CH2M HILL Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014

CH2M HILL CEO Jacqueline Hinman
Jacqueline Hinman

Pros
  • good work life balance if you are in the right group and most groups are great (in 28 reviews)

• I've always benefited from the flexible work schedule that CH2MHILL prides itself upon (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • New hires learn quickly that work/life balance, career opportunities, training and respect are only fleeting promises used for recruiting (in 9 reviews)

• Unfortunately skills of upper management are not equal in all sectors (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for if you aren't too old to cut the mustard.

Former Employee - Electrical & Instrumetation Design
    Former Employee - Electrical & Instrumetation Design

I worked at CH2M HILL as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

A relaxed atmosphere with frequent assignments. They have high expectations from every employee.

Cons

As most engineering consulting firms today, CH2MHILL wants young engineering graduates, interns, Engineers in Training, It becomes more of a hassle as competition increases. They also yield to social balance so that they must have men, women, blacks, Latinos, Eastern Indians. Meanwhile average retirement age for all of these groups continues to creep higher. We are living longer. Few have our mortgages paid off. Our spouses work. Our kids are still coming home for help. Our grandchildren are still coming. Families are spreading out over the nation. Air travel is becoming more dangerous. Hybrid automobiles are very expensive. Rents are at an all time high. Consider this, most engineering firms like to locate where industry needs them. Most engineers like to locate where living conditions are the most pleasant. Frequently at distances that make commuting impractical. So you are faced with having both, a mortgage and paying rent for an apartment; having to commute a great distance weekly; living apart from your spouse; eating out five days a week; placating a frustrated spouse; owning a second vehicle; the list goes on.

An Engineering Firm with large portfolio

Former Employee - Computer Support Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Computer Support Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The staff in the Portland office are good people. Knowledgeable, team players and it seems like family. There have outstanding client projects over the years I've been with the company that I'm proud to have been a part of.

Cons

There is a bit of "us vs. them" at play between the corporate office and the local office which has some staff in the local office sometimes at odds with their corporate counterparts.

Enjoyable

Former Employee - Project Manager in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Anchorage, AK

I worked at CH2M HILL as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Nice work environment, acceptable compensation.

Cons

Inflexible working schedule was unwilling to accommodate my 4 day work schedule that I had previously to being bought by CH2MHill.

None

Great Learning Experience but No Advancement Opportunities for Younger Staff

Former Employee - Transportation/Traffic Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Transportation/Traffic Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CH wins interesting and important infrastructure projects that provide an opportunity to quickly learn the industry. They offer flexibility to work from home and have a great group of people to work with. Very talented staff at regional leadership and mid-levels of company.

Cons

Promotions and raises are almost entirely experience-based. Young, ambitious staff will ultimately be frustrated, regardless of what you achieve.

1) The boom or bust strategy is clearly unsustainable - mega projects are profitable but the lack of a significantly diversified portfolio has led to major layoffs and overhead cutbacks (largely a result of previous CEO to be fair)
    2) If you want to attract top talent you have to reward top talent
    3) A little overhead spending goes a long way towards employee satisfaction

Former employee

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent health benefits compared to other large organizations; excellent vacation and time off policies.

Cons

Favoritism and “who-you-know” environment can make leaving a department impossible! No confidentiality in HR Department.

In some areas of the organization, managers/directors have been there too long and are stuck in their ways, which stifles progressive ideas. Hire new managers/directors with fresh ideas!

Good Company but Bad Areas

Current Employee - Senior Manager of Finance in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager of Finance in Denver, CO

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful Campus, Fitness Center and Cafteria on site
    Nice facilities
    Flexible work hours and telecomuting privaledges

Cons

Several key managers in my area walk around grumpy, depressed and have very little people skills. This rubs off on the employees that report to them making for a very intense and depressing atmosphere. These same managers are unapproachable and show little respect to peers. For example, the first week in my new role I was asking for help from one of the supervisors who I was told would help me. When I approached this person they told they would not help, in a very rude and disrespectful manner which created for a very awkward situation. I shared this with my direct manager and was told, "oh, that is just how this person is" and no further action was taken with this individual to address his behavior. Including this supervisor there were numerous meetings where these individuals did not even acknowledgement my existence.

Need to evaluate those individuals who lack people skills (regardless of the greatness of their technical abilities) and either remove them from their leadership roles or have serious conversations correcting behaviors.

22 years and still going strong at CH2M Hill

Current Employee - Senior Designer TA05 in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Designer TA05 in Albany, NY

I have been working at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work! Decent pay until you peak out in your career. Lots of worldwide job opportunities

Cons

If you do not have a "P.E" next to your name, you will never manage anything within the INC division. LGE is the only place for "lowlifes" to prosper. The company tends to take longtime employees for granted with much lower than cost of living raises.

Management could learn allot from 1 Timothy 5:18
    "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain"

Ethical

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Consistently named as one of the most ethical companies, and it's true. Good opportunities for employee development and training, and advancement within the company.

Cons

Salaries are lower than competitors, and management reminds you that the lack of $$ is offset by it being such a great place to work. Workloads aren't balanced across employees -- some people have too much and others have too little. People are silo-ed within their own business units.

Human Resources in an Engineering Company

Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Transferred in from a smaller CH2M Hill office in Tennessee. Definitely higher level of energy and flexibility required. Good benefits, committed to continued learning, good opportunities for advancement. Reasonable work-life balance depending on project work cycle. Ethical and fair. Really a great place to work.

Cons

The project is all. Managers worked to help employees with work-life balance but also an expectation to complete the work within client time-line and that can mean longer hours. Not outrageous, though.

Ch2mhill is a great company to work for.

I worked at CH2M HILL full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company is highly technical. Makes it easy to work from home.

Cons

The communication in the company.