Layoff percentage is high.

Good place to work

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

CH2M HILL is a great place to work. Friendly environment and they are taking care of people very good. I have the best supervisor ever.

Cons

Nothing to complain. Government is one of our biggest client, because of that we need to follow all the tedious and complicated regulation.

Large firm with small firm feel

Current Employee - Construction Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Construction Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company provides a family atmosphere with the best supervisors of any company out there. Compensation and benefits are excellent and there is a large, diverse group of projects for engineers to work on and grow in to.

Cons

As engineers become more senior within firm, work/life balance becomes increasing shifted to work.

Corporate Disconnect

I have been working at CH2M HILL

Pros

I am fortunate to have my job and was not included in recent layoffs.

Cons

Company cutting jobs and overhead, yet are spending money on 'rebranding' and cute internal facebook look-alike. There seems to be a huge disconnect somewhere along the line. Employees are questioning actions.

Corporate management needs to take a good hard look on what messages are being sent to employees by their actions

On a downward slide

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Reasonable work/life balance, interesting projects, many smart and innovative people.

Cons

Agree with those who've remarked on the company's downward spiral particularly in the past couple of years. I was among those let go in the recent layoffs, but don't harbor any ill will. I actually feel relieved, because while the first few years were great, I realized how much I grown to dislike what I was doing over the past year leading up to the recent changes. Besides those who took voluntary retirement or let go in the RIF, much top talent is leaving of their own accord and morale among those remaining is in decline. Consensus sentiment I've heard is that things will get worse before they get better.

Figure out what you want to be; you can't be all things to all people. Need discipline and focus to right the ship.

Environmental Scientist

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time

Pros

Great learning environment with room to grow.

Cons

Upper management made poor choice when bidding on projects that became costly for the company.

Working at CH2M HILL

I worked at CH2M HILL

Pros

Flexible hours and promotes teleworking

Cons

The push to be 100% billable is extremely stressful, especially when the management is unwilling to help looking for the work. In the event someone is short on work, one is forced to take vacation time or go without pay, and this is unfair to the employees. The management is unwilling to provide an overhead number to help out the employees during periods of low project work.

Used to be a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time

Pros

When I first worked at CH2M Hill it was one of the best companies I had ever worked for. They treated their employees well and focused on the Yellow Book values from the founders of the company. I worked with a great group of people with flexible hours and a laid back environment.

Cons

With the past 2 CEO changes the company has changed a lot. The empoyee focused environment doesn't really exist anymore, it became more like any other company. They pushed back raises to start in April instead of January several years ago. The raises were never very good, 2-3% for a top performer. Several years ago they donated the money set aside for the holiday party to a charity, and the company never had another holiday party after that year.

Return the focus on employees. Make project managers accountable for their projects successes and failures.

Great experience, poor compensation

Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Environmental Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great flexibility to make your own schedule and work on a diverse background of projects.

Cons

Compensation feels inadequate, especially for the area that I live in.